• Immediately

• When Fauci and Birx say so

• June 1st

• When we have a vaccine

• FIVE YEARS - Favorite of USMB's U2 Edge

• NEVER -- Let Anarchy reign

Results are only viewable after voting.
"Significance
COVID-19 is currently a big threat to global health. However, no specific antiviral agents are available for its treatment. In this work, we explore the feasibility of convalescent plasma (CP) transfusion to rescue severe patients. The results from 10 severe adult cases showed that one dose (200 mL) of CP was well tolerated and could significantly increase or maintain the neutralizing antibodies at a high level, leading to disappearance of viremia in 7 d. Meanwhile, clinical symptoms and paraclinical criteria rapidly improved within 3 d. Radiological examination showed varying degrees of absorption of lung lesions within 7 d. These results indicate that CP can serve as a promising rescue option for severe COVID-19, while the randomized trial is warranted.
Abstract
Currently, there are no approved specific antiviral agents for novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). In this study, 10 severe patients confirmed by real-time viral RNA test were enrolled prospectively. One dose of 200 mL of convalescent plasma (CP) derived from recently recovered donors with the neutralizing antibody titers above 1:640 was transfused to the patients as an addition to maximal supportive care and antiviral agents. The primary endpoint was the safety of CP transfusion. The second endpoints were the improvement of clinical symptoms and laboratory parameters within 3 d after CP transfusion. The median time from onset of illness to CP transfusion was 16.5 d. After CP transfusion, the level of neutralizing antibody increased rapidly up to 1:640 in five cases, while that of the other four cases maintained at a high level (1:640). The clinical symptoms were significantly improved along with increase of oxyhemoglobin saturation within 3 d. Several parameters tended to improve as compared to pretransfusion, including increased lymphocyte counts (0.65 × 109/L vs. 0.76 × 109/L) and decreased C-reactive protein (55.98 mg/L vs. 18.13 mg/L). Radiological examinations showed varying degrees of absorption of lung lesions within 7 d. The viral load was undetectable after transfusion in seven patients who had previous viremia. No severe adverse effects were observed. This study showed CP therapy was well tolerated and could potentially improve the clinical outcomes through neutralizing viremia in severe COVID-19 cases. The optimal dose and time point, as well as the clinical benefit of CP therapy, needs further investigation in larger well-controlled trials."

There it is. Had to go back and find it.

A few issues here: this is a little out-dated by now, it's with only 10 patients, and it's based in China. I don't trust much of what they're doing at the moment.

From what I'm reading, someone can still become infected by this again.

Depends on the strain. The L strain can be infected by the S strain but the S strain antibodies will fight off the L strain as it was a more aggressive virus. The body can see the difference and responds differently. This is what happens when you get two differing strains of the same virus in close proximity.

The WHO missed the boat entirely as the March 18th publication of the paper leaves their conjecture in the dust.

Yeah. I am Right and you’re wrong. You also don’t believe in immunity and if that’s the case how would a vaccine work?

The context is perfectly clear to me. Think what you want though.
Don’t run. How would a vaccine work if we cannot build immunity once we had it?

That is how a vaccine works to my understanding. Doesn't mean that you can't get infected again. Not from what I've read at least.
So then the vaccine is useless, correct?

No, vaccines are not useless.
You just said I am not immune. A vaccine is giving someone a small dose to develop immunity. I had A massive dose. You cannot have it both ways.

What does immune mean to you?
Means 99% chance I wont get it again and if I do the symptoms will be very mild.
He doesn't know that he doesn't know, yet insists that he knows. :auiqs.jpg:
Would you please explain this to him? He doesn’t know how vaccines work it seems.

Here's what I'm referencing.

If you have anything that suggests otherwise, then show me.
LOL
studies of SARS-CoV—the virus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, which shares a considerable amount of its genetic material with SARS-CoV-2—are more promising. Antibody testing shows SARS-CoV immunity peaks at around four months and offers protection for roughly two to three years. As Preeti Malani, chief health officer and a professor of medicine at the University of Michigan, said in a video interview with JAMA Editor in Chief Howard Bauchner,this period presents “a pretty good time line for thinking about vaccines and therapeutics” for COVID-19.
if sars cov2 was so much like sars cov1.... we would already know what we were dealing with and could just use that vaccine, if there were one! Worldwide only 800 people died of SAES COV 1

Instead this novel corona virus has thrown us for a loop every which way we turn....

I wouldn't be so cocksure of anything when it comes to this new virus!
You live in fear and I will live. Fair?

LOL
studies of SARS-CoV—the virus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, which shares a considerable amount of its genetic material with SARS-CoV-2—are more promising. Antibody testing shows SARS-CoV immunity peaks at around four months and offers protection for roughly two to three years. As Preeti Malani, chief health officer and a professor of medicine at the University of Michigan, said in a video interview with JAMA Editor in Chief Howard Bauchner,this period presents “a pretty good time line for thinking about vaccines and therapeutics” for COVID-19.

The very next sentence:

"Even if the antibodies stick around in the body, however, it is not yet certain that they will prevent future infection."

I noticed you left that part out.

You first clue that this is BS, It came from WHO. I just gave you a study on convalescent plasma that shows that they do become immune. The length of immunity is the only question but it is very well established that Corona viruses cause a 2 year minimum response and some are life long.

You trust a study done in China more than the WHO? I guess we disagree there.
Researchers in the US confirmed the Chinese papers findings. The WHO is in the pocket of the CCP a political control group. Shortly after this paper was published the CCP made every paper that comes from china have to be censored before release.

Yeah. I am Right and you’re wrong. You also don’t believe in immunity and if that’s the case how would a vaccine work?

That is how a vaccine works to my understanding. Doesn't mean that you can't get infected again. Not from what I've read at least.

You just said I am not immune. A vaccine is giving someone a small dose to develop immunity. I had A massive dose. You cannot have it both ways.

Means 99% chance I wont get it again and if I do the symptoms will be very mild.
Would you please explain this to him? He doesn’t know how vaccines work it seems.

LOL
if sars cov2 was so much like sars cov1.... we would already know what we were dealing with and could just use that vaccine, if there were one! Worldwide only 800 people died of SAES COV 1

Instead this novel corona virus has thrown us for a loop every which way we turn....

Vaccines for respiratory viruses are a crapshoot...People who get annual flu shots still end up getting the flu.

Flood, famine, fire, pestilence....You're not ever going to get away from them....Jeez Lou-fucking-eeze!

LOL

You live in fear and I will live. Fair?
Now I miss the "winner" option.

"Significance
COVID-19 is currently a big threat to global health. However, no specific antiviral agents are available for its treatment. In this work, we explore the feasibility of convalescent plasma (CP) transfusion to rescue severe patients. The results from 10 severe adult cases showed that one dose (200 mL) of CP was well tolerated and could significantly increase or maintain the neutralizing antibodies at a high level, leading to disappearance of viremia in 7 d. Meanwhile, clinical symptoms and paraclinical criteria rapidly improved within 3 d. Radiological examination showed varying degrees of absorption of lung lesions within 7 d. These results indicate that CP can serve as a promising rescue option for severe COVID-19, while the randomized trial is warranted.
Abstract
Currently, there are no approved specific antiviral agents for novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). In this study, 10 severe patients confirmed by real-time viral RNA test were enrolled prospectively. One dose of 200 mL of convalescent plasma (CP) derived from recently recovered donors with the neutralizing antibody titers above 1:640 was transfused to the patients as an addition to maximal supportive care and antiviral agents. The primary endpoint was the safety of CP transfusion. The second endpoints were the improvement of clinical symptoms and laboratory parameters within 3 d after CP transfusion. The median time from onset of illness to CP transfusion was 16.5 d. After CP transfusion, the level of neutralizing antibody increased rapidly up to 1:640 in five cases, while that of the other four cases maintained at a high level (1:640). The clinical symptoms were significantly improved along with increase of oxyhemoglobin saturation within 3 d. Several parameters tended to improve as compared to pretransfusion, including increased lymphocyte counts (0.65 × 109/L vs. 0.76 × 109/L) and decreased C-reactive protein (55.98 mg/L vs. 18.13 mg/L). Radiological examinations showed varying degrees of absorption of lung lesions within 7 d. The viral load was undetectable after transfusion in seven patients who had previous viremia. No severe adverse effects were observed. This study showed CP therapy was well tolerated and could potentially improve the clinical outcomes through neutralizing viremia in severe COVID-19 cases. The optimal dose and time point, as well as the clinical benefit of CP therapy, needs further investigation in larger well-controlled trials."

There it is. Had to go back and find it.

A few issues here: this is a little out-dated by now, it's with only 10 patients, and it's based in China. I don't trust much of what they're doing at the moment.

From what I'm reading, someone can still become infected by this again.

Depends on the strain. The L strain can be infected by the S strain but the S strain antibodies will fight off the L strain as it was a more aggressive virus. The body can see the difference and responds differently. This is what happens when you get two differing strains of the same virus in close proximity.

The WHO missed the boat entirely as the March 18th publication of the paper leaves their conjecture in the dust.
WHO didn't miss any boat....They lied.

You first clue that this is BS, It came from WHO. I just gave you a study on convalescent plasma that shows that they do become immune. The length of immunity is the only question but it is very well established that Corona viruses cause a 2 year minimum response and some are life long.

You trust a study done in China more than the WHO? I guess we disagree there.
Researchers in the US confirmed the Chinese papers findings. The WHO is in the pocket of the CCP a political control group. Shortly after this paper was published the CCP made every paper that comes from china have to be censored before release.

Useful, thanks. But I'm still not in agreement with believing in what comes out of China over what comes out of WHO.

LOL

The very next sentence:

"Even if the antibodies stick around in the body, however, it is not yet certain that they will prevent future infection."

You just always look to the negative. Nothing is perfect. Would you rather have had it and beat it or not have had it? What do you think gives you the best chance to beat it again?

How do you explain this? Same source

LOL

The very next sentence:

You just always look to the negative. Nothing is perfect. Would you rather have had it and beat it or not have had it? What do you think gives you the best chance to beat it again?

Kind of an important detail to try to hide, isn't it?

That's kind of the entire point. All of my sources are saying you could still get infected. That's all I'm saying. If you have anything that says otherwise, feel free to post it (in full).

Shutting down the non-essential businesses, to my understanding, is up to the governors. They can do what they want and deal with those consequences.
If NH opens up and MA doesn’t, I ll be partying in NH tomorrow.

Go for it.
Well I am immune so it won’t bother me.
FYI

Be careful!

YOU MIGHT NOT BE IMMUNE! :eek-52:

The World Health Organization is warning that people who have had Covid-19 are not necessarily immune by the presence of antibodies from getting the virus again.
"There is no evidence yet that people who have had Covid-19 will not get a second infection," WHO said in a scientific brief published Friday.

What is herd immunity and why some think it could end the coronavirus pandemic
It cautions against governments that are considering issuing so-called "immunity passports" to people who have had Covid-19, assuming they are safe to resume normal life.

"At this point in the pandemic, there is not enough evidence about the effectiveness of antibody-mediated immunity to guarantee the accuracy of an 'immunity passport' or 'risk-free certificate,' " WHO said.

Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove from WHO has previously said it's not known whether people who have been exposed to the virus become completely immune. The new WHO brief underscores that stance, and jibes with other scientific statements about the idea of developing immunity.

During a Friday briefing, the Infectious Diseases Society of America warned that not enough is known about antibody testing to assume immunity.

Dr. Mary Hayden, spokesperson for IDSA and chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases at Rush University Medical Center, said, "We do not know whether or not patients who have these antibodies are still at risk of reinfection with Covid-19. At this point, I think we have to assume that they could be at risk of reinfection."

"We don't know even if the antibodies are protective, what degree of protection they provide, so it could be complete, it could be partial, or how long the antibodies last," Hayden added, "We know that antibody responses wane over time."

The society is "recommending that people with antibodies not change their behavior in any way, continue social distancing etc. And we think that this is a really important point to emphasize because we're concerned that if this could be present, that these antibodies could be misinterpreted, people could put themselves at unnecessary risk," Hayden said.

Then what Is the point of the vaccine? LOL that’s how it works. Giving a little to build immunity.
THEY ARE CAUTIONING NOW, that if the antibodies do not give the immunity they had thought, then we also may not be able to develop a good vaccine...... :eek: it could be the vaccine if there is one worthy, has a short stem of immunity but booster shots will be needed each virus season....

Sure. Show me the part that you would like me to explain.

Shutting down the non-essential businesses, to my understanding, is up to the governors. They can do what they want and deal with those consequences.
If NH opens up and MA doesn’t, I ll be partying in NH tomorrow.

Go for it.
Well I am immune so it won’t bother me.
FYI

Be careful!

YOU MIGHT NOT BE IMMUNE! :eek-52:

The World Health Organization is warning that people who have had Covid-19 are not necessarily immune by the presence of antibodies from getting the virus again.
"There is no evidence yet that people who have had Covid-19 will not get a second infection," WHO said in a scientific brief published Friday.

What is herd immunity and why some think it could end the coronavirus pandemic
It cautions against governments that are considering issuing so-called "immunity passports" to people who have had Covid-19, assuming they are safe to resume normal life.

"At this point in the pandemic, there is not enough evidence about the effectiveness of antibody-mediated immunity to guarantee the accuracy of an 'immunity passport' or 'risk-free certificate,' " WHO said.

Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove from WHO has previously said it's not known whether people who have been exposed to the virus become completely immune. The new WHO brief underscores that stance, and jibes with other scientific statements about the idea of developing immunity.

During a Friday briefing, the Infectious Diseases Society of America warned that not enough is known about antibody testing to assume immunity.

Dr. Mary Hayden, spokesperson for IDSA and chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases at Rush University Medical Center, said, "We do not know whether or not patients who have these antibodies are still at risk of reinfection with Covid-19. At this point, I think we have to assume that they could be at risk of reinfection."

"We don't know even if the antibodies are protective, what degree of protection they provide, so it could be complete, it could be partial, or how long the antibodies last," Hayden added, "We know that antibody responses wane over time."

The society is "recommending that people with antibodies not change their behavior in any way, continue social distancing etc. And we think that this is a really important point to emphasize because we're concerned that if this could be present, that these antibodies could be misinterpreted, people could put themselves at unnecessary risk," Hayden said.

Then what Is the point of the vaccine? LOL that’s how it works. Giving a little to build immunity.
THEY ARE CAUTIONING NOW, that if the antibodies do not give the immunity they had thought, then we also may not be able to develop a good vaccine...... :eek: it could be the vaccine if there is one worthy, has a short stem of immunity but booster shots will be needed each virus season....
"They" are cautioning??????

The same "they" that told us that the virus was really no big deal back in January (hello, Dr. Fauci!)?

The same "they" who told us that masks weren't necessary, then two months later tell us that they're indispensable?

The same "they" who told us that they're all about "flattening the curve" only to now make up new criteria to force us all into cowering in place?

Could you be so kind as to go ahead and follow what "they" tell you to do, while the rest of us get on with living?

Here. From your own source.

"And then there's the issue that we don't really know how immunity works with this virus.

Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, an infectious disease epidemiologist at the World Health Organization (WHO), said it's not known whether people who have been exposed to the virus become completely immune to it and if so, for how long. That's why governments should wait for a vaccine, she said."

You've now provided me with two sources that agree with what I've been telling you.

Are you not reading them or are you just misinterpreting them?

"And then there's the issue that we don't really know how immunity works with this virus.

Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, an infectious disease epidemiologist at the World Health Organization (WHO), said it's not known whether people who have been exposed to the virus become completely immune to it and if so, for how long. That's why governments should wait for a vaccine, she said."

You've now provided me with two sources that agree with what I've been telling you.

What are you telling me? Article basically says more than likely you have immunity. That’s not good enough for you? Nothing is 100%. Why are you so obtuse?

What are you telling me? Article basically says more than likely you have immunity. That’s not good enough for you? Nothing is 100%. Why are you so obtuse?

Article: "we don't really know how immunity works with this virus"

You: "Article basically says more than likely you have immunity."

Do you need glasses?

Why ask why? Bud Dry. :D

He's not obtuse, he's an asshole....Time to cut bait.

Forum List

Back