Phillys Plan: Close Schools and Build Prisons

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
Likely chain of events - Less Schools + More Prisons = Mo Money, Mo Money

Philadelphia adopting 'doomsday' school-slashing plan despite $400 million prison project ? RT USA

Days after Philadelphia officials pushed the city one step closer to a so-called “doomsday” education plan that would see two dozen schools close, construction began on a $400-million prison said to be the second-most expensive state project ever.

Pennsylvania’s School Reform Commission voted on June 1 to approve a $2.4 billion budget, ignoring hours of pleas from students, parents, educators and community members who warned the budget would cripple city schools.

The plan would close 23 public schools, roughly 10 per cent of the city’s total. Commissioners rejected a proposal that would have only closed four of the 27 schools that were on the block for closure.

Without the means to cover a $304 million debt, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported, students can expect to go back to school in September without new books, paper, counselors, clubs, librarians, assistant principals or secretaries. All athletics, art and music programs would be eliminated and as many as 3,000 people could lose their jobs.

Only one of five state commissioners voted against the proposal, warning that Republican Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett’s administration had not looked hard enough elsewhere for proper funds.

That $304 million windfall is unlikely to be filled because the Republican-controlled Pennsylvania House of Representatives recently passed a tax break for corporations that will cost Pennsylvania residents an estimated $600 million to $800 million annually.

This is great success! Instead of being #1 in Imprisoned Population now we can solidify the lead for years to come. Kill the schools, build more prisons...Fill those Prisons! Oh yeah, it's like Chess. They are thinking 4-5 steps ahead

"RT provides an alternative perspective on major global events, and acquaints international audience with the Russian viewpoint. "

Philadelphia adopting 'doomsday' school-slashing plan despite $400 million prison project ? RT USA

Days after Philadelphia officials pushed the city one step closer to a so-called “doomsday” education plan that would see two dozen schools close, construction began on a $400-million prison said to be the second-most expensive state project ever.

Pennsylvania’s School Reform Commission voted on June 1 to approve a $2.4 billion budget, ignoring hours of pleas from students, parents, educators and community members who warned the budget would cripple city schools.

The plan would close 23 public schools, roughly 10 per cent of the city’s total. Commissioners rejected a proposal that would have only closed four of the 27 schools that were on the block for closure.

Without the means to cover a $304 million debt, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported, students can expect to go back to school in September without new books, paper, counselors, clubs, librarians, assistant principals or secretaries. All athletics, art and music programs would be eliminated and as many as 3,000 people could lose their jobs.

Only one of five state commissioners voted against the proposal, warning that Republican Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett’s administration had not looked hard enough elsewhere for proper funds.

That $304 million windfall is unlikely to be filled because the Republican-controlled Pennsylvania House of Representatives recently passed a tax break for corporations that will cost Pennsylvania residents an estimated $600 million to $800 million annually.

This is great success! Instead of being #1 in Imprisoned Population now we can solidify the lead for years to come. Kill the schools, build more prisons...Fill those Prisons! Oh yeah, it's like Chess. They are thinking 4-5 steps ahead

Maybe the schools need to be closed because Philadeliphia's poplulation is decreasing, and its demographics are shifting?

The only reason to keep schools open when there are less students is to keep teachers employed, and unions happy.

Any city popularly known as Killadelphia has to do something. Turn the schools into prisons.

Crime rate must be outrageous in philly.

Ya THINK?

Kill-adelphia: Yet again, city tops list of homicide rates - Philly.com

Kill-adelphia: Yet again, city tops list of homicide rates

ON THE DOOR into the Uceta Mini Market in North Philadelphia, a sign warns shoppers, "No Weapons Allowed."

Inside, the message on a sign sandwiched between cigarette ads is even more blunt: "Stop. Shooting. People."

The market sits at Stillman and Somerset streets, just steps from the scenes of two recent gun slayings that remain unsolved. But in the store, where you can buy everything from milk to motor oil, the signs are an ignored, endured part of everyday existence - just like the homicides themselves.

This is among the city's most dangerous neighborhoods, where violence is as ingrained as the futility many feel that it will ever abate.

"I know a lot of people who got killed, maybe 10, I don't know how many," Marcus Henry, 29, said yesterday as he got his morning coffee.

Murders are up again this year in Philadelphia, and the city still has the highest homicide rate of the nation's 10 most populous cities, according to stats provided by each city's police department. At the same time, fewer murders are getting solved.

Why are govt schools in philly producing so much crime? Isn't govt education great?

Why are govt schools in philly producing so much crime? Isn't govt education great?

Isnt hyperbole great?

“In Philadelphia, black students comprise 81 per cent of those who will be impacted by the closings despite accounting for just 58 per cent of the overall student population,” she wrote. “In stark contrast, just 4 per cent of those affected are white kids who make up 14 per cent of Philly students. And though they make up 81 per cent of Philadelphia students, 93 per cent of kids affected by the closings are low-income.”

Close the low income schools while building a new place to put them. Great!

“In Philadelphia, black students comprise 81 per cent of those who will be impacted by the closings despite accounting for just 58 per cent of the overall student population,” she wrote. “In stark contrast, just 4 per cent of those affected are white kids who make up 14 per cent of Philly students. And though they make up 81 per cent of Philadelphia students, 93 per cent of kids affected by the closings are low-income.”

Could it be that the population loss is in greatest in the lower income areas?

Maybe, but it's also possible that they just don't care about the lower income areas. Which seems to be the case nationwide so putting those two together, I think my possibility is more...possible

Maybe, but it's also possible that they just don't care about the lower income areas. Which seems to be the case nationwide so putting those two together, I think my possibility is more...possible

Well since your view fits your agenda, color me shocked...

The whole NE except for NYC is experiencing this, schools and districts based on a certain # of children per 1000's of population are seeing that number shrink. So they either have 1/2 full schools with 100% full costs for labor, or they consolidate and get flak mostly from the teachers unions, who of course rile up the local populations.

What do you expect for 50+ years of Solely Democrat rule?

Do you really think the Democrats dont care about lower income areas?

Im not disagreeing. I just dont believe you actually believe that.

Did you really not see this or what?

Well since your view fits your agenda, color me shocked...

The whole NE except for NYC is experiencing this, schools and districts based on a certain # of children per 1000's of population are seeing that number shrink. So they either have 1/2 full schools with 100% full costs for labor, or they consolidate and get flak mostly from the teachers unions, who of course rile up the local populations.

You're right there can only be one possibility except that isn't the definition of possibility

So the residents will be writing checks to some corporations?

So the residents will be writing checks to some corporations?

All of us are too old to play pretend

Forum List

Back