Pasta firm Barilla boycotted over 'classic family' remarks

Sir, not to rain on your thread parade, but I'm a liberal. It goes without saying that you ascribe no value to my opinion.

I never insisted that I did. But you being a liberal does not stop me from assailing your opinion. Does being a liberal somehow make you impervious to criticism?

You didn't insist, you just say it on a daily basis. Your extremely low opinion of Democrats has been posted all over this board.

I am many things. Democrat is just one aspect of me. However, I am being viewed as a Democrat, all else is immaterial.

My posts to or about you in the Coffee Shop debunk such a premise. The fact that I agree more than disagree with you is also proof of your fallacy. I treat you primarily with respect.

I have a low opinion of Democratic ideals, thus such opinion applies to anyone who freely touts those ideals without doing prior research. I know, because I was led to the same precipice as a young republican. It is why I espouse to be neither one. Of all the parties, I see them as the most devious of the two, though both are pretty devious in their own respects.

To assume that if I have a "low opinion of democrats" I must therefore have a low opinion of you as a person is overtly flawed.

Last edited:
That would not have been the definition I referenced.

I know what you referenced. But doors can come unhinged too, ya know? But at any rate. Do you have any further thoughts about the OP?

Was my original comment unsatisfactory or in any way lacking.

No. I agreed with it. There was nothing to add. But I was interested to see if you had anything else to add. Is there a problem?

I love Barilla pasta......

i could care less how they want to market it.....

Ick. We'll have to disagree there.

In terms of the readily available stuff, De Cecco is much better.

ill give you that.... de cecco is much better. But i cant resist the sales barilla has......... :lol:

and i certainly wont stop purchasing it becasue of some gay agenda boycot.

I never insisted that I did. But you being a liberal does not stop me from assailing your opinion. Does being a liberal somehow make you impervious to criticism?

You didn't insist, you just say it on a daily basis. Your extremely low opinion of Democrats has been posted all over this board.

I am many things. Democrat is just one aspect of me. However, I am being viewed as a Democrat, all else is immaterial.

My posts to or about you in the Coffee Shop debunk such a premise. The fact that I agree more than disagree with you is also proof of your fallacy. I treat you primarily with respect.

I have a low opinion of Democratic ideals, thus such opinion applies to anyone who freely touts those ideas without doing prior research. I know, because I was led to the same precipice as a young republican. It is why I espouse to be neither one. Of all the parties, I see them as the most devious of the two, though both are pretty devious in their own respects.

To assume that if I have a "low opinion of democrats" I must therefore have a low opinion of you as a person is overtly flawed.

Yeah, I am having trouble grasping that concept. Is that like "all men suck - goes without saying present company is excluded."

ill give you that.... de cecco is much better. But i cant resist the sales barilla has......... :lol:

I'm not one for political boycotts of consumer goods. Politics is my job and my hobby, but not my whole damn life.

But I was raised by a man who truly wishes he was Italian - and he instilled in me very high standards for pasta and espresso drinks.

I'm not one for political boycotts of consumer goods, ever really. Politics is my job and my hobby, but not my whole damn life.

But I was raised by a man who truly wishes he was Italian - and he instilled in me very high standards for pasta and espresso drinks.

good for your dad!! :clap:

for me ...pasta yes. Nothing beats fresh though! Have you been to flour +water? YUMMY!

espresso......:eusa_hand:..... nnnnnoooo. lol. i dont do well on stimulants.

1. Of course some is. Where are you getting this idea that "free speech" means speech that can't be criticized?

I get that idea from the behavior of liberals towards dissenting opinions. You know, that instance in Oregon? Or the the blatant assault by liberal neo-feminists on a Catholic preist in Europe? Perhaps maybe this is why:

Gay Republican Hospitalized After Liberal Beats Snot Out of Him | The Gateway Pundit

2. Your claim that this is something only liberals do?

Er, since when has the claim been mutually exclusive to liberals?

3. Supporting people's right to the "free speech" involved in organizing a boycott isn't the same as supporting the boycott itself.

It is an attempt to harm the livelihood of whatever the establishment happens to be. While there is nothing wrong with the "speech" there is something wrong with the act. I see both of them going hand in hand to serve a detrimental purpose.

4. It's asinine to claim that organizing political boycotts is somehow only a tendency of "liberals", and it's funny that you should talk about "fear of differing opinion" when your entire thread consists of accusing liberals of "violating your free speech" simply for having different opinions than you.

You make the arrogant presumption that I only apply this to liberals. Guess again.

Last edited:

I have a low opinion of Democratic ideals, thus such opinion applies to anyone who freely touts those ideas without doing prior research. I know, because I was led to the same precipice as a young republican. It is why I espouse to be neither one. Of all the parties, I see them as the most devious of the two, though both are pretty devious in their own respects.

Yeah, I am having trouble grasping that concept. Is that like "all men suck - goes without saying present company is excluded."

Okay, I'll make note not to pay a compliment to you again... Geez...

Admittedly, I don't buy Barilla... I buy store brand.

I'm not one for political boycotts of consumer goods, ever really. Politics is my job and my hobby, but not my whole damn life.

for me ...pasta yes. Nothing beats fresh though! Have you been to flour +water? YUMMY!

I have not yet been there, but my girlfriend has been bugging me to take her, so I'm sure I will soon. I've heard good things.

I think the most valuable item currently in my apartment is the $8,000 espresso machine I got as a hand-me-down from my dad.

I have not yet been there, but my girlfriend has been bugging me to take her, so I'm sure I will soon. I've heard good things.

I think the most valuable item currently in my apartment is the $8,000 espresso machine I got as a hand-me-down from my dad.

Ernie, Sophia and his newly minted espresso machine may be happy to hear that... or you can let Fox know that you intend to double the production capabilities of the coffee shop.

let her bug you some more!!! Parking sucks..... and i mean...SUCKS!!!! But... its a really great place and the food..... mmmmm...i think you will be happy. :eusa_angel:

omg... PICS of the machine!!!! That is just so cool..... i think i like you dad.

Ernie, Sophia and his newly minted espresso machine may be happy to hear that... or you can let Fox know that you intend to double the production capabilities of the coffee shop.

now don't be disrespecting good equipment..... and good espresso machines start at that price.

1. Of course some is. Where are you getting this idea that "free speech" means speech that can't be criticized?

I get that idea from the behavior of liberals towards dissenting opinions. You know, that instance in Oregon? Or the the blatant assault by liberal neo-feminists on a Catholic preist in Europe? Perhaps maybe this is why:

Gay Republican Hospitalized After Liberal Beats Snot Out of Him | The Gateway Pundit

2. Your claim that this is something only liberals do?

Er, since when has the claim been mutually exclusive to liberals?

3. Supporting people's right to the "free speech" involved in organizing a boycott isn't the same as supporting the boycott itself.

It is an attempt to harm the livelihood of whatever the establishment happens to be. While there is nothing wrong with the "speech" there is something wrong with the act. I see both of them going hand in hand to serve a detrimental purpose.

4. It's asinine to claim that organizing political boycotts is somehow only a tendency of "liberals", and it's funny that you should talk about "fear of differing opinion" when your entire thread consists of accusing liberals of "violating your free speech" simply for having different opinions than you.

You make the arrogant presumption that I only apply this to liberals. Guess again.

How is that an "arrogant presumption" if it is something you say everywhere, all the time?

[MENTION=20452]theDoctorisIn[/MENTION]:

I will apologize to you for my words and actions towards you in this thread. It was wrong of me to make an assumption about you. I ask for your forgiveness if you can indeed give it, sir. There is no fault of anyone elses but my own.

Really? I've never tried it that way before. In fact, I've never salted the water. I might try this with your Chopped Liver recipe.

:eek::eek::eek:

you dont salt your pasta water???? :wtf:

you must salt the water.....even with very good pasta you must salt the water.

How come?

it brings up the flavor of the pasta.... its a main seasoning component. After the pasta is boiled you cant season it after that...it is the way it is. Sure you can put sauce and salt on top of the pasta... but the pasta itself will be bland. Not a lot...a few teaspoons per pot.... but its a very impotent step in boiling pasta.

Forum List

Back