Pit bulls are safe around children!

I think you should approach this issue with a calm mind.

The argument in this thread is that all pit bulls are dangerous and in need of regulation.

The hyped up lies and misinformation notwithstanding, there are many sweet, loving, gentle, good-natured pit bulls out there. What is nonsense is people completely ignoring that it's bad people who make dogs aggressive, strong, and violent.

You are talking out of your ass.

I have had dogs all my life. I did nothing to "make that dog aggressive, strong, and violent"

You truly are an IDIOT

I can understand your own personal experience with that pit bull, Bfgrn, and I'm going to respect you by not downplaying or denying the scary experience that you had. You did nothing to make the dog aggressive, strong, or violent, and I believe you. What should be explored is when the dog in question was bought. There is a chance that it was abused before you bought it; I can't say, and whatever you assert I'll assume as truth.

But even past that, if the dog did snap and wasn't mistreated, that was from that dog alone. I too have owned a few dogs, from cocker spaniels to pit bulls, from pink-bellied puppies, and none have snapped at me, ever. Bfgrn, I feel there are good pit bulls out there that aren't inclined to snap or react unpredictably. I can't explain or understand why your dog did what it did without more information.

You're not a person that abuses dogs, or hurts them to make them vicious guards. I do ask that you consider not demonizing every dog in the breed based on the actions of some. You've had a negative experience with a pit, and I have had multiple positive experiences with pits. That in no way downplays your experience, or makes your opinion less valid. I just think it's not fair to want to ban me from owning pit bulls, or call my dogs bad, based on the actions of other dogs. There is good, and there is bad. There are also many variables unsaid.

My experience with the breed has been good overall. Yours hasn't. I think we can both learn a lot and understand the world a little better if we continued talking about this.

I had all positive experiences with my pit bull until Buddy tried to kill me. What did I do to provoke him? I picked up his walking leash from the floor in the dining room. My wife had dusted the furniture and forgot to put it back on top of the cabinet. Picking up his leash should have created a positive response from Buddy. He loved to go for a walk.

I am just thankful that it was me and not my wife, daughter or son who decided to pick up Buddy's leash. My right leg looks like I stepped on a land mine. I am an old fart but my daughter is a beautiful young girl who wears dresses and shorts in the summer.

We got Buddy as a young puppy and raised him with the same love we have for all our dogs past and present. Ironically Buddy was the most affectionate dog I ever had. He loved to snuggle and would try to crawl up on my stomach when I would lay on the couch.

You object to generalizations about pit bulls, and replace it with generalizations about owners. People understand the reason for the aggression of pit bulls raised by the Michael Vicks of the world. But that doesn't explain the sudden aggression of properly raised pit bulls, or the much higher incidents of fatal and maiming attacks by pit bulls.

I highly DOUBT Darla Napora was a 'Michael Vicks' type pit bull owner...

Darla Napor would probably argue right with you and be advocating for this extremely dangerous breed. Herein lies the problem. She is DEAD.

Darla Napora: Pregnant woman dies after being mauled by pet dog in living room | Mail Online

article-0-0D78D8B500000578-230_468x286.jpg

• Victim was member of 'Dog Lovers Responsible About Pit Bulls'

• Two-year-old pitbull terrier shot after charging at police

• Husband finds Darla Napora's body drenched in blood

• Victim suffered dozens of bites to her body and face

A pregnant woman who was mauled to death by one of her pet pit bull terriers belonged to group campaigning to convince people that the animals aren't dangerous, it has emerged.

Darla Napora, 32, was bitten dozens of times and found by her husband Greg covered in blood outstretched on their living room floor in Pacifica, California.

Police say the two-year-old unneutered pit bull believed to be responsible was hovering around the woman, who had major injuries to her upper body and face.

The Napora's next door neighbor surprisingly said the dogs had always been well behaved.

'We shared a fence with them and if our dogs were barking at each other she'd call them off and they'd back off. They responded very well.'

For Greg Napora the tragic attack came out of the blue as they had had the dog since it was a puppy.

Police said there were no prior problems at the household and no reason to expect the dog attack.

Read this, it is written by doctors who treat these horrible attacks.

Mortality, Mauling, and Maiming by Vicious Dogs

I have had dogs all my life. I did nothing to "make that dog aggressive, strong, and violent"

You truly are an IDIOT

I can understand your own personal experience with that pit bull, Bfgrn, and I'm going to respect you by not downplaying or denying the scary experience that you had. You did nothing to make the dog aggressive, strong, or violent, and I believe you. What should be explored is when the dog in question was bought. There is a chance that it was abused before you bought it; I can't say, and whatever you assert I'll assume as truth.

But even past that, if the dog did snap and wasn't mistreated, that was from that dog alone. I too have owned a few dogs, from cocker spaniels to pit bulls, from pink-bellied puppies, and none have snapped at me, ever. Bfgrn, I feel there are good pit bulls out there that aren't inclined to snap or react unpredictably. I can't explain or understand why your dog did what it did without more information.

You're not a person that abuses dogs, or hurts them to make them vicious guards. I do ask that you consider not demonizing every dog in the breed based on the actions of some. You've had a negative experience with a pit, and I have had multiple positive experiences with pits. That in no way downplays your experience, or makes your opinion less valid. I just think it's not fair to want to ban me from owning pit bulls, or call my dogs bad, based on the actions of other dogs. There is good, and there is bad. There are also many variables unsaid.

My experience with the breed has been good overall. Yours hasn't. I think we can both learn a lot and understand the world a little better if we continued talking about this.

I had all positive experiences with my pit bull until Buddy tried to kill me. What did I do to provoke him? I picked up his walking leash from the floor in the dining room. My wife had dusted the furniture and forgot to put it back on top of the cabinet. Picking up his leash should have created a positive response from Buddy. He loved to go for a walk.

I am just thankful that it was me and not my wife, daughter or son who decided to pick up Buddy's leash. My right leg looks like I stepped on a land mine. I am an old fart but my daughter is a beautiful young girl who wears dresses and shorts in the summer.

We got Buddy as a young puppy and raised him with the same love we have for all our dogs past and present. Ironically Buddy was the most affectionate dog I ever had. He loved to snuggle and would try to crawl up on my stomach when I would lay on the couch.

You object to generalizations about pit bulls, and replace it with generalizations about owners. People understand the reason for the aggression of pit bulls raised by the Michael Vicks of the world. But that doesn't explain the sudden aggression of properly raised pit bulls, or the much higher incidents of fatal and maiming attacks by pit bulls.

Darla Napor would probably argue right with you and be advocating for this extremely dangerous breed. Herein lies the problem. She is DEAD.

Darla Napora: Pregnant woman dies after being mauled by pet dog in living room | Mail Online

A pregnant woman who was mauled to death by one of her pet pit bull terriers belonged to group campaigning to convince people that the animals aren't dangerous, it has emerged.

Darla Napora, 32, was bitten dozens of times and found by her husband Greg covered in blood outstretched on their living room floor in Pacifica, California.

Police say the two-year-old unneutered pit bull believed to be responsible was hovering around the woman, who had major injuries to her upper body and face.

The Napora's next door neighbor surprisingly said the dogs had always been well behaved.

'We shared a fence with them and if our dogs were barking at each other she'd call them off and they'd back off. They responded very well.'

For Greg Napora the tragic attack came out of the blue as they had had the dog since it was a puppy.

Police said there were no prior problems at the household and no reason to expect the dog attack.

Ugh, how horrible. :(

You truly are an IDIOT

Thanks for sharing your unfortunate experience with your pet pit bull, and the terrible thing that happened to that beautiful girl, Darla. Unfortunately, many people are of the opinion that something like that could never happen to them, and I hope it never does, but until it does, they will continue to feel invincible and argue that it has to do with the way the dogs are raised. My only hope is that their dogs don't end up hurting innocent people.....just because they believed that their dog would never hurt anyone.

btw, no disrespect meant to the guy above but how did a pitbull maul an adult man? Was he asleep?

If you are going to survive an attack by an adult pitbull, you better be prepared from the beginning. Otherwise you will lose.

btw, no disrespect meant to the guy above but how did a pitbull maul an adult man? Was he asleep?

If you are going to survive an attack by an adult pitbull, you better be prepared from the beginning. Otherwise you will lose.
I don't agree. I'm not going to test it out to prove you wrong but a dog only has one weapon. If I was attacked unarmed I'd poke both his eyes out if he had a hold of me and wring his neck.

I don't agree. I'm not going to test it out to prove you wrong but a dog only has one weapon. If I was attacked unarmed I'd poke both his eyes out if he had a hold of me and wring his neck.

Yeah. Right.

You don't have a frikken clue.

You truly are an IDIOT

Thanks for sharing your unfortunate experience with your pet pit bull, and the terrible thing that happened to that beautiful girl, Darla. Unfortunately, many people are of the opinion that something like that could never happen to them, and I hope it never does, but until it does, they will continue to feel invincible and argue that it has to do with the way the dogs are raised. My only hope is that their dogs don't end up hurting innocent people.....just because they believed that their dog would never hurt anyone.

Not just pit bulls but I think people's attitudes about their dogs is very like how some see guns.

Every time there's a news story about either, the reactions are the same. "I don't know, he was always fine before", "I taught my kids how to be safe", "my dog would never do that", "my dog/gun is safe".

Complete denial and then they go on as before.

We have a pitbull & a beagle mix. The beagle is more aggressive than our pit. The pit can be aggressive towards other animals but not in the least towards humans.

Wringing the neck of a pit bull would be almost impossible for one person, unless you got on his back. And usually, an arm is what is grabbed first. So one arm is useless, since the pit will have crushed those bones.

Going for the eyes requires getting by the one weapon. One of the things we were taught in a class some years ago is that dogs hate having their feet hurt. But this was a pet that lost it. So the dog gets at least one shot before you know you are being attacked for real.

I hope you would not actually fight a pit bull by wringing its neck. You would surely lose. The neck of a pit bull is ringed by a thick muscle.

You truly are an IDIOT

Not just pit bulls but I think people's attitudes about their dogs is very like how some see guns.

Every time there's a news story about either, the reactions are the same. "I don't know, he was always fine before", "I taught my kids how to be safe", "my dog would never do that", "my dog/gun is safe".

Complete denial and then they go on as before.
If you put a gun on the floor in the middle of your living room it will stay there forever. The gun is absolutely safe. It is as safe as a can opener. A pit bull is a living thing. It is not a can opener.

Pit bulls need to be neutered and spayed to begin to be household pets. They will still be unpredictable. An American Staffordshire Terrier is not an innately vicious breed. Breeders might well have inbred the dogs too much resulting in unpredictable behavior.

I think the breed originated as war dogs, bred to attack and kill humans. Certainly the Germans developed a couple of those breeds as did many other cultures. My friend had a doberman who are unpredictable in the same way. The family praised the creature, a female who basically was easy going if weird. Then one day for no apparent reason the dog up and viciously attacked my friend. They had to give it away or put it down. If forget. It was a long time ago.

Utterly false.

The breed originated as pets. The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is the dog from "Our Gang," associated with children from the start.

BullTerrierZola.jpg

American Pit Bulls were bred from the Staffies and commonly used as fighting dogs. The "Pit" in the name refers to the ring used for dog fights. The breed is only about a hundred years old, to say they were bred for war is absurd. They were bred to kill rats in England (Staffies) and were house pets because of their ability to keep the rodents out. This is what associated them with Children.

Pits are no more aggressive than any other dog. Sadly, thug culture has often made them accessories to show how tough someone is.

It is indeed how they are raised, and how badly they are inbred.

How many times are we going to see these stories of people being mauled by pit bulls? You always hear the same thing from pit bull enthusiasts, "it depends on how they are raised. My pit bull is as gentle as can be!". Its funny how the owners of the pit bulls that attack people always say "I cant believe it, my pit bulls played with my children." Well guess what, this kid was around these pit bulls before without incident, then suddenly one day these "peaceful" dogs killed a child and mauled his pregnant mother.

These dogs are ticking time bombs, therefore they aren't fit for domestication. They should be outlawed!

Police identify boy, 4, killed in dog attack

I think the breed originated as war dogs, bred to attack and kill humans. Certainly the Germans developed a couple of those breeds as did many other cultures. My friend had a doberman who are unpredictable in the same way. The family praised the creature, a female who basically was easy going if weird. Then one day for no apparent reason the dog up and viciously attacked my friend. They had to give it away or put it down. If forget. It was a long time ago.
No they didnt originate as war dogs. They were used as bull baiting dogs and later as fighting dogs. The breed was developed to the point that a total stranger could handle the fighting dog without fear of being bitten. Helen Keller had one as a pet.

Forum List

Back