Phillys Plan: Close Schools and Build Prisons

Maybe, but it's also possible that they just don't care about the lower income areas. Which seems to be the case nationwide so putting those two together, I think my possibility is more...possible

Do you really think the Democrats dont care about lower income areas?

Im not disagreeing. I just dont believe you actually believe that.

Did you really not see this or what?

That $304 million windfall is unlikely to be filled because the Republican-controlled Pennsylvania House of Representatives recently passed a tax break for corporations that will cost Pennsylvania residents an estimated $600 million to $800 million annually.

Nope I saw it. I just didnt think you were in such total denial of reality that you would blame the problems of a city run solely by Democrats for decades on Republicans. I gave you more credit than that.

I guess I was wrong.

It's the old "if we can put a man on the moon" argument. It's apples and oranges. They aren't transferring the money they had been spending on schools to prison construction. The issues are separate.

Do you really think the Democrats dont care about lower income areas?

Im not disagreeing. I just dont believe you actually believe that.

Did you really not see this or what?

That $304 million windfall is unlikely to be filled because the Republican-controlled Pennsylvania House of Representatives recently passed a tax break for corporations that will cost Pennsylvania residents an estimated $600 million to $800 million annually.

Nope I saw it. I just didnt think you were in such total denial of reality that you would blame the problems of a city run solely by Democrats for decades on Republicans. I gave you more credit than that.

I guess I was wrong.

So let me understand. I shouldn't point this out because Dems were in control before the school closings and tax breaks?

And I would be "fair" in blaming the Dems for what is happening under Republican House?

So the residents will be writing checks to some corporations?

All of us are too old to play pretend

Its a legitamate question. How does it cost the residents? It may cost the GOVERNMENT missed revenue, but not the residents.

Its a legitimate question, so go an educate yourself on how that happens. You'll get better information from experts than from anon posters on the internet. Then you can argue with the experts and not me

Likely chain of events - Less Schools + More Prisons = Mo Money, Mo Money

Philadelphia adopting 'doomsday' school-slashing plan despite $400 million prison project ? RT USA

This is great success! Instead of being #1 in Imprisoned Population now we can solidify the lead for years to come. Kill the schools, build more prisons...Fill those Prisons! Oh yeah, it's like Chess. They are thinking 4-5 steps ahead

Why are govt schools in philly producing so much crime? Isn't govt education great?

Isnt hyperbole great?

You're still dancing around the maypole, quite confused, at the falsely contrived dilemma of blaming this on Rs while your party has been in power in that city for decades. Philly is reaping what it has sewn. I have no sympathy.

Why are govt schools in philly producing so much crime? Isn't govt education great?

Isnt hyperbole great?

You're still dancing around the maypole, quite confused, at the falsely contrived dilemma of blaming this on Rs while your party has been in power in that city for decades. Philly is reaping what it has sewn. I have no sympathy.

As if someone was asking you for sympathy.

All of us are too old to play pretend

Its a legitamate question. How does it cost the residents? It may cost the GOVERNMENT missed revenue, but not the residents.

Its a legitimate question, so go an educate yourself on how that happens. You'll get better information from experts than from anon posters on the internet. Then you can argue with the experts and not me

So basically you just can't admit the statement isnt correct, and this is the best and only way you can admit you were wrong?

Just thinking out loud here, but you ever thought they may be closing schools in higher crime areas and taking those kids to safer areas for their school day? Just a thought.

Close the low income schools while building a new place to put them. Great!

Could it be that the population loss is in greatest in the lower income areas?

Maybe, but it's also possible that they just don't care about the lower income areas. Which seems to be the case nationwide so putting those two together, I think my possibility is more...possible

Yet still complete conjecture. You may be fine with directing your ire based on nothing more than utter conjecture but the rest of us actually care about the real facts surrounding the issues.

Why those schools were closed is more important than what they are spending on the prison. What happens to those students in the affected areas is also more important. What the conditions will be like is another thing that is more important. There is a lot of information that is missing that is far more important than a project that has nothing to do with the schools at all.

Then, with the mention of the prison, there is a whole set of questions regarding that not the least of which is whether or not the prison is necessary. If the conditions in the prisons are very poor and overcrowded are you suggesting that they leave the criminals in an inhumane environment?

Last edited:
Just thinking out loud here, but you ever thought they may be closing schools in higher crime areas and taking those kids to safer areas for their school day? Just a thought.

When kids from unsafe schools are sent to safer schools the safe schools become as unsafe as the ones they left.

So basically you just can't admit the statement isnt correct, and this is the best and only way you can admit you were wrong?

I'll admit to it if you can prove its wrong. Simple right?

Hey... when the school system is broke, it's broke...

It's what happens when you have a low Property-Taxpayer-to-School-Consumer ratio, for decades on-end...

Something's gotta give...

The State Capital can't keep proppin' 'em up forever...

And the local School District's got nothing to do with the State's correctional system, or its funding...

Each department and branch of government self-sufficient and responsible and accountable for its own operations and budget...

The School District is doing the responsible thing, insofar as I can tell...

Next stop for the same kind of painful return to sanity... the City of Chicago...

Last edited:
Hey... when the school system is broke, it's broke...

It's what happens when you have a low Property-Taxpayer-to-School-Consumer ratio, for decades on-end...

Something's gotta give...

The State Capital can't keep proppin' 'em up forever...

And the local School District's got nothing to do with the State's correctional system, or its funding...

Each department and branch of government self-sufficient and responsible and accountable for its own operations and budget...

The School District is doing the responsible thing, insofar as I can tell...

Next stop for the same kind of painful return to sanity... the City of Chicago...

The only problem with that is...reality. They are cutting taxes while closing schools.

Forum List

Back