Question about Noah.

We were speaking about a flood, not an ark. As far as wooden ships, many have been built. Columbus sailed on three. The Vikings used them extensively. That link is a sieve it's so full of holes.
What flood? There is no evidence of a global flood per the Ark take.

I don't recall the Vikings ever claiming to have gathered two of every kind of animal on a pleasure cruise.

What holes in the link? Be specific.

Otherwise, please address the anomaly of cultures and civilizations existing at the time of your Ark tales that have no record of any global flood.

I have already addressed the cultures who have flood tales and so has Postmodern. addressed them. No one said anything about the Vikings having animals on board. Your article made a wild uneducated and totally asinine claim that wood was not a good product for boat building when most of the world was explored and settle by people sailing wooden boats. When I see something totally stupid like that, I dismiss the whole thesis.
Other cultures gave flood tales.

Here's another opportunity not to sidestep the problem of other cultures having no record of a global flood that coincided with the biblical Ark tale.

Why did the Egyptians not record a global flood?

I think missed the part of the article I linked that identified the absurdity of a wooden boat as described in the Ark tale. From the link:

"..... Wood is simply not strong enough to prevent separation between the joints, especially in the heavy seas that the Ark would have encountered. The longest wooden ships in modern seas are about 300 feet, and these require reinforcing with iron straps and leak so badly they must be constantly pumped. The ark was 450 feet long [ Gen. 6:15]. Could an ark that size be made seaworthy?

I gave you many examples of cultures that spoke of a global flood. I don't know why the Egyptians either did or didn't. The point is that many did.

As far a wooden ship taking heavy seas, even Columbus rode out a hurricane losing the Pinta. Of course wooden ships can take heavy seas. Who knows really whether the ark utilized any metal or not. Tubal Cain was a worker in brass and other metals. There was certainly some knowledge of working with metals long before Noah built the ark.

We have no factual data that Noah built an Ark.

Other than biblical tales and fables, what evidence is there of Noah's Ark?

From my linked article:

How was the fossil record sorted in an order convenient for evolution? Ecological zonation, hydrodynamic sorting, and differential escape fail to explain:

• the extremely good sorting observed. Why didn't at least one dinosaur make it to the high ground with the elephants?
  • the relative positions of plants and other non-motile life. (Yun, 1989, describes beautifully preserved algae from Late Precambrian sediments. Why don't any modern-looking plants appear that low in the geological column?)
  • why some groups of organisms, such as mollusks, are found in many geologic strata.
  • why organisms (such as brachiopods) which are very similar hydrodynamically (all nearly the same size, shape, and weight) are still perfectly sorted.
  • why extinct animals which lived in the same niches as present animals didn't survive as well. Why did no pterodons make it to high ground?
  • how coral reefs hundreds of feet thick and miles long were preserved intact with other fossils below them.
  • why small organisms dominate the lower strata, whereas fluid mechanics says they would sink slower and thus end up in upper strata.
  • why artifacts such as footprints and burrows are also sorted. [Crimes & Droser, 1992]
  • why no human artifacts are found except in the very uppermost strata. If, at the time of the Flood, the earth was overpopulated by people with technology for shipbuilding, why were none of their tools or buildings mixed with trilobite or dinosaur fossils?
  • why different parts of the same organisms are sorted together. Pollen and spores are found in association with the trunks, leaves, branches, and roots produced by the same plants [Stewart, 1983].
  • why ecological information is consistent within but not between layers. Fossil pollen is one of the more important indicators of different levels of strata. Each plant has different and distinct pollen, and, by telling which plants produced the fossil pollen, it is easy to see what the climate was like in different strata. Was the pollen hydraulically sorted by the flood water so that the climatic evidence is different for each layer?

A lot of what you post here and assume to be from this earth age were clearly from the first earth age. There is ONE world. We are living in the second earth age, some say the third for they count the time from the Bible's creation week to Noah as a second earth age and the time from Noah to now as a third earth age. It makes little difference. I simply count two with the Bible's creation week being the same one as this one in which we live because not everyone was destroyed, Noah and his family (8) crossed over. This present earth age is some 6,000 years in existence. The previous earth age, when the earth was originally created was according to science, some 4.5 billion years ago. I say it was even before that.

Who cares about pollen? Your own DNA carries a digital signature that is so complicated and so unique that it had to be of intelligent design.

Last edited:
We were speaking about a flood, not an ark. As far as wooden ships, many have been built. Columbus sailed on three. The Vikings used them extensively. That link is a sieve it's so full of holes.

I don't recall the Vikings ever claiming to have gathered two of every kind of animal on a pleasure cruise.

Otherwise, please address the anomaly of cultures and civilizations existing at the time of your Ark tales that have no record of any global flood.

I have already addressed the cultures who have flood tales and so has Postmodern. addressed them. No one said anything about the Vikings having animals on board. Your article made a wild uneducated and totally asinine claim that wood was not a good product for boat building when most of the world was explored and settle by people sailing wooden boats. When I see something totally stupid like that, I dismiss the whole thesis.

Here's another opportunity not to sidestep the problem of other cultures having no record of a global flood that coincided with the biblical Ark tale.

I think missed the part of the article I linked that identified the absurdity of a wooden boat as described in the Ark tale. From the link:

"..... Wood is simply not strong enough to prevent separation between the joints, especially in the heavy seas that the Ark would have encountered. The longest wooden ships in modern seas are about 300 feet, and these require reinforcing with iron straps and leak so badly they must be constantly pumped. The ark was 450 feet long [ Gen. 6:15]. Could an ark that size be made seaworthy?

I gave you many examples of cultures that spoke of a global flood. I don't know why the Egyptians either did or didn't. The point is that many did.

As far a wooden ship taking heavy seas, even Columbus rode out a hurricane losing the Pinta. Of course wooden ships can take heavy seas. Who knows really whether the ark utilized any metal or not. Tubal Cain was a worker in brass and other metals. There was certainly some knowledge of working with metals long before Noah built the ark.

Another sidestep.

Why did the Egyptians, and the Maya never have a record of the biblical flood?

Holly, I really don't care why they didn't. Many others did. Remember the Epic of Gilgamesh? That one is well documented. That came from the Mesopotamia Valley and follows the Biblical account amazingly close.

Another sidestep.

Holly, I really don't care why they didn't. Many others did. Remember the Epic of Gilgamesh? That one is well documented. That came from the Mesopotamia Valley and follows the Biblical account amazingly close.

You don't care why the Egyptians, and the Maya never had a record of the biblical flood? That's remarkable. How is it that there is archeological data from many civilizations that somehow survived a global flood? How do you reconcile that?

We have no factual data that Noah built an Ark.

Other than biblical tales and fables, what evidence is there of Noah's Ark?

From my linked article:

How was the fossil record sorted in an order convenient for evolution? Ecological zonation, hydrodynamic sorting, and differential escape fail to explain:

• the extremely good sorting observed. Why didn't at least one dinosaur make it to the high ground with the elephants?
  • the relative positions of plants and other non-motile life. (Yun, 1989, describes beautifully preserved algae from Late Precambrian sediments. Why don't any modern-looking plants appear that low in the geological column?)
  • why some groups of organisms, such as mollusks, are found in many geologic strata.
  • why organisms (such as brachiopods) which are very similar hydrodynamically (all nearly the same size, shape, and weight) are still perfectly sorted.
  • why extinct animals which lived in the same niches as present animals didn't survive as well. Why did no pterodons make it to high ground?
  • how coral reefs hundreds of feet thick and miles long were preserved intact with other fossils below them.
  • why small organisms dominate the lower strata, whereas fluid mechanics says they would sink slower and thus end up in upper strata.
  • why artifacts such as footprints and burrows are also sorted. [Crimes & Droser, 1992]
  • why no human artifacts are found except in the very uppermost strata. If, at the time of the Flood, the earth was overpopulated by people with technology for shipbuilding, why were none of their tools or buildings mixed with trilobite or dinosaur fossils?
  • why different parts of the same organisms are sorted together. Pollen and spores are found in association with the trunks, leaves, branches, and roots produced by the same plants [Stewart, 1983].
  • why ecological information is consistent within but not between layers. Fossil pollen is one of the more important indicators of different levels of strata. Each plant has different and distinct pollen, and, by telling which plants produced the fossil pollen, it is easy to see what the climate was like in different strata. Was the pollen hydraulically sorted by the flood water so that the climatic evidence is different for each layer?

A lot of what you post here and assume to be from this earth age were clearly from the first earth age. There is ONE world. We are living in the second earth age, some say the third for they count the time from the Bible's creation week to Noah as a second earth age and the time from Noah to now as a third earth age. It makes little difference. I simply count two with the Bible's creation week being the same one as this one in which we live because not everyone was destroyed, Noah and his family (8) crossed over. This present earth age is some 6,000 years in existence. The previous earth age, when the earth was originally created was according to science, some 4.5 billion years ago. I say it was even before that.

Who cares about pollen? Your own DNA carries a digital signature that is so complicated and so unique that it had to be of intelligent design.

Where did you get this conception of multiple earth ages?

Similarly, where did you get the conception that DNA is so complicated it had to be of "intelligent design". That's boilerplate christan fundamentalism and Is totally unsupported.

Another sidestep.

You don't care why the Egyptians, and the Maya never had a record of the biblical flood? That's remarkable. How is it that there is archeological data from many civilizations that somehow survived a global flood? How do you reconcile that?

Do the Philadelphians have a flood story? How about New Yorkers? No, I have stated before, I really don't care.

Another sidestep.

Do the Philadelphians have a flood story? How about New Yorkers? No, I have stated before, I really don't care.
That makes no sense.

I can understand that you don't care because to actually address the contradiction would be devastating to the biblical tales. It's just a fact that a great many cultures existed at the time of the biblical flood and they managed, somehow, to have survived that event.

Doesn't accuracy and integrity cause you any concern regarding some grossly contradictory recordings of history?

Another sidestep.

They don't
They just believe

Even when it is obvious that the story is heavily symbolic.

The plate that Mt Everest sits on was once at the bottom of an ocean, but the plate with India on it crashed into that plate, pushing it into mountains.
Your Grand canyon story is not supported by archeological fact.
Where did all the water drain to?
When do YOU date the flood to?

What ocean? Give me some argument. I have no argument that at the time of the flood Everest wasn't nearly as high as it is now. I totally agree. Even though it was not as high it still had a top to it. That same top has only gotten pushed upward. Show me something that says Everest was once at the bottom of some ocean and please name that ocean.

If the earth had a flat surface now with the depths of the ocean being only a few feet deep, then the water in the oceans would cover the earth. That is a scientific fact.

My Grand Canyon story is supported not only by fact but by common sense. That river never flowed uphill.

Actually, the Bible somewhat supports the idea that this earth has endured two global floods in its history.
What "facts" support your Grand Canyon theory?

Why don't you simply read the post? Ever hear of common sense? Some folks have it. Do rivers flow uphill? Does slow erosion produce sharp cliffs? Where is the Colorado River delta? These are common sense items that must be answered.

Show me your argument. I've shown you mine.
Show us links to real scientist who believe this.

Dispute what I've posted first. I'm not here to do your bidding.
I can't dispute made up shit. Post a link to a real source so we know that this isn't just one of your fantasies, and so I'll have something to dispute.

How strange. An event that allegedly involved your serial mass murderer gawds wiping all of humanity from the planet except for Noah and his immediate family, yet no one marked their desktop calendar.
Why Does Nearly Every Culture Have a Tradition of a Global Flood
The ICR? Tell me you're not serious about those charlatans. Even if you are, lie to me and tell you're not.

Flood stories deriving from the end of the last Ice Age would account for the rakes and fables.

Still unaddressed is how cultures that existed at the time of the biblical flood tale survived the alleged flood without any mention of such an event.

How strange. An event that allegedly involved your serial mass murderer gawds wiping all of humanity from the planet except for Noah and his immediate family, yet no one marked their desktop calendar.
Why Does Nearly Every Culture Have a Tradition of a Global Flood
The ICR? Tell me you're not serious about those charlatans. Even if you are, lie to me and tell you're not.

Flood stories deriving from the end of the last Ice Age would account for the rakes and fables.

Still unaddressed is how cultures that existed at the time of the biblical flood tale survived the alleged flood without any mention of such an event.

Isn't it frustrating that in the 21st century we still have to fight this battle with fundamentalist believers in ancient myth and fable? And no we can't just ignore them because they want to codify their biblical "morality" in the laws of the land. Abortion disturbs us all but they want to make it criminal because a "soul" enters the diploid cell at fertilization. Same reason to outlaw stem cell research. They want laws on the books controlling sexual behavior because of some ancient scribe's notion of propriety. Same for marriage laws. They want to teach a creation myth along side, or instead of real science. The list of why we have to keep fighting this battle goes on and on even though such childish ideas should have been put aside by the human race, oh say at least around the time of Galileo Galilei in the 16th century. It's so frustrating.

The plate that Mt Everest sits on was once at the bottom of an ocean, but the plate with India on it crashed into that plate, pushing it into mountains.
Your Grand canyon story is not supported by archeological fact.
Where did all the water drain to?
When do YOU date the flood to?

What ocean? Give me some argument. I have no argument that at the time of the flood Everest wasn't nearly as high as it is now. I totally agree. Even though it was not as high it still had a top to it. That same top has only gotten pushed upward. Show me something that says Everest was once at the bottom of some ocean and please name that ocean.

If the earth had a flat surface now with the depths of the ocean being only a few feet deep, then the water in the oceans would cover the earth. That is a scientific fact.

My Grand Canyon story is supported not only by fact but by common sense. That river never flowed uphill.

Actually, the Bible somewhat supports the idea that this earth has endured two global floods in its history.

Why don't you simply read the post? Ever hear of common sense? Some folks have it. Do rivers flow uphill? Does slow erosion produce sharp cliffs? Where is the Colorado River delta? These are common sense items that must be answered.

You claimed "facts" supported your Grand Canyon theory. I still see no facts being presented.

I showed you my argument. It's up to you to dispute my argument.
you realize you're talking to Hollie, right?.....

Another sidestep.

????.....The Egyptian creation myth is said to have its beginning when the people watched the dark waters of the Nile flood the land. - See more at: The Egyptian Creation Myth The Birth Of The Earth

Flood
  • These new humans did not last long. Because they did not have souls or minds, they did not praise Heart of Sky as had been hoped. Also, humanity quickly forgot the source of their creation. The creator was angered by this and sent floods to destroy what they believed to be another failed attempt at creating the race of men.
Similarity to Other Myths
  • The Mayan flood myth is very similar to other flood myths. Many cultures tell of the gods' unhappiness with their first attempt at creating humanity and the destruction of all but a few of the new creations by a world wide flood.

Read more : Mayan Indian Flood Myth eHow

[ It's just a fact that a great many cultures existed at the time of the biblical flood and they managed, somehow, to have survived that event.
the cultures didn't exist at the time of the flood.....the peoples that formed those cultures descended from those who survived the event......

You claimed "facts" supported your Grand Canyon theory. I still see no facts being presented.

I showed you my argument. It's up to you to dispute my argument.
you realize you're talking to Hollie, right?.....

You realize that you're ill-equipped, right?

I addressed that 3 weeks ago.

Cultures that existed at the time of the biblical flood tale survived because the flood was a large but regional event. Those cultures were never threatened in the first place for you to need to wonder how they survived.

Even the link I gave said that 83% of all versions of the flood story say it was regional. That's why I picked that source, because if they're going to be biased in any direction they're going to be biased in favor of a global flood, but even they say it was regional.

[ It's just a fact that a great many cultures existed at the time of the biblical flood and they managed, somehow, to have survived that event.
the cultures didn't exist at the time of the flood.....the peoples that formed those cultures descended from those who survived the event......
Nonsense. Many cultures existed at the time of the Noah tale. Why is it so difficult for you to be honest and admit that you simply have no explanation for why those cultures have no record of the silly biblical flood.

There were a number of existing cultures at the time of Noah's cruise. They were: the Minoan, Mesopotamia, the area around what is now Israel, the Indus Valley, China and Egypt. Archaeological data such as ruins of cities, pottery, tools, weapons, skeletal remains and other artifacts of civilization such as books and written records leave no doubt as to the existence of those cultures. Those cultures existed and continued to exist after the biblical flood tale.

So what's your best conspiracy theory to explain that away?

Isn't it frustrating that in the 21st century we still have to fight this battle with fundamentalist believers in ancient myth and fable? And no we can't just ignore them because they want to codify their biblical "morality" in the laws of the land. Abortion disturbs us all but they want to make it criminal because a "soul" enters the diploid cell at fertilization. Same reason to outlaw stem cell research. They want laws on the books controlling sexual behavior because of some ancient scribe's notion of propriety. Same for marriage laws. They want to teach a creation myth along side, or instead of real science. The list of why we have to keep fighting this battle goes on and on even though such childish ideas should have been put aside by the human race, oh say at least around the time of Galileo Galilei in the 16th century. It's so frustrating.
Those battles aren't fought, won or lost on discussion forums.

I addressed that 3 weeks ago.

Cultures that existed at the time of the biblical flood tale survived because the flood was a large but regional event. Those cultures were never threatened in the first place for you to need to wonder how they survived.

Even the link I gave said that 83% of all versions of the flood story say it was regional. That's why I picked that source, because if they're going to be biased in any direction they're going to be biased in favor of a global flood, but even they say it was regional.
So there was no global flood as identified in the bibles. I'm not sure where you got your "83%" number, but the bibles don't identify any regional flood.

Forum List

Back