Pasta firm Barilla boycotted over 'classic family' remarks

tolerance

a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry

"I would not do a commercial with a homosexual family, not for lack of respect toward homosexuals -- who have the right to do whatever they want without disturbing others -- but because I don't agree with them and I think we want to talk to traditional families," he continued.

"To be clear, I just want to specify that I do have great respect for every person, without any kind of distinction. I do respect gay people and everybody's freedom of expression. I also said I do respect gay marriage," he wrote.

Barilla Chairman Stands By Anti-Gay Ad Policy, Citing Family Values

Why are some boo-hissing this?

Because he and the company does not view homosexual marriages or couples as a "family". He says he supports gay marriage but to represent a gay couple as a family in their advertising would be offensive to him, his own family and their company.

What do you think would happen if he said he refuses to have a black family in his advertising because that doesn't represent "traditional Italian families"?

BTW - People are saying Barilla's new product is "Bigatoni"...heheh.

tolerance

a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry

"I would not do a commercial with a homosexual family, not for lack of respect toward homosexuals -- who have the right to do whatever they want without disturbing others -- but because I don't agree with them and I think we want to talk to traditional families," he continued.

"To be clear, I just want to specify that I do have great respect for every person, without any kind of distinction. I do respect gay people and everybody's freedom of expression. I also said I do respect gay marriage," he wrote.

Barilla Chairman Stands By Anti-Gay Ad Policy, Citing Family Values

Why are some boo-hissing this?

Because he and the company does not view homosexual marriages or couples as a "family". He says he supports gay marriage but to represent a gay couple as a family in their advertising would be offensive to him, his own family and their company.

What do you think would happen if he said he refuses to have a black family in his advertising because that doesn't represent "traditional Italian families"?

BTW - People are saying Barilla's new product is "Bigatoni"...heheh.

Still havent acknowledged that Barilla is privately owned, and all your ranting about shareholders needing to leave is basically moot, and thus idiotic.

And here we go again with trying to equate race and sexuality.

The Homo Nazis are at it again. They now want to take away your freedom of speech. Any thing you say about homos better be pro fag or they will come and batter down your door. I always wondered why homos like to wear nazi outfits and leather. Now I know.

rob-halford.jpg

People have a right to their opinions but they don't have a right to be free of consequences of those opinions. Barillo execs can say what they want and customers can choose not to buy their products.

Strangely, that's what many homo haters seem to be saying. That they have a right to their opinions but no one has right to have an opinion about them.

People have a right to their opinions but they don't have a right to be free of consequences of those opinions. Barillo execs an say what they want and customers can choose not to buy their products.

Strangely, that's what many homo haters seem to be saying. That they have a right to their opinions but no one has right to have an opinion about them.

Barillia is doing nothing to harm these people, however some people get so butthurt (lol) about other people disagreeing with thier lifestyle that they feel the need to ruin the other people's livelyhood and possibly the livelyhoods of thousands of others.

No government coerscion is being called for, I admit to that. But calling for the end of the company is unmitigated pussiness.

People have a right to their opinions but they don't have a right to be free of consequences of those opinions. Barillo execs an say what they want and customers can choose not to buy their products.

Barillia is doing nothing to harm these people, however some people get so butthurt (lol) about other people disagreeing with thier lifestyle that they feel the need to ruin the other people's livelyhood and possibly the livelyhoods of thousands of others.

No government coerscion is being called for, I admit to that. But calling for the end of the company is unmitigated pussiness.

Saying a homosexual couple, maybe with adopted children, are not a "real family" is not insulting and harmful?

He didn't say he disagreed with their lifestyle, in fact he said he supported HS marriage. What he said was a HS family would never appear in any of his advertising because to them THEY AREN'T A REAL FAMILY.

And now he will get his butt kicked. I've already seen several reports on this on TV and in the news media. But the wildfire is already spreading in Europe and if the US HS crowd gets involved it's going to seriously impact their sales.

As I said before this is different from CFA. If people who support his decision decide to buy more Barilla products what difference does it make if they can't find them on the shelves of all the major supermarket chains, Costco, Walmart or Sams Club?

Saying a homosexual couple, maybe with adopted children, are not a "real family" is not insulting and harmful?

He didn't say he disagreed with their lifestyle, in fact he said he supported HS marriage. What he said was a HS family would never appear in any of his advertising because to them THEY AREN'T A REAL FAMILY.

And now he will get his butt kicked. I've already seen several reports on this on TV and in the news media. But the wildfire is already spreading in Europe and if the US HS crowd gets involved it's going to seriously impact their sales.

As I said before this is different from CFA. If people who support his decision decide to buy more Barilla products what difference does it make if they can't find them on the shelves of all the major supermarket chains, Costco, Walmart or Sams Club?

if that is enough to be hurtful to someone, they need to grow a pair. This will peter (lol) out long before any damage happens to the company.

People need to stop being such a bunch of fucking pansies. This goes for anyone regarless of sex or sexual orientation. We are turning into a nation of mewling children.

People have a right to their opinions but they don't have a right to be free of consequences of those opinions. Barillo execs can say what they want and customers can choose not to buy their products.

:lmao:

really?

did they disagree with the gay lifestyle??

or did they say how they wanted to portray THEIR product?

He said they would never portray their product alongside homosexual families because they aren't real families.

Only real families eat Barilla pasta...

The guy basically said "If you don't like our position, don't buy Barilla"...so people are taking him up on that. Why are some people so upset that others are doing exactly what asked?

Last edited:

He said they would never portray their product alongside homosexual families because they aren't real families.

Only real families eat Barilla pasta...

The guy basically said "If you don't like our position, don't buy Barilla"...so people are taking him up on that. Why are some people so upset that others are doing exactly what asked?

I don't care what he said, or that some outraged people will boycot it.

what i find funny is the outrage about what he had to say about the marketing of his product.

Uh, no that's not what he said. He said they weren't a traditional family. He's right. It's Barilla's product to sell and they want to go with a traditional family to sell it. So what? How is that hurting anyone? Cottonelle uses cartoon bears and not humans to sell its product. Should I be outraged?

If stores here stop selling Barilla pasta they will get flooded with complaints from unhappy customers at which point they will start carrying Barilla pasta again.

Forum List

Back