Originalism, which Amy Coney Barrett espouses, simply means the words of the Constitution are the law.

Any more deflections you'd like to throw around. I chose my cell phone number from a list of available numbers. Now why don't you answer my question?
Most US carriers will not let you choose your number any more. You would need to buy a number from a number broker or from another service and port your number in. ... Google Voice will let you pick your first number for free & then charge you $3 to unlock the number to be able to port it out to a cellular carrier.

This is clear when using textualism, that before trying to gleen the intent of those that wrote the law, you first go by the clear reading of the text they wrote.

And they clearly rejected paying subsidies for the federal exchange. Not only did they do it once, but 7 times throughout the law. How much more clear could they make it?

This is why we need professional lawmakers. So they put their intent into carefully chosen words. Often laws have unintended consequences when lawmakers don't fully vet the language.

That's why Barrett told the senators they should write better laws, but when it came to the ACA, the Roberts court salvaged their fatally flawed law. Hopefully the court can now rectify that mistake.

Any more deflections you'd like to throw around. I chose my cell phone number from a list of available numbers. Now why don't you answer my question?

It was already ruled that bank records like deposit slips are not personal records, but business records. The same with checks. You have no right to privacy against the bank disclosing them.

LMAO, no where in the Constitution did the founders conflate the rights of the people with States rights and powers or the powers granted to the federal government. The people always carries a meaning of individual citizens.

NOPE

First Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The people to peaceably assemble, is a collective, not an individual right.

One person is not allowed to stand in the middle of the street blocking traffic. But 100 people can do so.

LMAO, so you're saying 100 individuals can do more than 1, you got any more earth shattering revelations. But here's a hint, even the 100 would be breaking the law if they don't have a parade permit.

So let’s begin with a definition. In short, originalism is the idea that the words of the Constitution are the law, and they should be understood to mean what they meant when they were written and ratified. While this proposition is straightforward, the implications are profound. As Judge Barrett explains, the Constitution’s “meaning doesn’t change over time,” and as a judge, she does not have authority “to update it or infuse (her) own policy views into it.”

In other words, the Constitution doesn’t mean whatever you or I might want it to mean. The Constitution is not a vehicle for righting all the wrongs in society or ensuring that my preferred policies prevail even when they lose at the ballot box. The Constitution, as ratified by the people, means what it says. And constitutional interpretation requires judges to read and apply the actual written Constitution, no more and no less.

Judges looking to the original public meaning of the Constitution will not always agree. The law can be obscure and complex, and the Supreme Court decides hard questions on which smart people have probably disagreed. But originalist judges recognize an obligation to faithfully interpret the law as written even when the answer is difficult to discern.

An opinion piece but I agree with Originalism.

No. You don't.

Perhaps you should do some research on the topic. The effect is they got 40% less congressional representation than they would have, had they gotten their way of counting all slaves as a person. With the passage of the 14th Amendment they actually gained representatives.
Nope. The northern states argued that they should therefore count their pigs and cows as "people" since they held the same standing under law as slaves.

See Scott v Sandford USSC Judge Taney opinion of the court.

Most US carriers will not let you choose your number any more. You would need to buy a number from a number broker or from another service and port your number in. ... Google Voice will let you pick your first number for free & then charge you $3 to unlock the number to be able to port it out to a cellular carrier.

Never heard of that shit, are you going to answer my question or continue to deflect?

Ther are no such things as group rights. There are only Individual rights. Rights don't come as groups. They come as individuals.

Educate yourself, you look silly. Respectfully speaking.
In the 2010 case Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission (FEC), the most sweeping expansion of corporate rights yet

Corporations are GROUPS, and citizens united granted them collective group rights.

It was already ruled that bank records like deposit slips are not personal records, but business records. The same with checks. You have no right to privacy against the bank disclosing them.

What was the name of that case?

Perhaps you should do some research on the topic. The effect is they got 40% less congressional representation than they would have, had they gotten their way of counting all slaves as a person. With the passage of the 14th Amendment they actually gained representatives.
Nope. The northern states argued that they should therefore count their pigs and cows as "people" since they held the same standing under law as slaves.

That decision was issued almost 80 years after the Constitution was enacted. You got anything relevant to the constitutional debates?

United States v. Miller :: 425 US 435 (1976) - Justia Law
supreme.justia.com › cases › federal

(a) The subpoenaed materials were business records of the banks, not ... in the contents of the original checks and deposit slips, since the checks are not ... (d) Access to bank records under the Act is to be controlled by "existing legal process. ...

Ther are no such things as group rights. There are only Individual rights. Rights don't come as groups. They come as individuals.

In the 2010 case Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission (FEC), the most sweeping expansion of corporate rights yet

Corporations are GROUPS, and citizens united granted them collective group rights.

Bullshit, Citizens United was about the government suppressing the release of a movie that was critical of the bitch. Similarly the government argued in the case they had the authority to suppress books that espoused political opinions.

That decision was issued almost 80 years after the Constitution was enacted. You got anything relevant to the constitutional debates?
You claimed the southern states lost representation. They actually got 60% more than they were entitled to under the law that existed until the 13th amendment.

So let’s begin with a definition. In short, originalism is the idea that the words of the Constitution are the law, and they should be understood to mean what they meant when they were written and ratified. While this proposition is straightforward, the implications are profound. As Judge Barrett explains, the Constitution’s “meaning doesn’t change over time,” and as a judge, she does not have authority “to update it or infuse (her) own policy views into it.”

In other words, the Constitution doesn’t mean whatever you or I might want it to mean. The Constitution is not a vehicle for righting all the wrongs in society or ensuring that my preferred policies prevail even when they lose at the ballot box. The Constitution, as ratified by the people, means what it says. And constitutional interpretation requires judges to read and apply the actual written Constitution, no more and no less.

Judges looking to the original public meaning of the Constitution will not always agree. The law can be obscure and complex, and the Supreme Court decides hard questions on which smart people have probably disagreed. But originalist judges recognize an obligation to faithfully interpret the law as written even when the answer is difficult to discern.

An opinion piece but I agree with Originalism.
Every political faction, including conservatives, have twisted the wording to fit their agenda, but ya, tell us how you support originalism. A true Originalist would advocate gitting rid of all the Admendments that have been added through history and getting back to the 'Orignial' Constitution.

That's a lie, Amendments were specifically provided for in the original Constitution.

You can't expect a Dimwinger to have actually read the Constitution, much less comprehend it.
Amendments were specifically provided for in order to change the Constitution when needed..so much for 'originality'...You can't expect a Trumptard to have actually read the Constitution, much less comprehend it.
Hey Halfwit, Amendments to the Constitution are spelled out in the ORIGINAL CONSTITUTION.

How much more "originality" do you want, you raving lunatic?

Bullshit, Citizens United was about the government suppressing the release of a movie that was critical of the bitch. Similarly the government argued in the case they had the authority to suppress books that espoused political opinions.
Decided in 2010, in a 5-to-4 decision, the Supreme Court held that corporate funding of independent political broadcasts in candidate elections cannot be limited, because doing so would violate the First Amendment.

I thought the first amendment was an individual, not a corporate (group) right.

LMAO, no where in the Constitution did the founders conflate the rights of the people with States rights and powers or the powers granted to the federal government. The people always carries a meaning of individual citizens.

NOPE

First Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

One person is not allowed to stand in the middle of the street blocking traffic. But 100 people can do so.

First Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

United States v. Miller :: 425 US 435 (1976) - Justia Law
supreme.justia.com › cases › federal

(a) The subpoenaed materials were business records of the banks, not ... in the contents of the original checks and deposit slips, since the checks are not ... (d) Access to bank records under the Act is to be controlled by "existing legal process. ...

So tell the class how a subpoena, granted to a prosecutor and signed by a judge is any different than a search warrant issued to law enforcement and signed by a judge. Probable cause has to be demonstrated in both cases.

Link?

Why do I think the idiot meaner gene will disappear?

How are corporations different from unions?

Forum List

Back