Reminder: Jimmy Carter banned all Iranians from entering US (Trump is correct ...again)

Iran = Country
Muslim = Religion

Now read your first amendment

the first amendment has nothing to do with it.

How does Trump plan to prove that someone wanting to travel to the US is a Muslim?

He will wave a pig head at them
If they run...they are Muslim

wave any severed head at me and I will run

Wouldn't you check it first? You seem to have lost yours. Someone might just be returning it.

Seems DemoRATS have a history of these sort of things!

Poor Richards News ^ | 12/08/15 | Poor Richard
This is just a reminder to all the liberal Democrats out there wringing their hands about Donald Trump’s latest comments. from Front Page: During the Iranian hostage crisis, Carter issued a number of orders to put pressure on Iran. Among these, Iranians were banned from entering the United States unless they oppose the Shiite Islamist regime or had a medical emergency. Here’s Jimmy “Hitler” Carter saying it back in 1980. Fourth, the Secretary of Treasury [State] and the Attorney General will invalidate all visas issued to Iranian citizens for future entry into the United States, effective today. We will not...
A month ago you guys were worshipping Putin now Carter?
So since carter isn't the worst president anymore. You are gonna go against him now?

You really don't get the point? EVEN Jimmy Carter banned Iranians from entering the country after Americans were taken hostage in Tehran. The point is that YOU GUYS say Carter was a great president (I think he was okay), and yet your only answer is to dodge the point by asking if Republicans now support Carter because EVEN he banned all Iranians except those who were already known to be pro-Shah.
Actually I was being sarcastic, carter was the worse president till Obama came along.
How can anyone take you seriously when you totally had your fucking stupid little head buried for 8 years of Bush. Now I know not to take you seriously because you have bad judgement.

But this is the absolute first time the country of religious freedom, where people of a specific religion are banned from entering "the Land of the Free"!

so? it is not the first time that the US has imposed barriers to people of this or that origin or this or that affliction from entering the USA-------a kindergarten mosque
education is enough
I know where IRan is on the map and can point to it.
I know where Japan and Germany are on the map and can point to them.

Can anyone show me where "Islam" is on the map and point to it? Whether it is constitutional or not is irrelevant. It is a terrible stupid idea.
Being constitutional is the only relevance involved.

When it comes to immigration, constitutional is what congress says it is.
It can certainly try.

But this is the absolute first time the country of religious freedom, where people of a specific religion are banned from entering "the Land of the Free"!

so? it is not the first time that the US has imposed barriers to people of this or that origin or this or that affliction from entering the USA-------a kindergarten mosque
education is enough

Can anyone show me where "Islam" is on the map and point to it? Whether it is constitutional or not is irrelevant. It is a terrible stupid idea.

Agreed. And JakeStarkey's comment is his typical stupid and thoughtless.
BUt lots of things constitutional without being good ideas. RomneyCare. Universal Background Checks. Affirmative action (OK thats not constitutional but so what).
And Trump's idea sucks.
The Rabbi hates him some constitution.

Sorry, bucko, the law does rule and you do drool.

BUt lots of things constitutional without being good ideas. RomneyCare. Universal Background Checks. Affirmative action (OK thats not constitutional but so what).
And Trump's idea sucks.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but Trump's statement of temporarily suspending immigration for certain countries is not unique, there have been similar calls form both sides of the isle in congress.
Its not "certain countries." It's an across the board ban on Muslims.
That means if Google has hired the top programmer from the Imperial School of Engineering that guy is out of luck trying to get here. If a university has a cooperative program with Malaysia fro engineering students. Well, tough shit.
It makes no sense.

What is it you fail to understand about a temporary suspension? No one is proposing a permanent ban, not even Trump.
What is "temporary"? The cease fire in Korea was temporary. And it's been over 60 years.

Deflection doesn't become you.
Learn the meaning of the word "deflection." You say it is a "temporary" suspension and I point out "temporary" can mean almost anything. So now you have to explain why you're ok with indefinitely suspending immigration to this country.

And Trump's idea sucks.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but Trump's statement of temporarily suspending immigration for certain countries is not unique, there have been similar calls form both sides of the isle in congress.
That means if Google has hired the top programmer from the Imperial School of Engineering that guy is out of luck trying to get here. If a university has a cooperative program with Malaysia fro engineering students. Well, tough shit.
It makes no sense.

bullshit------such restrictions on immigration are overcome by NATIONAL NEED -----
If we need this or that scientist or expert----the restriction gets waived
Wow. And that will be swift and efficient, right? I can just see the thousands of petitions claiming "national need" going in front of bureaucrats.
This is like using a nuclear bomb to kill a wasps nest.

The system is already in place, it's called the H1-B visa program.
The "temporary" suspension will apply to it as well.

education is enough

It can certainly try.

Check SCOTUS precedents, congress has total authority what foreigners may enter the US, they can reject any class they chose.

It makes no sense.

What is it you fail to understand about a temporary suspension? No one is proposing a permanent ban, not even Trump.
What is "temporary"? The cease fire in Korea was temporary. And it's been over 60 years.

Learn the meaning of the word "deflection." You say it is a "temporary" suspension and I point out "temporary" can mean almost anything. So now you have to explain why you're ok with indefinitely suspending immigration to this country.

As I told my congressman, I think all immigration should be suspended until congress has a workable border security and entry exit system in place that can be verified to be enforceable.

It makes no sense.

As I told my congressman, I think all immigration should be suspended until congress has a workable border security and entry exit system in place that can be verified to be enforceable.
i.e. you want to suspend all legal immigration into the U.S.
Good luck with that.

It makes no sense.

bullshit------such restrictions on immigration are overcome by NATIONAL NEED -----
Wow. And that will be swift and efficient, right? I can just see the thousands of petitions claiming "national need" going in front of bureaucrats.

That would depend on the final details wouldn't it?

It makes no sense.

Non-sequitur.
If we bar all Muslims then we bar all Muslims. Regardless of visa program.

It makes no sense.

Trump wants to ban Muslim-Americans who leave the US, from coming back in.

i.e. you want to suspend all legal immigration into the U.S.
Good luck with that.

Yep, 40% of illegals are visa overstays, we have to be able to track them and remove them if they don't leave as agreed. Also if congress allows the current illegals to stay they should count against legal immigration quotas. That means everything should stop, until they get it worked out.

Seems DemoRATS have a history of these sort of things!

Poor Richards News ^ | 12/08/15 | Poor Richard
This is just a reminder to all the liberal Democrats out there wringing their hands about Donald Trump’s latest comments. from Front Page: During the Iranian hostage crisis, Carter issued a number of orders to put pressure on Iran. Among these, Iranians were banned from entering the United States unless they oppose the Shiite Islamist regime or had a medical emergency. Here’s Jimmy “Hitler” Carter saying it back in 1980. Fourth, the Secretary of Treasury [State] and the Attorney General will invalidate all visas issued to Iranian citizens for future entry into the United States, effective today. We will not...

Wow, Vagasil, you come up with all sorts of desperate comparisons.

At the time, the Iranian Government was holding HOSTAGES.

In short, they were not honoring VISAs issued by the government of Iran.

Not comparable at all.

True. My cousin was one of the 52 hostages so I remember this quite well. He was one of the hostages who was interrogated and beaten, since he was military attache. He did alright though when he got back to the U.S. Enjoyed a top seat in a lobbyist firm for many years.

Carter was not breaking the Constitution so the comparison to Trump is infantile and desperate.

I haven't heard that one, you got a link?

I haven't heard that one, you got a link?
It's not true. He reiterated that point on *CNN (American citizens who are Muslim are fine)

*if it wasn't CNN it was some other channel that I can't remember. Point stands though

Forum List

Back