Oregonians continue to protest

There's a Substantial Federal Presence in Eastern Oregon's Economy - Asset Publisher

As of 2012, the federal government employed an average of 28,100 workers in Oregon. As a share of nonfarm payroll employment, federal workers made up 1.7 percent of the total. In each of the six counties served by this newsletter, the federal workforce was an even bigger piece of the pie.

Graph 1 highlights the precise percentages of federal employment as a share of total nonfarm employment. In Harney and Grant counties, more than one in 10 nonfarm jobs are provided by the federal government. That's over six times the state average.

In fact, there are only two places in Oregon – Sherman County (15.2%) and Lake County (12.1%) – where the federal government is a more important contributor to the local job market than in Harney and Grant counties.

Sherman, Lake, Harney, and Grant are, by far, the Oregon counties most heavily affected by federal employment trends. No other county comes close. After those four, the next highest share in 2012 was in Crook County, at 5.9 percent. Baker County's 4.3 percent put it in sixth place for federal job dependency among Oregon's 36 counties in 2012.

At the other end of the spectrum, Washington County derived merely 0.3 percent of its nonfarm jobs from the federal government in 2012.

cef2f006-5b43-42cd-b1b4-6f777fd366ab

Having the Feds out of either county would just about destroy all that is left in either county.

Lol...you can pump that tripe to your gay lover all you like. It isn't true, and the residents of Grant County definitely aren't interested. Grant.county didn't sell out to the feds, and they are staunchly independent. If you kill somebody for trespassing, or in self defense...you'll get off.

Meanwhile, I love.Grant county.
Jury rules county did not discriminate against lesbian job applicant
Which has what to do with the fact that both counties are heavily dependent on the federal government for income? And for fighting the fires that have been devastating the region of late.

$10.6 million for Grant, 160 employed out of a total population of about 7500. $16.8 million for Harney, 290 employed out of a total population of about 7500. Not large figure compared to urban areas, but significant income for that size of population.

http://www.deanrunyan.com/doc_library/ORImp.pdf

Can't imagine going to either county as a tourist. The are places I drive through to get where I want to go. Never stop.

Well, for people like myself that love the pine mountains and high desert, it is truly beautiful country. And the Steens Mountain is truly a unique place.

Well, for people like myself that love the pine mountains and high desert, it is truly beautiful country. And the Steens Mountain is truly a unique place.

I live with the pines and high desert, just not there, grew up in Oregon and left it. Love the coast, love the Cascades, Crater Lake, no better NBA team than my Blazers. Just not in love with Burns or the Southeast part of the state.

Its crawling with people anymore. Ugh.

Forum List

Back