Police State: City Shuts Down Hot Dog Stand Boy Opened To Help Disabled Parents...

Such a big heart ole Big Brother has, huh?

This summer, 13-year-old Nathan Duszynski wanted to make some money to help out his disabled parents—his mom has epilepsy and his dad has multiple sclerosis. So he decided to open a hot dog stand. He saved $1,200, mostly money made by mowing lawns and shoveling snow. He checked with the city to make sure he didn't need any licenses or permits, even going to city hall in person with his mom. And then he bought a cart. (Yep, that's hot dogs from Nathan's, for those who are keeping score at home.)

He arrived to set up shop on his first day and 10 minutes later, a zoning official arrived to shut him down. The problem: The cart, which is in the parking lot of a sporting goods store, is on the edge of official downtown commercial district of Holland, Michigan. The city bans food carts in that area in order to minimize competition for the eight tax-paying restaurants a couple of blocks away.

As it happens, I've been to Holland. It's a lovely town, but not exactly a booming metropolis. And frankly (ha!), after an evening of Blue Motorcycles Butch's Dry Dock, a hot dog would really have hit the spot. The city says it is willing to work with Nathan, but keeping food carts out of the small, walkable downtown area is pretty much the same thing as banning food carts altogether. Nathan and his family obviously know that: The hot dog cart is now for sale.

The Mackinac Center has made a nice little video about the ridiculous story:

City Shuts Down Teen's Hot Dog Vendor Cart! - YouTube

He should sue the city for the cost of his time and his hot dog stand and lost revenue. He checked with them first and they gave him the wrong answer.

He will need a Guardian to sue, and as a 13 year old cannot enter a valid contract, whoever spent his money should be the subject of an investigation. Perhaps the city is liable for some amount IF an AUTHORIZED adult was given incorrect advice (in writing) and invested the child's funds in reliance thereon. Other than that, he may require a Guardian period, a 13 year old child should not be in a position to "spend" that kind of money.

This summer, 13-year-old Nathan Duszynski wanted to make some money to help out his disabled parents—his mom has epilepsy and his dad has multiple sclerosis. So he decided to open a hot dog stand. He saved $1,200, mostly money made by mowing lawns and shoveling snow. He checked with the city to make sure he didn't need any licenses or permits, even going to city hall in person with his mom. And then he bought a cart. (Yep, that's hot dogs from Nathan's, for those who are keeping score at home.)

He arrived to set up shop on his first day and 10 minutes later, a zoning official arrived to shut him down. The problem: The cart, which is in the parking lot of a sporting goods store, is on the edge of official downtown commercial district of Holland, Michigan. The city bans food carts in that area in order to minimize competition for the eight tax-paying restaurants a couple of blocks away.

As it happens, I've been to Holland. It's a lovely town, but not exactly a booming metropolis. And frankly (ha!), after an evening of Blue Motorcycles Butch's Dry Dock, a hot dog would really have hit the spot. The city says it is willing to work with Nathan, but keeping food carts out of the small, walkable downtown area is pretty much the same thing as banning food carts altogether. Nathan and his family obviously know that: The hot dog cart is now for sale.

He should sue the city for the cost of his time and his hot dog stand and lost revenue. He checked with them first and they gave him the wrong answer.

He will need a Guardian to sue, and as a 13 year old cannot enter a valid contract, whoever spent his money should be the subject of an investigation. Perhaps the city is liable for some amount IF an AUTHORIZED adult was given incorrect advice (in writing) and invested the child's funds in reliance thereon. Other than that, he may require a Guardian period, a 13 year old child should not be in a position to "spend" that kind of money.

What a nurturing mentor you would be for Junior Achievement.

The people you're referring to, doing the zoning, were ELECTED. Maybe the restaurant owners were big campaign donors;

maybe the free speech power of their money, a cherished conservative principle, got them the no-carts deal.

OK first of all, knowing how stupid you are, I know you wont understand.
See zoning laws are INTENDED for REAL businesses, not some kid doing yardwork, or a lemonade stand. Most people dont have to have it written in a legal matter, becasue we just kind of understand that. People who do need it in writing are pricks....and I dont care if they're republican or democrat. In fact run on keeping those lemonade stands down, I promise you politicians will be running from that position, because it means you're an asshole who has no soul. So while you think democrats are perfect and can do no wrong, they can and so can republicans......DUH DUH DUUUUUH
So the point is why are the commissioners worried about this? How about we make a rule, if you're under 18 you dont need a perment, sound fair?

You apparently, and not surprisingly, don't know that food carts are real food service businesses.

Keep it up. lol

No I dont care, thats not a real buisness...a cart?yeah I see so many, at the fair, that's about it....I live in Memphis, you dont really see those around here, if you want food you go INTO a restaurant... So a 6 year old with a lemonade stand should incorporate? And it's a 13 year old, while I dont think we should be lax on them in criminal matters, this is rediculous

Last edited:
Here's an idea, why doesn't Big Brother just leave this kid alone? For that matter, why doesn't he just leave the American People alone? I know this is a radical & subversive idea, but what the hell, why not give it a shot Big Brother?

so you support selective enforcement of laws/rules?

His point was it's a 13 year old kid, have some perspective

Yes, I understand 13 yer old children should not be allowed to spend $1,200 on whatever they wish. And I realize 13 year old children cannot enter into contracts, that has been overlooked in this "story".

Here's an idea, why doesn't Big Brother just leave this kid alone? For that matter, why doesn't he just leave the American People alone? I know this is a radical & subversive idea, but what the hell, why not give it a shot Big Brother?

When it comes to restricting the economic freedom of folks, leftists are 100% by the book law enforcers.. Not so much when it comes to Congressional ethics, election law, the Constitution or anything else that YOU and I consider important..

When it comes to restricting the economic freedom of folks, leftists are 100% by the book law enforcers.. Not so much when it comes to Congressional ethics, election law, the Constitution or anything else that YOU and I consider important..

You believe 13 year children should be allowed to spend thousands of dollars as they wish.....ODD. Children are appointed GUARDIANS to handle large sums of money, at least in this country. Your nation may differ in its "traditions".

"12 year old denied the right to pawn diamond for a baseball glove, protests erupt in Des Moines over the restriction of Bobby Offspring's 'civil rights' " :lol::lol::lol:

Your lack of understanding of the facts of the case is comical.

What's to understand? He checked with the city to make sure it was okay, they said it was, he did it, they came back and said it wasn't okay. The city wasted his time and money by giving him the wrong information.

You believe 13 year children should be allowed to spend thousands of dollars as they wish.....ODD. Children are appointed GUARDIANS to handle large sums of money, at least in this country. Your nation may differ in its "traditions".

"12 year old denied the right to pawn diamond for a baseball glove, protests erupt in Des Moines over the restriction of Bobby Offspring's 'civil rights' " :lol::lol::lol:

Absolutely I believe that. You DO KNOW about Junior Achievement, FFarmersAmer, and dozens of other programs to teach kids at that age how the market works -- RIGHT? Even sponsored by Big Govt. Not unusual for PARENTS to invest in young talent. And the RETURN depends on the COOPERATION of the young artist, athelete, drama queen, doesn't it? Aren't THEY the critical link in those investments.

Seems to me -- you've got some dam low expectations of what types of resolution and responsibility kids of that age are capable of..

I soloed an airplane at age 17.. A LOT of that money was self-earned. Sue me...

OK first of all, knowing how stupid you are, I know you wont understand.
See zoning laws are INTENDED for REAL businesses, not some kid doing yardwork, or a lemonade stand. Most people dont have to have it written in a legal matter, becasue we just kind of understand that. People who do need it in writing are pricks....and I dont care if they're republican or democrat. In fact run on keeping those lemonade stands down, I promise you politicians will be running from that position, because it means you're an asshole who has no soul. So while you think democrats are perfect and can do no wrong, they can and so can republicans......DUH DUH DUUUUUH
So the point is why are the commissioners worried about this? How about we make a rule, if you're under 18 you dont need a perment, sound fair?

You apparently, and not surprisingly, don't know that food carts are real food service businesses.

Keep it up. lol

No I dont care, thats not a real buisness...a cart?yeah I see so many, at the fair, that's about it....I live in Memphis, you dont really see those around here, if you want food you go INTO a restaurant... So a 6 year old with a lemonade stand should incorporate? And it's a 13 year old, while I dont think we should be lax on them in criminal matters, this is rediculous

Actually my cousins ex-husband made over $700 a day with his cart. He wrked 11:00am - 3:00 pm Monday thru Friday he didn't work weekends.

Yes, I understand 13 yer old children should not be allowed to spend $1,200 on whatever they wish. And I realize 13 year old children cannot enter into contracts, that has been overlooked in this "story".

What contracts? If he formed a business and his father or mother was a partner, then it is legal.

Keep it up. lol

Actually my cousins ex-husband made over $700 a day with his cart. He wrked 11:00am - 3:00 pm Monday thru Friday he didn't work weekends.

Cool, I should get a hotdog cart....:D

You forgot one of the most important ones: immigration law. Not only are they lax about enforcing it, they won't allow anyone else to enforce it.

Absolutely I believe that. You DO KNOW about Junior Achievement, FFarmersAmer, and dozens of other programs to teach kids at that age how the market works -- RIGHT? Even sponsored by Big Govt. Not unusual for PARENTS to invest in young talent. And the RETURN depends on the COOPERATION of the young artist, athelete, drama queen, doesn't it? Aren't THEY the critical link in those investments.

Seems to me -- you've got some dam low expectations of what types of resolution and responsibility kids of that age are capable of..

I bought calves and raised them up to be feeders. If the died, then I'd take a loss. There were times I'd stay up all night with them to make sure the lived. I was 12 at the time, and kept reinvesting. I learned a lot about business, responsibility, work ethic, satisfaction in my work. I never will forget going to auctions and buying and selling cows.

And $1200 in the 70's was good money, and I made and invested a lot more than that.

I say more power to the kid. If this doesn't work, then move on to the next one.

You really do not know the law, I suggest you go back and learn it. The truth is anyone can enter into a contract, even a 13 yo. The catch is that the contract is not legally enforceable on the 13 yo if he does not keep the terms of it unless he is declared emancipated by a court. That explains why most people will not get into a contract with a minor. That does not mean a parent cannot sign a contract on behalf of a minor, and that the parent will be responsible if that contract is breached. If it did there would be no children in movies or TV shows.

Now that we have cleared up your misconceptions I will point out that your comment is completely irrelevant to the topic.

AG kids support their project by selling the animal, then they are slaughtered, then we have a nice bbq dinner.
It is nice that the government supports these activities, i support them wholeheartily, but they have to pass by following the rules, so do I in business. The city told the boy they would work with him, but he has decided to quit, which I do not recommend.One of the first lessons you will learn if you are to run a business is that, you must be the one to persevere under any conditions thrown at you to succede.

Last edited:
I just don't ever remember ANY business person refusing to take my money as a kid. Even in the absence of a parent.. Were they all criminals? Want to MAKE it a CRIME? Anyone?

Isn't there an "implied" or explicit contract everytime you buy a movie ticket? Go to a football game? Dine in a restaurant with your date? Open and install a software package?

Keep it up. lol

Obviously you can make money, but it's not a realy job or business to me. It's good money, thats not bad at all, but to me it's a business like a MLM,,,,,yeah it's business and you can make money, but it's not opening a store or website, I think it's the dcart, to me that has always been a small potatos, kiddie kinda of thing, except in NYC, but even then, it just doesnt feel like a business, just an opinon

Well, it's been fun observing the usual statists on the board come out of the woodwork on this one. You know though, there's one thing everyone seems to have overlooked.When elected officials (at ANY level, whether that be local, state or federal), pass and/or enforce a law, ANY law, for the exclusive or special benefit of their contributors, political or business cronies, or a particular business or set of businesses, instead of the voters of the community, there's a name for that. It's not democratic, republican or libertarian-it's just plain old-fashioned graft and corruption, which in entirely too many places these days, passes for politics as usual.That's not justice; and it's not big government, or limited government-it's just BAD government. Perhaps the voters of the city in question might remember that, come the next election. You get rid of crony politicians the same way you do any other politicians-fire the sonsofbitches!

Forum List

Back