On the warpath: Two Largest Native American Tribes strengthen bans on same sex marriage

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
Do you hear that? No? Well, what you don't hear are the screams of homophobia from the gay left over the two largest Native American tribes banning gay marriages. I support gay marriage, but I also find this ironic. Why not apply your criticism equally?

Even if a U.S. Supreme Court ruling this spring makes same-sex marriage the law, it would leave pockets of the country where it isn't likely to be recognized any time soon: the reservations of a handful of sovereign Native American tribes, including the nation's two largest.

Since 2011, as the number of states recognizing such unions spiked to 37, at least six smaller tribes have revisited and let stand laws that define marriage as being between a man and a woman, according to an Associated Press review of tribal records. In all, tribes with a total membership approaching 1 million won't recognize marriages between two men or two women.

Several explicitly declare that same-sex marriages are prohibited. And some have even toughened their stance.

In December, just weeks after North Carolina began issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples, the state's Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians updated its law to add language preventing gay couples from having marriage ceremonies performed on tribal land. The resolution changing the law, which passed 8-1, says court cases around the country prompted the tribe of about 13,000 enrolled members to review its own laws.

The Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma and the Navajo Nation, with about 300,000 members each, maintain decade-old laws that don't recognize same-sex marriage. Neither tribe has shown much sign of shifting.

AP Handful of holdout tribes dig in against gay marriage - NUJournal.com News Sports Jobs - The Journal New Ulm MN

That's awesome! Our history of following the lead of our Native American tribes is well known. We ought to continue to look to them for leadership.

Great thread.

Ugh, nobody is forcing Christian Churches to marry gays. Why is this so difficult for people to grasp?

That's awesome! Our history of following the lead of our Native American tribes is well known. We ought to continue to look to them for leadership.

I heard on FOX (I think it was FOX) that the Republicans are now considering adding a Native American to the Republican clown car. They are going to sit down and pow wow about this announcement soon. It's to counter the Lizzy Warren threat and keep the Native American vote reliably Repub.

Do Native Americans have to follow voter ID laws? Seeing as how they were here first?

Do you hear that? No? Well, what you don't hear are the screams of homophobia from the gay left over the two largest Native American tribes banning gay marriages. I support gay marriage, but I also find this ironic. Why not apply your criticism equally?

Even if a U.S. Supreme Court ruling this spring makes same-sex marriage the law, it would leave pockets of the country where it isn't likely to be recognized any time soon: the reservations of a handful of sovereign Native American tribes, including the nation's two largest.

Since 2011, as the number of states recognizing such unions spiked to 37, at least six smaller tribes have revisited and let stand laws that define marriage as being between a man and a woman, according to an Associated Press review of tribal records. In all, tribes with a total membership approaching 1 million won't recognize marriages between two men or two women.

Several explicitly declare that same-sex marriages are prohibited. And some have even toughened their stance.

In December, just weeks after North Carolina began issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples, the state's Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians updated its law to add language preventing gay couples from having marriage ceremonies performed on tribal land. The resolution changing the law, which passed 8-1, says court cases around the country prompted the tribe of about 13,000 enrolled members to review its own laws.

The Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma and the Navajo Nation, with about 300,000 members each, maintain decade-old laws that don't recognize same-sex marriage. Neither tribe has shown much sign of shifting.

AP Handful of holdout tribes dig in against gay marriage - NUJournal.com News Sports Jobs - The Journal New Ulm MN

All I saw was "handful". Get back to me when they all do, mkay?

btw..I once dated a gay american indian. Hung nicely, but uncut. Not my thing.

Great thread.

Cute. In one post you reveal the whole hypocrisy of the left. So, why aren't the Cherokee or Navajo hateful bigots for what they have done?

Great thread.

Cute. In one post you reveal the whole hypocrisy of the left. So, why aren't the Cherokee or Navajo hateful bigots for what they have done?
Their leaders behind this most certainly are :thup:

Black Baptist churches aren't too keen on Gay Marriage either.

It's going to be fun seeing the Social Justice Warriors being forced to choose sides.

Great thread.

Or you could just move to one of the (mostly dirt poor) reservations and save yourself from the "gay" war. Good luck with that.

Forum List

Back