POLL: Politics, Suicide & Depression in America

Are our political behaviors making us more & more miserable?

• Yes. We're doing this to ourselves by choice

Votes: 19 61.3%
  • No. There is no connection here.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • This is a problem of the other side, not mine.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Mango. I have no idea.

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters
Item One
Our suicide rates have increased to the point at which the CDC says they are actually affecting our life expectancy. Our usage of antidepressants continues to increase. Looking at the facts, it's not difficult to argue that we, as a society, are become more and more unhappy.

Item Two
More and more, Americans are walking around in a state of hypersensitivity, just waiting to be outraged or offended by something. When someone from the "other" tribe does or says something that we can attack, we jump right in with the group hysterics.

Theory
We're making ourselves more and more miserable by adhering ourselves to political ideologies, by refusing to even understand the opinions of those who dare to disagree with us, and by jumping on the tiniest opportunities as a reasonable excuse to attack the "other".

Please vote and comment. Thanks.

=============

U.S. Antidepressant Use Jumps 65 Percent in 15 Years
Suicides are at the highest rate in decades, CDC report shows

Vox is another.

It is a myth that people are unwilling to hear and consider the opinions of those who oppose them politically.
You, being at the epicenter of the opioid epidemic imnFla., could really school weasel Mac on this issue but its a waste of your time. At the end of the day, every day actually...he needs to be sad. Let him has a sad.

It's our culture in decay, dude. And I fear it may be intentional. Whatever will we do?

I know! Let's have tea with climate change deniers and white supremacists! That's the ticket!
If you could interview someone about what stresses them out 500 years ago...

theyd likely answer health, crime, politics, and making ends meet.

Shocker, there

Our culture was never in decay before. Things were way better before TV poisoned our minds.

Hey Jim! Is that a crow I see?

Item One
Our suicide rates have increased to the point at which the CDC says they are actually affecting our life expectancy. Our usage of antidepressants continues to increase. Looking at the facts, it's not difficult to argue that we, as a society, are become more and more unhappy.

Item Two
More and more, Americans are walking around in a state of hypersensitivity, just waiting to be outraged or offended by something. When someone from the "other" tribe does or says something that we can attack, we jump right in with the group hysterics.

Theory
We're making ourselves more and more miserable by adhering ourselves to political ideologies, by refusing to even understand the opinions of those who dare to disagree with us, and by jumping on the tiniest opportunities as a reasonable excuse to attack the "other".

=============

Vox is another.
What do you mean by "quartz" and "Vox"?

It is a myth that people are unwilling to hear and consider the opinions of those who oppose them politically.
You, being at the epicenter of the opioid epidemic imnFla., could really school weasel Mac on this issue but its a waste of your time. At the end of the day, every day actually...he needs to be sad. Let him has a sad.

It's our culture in decay, dude. And I fear it may be intentional. Whatever will we do?

I know! Let's have tea with climate change deniers and white supremacists! That's the ticket!

Shocker, there

Our culture was never in decay before. Things were way better before TV poisoned our minds.

In a sense, tv and the internet is certainly poisoning guys like sanctimoneous Mac's mind...

look at him go ...... violent crime is historically low and because he cannot handle the speed and freeflow of information on the internet...the little rome in his brain is burning...

as gdp rises, employment is good...wealth is increasing...crime is down...

But its those damn kids with saggy pants that ruined it all for socrates

Shocker, there

Add famine, plague and dynastic warfare. So this problem today must be not physical but spiritual and cultural instead.

Shocker, there

In a sense, tv and the internet is certainly poisoning guys like sanctimoneous Mac's mind...

look at him go ...... violent crime is historically low and because he cannot handle the speed and freeflow of information on the internet...the little rome in his brain is burning...

as gdp rises, employment is good...wealth is increasing...crime is down...

But its those damn kids with saggy pants that ruined it all for socrates

And the kids! They are so soft! All those participation trophies have greatly reduced the talent pool in professional sports! Those 57' Yanks could beat today's Red Sox any day of the week. Only the BEST players got trophies back then!

Last edited:
Item One

Item Two

Theory

=============

Two things. One is that many of those drug overdoses mentioned may very well be suicides. Addicts reach a point where they are stuck in a loop and that's the out. That suicide rate could be higher.

The other is that there is a lack of mental health care nation wide. No beds. Closing of hospitals etc. and so on.

So, if the plan is to completely ignore the issue for another 12 years then we can tie it to political ideology but on the part of the people who continue to ignore it.

Item One

Item Two

Theory

=============

Vox is another.

I mean that every article you quote is from an organization that has spent years driving women to this point for profit and power.
Liberalism kills. It is a deadly mental illness.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-didnt-quite-work-out/?utm_term=.b59e938c8a35

1FF95029-8C43-41C0-9A84-0EFE8C3999E3.jpeg

Shocker, there

Add famine, plague and dynastic warfare. So this problem today must be not physical but spiritual and cultural instead.
Culture is how YOU and YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY interact.

Thats on YOU.

My family and friends' cultures are thriving. Shit, just last night we had a bring your own app. to a fight caard party and it was marvelous. The kids all got along great, too.

The problem here is with mental health.....

its numbers are NECESSARILY increasing because its a NEWER field of healthcare and drugs.

Theyre over prescribing, over diagnosing and making money hand over fist in the mean time. Use your head, the data is all there.

Item One

Item Two

Theory

=============

Two things. One is that many of those drug overdoses mentioned may very well be suicides. Addicts reach a point where they are stuck in a loop and that's the out. That suicide rate could be higher.

The other is that there is a lack of mental health care nation wide. No beds. Closing of hospitals etc. and so on.

So, if the plan is to completely ignore the issue for another 12 years then we can tie it to political ideology but on the part of the people who continue to ignore it.
We're great at ignoring issues that are staring us in the face, that's for sure. So it becomes a chicken-or-the-egg question: Are our cultural behaviors driving the suicide/drug increases, or is it the other way around?

Shocker, there

Thats on YOU.

My family and friends' cultures are thriving. Shit, just last night we had a bring your own app. to a fight caard party and it was marvelous. The kids all got along great, too.

its numbers are NECESSARILY increasing because its a NEWER field of healthcare and drugs.

Theyre over prescribing, over diagnosing and making money hand over fist in the mean time. Use your head, the data is all there.

Another one to live forever in the ignore box.

Item One

Item Two

Theory

=============

Vox is another.

I mean that every article you quote is from an organization that has spent years driving women to this point for profit and power.
Liberalism kills. It is a deadly mental illness.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-didnt-quite-work-out/?utm_term=.b59e938c8a35

View attachment 249562
So you feel this is an issue created and driven by the Left?

Shocker, there

Thats on YOU.

Another one to live forever in the ignore box.
snowflake

• Thanks
Reactions: GT
This piece posits that it's a cultural issue, and doesn't get into the politics of it:

How Suicide Quietly Morphed Into a Public Health Crisis

The social scientists Christopher Lasch and Robert Putnam identified postwar influences that have corroded the fabric of local everyday life — the block parties, church meetings, family barbecues and civic groups that once bound people against solitude and abandonment.

More recently, the economists Anne Case and Angus Deaton of Princeton have argued that the hollowing out of the economy and loss of middle and working class supports, like unions, have contributed to a broad increase in self-reported pain in those groups, both mental and physical.

The aggressive marketing of opioids by Purdue Pharma and others eased some of that pain — and helped create a generation of addicts, tens of thousands of whom die each year. Opioids are the third most common drugs found in the systems of suicides, after alcohol and anti-anxiety medications, the C.D.C. reported.

A decline in marriage rates has likely played a role, as well. In her research, Dr. Phillips has found that in 2005 single middle-aged women were as much as 2.8 times more likely to kill themselves than married women, and their single male peers 3.5 times more likely than married men to do the same.

We are the anxiety society....low sleep and hectic schedules. Stress stress stress. Go to work, slog thru the day, go home, do it again and again. Maybe a week or two off all year. There's going to be problems.

We are the anxiety society....low sleep and hectic schedules. Stress stress stress. Go to work, slog thru the day, go home, do it again and again. Maybe a week or two off all year. There's going to be problems.
Yeah. No doubt there's all kinds of drivers at work. The economic system, social media, politics, mental health access, on and on.

As I'm reading through stuff, I think it's more likely that our political behaviors are more a result, a manifestation, of the above.

Unless we're suffering from a powerful mental illness, we still choose to behave the way we do, however.

Item One

Item Two

Theory

=============

Half the nation doesn’t vote at all.

The other half aren’t exactly melancholy.

Those that are angry seem to be most agitated when they are having to play defense as you see daily with trump supporters. You’d figure they’d be happier. It’s a group psychosis that is probably akin to an army knowing its losing and had a leader planning a victory parade.

Forum List

Back