Race and the Juvenile Justice System

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
So which is it...a racial bias or individual behavior or both?

Background -- Race as a Factor in Juvenile Arrests

Some observers argue that the justice system is biased against minority offenders (the race-related selection bias perspective). With regard to juvenile justice, these observers often point to the fact that African American youth are more likely to be arrested than other youth. In 1997, for example, 44 percent of juvenile arrests for violent crimes involved African American youth, although African Americans represented only 15 percent of the national juvenile population at the time (Snyder, 1998). In 1997, minorities accounted for 67 percent of juveniles committed to public facilities nationwide—nearly twice their representation in the juvenile population (Snyder and Sickmund, 1999). In addition, national data show that minority juvenile offenders are more likely than white non-Hispanic offenders to be placed in public (rather than private) custodial facilities (Snyder and Sickmund, 1999).

Other observers argue that, although there are some exceptions, overall the justice system is fair and treats offenders similarly regardless of their race or ethnicity (Wilbanks, 1987). These observers usually note that, unfortunately, minority youth are committing most of the crime and are thus “doing most of the time.” They point to crime-generating conditions such as underemployment, poverty, lack of opportunity, family dysfunction, and other structural factors (see, for example, McCord, 1997; Pope, 1999). Snyder and Sickmund (1999) note that minority youth may be overrepresented within the juvenile justice system because of behavioral and legal factors (e.g., more extensive offense histories)—what can be called the behavioral-legal perspective.

Thus, one perspective focuses on the operation of juvenile justice systems while the other focuses on the behavior of individual juveniles who commit crime. Which perspective is correct? This is a difficult question to answer, and the truth may never be known with absolute certainty. There is research evidence to support both perspectives (see Lovell and Pope, 1991), and the answer may well be a combination of the two, depending on where and how the research is conducted.

It can't be poverty. Everyone with a brain knows that robbing liquor stores and gas stations, or other stupid crap blacks do to wind up behind bars, is a terrible way to make money. Spend a few hours robbing a gas station for $200, then 2 years behind bars, followed by a lifetime of disqualification from many employment opportunities. An absolutely TERRIBLE deal.

No, it's not underemployment, poverty, opportunity, or any of that other crap. It's genetics and genetic stupidity snowballs as you have stupid, criminal parents educating their already mentally challenged black kids. Just look at any black country out there: shitholes.

The answer to this is pretty much a combination of 4 things. Gangs and drugs being one. Gangs and their involvement in drugs and violence is predominantly something that is done by non-whites. The second is that Blacks on average coming from a poor background. Third has to do with the fact that it is a domino effect where the father is involved in crime and goes to jail leaving the juvenile without a proper father figure to keep them out of trouble, and thus they fall into the same pitfall of resorting to crime... and the final thing which was shown just recently, when a white juvenile commits a crime, so often the criminal justice system gives them more leeway because they feel they have a chance to change their ways and sending them to jail will stunt their future, which was shown by the kid from Ohio that raped a girl and got zero jail time because the judge thought he was actually a good kid that just screwed up.

It can't be poverty. Everyone with a brain knows that robbing liquor stores and gas stations, or other stupid crap blacks do to wind up behind bars, is a terrible way to make money. Spend a few hours robbing a gas station for $200, then 2 years behind bars, followed by a lifetime of disqualification from many employment opportunities. An absolutely TERRIBLE deal.

No, it's not underemployment, poverty, opportunity, or any of that other crap. It's genetics and genetic stupidity snowballs as you have stupid, criminal parents educating their already mentally challenged black kids. Just look at any black country out there: shitholes.

Should be easy to determine than IF it's poverty or the other factors mentioned. Because certainly -- the data exists for the income level of the juvie's family... And if you look at economic challenges as ONE variable -- I bet those gaps Coyote posted in the OP disappear pretty much...

You can't tell me that studies controlling all these variables haven't been done. I'm SURE they are out there.

Should be easy to determine than IF it's poverty or the other factors mentioned. Because certainly -- the data exists for the income level of the juvie's family... And if you look at economic challenges as ONE variable -- I bet those gaps Coyote posted in the OP disappear pretty much...

You can't tell me that studies controlling all these variables haven't been done. I'm SURE they are out there.

Yes there are studies out there, and poverty IS a factor.

What do you mean by "factor?" That there is a strong correlation?

That it is often a demographic of the offender and many times a cause for their actions. Poverty also causes class conflict.

That it is often a demographic of the offender and many times a cause for their actions. Poverty also causes class conflict.
How does robbing a liquor store for $300 and getting a 5-year prison term + lifetime disqualification from much employment help one out of poverty?

How does robbing a liquor store for $300 and getting a 5-year prison term + lifetime disqualification from much employment help one out of poverty?

There are no circumstances in which a person in their right mind would commit a crime knowing the consequences outweigh the profit. They are not looking at this with the idea of long term goals... It's a matter of what can I do to get by TODAY.

There are no circumstances in which a person in their right mind would commit a crime knowing the consequences outweigh the profit. They are not looking at this with the idea of long term goals... It's a matter of what can I do to get by TODAY.
That's the problem. They're too stupid to consider consequences. Unless by "get by today" you mean get jailed today and have 3 hots and a cot! Now that I think about it, it IS a long-term goal. Especially if the black guy murders someone and gets a life sentence.

So where are the APPLE TO APPLE numbers? Why aren't THEY more important to understanding these statistics?

That's the problem. They're too stupid to consider consequences. Unless by "get by today" you mean get jailed today and have 3 hots and a cot! Now that I think about it, it IS a long-term goal. Especially if the black guy murders someone and gets a life sentence.

It's not a matter of intelligence, but a matter of the environment in which they are raised, and the instinct of survival.

Progressive social policies have created the criminal culture that has replaced black culture.

Naawww, my stupid ass bro in law was white enough and dumb enough to BRAG to the police about his Weed grow operation.. Just went in yesterday for 11 more months. Stupidity ain't it...

So where are the APPLE TO APPLE numbers? Why aren't THEY more important to understanding these statistics?

I'm not sure what you want. The numbers don't lie. The majority of juveniles that are incarcerated come from low income families.

I'm not sure what you want. The numbers don't lie. The majority of juveniles that are incarcerated come from low income families.

Do the racial fractions come back to the expected percentages? Are any races Over/Under represented. I'll go fetch the numbers.

Do the racial fractions come back to the expected percentages? Are any races Over/Under represented. I'll go fetch the numbers.

No, Black Youth make up the majority of the incarcerated population despite being a smaller portion of the overall population. White youth are by far a lower portion of the incarcerated population compared to their portion of the overall population.

It's not a matter of intelligence, but a matter of the environment in which they are raised, and the instinct of survival.

They're raised by dumb black parents. That's the environment. But something had to have started it (genetics) and there has to be a reason why it has not stopped (also genetics).

Naawww, my stupid ass bro in law was white enough and dumb enough to BRAG to the police about his Weed grow operation.. Just went in yesterday for 11 more months. Stupidity ain't it...

Was he a liberal? Liberals tend to be pretty stupid, even the white ones.

In any case, don't be obtuse. You know it's about statistics, not about your "stupid ass bro."

I want you to understand the difference between correlation and causation.

They're raised by dumb black parents. That's the environment. But something had to have started it (genetics) and there has to be a reason why it has not stopped (also genetics).

In any case, don't be obtuse. You know it's about statistics, not about your "stupid ass bro."

Then show us these genes.

Do you want to discuss the topic or just make racist comments?

Forum List

Back