Paid time off for me, no paid time off for you.

Its a bad idea for government pinheads to micro-manage businesses that they know nothing about

But businesses have no problem with these pinheads giving them billions.
Which businesses are you objecting to?

I'm not. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of people who aren't even sick being able to take time off and getting paid while denying others the ability to get paid while actually sick.

If what you're saying is that the working folks should get the same benefits as government employees, then why can't we all retire at the age of 55 like many government workers do?
Civilian employees should not be eligible for retirement till they reach 67

Two of my former coworkers were government employees, both retired at 55. They get a nice taxpayer funded pension, and said they were working out of boredom. Must be nice.

I'm not. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of people who aren't even sick being able to take time off and getting paid while denying others the ability to get paid while actually sick.

If what you're saying is that the working folks should get the same benefits as government employees, then why can't we all retire at the age of 55 like many government workers do?

You can.....or so that is what I am told. You simply have to negotiate it in your contract.

Or so I'm told.

The same thing holds true for people that work for companies. It should be negotiated between employee and employer, not mandated by the federal government.

You will pay one way or the other.

Its a bad idea for government pinheads to micro-manage businesses that they know nothing about

Civilian employees should not be eligible for retirement till they reach 67

Why should that not be between an employer and employee?

What you said doesn't exist.
Neither does the truth in this story of yours.

Thought the lies were required with you.

He isn't sick. Why isn't he at work?

Who said he isn't working? Do you think the only time they work is when they're in Washington?

He notes he isn't working.

I reread the article in your leftist OP. I didn't see anywhere when he stated that.

Yes you did.

Dupe thread. This was all covered and blown up in the other one.

He's not taking "paid sick leave" -- he's in a guaranteed salary position, not a wage-an-hour position.

He's not sick and taking time off of work, he's self-quarantining while still working. He's a Congressman, not an assembly line worker or physician's assistant. Most of his work consists of talking to people and preparing written legislative proposals, all of which can be done remotely by computer and phone. He's just not going to the Capitol building for face to face meetings/sessions.

This is such a ridiculous failed analogy.

He's not taking "paid sick leave" -- he's in a guaranteed salary position, not a wage-an-hour position.

He's not sick and taking time off of work, he's self-quarantining while still working. He's a Congressman, not an assembly line worker or physician's assistant. Most of his work consists of talking to people and preparing written legislative proposals, all of which can be done remotely by computer and phone. He's just not going to the Capitol building for face to face meetings/sessions.

The rest showed up for work. If he doesn't want to do his job he should resign.

I'm not sure if you're serious, or if this is tongue in cheek. He was in contact with someone who tested positive. He's self-quarantining per Dr. Fauci's recommendation. Lastly, are you seriously suggesting that Gaetz is the only member of Congress that is self-quarantining? I think you know that's not true, or at least you should. There are a bunch (both D's and R's) as of today, including your buddy Adam Schiff who is working from home.

I'm not sure if you're serious, or if this is tongue in cheek. He was in contact with someone who tested positive. He's self-quarantining per Dr. Fauci's recommendation. Lastly, are you seriously suggesting that Gaetz is the only member of Congress that is self-quarantining? I think you know that's not true, or at least you should. There are a bunch (both D's and R's) as of today, including your buddy Adam Schiff who is working from home.

He was tested. It came back negative. He said he was going to not go to work anyway.

Don't we all wish we could come in to work only when we want to?

He was tested. It came back negative. He said he was going to not go to work anyway.

Testing negative does not mean you don't have it if you are in the early stages of getting it. And again, just because he's home doesn't mean he's not working.

Testing negative does not mean you don't have it if you are in the early stages of getting it. And again, just because he's home doesn't mean he's not working.

He's not sick. You know it.

GOP LAWMAKER WHO VOTED AGAINST PAID SICK LEAVE IN FLORIDA TAKES PAID LEAVE FROM CONGRESS

Gaetz Voted Against Florida Paid Sick Leave. He’s Using It in Congress.

As the article notes, he isn't even sick but he is still going to take time off, all paid for by the taxpayers.

So here's the problem with this.

Everyone on the left, needs to grasp that every benefit they get from the company, has to come out of their own pay check.

Employers always base how much they pay, on how much it costs them to employ you. This is known as "total cost of employment".

Let us take a mythical example... Say a company decides they need to have someone work in the warehouse. They have a budget set aside, of roughly $30,000 for the position.

Does that mean they can pay someone $30,000 to work in their warehouse?

Well in a completely free-market situation, yes, but in the current situation no.

Because for example, the employer must pay ~7.6% in employer side taxes for that employee. That's over $2,300 roughly, on a $30,000.

So where does that money come from? Well it comes out of the $30,000 set aside for the position. The company does not have money that magically falls from the sky to pay taxes with. It has to come out of the money set aside for the position, and obviously you can't pay both the employee, and the government with the same dollar.

So that means to pay out several thousand in taxes, I have to pay several thousand less to the employee.

$30,000 will end up being $27,700, with the money the employee would have earned, going to the government instead.

The exact same thing is true of all benefits. All the money that goes for health insurance, comes from employees in lower wages.

And the same is true of paid sick-leave. If you want a week of getting paid to not be at work, that comes out of your own pay, in lower wages.

totalcostofemployment.jpeg

Now some people think that's worth it. And I respect that opinion.

But you need to grasp that the people who will be most affected by make this law, will be the people who are the poorest. The poorest people, will end up with lower wages, to pay for more sick pay.

Do you want the poorest people earning less money, but having some PTO if they are sick? Or would you rather they earn more, and a very few not having PTO?

Because that's the choice you have. There is no, just get free stuff, and "the rich" pay for it. That's not reality.

GOP LAWMAKER WHO VOTED AGAINST PAID SICK LEAVE IN FLORIDA TAKES PAID LEAVE FROM CONGRESS

As the article notes, he isn't even sick but he is still going to take time off, all paid for by the taxpayers.

Everyone on the left, needs to grasp that every benefit they get from the company, has to come out of their own pay check.

Employers always base how much they pay, on how much it costs them to employ you. This is known as "total cost of employment".

Let us take a mythical example... Say a company decides they need to have someone work in the warehouse. They have a budget set aside, of roughly $30,000 for the position.

Well in a completely free-market situation, yes, but in the current situation no.

Because for example, the employer must pay ~7.6% in employer side taxes for that employee. That's over $2,300 roughly, on a $30,000.

So where does that money come from? Well it comes out of the $30,000 set aside for the position. The company does not have money that magically falls from the sky to pay taxes with. It has to come out of the money set aside for the position, and obviously you can't pay both the employee, and the government with the same dollar.

So that means to pay out several thousand in taxes, I have to pay several thousand less to the employee.

$30,000 will end up being $27,700, with the money the employee would have earned, going to the government instead.

The exact same thing is true of all benefits. All the money that goes for health insurance, comes from employees in lower wages.

And the same is true of paid sick-leave. If you want a week of getting paid to not be at work, that comes out of your own pay, in lower wages.

View attachment 312841

But you need to grasp that the people who will be most affected by make this law, will be the people who are the poorest. The poorest people, will end up with lower wages, to pay for more sick pay.

Do you want the poorest people earning less money, but having some PTO if they are sick? Or would you rather they earn more, and a very few not having PTO?

Because that's the choice you have. There is no, just get free stuff, and "the rich" pay for it. That's not reality.

So I take a little less so that my co-worker doesn't lose his house when he gets sick.

I'm OK with that.

View attachment 312841

So I take a little less so that my co-worker doesn't lose his house when he gets sick.

I'm OK with that.

And that is a valid position to take.

Keep in mind, there is one other aspect you need to know about.

In the case of people that are bumping up against the minimum wage, then the company simply can't afford to pay more money for low-value work. The result is those people will end up losing hours. They'll be put on part time, or end up losing their jobs entirely.

You mention people losing their house, but the reality is most people that have a house, are in higher-value work, and likely already have PTO.

The people working the low-wage jobs that sometimes don't have PTO... are likely not buying a house anyway.

However, I think we also need to realize that if you accept this position, then you can never again complain that wages are not rising as fast as they did in the past.

You are diverting money away from wages, in exchange for benefits. That's it the position you have chosen, so yeah, wages are not going to rise as fast as in the past, and you can't complain about that anymore.

You are accepting that as policy.

I'm glad you have the medical degree to make that determination that I can't.

View attachment 312841

I'm OK with that.

And that is a valid position to take.

Keep in mind, there is one other aspect you need to know about.

In the case of people that are bumping up against the minimum wage, then the company simply can't afford to pay more money for low-value work. The result is those people will end up losing hours. They'll be put on part time, or end up losing their jobs entirely.

You mention people losing their house, but the reality is most people that have a house, are in higher-value work, and likely already have PTO.

The people working the low-wage jobs that sometimes don't have PTO... are likely not buying a house anyway.

However, I think we also need to realize that if you accept this position, then you can never again complain that wages are not rising as fast as they did in the past.

You are diverting money away from wages, in exchange for benefits. That's it the position you have chosen, so yeah, wages are not going to rise as fast as in the past, and you can't complain about that anymore.

You are accepting that as policy.

I will note, you only say that the employers must give up something, but never mention the shareholders giving up something.

So you will continue to pay more in taxes for welfare so shareholders can be happy.

If he was sick it would be all over the news.

If he was sick it would be all over the news.

I guess you don't understand the incubation period. If he was sick, contaminated a lot of other people in Congress and they had to totally shutdown, you would have criticized him for that as well.

So he's going to take an extra week for precautions. Big deal. It beats the entire Congress shutting down for several weeks. Sounds to me like he's doing the responsible thing not only for his fellow congress people, but the public in general.

Last edited:
He voted to stop cities from mandating their own paid sick leave demands on companies because we already have state and federal laws that do
Now that is some grade a, right wing nut retarded spin right there. The laws were stronger than the existing laws and contained new provisions. Good god we are a country half full of fools who will believe ANYTHING.

Forum List

Back