Rep Apologizes for Obama 'Tar Baby' Comment

To review.... this is what he said:

“Even if some people say, ‘Well, the Republicans should have done this or they should have done that,’ they will hold the president responsible. Now, I don’t even want to have to be associated with him. It’s like touching a tar baby and you get it, you’re stuck, and you’re a part of the problem now and you can’t get away.”

Now, to review the origins of the phrase 'tar baby'. It originates from the 19th-century Uncle Remus stories. In one particular story, B'rer Fox makes a doll out of a lump of tar and uses it to trap B'rer Rabbit. B'rer Rabbit gets more and more stuck the more he hits and kicks the tar baby.

Anyone with an IQ over room temperature can easily understand the context. So, can someone please clearly and logically explain how the fuck that comment is racist.

It's only racist if he intended it to be a racial slur. Only he knows for sure.

But he did apologize. :eusa_whistle:

There are bigots in the Democrat Party.... it's excused as a 'big tent'. So you can fuck off holding other people to a different standard.

When the Democrats have no bigots in their midst, then - and only then - can they bitch about others.

Idiot.

Where do I hold anyone to a different standard?? Also, look at what I asked and then look how you responded. As usual, you did not answer the question. All you did was avoid the question, state the obvious, and tell a lie. So you can fuck off, how's that???

You're a pig ignorant, lying, fat assed bitch.

:lmao::boobies::coffee::clap::iagree:

“Even if some people say, ‘Well, the Republicans should have done this or they should have done that,’ they will hold the president responsible. Now, I don’t even want to have to be associated with him. It’s like touching a tar baby and you get it, you’re stuck, and you’re a part of the problem now and you can’t get away.”

Now, to review the origins of the phrase 'tar baby'. It originates from the 19th-century Uncle Remus stories. In one particular story, B'rer Fox makes a doll out of a lump of tar and uses it to trap B'rer Rabbit. B'rer Rabbit gets more and more stuck the more he hits and kicks the tar baby.

Anyone with an IQ over room temperature can easily understand the context. So, can someone please clearly and logically explain how the fuck that comment is racist.

No, they cannot.

It's only racist if he intended it to be a racial slur. Only he knows for sure.

But he did apologize. :eusa_whistle:

I honestly just do not see how it could be perceived as racist. I wish I did, because I like to at least understand the argument, even if I don't agree with it. I just do not get it. And I am not a stupid person.

I honestly just do not see how it could be perceived as racist. I wish I did, because I like to at least understand the argument, even if I don't agree with it. I just do not get it. And I am not a stupid person.

Perhaps you've simply led a sheltered life. For as long as I can remember the term has been considered just as much a racist slur against blacks as is ******, porch monkey, jungle bunny, or spear chucker. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in this case, but it's far from unfathomable (or unreasonable) that many people took it to be a racial slur.

Perhaps you've simply led a sheltered life. For as long as I can remember the term has been considered just as much a racist slur against blacks as is ******, porch monkey, jungle bunny, or spear chucker. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in this case, but it's far from unfathomable (or unreasonable) that many people took it to be a racial slur.

I don't think my life's been sheltered. I have black family so it's not like I don't have any exposure to blacks. There is a huge difference between 'tar baby' and the other terms you use as examples. In that, tar baby has a legitimate, non-racial origin. Terms such as 'jungle bunny', 'porch monkey' 'n*gger' or 'spear chucker' have no other meaning but to insult based on race. But a tar baby is a fictional creation, about the stickiness of tar, and not in any way racial. If it is used as an insult, sure, absolutely, that is racist.... and I would happily label someone who used it in that way as a racist. But the fact is, in the context used, it was not racist.

So, this is just yet more race baiting by the left. And, personally, I find that as abhorrent as racism. Like with Sallow calling me a racist - he knows that is not true. So why do it? For point scoring.... and using race to score points is, in itself, racist.

then you must tell us why "tar baby" is racist! there must be a reason.

I don't think my life's been sheltered. I have black family so it's not like I don't have any exposure to blacks. There is a huge difference between 'tar baby' and the other terms you use as examples. In that, tar baby has a legitimate, non-racial origin. Terms such as 'jungle bunny', 'porch monkey' 'n*gger' or 'spear chucker' have no other meaning but to insult based on race. But a tar baby is a fictional creation, about the stickiness of tar, and not in any way racial. If it is used as an insult, sure, absolutely, that is racist.... and I would happily label someone who used it in that way as a racist. But the fact is, in the context used, it was not racist.

So, this is just yet more race baiting by the left. And, personally, I find that as abhorrent as racism. Like with Sallow calling me a racist - he knows that is not true. So why do it? For point scoring.... and using race to score points is, in itself, racist.

The term gets used as a racial slur regardless of your protestations to the contrary.

Fact, not opinion.

The term gets used as a racial slur regardless of your protestations to the contrary.

Fact, not opinion.

I haven't said that it cannot be racist. Just that, in the context used, it was not racist.

Fact, not opinion.

Fact, not opinion.

I haven't said that it cannot be racist. Just that, in the context used, it was not racist.

Fact, not opinion.

In the context it was used, it's not clear at all how it was intended. However, like I said, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's been explained enough. If you want to be viewed as racist, go right ahead and use it.
If not, don't. A fucking first grader can understand that. Oh and BTW, the "N" word began as a word that wasn't racist either. Feel free to use that term too, because it wasn't considered racist once. Etymology of a word , or phrase, has a lot more to do with the modern usage than just one story OR WHERE IT ORIGINATED. You come off like some KKK member trying to justify being racist with the bible.

Last edited:

Using the "N" word in any context is just as racist. Just saying. She had the good taste to edit it, so as not to be so offensive. You've been using it in this and other forums without doing so. That's not cool.

I don't use racial slurs. Or try not to. I'm not perfect. I think that one persons humor may cause others, mostly kids in school, to be targeted and bullied. I think we as adults should set an example.

All those that disagree can kiss my black ass.

Oooops. That just slipped out.

Forum List

Back