Question for Trump supporters: Would this be okay with you?

From what I'm hearing, the GOP establishment is trying to downplay the possibility of a brokered convention. Surely they know it would cause a huge revolt within their own party. And regardless, there's nothing they can do if he gets the required votes.

Also, Trump's supporters have made it pretty clear that they've had it with the GOP and really don't care what it thinks about Trump. Okay.

So here's my question: Would you mind if the "establishment" ran and backed a more moderate Republican, like a Romney or a Ryan or a Rubio, and ran them third party?
The three 'R's would all turn their backs on the Republican voters.....so they would be just hanging themselves. It would assure Hillary won and cause their base to turn on them like they turned on Chris Christy.

I think everyone is jumping the gun here. As you see, Trump has problems in closed primaries, just as most pundits predicted.

I believe Trump is going to take Florida because I have been here checking for 3 2 and 1/2 months. But, if Rubio drops afterwards, Cruz will get the sufficient delegates to win out right as long as most of the remaining primaries are closed.

I believe seeing Trump win open primaries proves beyond reasonable doubt, that blue collar Democrats and Independents are driving his support if most of the rest are closed, Trump will not even perform as well as yesterday, as most support of Rubio goes Cruz.

I think you have a point. The media would rather stab themselves in the eye with their own pens than report on Cruz in any favorable way, but what they aren't telling people is how many Republicans like him. Even when they're favoring other first choices, for whatever reason, he's their second choice.

Take away the possibility of crossover non-party votes for Trump and factor in either the removal of Rubio or a loss of momentum for him, and Cruz emerges with a really strong chance of winning and steering the staggering, gasping GOP away from the dangers of a brokered convention.

the massive hate is because Trump has all the money he needs, he isn't under their control, he is a very big and very loose cannon. Trump eliminates the K-street middle-men and takes the wheel himself instead of the usual "bribe me" game.

No, the massive hate is because he's an odious little troll of a con artist.

If they did that wouldn't that be like saying there is no Republican party? and voters really do not count?
They're shitting bricks. It's beginning to look like they'd rather lose the general than back Trump. So outside of just bending over and taking it, this would be their only option.

I don't get it. Trump is saying exactly the same things that right wingers have been saying for years. I would think they should love having Trump for the nominee.

Point of order: Trump is kicking ass.

Two points of order:

1) Just because someone lucks into a couple of agreeing opinions - today, at least; with Trump, his position tomorrow could be completely different - doesn't make them any less of a distasteful embarrassment.

2) He's kicking a lot less ass than you think he is. Like all of his other "successes" and "winning", there's a healthy dose of hype and propaganda there.

I'm confused. I seem to remember a few years ago when Arizona passed their own immigration procedures and DumBama took it to court and had it stopped. I must have missed something from then until now, but I do remember the results when it was first passed. It was astounding.

That's why my idea is to have a new federal law that anybody here caught illegally will face a minimum five year prison sentence. No walls.......no extra border security.....just a law that will chase most of them out of the country. One law would save us billions and billions of dollars, but you know how liberals would view a pragmatic solution.
That's why we need the wall. Once it's built, it's there to stay and it will be effective. Without it, we can keep expecting some fucked up liberal out to build their base with foreigners to stop prosecuting them and freeing the ones who are already incarcerated. We need that wall and Trump is the only one willing to build it.

I've been saying that for years. The open-borders scumbags can't unbuild the wall once it's built. They can decide not to man it, but that will be an obvious attempt to open the flood gates to illegal immigration.

If they did that wouldn't that be like saying there is no Republican party? and voters really do not count?
They're shitting bricks. It's beginning to look like they'd rather lose the general than back Trump. So outside of just bending over and taking it, this would be their only option.

yep, that is the scenario being pushed by the Mrs. Clinton backers. What the hell it is not like primaries have not been contentious before.
I don't remember the previous candidate of major party deploring people not to vote for the front-runner, or several national members of a party publicly distancing themselves from that same candidate.

Of course, I don't recall a major candidate talking about his dick during a debate before, either.

No, in my opinion what people who keep saying this crap want is for the RNC to torpedo Trump. I seriously do not see why anyone who thinks Mrs. Clinton is clearly the best give a crap about Trump or the RNC. What is unique is the attack. Trump is clearly the front runner and clearly an outsider and folks just are not used to both. So they must try and destroy Trump to maintain the same old same old.

i realize you think that the RNC should destroy Trump, but that is not going to happen.

As for the RNC, try reading what THEY have to say:

Republican leaders’ silence on Trump is inexcusable — and irrational

Resize Text
ON SUNDAY, ABC’s George Stephanopoulos asked Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus whether the party would back Donald Trump should he win the GOP nomination. “Yes, we will support the nominee,” the Republican chairman replied. “To me, it’s a no-brainer.” Mr. Stephanopoulos asked if a Trump nomination would split the party. “Winning is the antidote to a lot of things,” Mr. Priebus responded.
I really don't think it's his "outsider" status.

I think it's his behavior.

They really don't get that. Trump is like your least favorite uncle, who never EVER gets invited over except for really big, official family reunions, because every time he does, he gets shitfaced drunk, starts shooting off his mouth, and has to be driven home by whichever cousin drew the short straw that year.

I respect all believes. My opinion however is that Bernie sanders is the best candidate. I even wrote a song about it! Check it out!

yep, that is the scenario being pushed by the Mrs. Clinton backers. What the hell it is not like primaries have not been contentious before.
I don't remember the previous candidate of major party deploring people not to vote for the front-runner, or several national members of a party publicly distancing themselves from that same candidate.

Of course, I don't recall a major candidate talking about his dick during a debate before, either.

No, in my opinion what people who keep saying this crap want is for the RNC to torpedo Trump. I seriously do not see why anyone who thinks Mrs. Clinton is clearly the best give a crap about Trump or the RNC. What is unique is the attack. Trump is clearly the front runner and clearly an outsider and folks just are not used to both. So they must try and destroy Trump to maintain the same old same old.

i realize you think that the RNC should destroy Trump, but that is not going to happen.

Resize Text
ON SUNDAY, ABC’s George Stephanopoulos asked Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus whether the party would back Donald Trump should he win the GOP nomination. “Yes, we will support the nominee,” the Republican chairman replied. “To me, it’s a no-brainer.” Mr. Stephanopoulos asked if a Trump nomination would split the party. “Winning is the antidote to a lot of things,” Mr. Priebus responded.

He is not real polished, or just speaks his mind, and what everyone is really thinking but are too PC to say so. Considering the majority of your posts have dealt with being PC one would think that someone so non-PC would inspire you. Or maybe that is the problem, you think he should be more PC and all your post bitchin' about being PC were BS.

Kinda funny, that something Rubio brought up about Trump and Rubio is forgotten.

"Not real polished"? He's white trash with money. And no, he's not "saying what everyone is really thinking". Maybe he's saying what YOU are thinking, but that's you. Don't project.

Really, he's saying what will get him headlines and free publicity.

Learn the difference between "politically incorrect" and "trailer park".

Resize Text

He is not real polished, or just speaks his mind, and what everyone is really thinking but are too PC to say so. Considering the majority of your posts have dealt with being PC one would think that someone so non-PC would inspire you. Or maybe that is the problem, you think he should be more PC and all your post bitchin' about being PC were BS.

Kinda funny, that something Rubio brought up about Trump and Rubio is forgotten.
Bingo!

They're shitting bricks. It's beginning to look like they'd rather lose the general than back Trump. So outside of just bending over and taking it, this would be their only option..
They would destroy the Republican party if they did that. The rank and file would all join a new party that didn't include the establishment.
From what I'm hearing, the GOP establishment is trying to downplay the possibility of a brokered convention. Surely they know it would cause a huge revolt within their own party. And regardless, there's nothing they can do if he gets the required votes.

Also, Trump's supporters have made it pretty clear that they've had it with the GOP and really don't care what it thinks about Trump. Okay.

So here's my question: Would you mind if the "establishment" ran and backed a more moderate Republican, like a Romney or a Ryan or a Rubio, and ran them third party?

The thing the establishment fears is stabbing Trump in the back and he goes to run as a third party.

They may not mind giving the election to Hillary just to keep Trump out, but they are not going to destroy the entire party to do it.

The Republican party is one that is on the verge of collapse between the establishment and the TP types. The establishment pretty much runs the show so they are doing what they can so that the TP doesn't actually break off and become their own party. That would insure Democrat leadership for the next few decades.

The RNC is desperate. They are dragging out their past losers like McCain and Romney to try and talk people out of voting for Trump. But I don't think it will go much further than that.
Yeah, they're in a no-win. I'd agree there would be more damage if they go too far, so (assuming he gets the delegates) I'd guess they would just do the minimum in terms of supporting Trump and they wouldn't protest to loudly when people like Romney have their say.

The Republican Party is staggering around on its last legs unless the voters somehow manage to choose a candidate more palatable than Trump. Their leadership has systematically managed to alienate every single person who might have been inclined to support them, other than diehard establishment fans.

For no reason I can fathom, they are still insisting on trying to manipulate things to give themselves THEIR ideal candidate, because they still don't get how hopeless that scenario is.
Well, the thing about Trump and this election cycle is that he could actually win. As utterly ridiculous and cartoonish as Trump is, Hillary is pretty flawed herself.

Either way, this election does give the loudest voices in the GOP a chance to do things their way. If Trump or Cruz or Trump/Cruz is not the ticket, then they'll keep saying that the only reason they lose presidential elections is because their candidate is not conservative enough.

So, great: They should do it their way and get it out of their system, seems to me.

Sadly, it doesn't. The people who've been legitimately fighting the establishment for years in the party are being drowned out by a bunch of Johnny-Come-Lately party crashers who just want a good spectacle, shouting everyone else down over their "anger", which is about a mile wide and an inch deep.

For real conservatives, winning with Trump is exactly the same as losing to Hillary. That's the reason behind the growing #NeverTrump movement: we figure if it comes down to that, we and the country have lost either way, so . . . When nothing you do matters, all that matters is what you do, y'know?

Well, the thing about Trump and this election cycle is that he could actually win. As utterly ridiculous and cartoonish as Trump is, Hillary is pretty flawed herself.

That's the thing. Hillary is a weak candidate and can be beaten. But she almost certainly won't be if Trump is the candidate.

From what I'm hearing, the GOP establishment is trying to downplay the possibility of a brokered convention. Surely they know it would cause a huge revolt within their own party. And regardless, there's nothing they can do if he gets the required votes..

There would be a contested convention if no candidate wins 1237 votes on the first ballot. After that, the only thing that matters is that a candidate wins 1237 votes on subsequent ballots. If Trump - or any candidate - doesn't win 1237 votes, then they shouldn't be the candidate, full stop. And if Trump wins 1237 votes - like any other candidate - he should be the nominee.
What I'm curious about, though, is what the establishment does then. Back a moderate Republican third party candidate, back Gary Johnson, provide minimal support to Trump or fully back him to save the House and Senate.

The problem with backing him to save the House and Senate is that they're concerned - rightly, I think - that Trump could do more harm than good to other candidates.

However, it's just not reasonable OR feasible for the PARTY to leave the party. That's ridiculous on the face of it. All they really can do is deny Trump any real support and backing, and surreptitiously throw support to Johnson or someone else, by having establishment personalities - speaking strictly as private individuals, of course - endorse him.
No, I agree. I'd think they'd want to put some effort into saving the House & Senate down-ticket from Trump's presence.

There would be a contested convention if no candidate wins 1237 votes on the first ballot. After that, the only thing that matters is that a candidate wins 1237 votes on subsequent ballots. If Trump - or any candidate - doesn't win 1237 votes, then they shouldn't be the candidate, full stop. And if Trump wins 1237 votes - like any other candidate - he should be the nominee.
Whoever has the most delegates should get the nomination. Anything else is thwarting the will of the people. That 1237 shit needs to be done away with.

There are 2472 delegates at the convention. 1237 is the majority of the delegates needed to win the nomination.

If any candidate gets at least 1237 delegates, he should be the nominee, including Trump. But if no candidate gets the majority of the candidates, no candidate is owed anything by anyone. It will be up to the delegates to vote however they wish after the first ballot.

If Trump ends up with 1199 and we end up with an Establishment pick, that might very well be within the rules.

Don't expect much support from the base, and all those record breaking turnouts? YOu can forget that too.

The delegates might want to consider that.
I think it's possible that (and this is just what I'm inferring from some of what I'm hearing) the more moderate/establishment sector of the party would literally rather lose than win with Trump.

That's not for sure, obviously, but with each statement like Romney's it's going to get more and more difficult for many to back Trump.

You're correct, as far as it goes.

What a lot of people are having trouble understanding is that this is a three-sided fight. You have the GOPe and the party leadership on one side of the triangle, Trump and his fanboys on the second, and the conservative base on the third. Both the leadership and the conservatives would rather stick needles under their fingernails than have Trump as the candidate, but we also hate each other so virulently that we have a visceral reluctance to join forces.
Yes, there are three pieces now: The traditional moderates, the Christian conservatives and the Trump nationalist/populists. The latter two now are showing zero indication that they're willing to give in to anyone on anything.

That's the thing. Hillary is a weak candidate and can be beaten. But she almost certainly won't be if Trump is the candidate.
This whole thing is so bizarre that I'm not sure either way.

I'd say he has a better chance than Cruz, for sure, and there's always Hillary's baggage. I dunno.

I don't get it. Trump is saying exactly the same things that right wingers have been saying for years. I would think they should love having Trump for the nominee.
He supports much of the status quo that cost the country a lot of money

Please elaborate
he supports forced use of ethanol even though it's been shown to be worse than just gas
He needs to know it does not work. Maybe he is just not informed on that fact yet.
it's hard to believe that his team wouldn't inform him

Please elaborate
he supports forced use of ethanol even though it's been shown to be worse than just gas
He needs to know it does not work. Maybe he is just not informed on that fact yet.

Scott Adams thinks he's going to win in a huge landslide. He has some pretty interesting arguments.

Please elaborate

OK. Is that the total difference?
If you want more information on how many of your policies trump supports, look it up yourself.

Please elaborate

Scott Adams thinks he's going to win in a huge landslide. He has some pretty interesting arguments.
Who?

And why should I care?

Resize Text

"Not real polished"? He's white trash with money. And no, he's not "saying what everyone is really thinking". Maybe he's saying what YOU are thinking, but that's you. Don't project.

Really, he's saying what will get him headlines and free publicity.

Learn the difference between "politically incorrect" and "trailer park".

Me thinks you protest too much. It would be really convincing what you say if you did not engage in the same type of behavior.

And when I said polished i meant not PC.

Please elaborate
Spread a lie long enough and plant the shit over it deep enough sometimes it takes a little longer to get to the lie covered over.

Whoever has the most delegates should get the nomination. Anything else is thwarting the will of the people. That 1237 shit needs to be done away with.

There are 2472 delegates at the convention. 1237 is the majority of the delegates needed to win the nomination.

If any candidate gets at least 1237 delegates, he should be the nominee, including Trump. But if no candidate gets the majority of the candidates, no candidate is owed anything by anyone. It will be up to the delegates to vote however they wish after the first ballot.

If Trump ends up with 1199 and we end up with an Establishment pick, that might very well be within the rules.

Don't expect much support from the base, and all those record breaking turnouts? YOu can forget that too.

The delegates might want to consider that.
I think it's possible that (and this is just what I'm inferring from some of what I'm hearing) the more moderate/establishment sector of the party would literally rather lose than win with Trump.

That's not for sure, obviously, but with each statement like Romney's it's going to get more and more difficult for many to back Trump.

You're correct, as far as it goes.

What a lot of people are having trouble understanding is that this is a three-sided fight. You have the GOPe and the party leadership on one side of the triangle, Trump and his fanboys on the second, and the conservative base on the third. Both the leadership and the conservatives would rather stick needles under their fingernails than have Trump as the candidate, but we also hate each other so virulently that we have a visceral reluctance to join forces.
Yes, there are three pieces now: The traditional moderates, the Christian conservatives and the Trump nationalist/populists. The latter two now are showing zero indication that they're willing to give in to anyone on anything.
Just two pieces: The Establishment, and Trump.

Forum List

Back