President Trump selects school choice advocate Betsy DeVos of Michigan for Education Secretary

The disaster called common core needs to go. ASAP

And replaced with what?

Avoid standardized testing, stop teaching to the test, get back to the basics, the 3 R's, keep the political BS and coddling out of schools. A great start would be getting rid of the teacher's unions, just bad news and makes it difficult to get rid of teachers that shouldn't be teaching

And replaced with what?

Here are 4 easy ones that used to work and didn't cost taxpayers a dime..........

Four Things That Can Replace Common Core That Have Nothing to Do With Government

Perfect line in that article, the left thinks a curriculum should be one size fits all, children can't be treated that way, one child may learn at a different pace than another. Another great observation is progressives are obsessed with results, hence teaching to the test and it doesn't work. It's been proven over and over again it doesn't work

And replaced with what?

Here are 4 easy ones that used to work and didn't cost taxpayers a dime..........

Four Things That Can Replace Common Core That Have Nothing to Do With Government

Perfect line in that article, the left thinks a curriculum should be one size fits all, children can't be treated that way, one child may learn at a different pace than another. Another great observation is progressives are obsessed with results, hence teaching to the test and it doesn't work. It's been proven over and over again it doesn't work

And a third great line. "THE GOVERNMENT CAN NEVER SUBSTITUTE FOR THE FAMILY."

And replaced with what?

Avoid standardized testing, stop teaching to the test, get back to the basics, the 3 R's, keep the political BS and coddling out of schools. A great start would be getting rid of the teacher's unions, just bad news and makes it difficult to get rid of teachers that shouldn't be teaching

Is coddling a part of common code? Lol.

Common core is no different than what most countries in the world are doing. In the UK ( which has a better education system than our) has a curriculum very similar to common core. The students do extremely well on standardized testing in math and English.

I don't care if they get rid of common core but there should be a replacement for it. We can't go back to states deciding school standards.

And replaced with what?

And a third great line. "THE GOVERNMENT CAN NEVER SUBSTITUTE FOR THE FAMILY."

Exactly why the left and schools is a recipe for disaster

And replaced with what?

Common core is no different than what most countries in the world are doing. In the UK ( which has a better education system than our) has a curriculum very similar to common core. The students do extremely well on standardized testing in math and English.

I don't care if they get rid of common core but there should be a replacement for it. We can't go back to states deciding school standards.

There are many curriculums out there, look at schools where students are excelling...start with the private schools. They blow away public educated students in every arena. Common Core is a disaster

And replaced with what?

Actually many progressives prefer Montessori education that allows kids to learn at their own pace.

And replaced with what?

There are many curriculums out there, look at schools where students are excelling...start with the private schools. They blow away public educated students in every arena. Common Core is a disaster

I've taught common core, PYP , IPC and the British national curriculum. Common is core in actually in line with international standards. A lot of American parents complain about the mathematical methods used but those methods have been implemented in top performing countries for years.

Like I said common core can go but the standards still need to be there. The issue isn't necessarily the common core but the issue is lack of training for teachers, schools giving raises based to test scores which drives many teachers to just teach the test and lack of funding and resources in many inner city districts.

Low Energy Jeb praised her as a great pick?!

that does it! Crooked Betsy will be the first secretary to hear the words:

"YOU'RE FIRED!"

And replaced with what?

Actually many progressives prefer Montessori education that a

And replaced with what?

I've taught common core, PYP , IPC and the British national curriculum. Common is core in actually in line with international standards. A lot of American parents complain about the mathematical methods used but those methods have been implemented in top performing countries for years.

Like I said common core can go but the standards still need to be there. The issue isn't necessarily the common core but the issue is lack of training for teachers, schools giving raises based to test scores which drives many teachers to just teach the test and lack of funding and resources in many inner city districts.

Private schools are not bound by many standards and teach the curriculum in the school charter. They are required to teach the basic education requirements set by the US Dept of Education, abide by record keeping, employee conduct, transportation, food handling, etc. One glaring difference is public schools are generally required to teach evolution only in science classes private schools can teach both evolution and creationism which our children's schools do. Private schools are free to teach the curriculum they feel is best for the student as long as they meet the basic education standards set by the Dept of Ed

And replaced with what?

And replaced with what?

Private schools are not bound by many standards and teach the curriculum in the school charter. They are required to teach the basic education requirements set by the US Dept of Education, abide by record keeping, employee conduct, transportation, food handling, etc. One glaring difference is public schools are generally required to teach evolution only in science classes private schools can teach both evolution and creationism which our children's schools do. Private schools are free to teach the curriculum they feel is best for the student as long as they meet the basic education standards set by the Dept of Ed

Evolution is scientific and creationism is not. Creationism can be taught in religion class but it definitely doesn't belong in a science class. Religious schools can teach creationism but a pubic school definitely shouldn't be teaching it.

Private schools teaching what they want is an issue. Sometimes it works out great but sometimes private schools produce poor performing students who really struggle when they go off to college or transfer schools. I've gone to private schools my whole life and its been great so I do think private schools can be good. But as a teacher I've worked in some crappy private schools that I wouldn't send my cat to.

People excel all the time who've attended public school. Most of them had a strong family structure, that Gov't cannot make up for.
Nix the Dept. of Education.

And replaced with what?

Evolution is scientific and creationism is not. Creationism can be taught in religion class but it definitely doesn't belong in a science class. Religious schools can teach creationism but a pubic school definitely shouldn't be teaching it.

Private schools teaching what they want is an issue. Sometimes it works out great but sometimes private schools produce poor performing students who really struggle when they go off to college or transfer schools. I've gone to private schools my whole life and its been great so I do think private schools can be good. But as a teacher I've worked in some crappy private schools that I wouldn't send my cat to.

Well surprise many schools teach creationism....and I for one applaud it. You want to send yours to public schools that's your choice, we'll send ours to private and they will come out better educated, better prepared for college and better prepared for life. You're spewing nonsense, time after time after time private school educated students outperform public educated and home schooled students are gaining fast. I'm on our oldest children's school's board, I see the data

Any benefits of the Head Start Program diminished by the time a child entered the 1st grade. Enuff said.....

Does Head Start Work? Two Perspectives based on Psychology | Developmental Psychology at Vanderbilt

The greatest thing a parent can do is love their child, provide a safe and happy home life and read to them at an early age, never stop reading to them.

Sooo true. My dad was in the Air Force before I learned how to read and he would be gone on flights for a week at a time. But when he was home, he used to read me asleep from abridged classics like 'Treasure Island', 'Don Quixote', etc.. He made the time! And, by the time I was age 7, I was devouring age suitable books like the 'Hardy Boys' and by age 9 could pretty much read whatever interested me.

Any benefits of the Head Start Program diminished by the time a child entered the 1st grade. Enuff said.....

Does Head Start Work? Two Perspectives based on Psychology | Developmental Psychology at Vanderbilt

The greatest thing a parent can do is love their child, provide a safe and happy home life and read to them at an early age, never stop reading to them.

Sooo true. My dad was in the Air Force before I learned how to read and he would be gone on flights for a week at a time. But when he was home, he used to read me asleep from abridged classics like 'Treasure Island', 'Don Quixote', etc.. He made the time! And, by the time I was age 7, I was devouring age suitable books like the 'Hardy Boys' and by age 9 could pretty much read whatever interested me.

I started reading to ours before they learned to crawl...today all of them are readers. Regulars at the library each week.

You were a lucky lad to have your dad.

Cliff Notes version of Betsy Devos choice: the NEA is against it, so she must be alright.

Forum List

Back