Poll: Americans don’t think gun control is important

Known as the "gun show loophole," most states do not require background checks for private firearms purchases at gun shows. Federal law only requires licensed dealers to do background checks at gun shows.

View variations in policies from state-to-state in the following map:

Interactive Map: Gun Show Background Checks State Laws
You and I have been through this before
1. It's 10 years in prison to sale a firearm to someone who cannot ownn a firearm
2. You should know your friends background you do not need a piece of paper from the government telling you what you already know.

Funny. Retarded, but funny. Most of us know that private gun sales aren't always between "friends" or people who even know each other.

1. It's 10 years in prison to sale a firearm to someone who cannot ownn a firearm
2. You should know your friends background you do not need a piece of paper from the government telling you what you already know.

Funny. Retarded, but funny. Most of us know that private gun sales aren't always between "friends" or people who even know each other.

And the ones you are suggesting aren't legal to begin with No one who can legally buy a firearm wants to go to prison for 10 years so someone else can have a firearm

No, you made an assertion framed as a question-and-answer, and it's currently descending earthwards in flames.

You could say that you don't know the answer yourself which we might believe.

Stop dragging your feet either add to the discussion or move on.

Well it can't move on if you haven't proven your claim about gun ownership.
You might be right but I assume that you've already done the research so no-one else should have to look it up for you.

Just you saying that doesn't make it so.
Dig down a prove first.
OH and I have never lost an argument on the second amendment or guns./

And the ones you are suggesting aren't legal to begin with No one who can legally buy a firearm wants to go to prison for 10 years so someone else can have a firearm

Are you suggesting that background checks apply to all types of firearms sold in all states?

Yep.

Anyway, I'm curious, if you're right that background chaecks are always required then what did the bill introduce that you objected to so strongly?

If I'm right? Background checks are enforced federally ATF FORUM 4473 I even posted the form but you made no comment about it.

That's because it's irrelevant.
It's only used when background checks are required...by licensed dealers.
I know you knew that, you're just playing with me, arncha.

:eusa_think: Nobody, even a private seller, would think of selling a car to a Monkey who couldn't produce a state-issued drivers license....

:dunno: What if there were a rule that said nobody could purchase a weapon without a state issued weapons permit, and if you're too little to get a permit, you're parents are responsible for anyone you shoot.

Screw the gun registry... lets register the gun nuts. :wink_2:

Permits take away rights Rights are not permit issue

With the great power of operating a motor vehicle comes the great responsibility of letting the rest of us know you know what the fuck you're doing by obtaining and maintaining a state issued drivers license.

Deadly Weapon :dunno: Motor Vehicle

This is NOT rocket science, kids.

Federal Firearms License (FFL) holders must perform background checks on gun buyers at the time of sale. The Brady Act of 1993 implemented the procedures that all gun dealers follow when selling firearms. The buyer must be present and fill out the ATF form 4473. Depending on jurisdiction, the dealer calls either the FBI to perform the National Instant Criminal Background check or the state agency responsible for performing criminal background checks. Some exceptions exist to the rules where an FFL is not required to purchase a firearm.

What Guns Don't Require an FFL?

Stop dragging your feet either add to the discussion or move on.

You might be right but I assume that you've already done the research so no-one else should have to look it up for you.

Dig down a prove first.

Well this is truly a historical thread then.

Are you suggesting that background checks apply to all types of firearms sold in all states?

Friends know friends background/

You would need to fill out a 4473 -- a six-page form from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
Then a call is made too the FBI's Criminal Justice Information Services Division

buying gun at gun store/
buy gun online/
buying gun at gun show/

The 90% is bullshit
and
someone else buying a gun for someone who can buy one will get you 10 years in prison.

Dig down a prove first.

Well this is truly a historical thread then.

Prove it first before you make the claim. I'll wait.

FACT: Private Sales Without A Background Check Are Extremely Common, Including At Gun Shows And Online

Law Center To Prevent Gun Violence: Private Sales Loophole Has Been Exploited By Gun Traffickers And Used To Supply Firearms To Criminals. The Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence explained how a deficiency in federal law concerning how firearms sellers are licensed allows dangerous individuals to obtain firearms without a background check:

The Gun Control Act of 1968 provides that persons "engaged in the business" of dealing in firearms must be licensed. Although Congress did not originally define the term "engaged in the business," it did so in 1986 as part of the McClure-Volkmer Act (also known as the "Firearms Owners' Protection Act"). That Act defined the term "engaged in the business," as applied to a firearms dealer, as "a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms."

Significantly, however, the term was defined to exclude a person who "makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms."

Consequently, unlicensed sellers may sell firearms without conducting background checks or documenting the transaction in any way. In addition, because federal law does not require private sellers to inspect a buyer's driver's license or any other identification, there is no obligation for such sellers to confirm that a buyer is of legal age to purchase a firearm. As a result, convicted felons, minors and other prohibited purchasers can easily buy guns from unlicensed sellers.

According to a 1999 report issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), the current definition of "engaged in the business" often frustrates the prosecution of "unlicensed dealers masquerading as collectors or hobbyists but who are really trafficking firearms to felons or other prohibited persons." A June 2000 ATF report found that unlicensed sellers were involved in about a fifth of the trafficking investigations and associated with nearly 23,000 diverted guns. A national survey of firearm ownership conducted in 1994 determined that 60 percent of all firearm sales in the U.S. involved federally licensed dealers, while the remaining 40 percent of firearms were acquired from unlicensed sellers. [Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, accessed 4/11/13]​

Much More: Seven Media Myths About The Gun Background Check System

FACT: Private Sales Without A Background Check Are Extremely Common, Including At Gun Shows And Online

Law Center To Prevent Gun Violence: Private Sales Loophole Has Been Exploited By Gun Traffickers And Used To Supply Firearms To Criminals. The Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence explained how a deficiency in federal law concerning how firearms sellers are licensed allows dangerous individuals to obtain firearms without a background check:

The Gun Control Act of 1968 provides that persons "engaged in the business" of dealing in firearms must be licensed. Although Congress did not originally define the term "engaged in the business," it did so in 1986 as part of the McClure-Volkmer Act (also known as the "Firearms Owners' Protection Act"). That Act defined the term "engaged in the business," as applied to a firearms dealer, as "a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms."

Significantly, however, the term was defined to exclude a person who "makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms."

Consequently, unlicensed sellers may sell firearms without conducting background checks or documenting the transaction in any way. In addition, because federal law does not require private sellers to inspect a buyer's driver's license or any other identification, there is no obligation for such sellers to confirm that a buyer is of legal age to purchase a firearm. As a result, convicted felons, minors and other prohibited purchasers can easily buy guns from unlicensed sellers.

According to a 1999 report issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), the current definition of "engaged in the business" often frustrates the prosecution of "unlicensed dealers masquerading as collectors or hobbyists but who are really trafficking firearms to felons or other prohibited persons." A June 2000 ATF report found that unlicensed sellers were involved in about a fifth of the trafficking investigations and associated with nearly 23,000 diverted guns. A national survey of firearm ownership conducted in 1994 determined that 60 percent of all firearm sales in the U.S. involved federally licensed dealers, while the remaining 40 percent of firearms were acquired from unlicensed sellers. [Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, accessed 4/11/13]​

I've seen a statistic that 40% of guns are sold without background checks.

I've seen a statistic that 40% of guns are sold without background checks.

Correct.

I have to prove that this is the first time you've lost an argument on guns?
I doubt that I can do that.

So you can't prove that I have lost a debate on guns? Not even this thread?

No, I can't prove that this is the first time that you've lost a debate.

Never asked you to prove if this was my first. I asked you to prove that I have lost a debate on guns. and you said you can't.

got some night firing run and gun to do be back later.

Forum List

Back