POLL: How many recent police shootings would have happened if....

How many shootings would have happened if they had not resisted arrest?

• 0% - Resist arrest and all bets are off, do what the cop says

Votes: 29 85.3%
  • 25%

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • 50%

• 75%

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • 100% - The cops would have found an excuse to kill them anyway

• Total voters
Full disclosure: I have already whipped out the abacus to keep track of how many times it will be said or inferred I am a racist for daring to ask such a CRAZY question...

Let's look at the police shootings of Black Americans over the last five to eight years, particularly those that made national news and/or inspired protests.

What percentage of those shootings would have happened if the guy had simply, immediately and fully followed police orders, like you and I would have? If they had not resisted arrest to some degree?

Addressing this issue should be done with as much care as addressing the issue of bad cops, no?

in which ones did they "resist arrest"?

the one where the guy was lying on his back with his hands up?

the one where the guy had his hands up and put them on the side of the car?

the one where they did a drive by on a 12 year old who was playing with a toy gun?

the one in an open carry state where they shot a guy for having a gun and TELLING THEM about it and going to get his license?

the one where they choked a guy to death for selling loose cigarettes?

which one was resisting arrest?
You can't think of any highly-publicized shootings over the last couple of years in which the person was shot after not complying with the officer?

Are you serious?

i asked a question. which one was resisting arrest?
None of the people in the examples you chose to provide were resisting arrest. I may be wrong about that, but it's not worth the effort to check.

Anything else?
I believe you are confirming what she is saying
I'm not sure what she's saying.

That none of the people who have been shot by police were resisting arrest at the time? Is that it? That the premise of the thread itself is wrong?

She hasn't answered my clear and direct question, so there is no way to know.

Full disclosure: I have already whipped out the abacus to keep track of how many times it will be said or inferred I am a racist for daring to ask such a CRAZY question...

Let's look at the police shootings of Black Americans over the last five to eight years, particularly those that made national news and/or inspired protests.

What percentage of those shootings would have happened if the guy had simply, immediately and fully followed police orders, like you and I would have? If they had not resisted arrest to some degree?

Addressing this issue should be done with as much care as addressing the issue of bad cops, no?

the one where they did a drive by on a 12 year old who was playing with a toy gun?

the one in an open carry state where they shot a guy for having a gun and TELLING THEM about it and going to get his license?

You can't think of any highly-publicized shootings over the last couple of years in which the person was shot after not complying with the officer?

Are you serious?

None of the people in the examples you chose to provide were resisting arrest. I may be wrong about that, but it's not worth the effort to check.

Anything else?

i didn't have to check. i can run down all of them. i don't think i left anyone out.

so my point is, it isn't "worth the check" when we know the answer.

i understand your questions, but really, when someone does a drive by on a 12 year old after being told by the 9-1-1 operator that they believed the kid had a toy gun... and the cop doesn't even stop the car before shooting the kid, there isn't a lot to say. i specifically asked about all of the incidents above. i can go one more and ask if it was ok for police to drive in such a manner that they broke the neck of the person they arrested? that doesn't make a judgment about whether they should have made an arrest or not in that instance, but it does speak to cavalier treatment of another human being.

Are you serious?

Anything else?
I believe you are confirming what she is saying
I'm not sure what she's saying.

That none of the people who have been shot by police were resisting arrest at the time? Is that it? That the premise of the thread itself is wrong?

She hasn't answered my clear and direct question, so there is no way to know.

you know exactly what i'm saying. you asked which instance of killing of young black males wouldn't have occurred if they hadn't "resisted arrest". i pointed out that in none of the instances i mentioned was anyone resisting arrest.

i asked you to name one incident where someone did resist arrest.

I don't want a country where police shoot unarmed citizens and neither do you. Unless you are a crazy person.

I have no problem with officers shooting ALL criminals, regardless of their state of armament.

I say that as someone who expects to die at the hands of LEOs some day.

you really should consider seeking help before you consider suicide by cop. it's messy, takes up a lot of law enforcement resources and pisses people off.

How about- the one where the kid was shot 16 times, 15 of them when he way sprawled out on the ground.

The one where the lady was arrested for not putting out a cigarette, thrown into a cell and mysteriously was found strangled to death the next day.

The one where the guy was arrested for having a pocket knife, thrown in the back of a police wagon and wound up with his neck broken.

The one were the immigrant was sodomized with a plunger handle.

The one where the unarmed immigrant was shot 43 times in the stairwell of his building.

It strikes me that the fact a citizen failed to comply with Police orders and expected to get out of it alive proves the level of American citizen's intelligence is rather low.

This country hasn't been interested in Justice for decades, but this guy got Justice - Consequences for improper behavior.

I don't want a country where police shoot unarmed citizens and neither do you. Unless you are a crazy person.
He is as batshit as you, Joey.

How about- the one where the kid was shot 16 times, 15 of them when he way sprawled out on the ground.

The one where the lady was arrested for not putting out a cigarette, thrown into a cell and mysteriously was found strangled to death the next day.

The one where the guy was arrested for having a pocket knife, thrown in the back of a police wagon and wound up with his neck broken.

The one were the immigrant was sodomized with a plunger handle.

The one where the unarmed immigrant was shot 43 times in the stairwell of his building.

yup.

you really should consider seeking help before you consider suicide by cop. it's messy, takes up a lot of law enforcement resources and pisses people off.

It wouldn't be suicide by cop. There are specific scenarios where I will not comply with police orders. In those situations I will not get out alive.

It wouldn't be suicide by cop. There are specific scenarios where I will not comply with police orders. In those situations I will not get out alive.

in other words you'd like to die and make some insane point.

like i said....seriously. i'm not saying this to be mean. i want you to get help. no one should feel that hopeless.

like i said....seriously. i'm not saying this to be mean. i want you to get help. no one should feel that hopeless.

I have no desire to die, but I will die before I give up my arms or concede certain other sociopolitical points.

The mental health thing has been tried multiple times and been determined to be useless. It will not change anything and would simply be a waste of time and money.

The only things that might have a chance to change my life would be a time machine and/or a device to change DNA.

I have no desire to die, but I will die before I give up my arms or concede certain other sociopolitical points.

The mental health thing has been tried multiple times and been determined to be useless. It will not change anything and would simply be a waste of time and money.

The only things that might have a chance to change my life would be a time machine and/or a device to change DNA.

Sounds more like a giant tantrum and a misplaced sense of priorities. I wish you better.

Resisting arrest in NY is a class A misdemeanor. We don't have any provisions for authorizing the police to serve as prosecutor, judge, jury, and executioner for class A misdemeanors.
Disrespect for Police Is Treason to the Whole Society

The way you jump to conclusions and hope we will miss your defective logic is very dishonest. Resisting arrest is only the first step made towards a sequence that will eventually reach a point where the cop will have to defend his own life. So the perp should backtrack from that or die.

Also, it should be a felony. We don't have to accept legal determinations that put the police and the public at risk.

Forum List

Back