Real U.S. Wages Are Essentially Back at 1974 Levels

The "trickle up theory" to the wealthy of the purchase power of the laboring classes.

Wages have been stagnant for 40 years. Trump is the one trying to change the factors that led to that.

You people are the ones that want to keep trade and immigration policy the same.

What part of that makes sense to you?

Sure he is

Cut taxes of employers by close to 50 percent and marvel at the paltry 2.7 percent increase in salaries

'real wages' in the US peaked in 1979, the year I graduated high school

a good thing don't last forever & those that actually believe that some dumb ass politician can turn back time are pretty ignorant

Weekly and hourly earnings data from the Current Population Survey

Series Id: LEU0252881600
Not Seasonally Adjusted
Series title: (unadj)- Constant (1982-84) dollar adjusted to CPI-U- Median usual weekly earnings, Employed full time, Wage and salary workers
Earnings: Median usual weekly earnings - in constant (1982-84) dollars
Industry: All Industries
Sex: Both Sexes
Race: All Races
Ethnic origin: All Origins
Education: All educational levels
Class of worker: Wage and salary workers, excluding incorporated self employed
Labor force status: Employed full time

LEU0252881600_356069_1535233720938.gif

Databases, Tables & Calculators by Subject

Wages have been stagnant for 40 years. Trump is the one trying to change the factors that led to that.

You people are the ones that want to keep trade and immigration policy the same.

What part of that makes sense to you?

Sure he is

Cut taxes of employers by close to 50 percent and marvel at the paltry 2.7 percent increase in salaries

Taxes are not what cause wage stagnation. Your attempt to distract from the issue, with class envy, is a form of supporting the status quo, which is the wage stagnation.

I don’t remember wages skyrocketing under Democrats. They’ve been in office quite a bit since 1974. If the Republicans are a “0” on a scale from 1-10 in terms of income of average Americans, the Democrats may be charitably considered a “3” or “4”.

I’m not a republican. I’m not a democrat. I am a liberal who applauds Democratic Party efforts to raise the minimum wage because it has a force-multiplier effect. For every small employer who decides to hang it up rather than pay the elevated wages; the market solves the problem in the macroeconomic model. Such is capitalism; if you don’t want to sell me a widget; someone else will…use that income to pay their employee…expand their enterprise…etc.

Other than the minimum wage advocacy, I do not see where Democrats have anything to say to Republicans about raising the wages of workers. The way it should work is that you encourage continuous compulsory training so that today’s wage earners can become tomorrow’s salaried professionals. But really, we’ve had GSLs, Pell Grants, the GI Bill, etc… for decades. While we could lower the requirements to this and allow improvement on a micro scale (such as a grant to workers so they can just learn a language or learn computers without enrolling in 16 semester hours), on the whole, the idea that the American worker is eager to get more and more training is sadly just a myth.

Anyway, I don’t think you can lay this at the feet of the Republicans. Could they do more? Sure. Could the Democrats? Sure. Could Corporate America? Sure. This is one reason I find the potential candidacy of Howard Schultz so intriguing. He has been (mostly) a good corporate citizen; the type of employer whose values we’d like to see copied. Compare that to the blob in office now whose policy seemed to be grab as much pussy as possible.

If YOUR wages have been stagnant, then that's on you. The idea is, you start at a low wage job and work your way up the wage scale from there, not hang at out at the low end and expect the gubmint to increase your bottom end wage.
Not when EVERYONES wages are stagnant

An individual does not set the market

I don’t remember wages skyrocketing under Democrats. They’ve been in office quite a bit since 1974. If the Republicans are a “0” on a scale from 1-10 in terms of income of average Americans, the Democrats may be charitably considered a “3” or “4”.

I’m not a republican. I’m not a democrat. I am a liberal who applauds Democratic Party efforts to raise the minimum wage because it has a force-multiplier effect. For every small employer who decides to hang it up rather than pay the elevated wages; the market solves the problem in the macroeconomic model. Such is capitalism; if you don’t want to sell me a widget; someone else will…use that income to pay their employee…expand their enterprise…etc.

Other than the minimum wage advocacy, I do not see where Democrats have anything to say to Republicans about raising the wages of workers. The way it should work is that you encourage continuous compulsory training so that today’s wage earners can become tomorrow’s salaried professionals. But really, we’ve had GSLs, Pell Grants, the GI Bill, etc… for decades. While we could lower the requirements to this and allow improvement on a micro scale (such as a grant to workers so they can just learn a language or learn computers without enrolling in 16 semester hours), on the whole, the idea that the American worker is eager to get more and more training is sadly just a myth.

Anyway, I don’t think you can lay this at the feet of the Republicans. Could they do more? Sure. Could the Democrats? Sure. Could Corporate America? Sure. This is one reason I find the potential candidacy of Howard Schultz so intriguing. He has been (mostly) a good corporate citizen; the type of employer whose values we’d like to see copied. Compare that to the blob in office now whose policy seemed to be grab as much pussy as possible.
Wages skyrocketed under Bill Clinton
5-6 percent or more per year

Now, wages have been stagnant since the Great Bush Recession of 2008

Forum List

Back