Powell: Voter ID laws are going to "backfire"

This prediction from a top Republican no less.

Powell: Voter ID laws are going to "backfire" - CBS News Video

Gen. Colin Powell says voter ID laws that make it harder for minorities to vote will "backfire," because "these people are going to come out and do what they have to do in order to vote."

The whole point of voter ID is to get legitimate voters to come out and do what they have to do in order to vote. I do think people will prove that it's not that difficult to do, which is the exact opposite of what those against voter ID are claiming.

I have said all along that it's bull that minorities have difficulty in obtaining an ID and did not consider it a legitimate argument against the voter ID law. It's the left who says it can't be done and it took a Republican to point out that it can be. It's a shame that the left has made false claims that the law is designed to prevent minorities from voting. It's bullshit because minorities are not as helpless as the left claims they are. Only illegals and cheaters will be stopped from voting and that's the way it should be.

Citizens of all races need to get out and vote and not have their votes cancelled out by some illegitimate voters.

What the left refuses to admit is that there is a lot of cheating. The only people caught are those who voted more than once and that is because the computer catches it when the same name and info is in the system more than once. Those are fairly easy to catch and the only ones that have been caught are those casting more than one ballot. That is not where the serious cheating is going on.

Only about a fourth of eligible voters even bothered to get out and vote. That is truly pathetic!! However, those unused ballots are quite legitimate and can be filled out by anyone, whether it's people walking in and giving names of people they know won't vote or whether it's organized cheating with the help of some poll workers. There are many ballots left at the end of the day and they get filled out and counted even though the people who rightfully are entitled to the ballots never came out and voted. Look at the election with Al Franken and the way a trunk load of votes magically appeared. Those were likely some of the unclaimed ballots that got filled out and counted.

If everyone has to show ID, it helps to keep the poll workers honest as well as any groups who plan to use the leftover ballots to tilt an election.

Obama received over 100% of votes in some Ohio districts as well as other places. That is impossible, yet no cries for an investigation. Of course, the only way to discover if cheating went on, aside from clearly impossible results, is to contact every person in the district and ask if they voted and who they voted for. That will never be done.

Cheating is all too easy for the dishonest the way it's set up now. And there is no way to prove it. Therefore, preventing it in the first place is the only answer.

We should all have special voting ID that get scanned when we enter the polls and it would curb cheating because people could not vote more than once and people could not use someone else's name and cast a ballot. One guy proved how easy that was by walking into a Chicago polling place and was handed Rahm Emanuel's ballot just because he told them it was his name. No one asks questions or checks ID. And good luck trying to prove it after the fact.

Yes, there is a lot of cheating and no way to catch people who vote using the wrong names. That is where the massive cheating is, but some wish to believe that only the handful who are stupid enough to vote more than once under their own name is the only cheating. Get real.

Of course, the left has done a bang up job of trying to convince black people that voter IDs are going to disenfranchise them and in order to believe that, everyone has to see blacks as less intelligent than others. It's amazing that more blacks weren't highly insulted at the suggestion that they couldn't meet such a simple requirement. Does the left really believe that they are helpless little idiots? I hope not. It's all just lies and twisting facts. I guess if you can't win by using honest debate, you sink pretty low and try to scam your way to a win.

Methinks Colin Powell should be retired on a tropical beach somewhere by now...

How about showing some respect for the military? Is this how Republicans now treat distinguished Joint Chiefs of Staff Colin Powell?

How about showing some respect for intelligence? I, for one, am tired of watching leftists kiss the ass of anyone who 1) is famous, and 2) says what they want to hear. Feel free to worship the guy's opinion for whatever reason you want, but DON'T try to tell me I have to join you. I still have functioning brain cells, and retain the right and ability to disagree with any damned person I choose.

POWELL...is a PROGRESSIVE...

Try again.

Too bad there will never be enough true conservatives to save the Republican Party. The quacks on the far right have won the battle but lost the war. They now control every facet of the Republican Party, but in doing so they have lost the moderates and will end up ceding control to the Democrats for many generations to come.

But see...I don't think they care anymore. They've decided that the "fight" is local and have, in my opinion, given up on ever winning on a National level.

Gen. Colin Powell says voter ID laws that make it harder for minorities to vote will "backfire," because "these people are going to come out and do what they have to do in order to vote."

Republican my dogs ass :up: true "top" Republicans do not slurp up every bit if dribble from a lying liberal muslime illegal alien democRAT :up:

he would have never gotten above the rank of corporal had it not been for A.A. :up:
fucking traitorous bastard !

You freaking tea-bagger racists are going to chase Powell over to the Democrats yet.

Methinks Colin Powell should be retired on a tropical beach somewhere by now...

How about showing some respect for the military? Is this how Republicans now treat distinguished Joint Chiefs of Staff Colin Powell?

How about showing some respect for intelligence? I, for one, am tired of watching leftists kiss the ass of anyone who 1) is famous, and 2) says what they want to hear. Feel free to worship the guy's opinion for whatever reason you want, but DON'T try to tell me I have to join you. I still have functioning brain cells, and retain the right and ability to disagree with any damned person I choose.

You have the right to be a loser... carry on my friend!

POWELL...is a PROGRESSIVE...

Try again.

Too bad there will never be enough true conservatives to save the Republican Party. The quacks on the far right have won the battle but lost the war. They now control every facet of the Republican Party, but in doing so they have lost the moderates and will end up ceding control to the Democrats for many generations to come.
YOU hold on to that thought son...

Powell, like most intelligent people, realizes that blacks can see that Voter ID was a transparent attempt to suppress the votes of low income people, many of whom are black, and most of whom vote Democratic.

Just like the GOP's attempts to shorten early voting times. The GOP knows the higher the voter turnout, the smaller the GOP's chances in an election.

The GOP is branding itself as the party of voter suppression. They are regressing more and more toward their Dixiecrat forebears every day. And this will backfire.

Last edited:

The whole point of voter ID is to get legitimate voters to come out and do what they have to do in order to vote. I do think people will prove that it's not that difficult to do, which is the exact opposite of what those against voter ID are claiming.

I have said all along that it's bull that minorities have difficulty in obtaining an ID and did not consider it a legitimate argument against the voter ID law. It's the left who says it can't be done and it took a Republican to point out that it can be. It's a shame that the left has made false claims that the law is designed to prevent minorities from voting. It's bullshit because minorities are not as helpless as the left claims they are. Only illegals and cheaters will be stopped from voting and that's the way it should be.

Citizens of all races need to get out and vote and not have their votes cancelled out by some illegitimate voters.

What the left refuses to admit is that there is a lot of cheating. The only people caught are those who voted more than once and that is because the computer catches it when the same name and info is in the system more than once. Those are fairly easy to catch and the only ones that have been caught are those casting more than one ballot. That is not where the serious cheating is going on.

Only about a fourth of eligible voters even bothered to get out and vote. That is truly pathetic!! However, those unused ballots are quite legitimate and can be filled out by anyone, whether it's people walking in and giving names of people they know won't vote or whether it's organized cheating with the help of some poll workers. There are many ballots left at the end of the day and they get filled out and counted even though the people who rightfully are entitled to the ballots never came out and voted. Look at the election with Al Franken and the way a trunk load of votes magically appeared. Those were likely some of the unclaimed ballots that got filled out and counted.

If everyone has to show ID, it helps to keep the poll workers honest as well as any groups who plan to use the leftover ballots to tilt an election.

Obama received over 100% of votes in some Ohio districts as well as other places. That is impossible, yet no cries for an investigation. Of course, the only way to discover if cheating went on, aside from clearly impossible results, is to contact every person in the district and ask if they voted and who they voted for. That will never be done.

Cheating is all too easy for the dishonest the way it's set up now. And there is no way to prove it. Therefore, preventing it in the first place is the only answer.

We should all have special voting ID that get scanned when we enter the polls and it would curb cheating because people could not vote more than once and people could not use someone else's name and cast a ballot. One guy proved how easy that was by walking into a Chicago polling place and was handed Rahm Emanuel's ballot just because he told them it was his name. No one asks questions or checks ID. And good luck trying to prove it after the fact.

Yes, there is a lot of cheating and no way to catch people who vote using the wrong names. That is where the massive cheating is, but some wish to believe that only the handful who are stupid enough to vote more than once under their own name is the only cheating. Get real.

Of course, the left has done a bang up job of trying to convince black people that voter IDs are going to disenfranchise them and in order to believe that, everyone has to see blacks as less intelligent than others. It's amazing that more blacks weren't highly insulted at the suggestion that they couldn't meet such a simple requirement. Does the left really believe that they are helpless little idiots? I hope not. It's all just lies and twisting facts. I guess if you can't win by using honest debate, you sink pretty low and try to scam your way to a win.

A lot of what you said is pure bullshit. Voter ID will be the rule in the near future and when it is mandatory law you losers will then complain about voter ID fraud after you still got your r-wing extremist butts kicked at the voters booth by the Democrats.

Of course you losers will then insist that we all bring our birth certificates along with picture ID's.

Dig down deep.
One person, one vote.
It's as simple as that.

Voter ID Has Not Stopped Fraud

Voter ID does not, cannot, and will not, stop the kind of fraud which occurs.

Voter ID serves no other purpose than to suppress the votes of low income people.

The GOP has branded itself as the party of voter suppression.

It's as simple as that.

Last edited:
It shouldn't be about benefitting one political party or another. It makes complete sense that to vote you must have an identification card to prove citizenship, due to the fact that you must be a citizen to vote.

Powell, like most intelligent people, realizes that blacks can see that Voter ID was a transparent attempt to suppress the votes of low income people, many of whom are black, and most of whom vote Democratic.

Just like the GOP's attempts to shorten early voting times. The GOP knows the higher the voter turnout, the smaller the GOP's chances in an election.

The GOP is branding itself as the party of voter suppression. They are regressing more and more toward their Dixiecrat forebears every day. And this will backfire.

They will soon insist that we all need to bring our birth certificates along with voter id cards and photo drivers license in order to vote.

Last edited:
It shouldn't be about benefitting one political party or another. It makes complete sense that to vote you must have an identification card to prove citizenship, due to the fact that you must be a citizen to vote.

That is taken care of during the registration process. Haven't you ever registered to vote?

Look at it this way:

Let's say we fixed the current system, without adding Voter ID. We fixed the voter registration process to ensure only eligible US citizens were registered to vote. And we ensured that when someone dies or moves, their name is removed from the voter registration rolls.

So there I am, at the voting booth on Election Day.

What kind of fraud can I commit without an ID?

Look at it this way:

Let's say we fixed the current system, without adding Voter ID. We fixed the voter registration process to ensure only eligible US citizens were registered to vote. And we ensured that when someone dies or moves, their name is removed from the voter registration rolls.

Why is it folks like you enjoy 'grey areas'? Like diversion that much?

Look at it this way:

Why is it folks like you enjoy 'grey areas'? Like diversion that much?

There is no gray area. Voter ID will not stop the kind of fraud which occurs. It will not fix what is broken.

So answer the question. If we actually fixed what is actually broken in the existing system, what kind of fraud could you commit without an ID?

I hope to Christ you people don't call yourselves conservatives. Because it is liberals who think the answer to improperly managed government regulations is more government regulations which will do nothing to solve the problem.

Voter ID won't fix what is broken, and it does not, cannot, and will not stop the kind of fraud which occurs.

So it obviously has an entirely different motive(s) behind it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back