Republican bill stops funding to states issuing DL's to illegals

What does a Drivers License have to do with immigration?

It just makes sure drivers have the proper skills and training?

Legal immigrants are provided the opportunity just like everyone else to obtain a drivers license.

The OP specifically called out illegal immigrants and drivers licenses. But you already knew that and simply chose to shift the topic to legal immigrants and driver’s licenses.

What does legal status have to do with driver's licenses that are supposed to be about safety?
What about a tourist who does not want citizenship, but just wants to be able to rent a car here and drive, for the years they are visiting?
Are you going to deny them a US driver's license while a legal resident because they are undocumented as far as citizenship?
Unless you’re here legally such as a travel visa, work visa, green card, etc. you do not have the right to get a drivers license. Period. End of story.

I am not sure I see how rights have anything to do with it, because the POINT is the can and will drive anyway, so issuing them a driver's license just allows us to ensure they are better and safer drivers.
If they have a driver's license, they have had some drivers education and they can buy auto insurance which benefits everyone. The GOP's attempt to keep driver's licenses out of the hands of illegal immigrants is just plain stupid.

Each State is different. Here, there is no law that says you have one second of Drivers Education. If you are over a certain age, you only have to pass a written test and a road test and Presto, Chango. Plus, you have to have Insurance to bind your license to. What idiot Insurance Company would give insurance to an illegal before they passed their DL test? In order to get that insurance, the Insured would have to lie out his ass to get it. That means, when or if he does have an accident involving you, his insurance won't pay off a dime since it was obtain fraudulently. That means, even offering the DL to an Illegal doesn't protect you any better than if they were driving with no DL or insurance.

The licensing of drivers is only a matter of ensuring (or trying to) safety on our streets. This matter should not be used as a tool to force local authorities to aid and abet the activities of trump's brown-shirted bitches. There has been a big thing among right-wingers posting on USMB about "walk away," but right-wingers hate it when people actually do this.
Does it HURT to be this stupid?

No, I meant they legally can and will drive on a Mexican driver's license if we do not issue.
If we do not issue them a US driver's license, then they have no local residency requirement, so their Mexican driver's license remain valid forever.

If they're illegal, their license is not legally honored in this country. That may be true for a documented person.

Tell me, what other country in the world can you break into, and the government issue you a drivers license?

The US is required to always honor a Mexican driver's license by NAFTA.
Has nothing to do with immigration status.
And what you seem to be forgetting is that Mexicans are natives, not illegal immigrants.
To get to Mexico, they migrated down from the US.

What are you talking about? This is about illegals driving on our roads. If they have a license from their country, what good would it do to give them one here if it's so legal?

The advantage of them getting a license here is that they may not have been well tested in Mexico, or they may not be up on local state law peculiarities. You also want a local address on file so you can get a hold of them if there is a complaint or law suit.

No, what I want is to make them as miserable as possible being here. I want them hiding in sewers and scared to death of getting caught here.

We on the right are doing everything we can to stop this terrible problem, and you on the left are doing everything you can to getting more of them in this country. And yes, making it comfortable and rewarding their criminal behavior is doing just that.

Ray, will you admit that I am left of you? Just a simple yes or no will work.

Now, that we have that covered and to you I am a Leftie, how can you explain me not wanting to issued DL's to Illegal? Afterall, it's only the Right that is working so hard to prevent DL's being issued to Illegals and us Lefties that are working so hard to get all of them DL's. How about an answer to that one for a change?

And what you seem to be forgetting is that Mexicans are natives, not illegal immigrants.

What are you talking about? This is about illegals driving on our roads. If they have a license from their country, what good would it do to give them one here if it's so legal?

The advantage of them getting a license here is that they may not have been well tested in Mexico, or they may not be up on local state law peculiarities. You also want a local address on file so you can get a hold of them if there is a complaint or law suit.

No, what I want is to make them as miserable as possible being here. I want them hiding in sewers and scared to death of getting caught here.

We on the right are doing everything we can to stop this terrible problem, and you on the left are doing everything you can to getting more of them in this country. And yes, making it comfortable and rewarding their criminal behavior is doing just that.

Traditionally the right is who brings in illegal immigrant workers.
Trump is unusual for the right because he is appealing to populists that did not used to exist.

We always existed. Trump knew that. It's one of the reasons why he promised us a crackdown on illegals. It won him the presidency out of all the other candidates. We've always been here. It's just that the RNC and media both ignored us. Trump isn't, and that's why you're going to see five more years of him.

You bring up a good question. Rump has proven to be only out for himself and his Cronies. If, every once in awhile, it coincides with something you think is important doesn't make him great. It makes him a GREAT Conman. Havent' you watched him lately? Even the Republican Senators and Conservative Judges have just about had enough. And don't go and ask something stupid like, What has he done wrong? Like almost everyone but you, I want a President that works with Congress and the Judicial, not a King.

Then why bother issuing or requiring a driver's license from anyone, if they do not make people safer?

We issue them to Americans because Americans deserve the opportunity of that privilege. You want to give privileges to people that broke our laws by coming here in the first place.

For driving to be a privilege, then you would have to ensure enough mass transit so that there would be no risk to survival.
And that is not really true. It is nearly impossible to survive without driving in this country. We need a whole lot more mass transit.

My mother never drove a car in her life. Neither did her parents. Now you're using the excuse of mass transportation? My mother did fine. When she wanted to go somewhere that she couldn't walk to, she got a cab. One of us drove her to where she needed to go. She walked to the bus stop.

About 10 years ago you could take a bus.
But they no longer bother with them enough to be practical anymore.

Good. So when an illegal can't get around, they'll go back home. That's what my position is on all this.

There is more to it than that. If they don't have any place to go then they go home. If they don't have a home in the US to go to, or a job to go to, then they go home where they can find employment. Mexico has a huge shortage of manufacturing jobs available.

To me, it doesn't make sense to refuse DLs to anyone using the roadways, because when people need to drive to get to work or buy groceries, they will, regardless if they're legal. It's better to make sure they know the rules of the road and have passed a road test, eye exam, etc. rather than close our eyes and pretend that not giving people a license means they won't drive. LOL.

In my state, though, you have to pretty much take your whole file cabinet with you to motor vehicles these days to get a DL. Proof of birth/citizenship, two proofs of residence, my W-2, proof you are who the other documents say you are. My guess is that illegals can't get a license here. They are here. Wherever legal immigrants are, illegals are mixed among them.

I guess it's a toss up. I can see why it's considered wrong to give illegals a license, but what does that actually get you? How fair is it to arrest someone for driving without a license when you have refused to give him one? I'd rather make sure they can read enough English to follow the signs and that they know the rules of the road. My son got his DL while in the service in Panama, and he said driving down there is complete mayhem. Stop signs and red lights are optional. Yield? Forget it. We need to make sure our drivers know how to do it our way.

Last edited:
That is easy.
They are tested.
And to pass the test they have to read, study, and practice.
They also have to register an address so they can be contacted if suspected of something.
Read, but in their own language right ?

Is that why Mexican's struggle so bad on America's road's when driving, because they don't speaka-da-english ????? Next we'll have two languages on our road signs. LOL.

Whatever it takes eh ? Yeah I can see it now - We need more money in the state budget from those hard working American taxpayers, because we got to put up traffic signs in the Spanish language all over the state now. Good grief, as if the taxes aren't overly burdensome now in America.

The drivers test is in English, so anyone getting a license needs a reasonable amount of English.
And no, traffic signs never have to be read.
They follow the international standards of a diagram or sign shape.
At most you need to just read the numbers in speed limit signs.
How much English is required to read, "No Parking" or "Yield"?

If tests are conducted in English, why is New York offering drivers manuals in any language of your origin?
They always have been

Many non citizens obtain drivers licenses. Your car does not know what language you speak

However the signs tell you what a driver should be aware of, and they are all written in English.
Exactly

That is why them getting a license makes us safer

Yeah they want to help the sick alright, but not for nothing when it doesn't have to be that way. We have or had safety nets set up for the poor forever now, and it's just when the demoncrats wanted to use the healthcare issue as a way to gain political power, did it all go straight bananas afterwards. It could be that the long term strategy to defeat the Republicans over the years, was to break the system, and then to roll up like cratzy heroes to save the day. Hmmmmm.

Follow the money, and the political motivations over the years to get the real truth people. Don't fall for anything these cratzies say. Don't do it. It's all smoke and mirrors playing upon the generations in hopes their memories are to short to get to deep into it all.

Once the commies get total control over our healthcare and energy, they will have total control over all Americans. In our system of governance and the Constitution, they can't just take over these things. They need for the people to beg them to take these liberties from us. So how can we do that they ask?

First, destroy healthcare so people have no choice but to surrender it. Make it so expensive that many won't be able to reasonably afford it. Create a myth called climate change. Tell people they only have 12 more years of survival if something isn't done immediately. Make them beg us to save their lives. By the time they come to the realization that God is in charge of the climate and not man, it will be too late. We will already have total control of them.

It's all happening as we live and breathe, it's just that many are too blind to understand it's happening.

Funny how most of the bills that are designed to combat what you are saying are sitting under Moscow Mitch's desk.
Hunt put me on ignore. Yes, I broke another one!
Daryl ****?

Time to take out the trash and clean up the gene pool. Have a nice day.
Only cowards ignore

Is that why Mexican's struggle so bad on America's road's when driving, because they don't speaka-da-english ????? Next we'll have two languages on our road signs. LOL.

Whatever it takes eh ? Yeah I can see it now - We need more money in the state budget from those hard working American taxpayers, because we got to put up traffic signs in the Spanish language all over the state now. Good grief, as if the taxes aren't overly burdensome now in America.

The drivers test is in English, so anyone getting a license needs a reasonable amount of English.

If tests are conducted in English, why is New York offering drivers manuals in any language of your origin?
They always have been

Many non citizens obtain drivers licenses. Your car does not know what language you speak

However the signs tell you what a driver should be aware of, and they are all written in English.
Exactly

No, what makes us safer is if they didn't drive at all.

To me, it doesn't make sense to refuse DLs to anyone using the roadways, because when people need to drive to get to work or buy groceries, they will, regardless if they're legal. It's better to make sure they know the rules of the road and have passed a road test, eye exam, etc. rather than close our eyes and pretend that not giving people a license means they won't drive. LOL.

In my state, though, you have to pretty much take your whole file cabinet with you to motor vehicles these days to get a DL. Proof of birth/citizenship, two proofs of residence, my W-2, proof you are who the other documents say you are. My guess is that illegals can't get a license here. They are here. Wherever legal immigrants are, illegals are mixed among them.

I guess it's a toss up. I can see why it's considered wrong to give illegals a license, but what does that actually get you? How fair is it to arrest someone for driving without a license when you have refused to give him one? I'd rather make sure they can read enough English to follow the signs and that they know the rules of the road. My son got his DL while in the service in Panama, and he said driving down there is complete mayhem. Stop signs and red lights are optional. Yield? Forget it. We need to make sure our drivers know how to do it our way.

Yes, we need to give up. We need to surrender. After all, surrendering is what made our country so strong and great. Since drivers are going to drive anyway without a license, then it's only fair we don't take licenses away from Americans with multiple DUI convictions. After all, they're going to drive anyway, right? They have to get to work too. They need to get groceries, don't they? We can't let people starve because they have a problem with alcohol.

When they get out of prison after serving six years in prison for killing your grandchild, just give them their license back.

Traditionally the right is who brings in illegal immigrant workers.
Trump is unusual for the right because he is appealing to populists that did not used to exist.

We always existed. Trump knew that. It's one of the reasons why he promised us a crackdown on illegals. It won him the presidency out of all the other candidates. We've always been here. It's just that the RNC and media both ignored us. Trump isn't, and that's why you're going to see five more years of him.

You bring up a good question. Rump has proven to be only out for himself and his Cronies. If, every once in awhile, it coincides with something you think is important doesn't make him great. It makes him a GREAT Conman. Havent' you watched him lately? Even the Republican Senators and Conservative Judges have just about had enough. And don't go and ask something stupid like, What has he done wrong? Like almost everyone but you, I want a President that works with Congress and the Judicial, not a King.

I want a President that addresses my issues of concern, and that's what our President is doing. It's what an elected official is supposed to be doing.

If they're illegal, their license is not legally honored in this country. That may be true for a documented person.

Tell me, what other country in the world can you break into, and the government issue you a drivers license?

Now, that we have that covered and to you I am a Leftie, how can you explain me not wanting to issued DL's to Illegal? Afterall, it's only the Right that is working so hard to prevent DL's being issued to Illegals and us Lefties that are working so hard to get all of them DL's. How about an answer to that one for a change?

WTF are you talking about? I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to Rigby.

They always have been

Exactly

It won't make a damned difference.

WTF are you talking about? I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to Rigby.

You said that ALL Lefties were after the same conclusion. Well, chipper, I asked you two questions.

Am I a leftie?
Do ALL Lefties want Illegals to have a legal Drivers License and be Insured?

A "Drivers License" has nothing to do with "immigration" per say; but it has a great deal to do with illegal immigration.

Allowing illegal aliens to legally obtain Drivers Licenses not only legitimizes their crime, it diminishes its seriousness; which results in further escalating the crime.

I heard an interesting quote not long ago;
"When a crime is ignored it becomes rampant"
"When a crime is rewarded it becomes epidemic"

I'm pretty sure the US has reached the epidemic stage.
So thank God for Donald Trump!
FYI-
if the illegal came here and stayed, or any first time crosser, the crime of crossing the border illegally is just a misdemeanor....

I do not believe anyone with a misdemeanor crime in this Nation is prevented from getting a driver's license? So in a sense, it's not really a reward for committing a misdemeanor....since anyone with a misdemeanor conviction can have one..... though I can understand your thinking on it being one.

It's a felony if an illegal crosser has been apprehended, gotten their day in court, and an immigration judge convicts them for the misdemeanor, then they are sent home to their country, AND then they make a second attempt entering illegally and are caught, after they were convicted of said first time misdemeanor and deported, and again, get their day in court, and convicted by the immigration judge of the felony...for 2nd time entering illegally.

Believe it or not, before the immigration reform bill under Pres Bush2 passed to strengthen our immigration laws,

it was only a civil offense, equivalent of a parking ticket, with no criminal record attached....

so even though a misdemeanor charge seems so minor, for the criminal offense of crossing illegally now, it's a heck of a lot stronger of a penalty and law, than it was before the reform.
If this is truly the way you feel about it; then why even bother having "immigration laws"?

I am not sure I see how rights have anything to do with it, because the POINT is the can and will drive anyway, so issuing them a driver's license just allows us to ensure they are better and safer drivers.

We can say that about our law breakers as well. Why should a judge suspend somebody's license if they are going to drive anyway? Maybe when they get out of jail is six or seven years for killing somebody driving drunk, just give them their licenses back. They're going to drive anyway, right???

No, I meant they legally can and will drive on a Mexican driver's license if we do not issue.
If we do not issue them a US driver's license, then they have no local residency requirement, so their Mexican driver's license remain valid forever.

Canada and Mexico for starters. Most countries do not require a Visa or proof of citizenship to get a license. Generally if you have a license in another country, you will be allowed to apply for a license.

Since your immigration status is not considered a factor in safely operating a vehicle, a visa is not generally required, however adequate documentation is and that varies with every country and often the province or state.

I couldn't find any law about illegals driving in Canada. Google can't seem to find anything on it. Maybe they don't have any illegals. I couldn't find anything about Mexico either. But here is what I did find that has me skeptical whether they are allowed to drive or not:

‐ Illegal entry into the country is equivalent to a felony punishable by two years’ imprisonment. Document fraud is subject to fine and imprisonment; so is alien marriage fraud. Evading deportation is a serious crime; illegal re-entry after deportation is punishable by ten years’ imprisonment. Foreigners may be kicked out of the country without due process and the endless bites at the litigation apple that illegal aliens are afforded in our country (see, for example, President Obama’s illegal-alien aunt — a fugitive from deportation for eight years who is awaiting a second decision on her previously rejected asylum claim).

How Mexico Treats Illegal Aliens | National Review
You couldn't find any law because it is not illegal. With the exception of a few totalitarian states, license requirements are granted based on the privileges granted by the license. If being a legal resident of the country has some impact on the ability to drive a vehicle, buy a home, own a vehicle, own a dog, or operate a business then proof of legal residence should be required. To do otherwise, infringes on everyone's personal freedom. I've been in countries where you can't rent a room, buy train ticket, enter a museum, or just walk down a street without proof of your legal residency. Hopefully, we not come to that here.

Last edited:

A "Drivers License" has nothing to do with "immigration" per say; but it has a great deal to do with illegal immigration.

Allowing illegal aliens to legally obtain Drivers Licenses not only legitimizes their crime, it diminishes its seriousness; which results in further escalating the crime.

I heard an interesting quote not long ago;
"When a crime is ignored it becomes rampant"
"When a crime is rewarded it becomes epidemic"

I'm pretty sure the US has reached the epidemic stage.
So thank God for Donald Trump!

That makes no sense.
What a state accomplishes by issuing driver's licenses to illegals is to ensure they are safer on the roads.
Nothing else.
They are not supposed to be any more legitimized because a state issued driver's license is not supposed to be used as an ID by anyone.
Lots of people do not even have driver's licenses.
Whenever I'm in a foreign country;(any foreign country) the ID most commonly requested is my passport.

But in the states(US) the most commonly requested ID is by far my drivers license, whether I'm driving or not.

How can you possibly not know this?

Besides; aren't illegal aliens suppose to be deported rather than out driving around the streets of a country they're in illegally?

We can say that about our law breakers as well. Why should a judge suspend somebody's license if they are going to drive anyway? Maybe when they get out of jail is six or seven years for killing somebody driving drunk, just give them their licenses back. They're going to drive anyway, right???

Canada and Mexico for starters. Most countries do not require a Visa or proof of citizenship to get a license. Generally if you have a license in another country, you will be allowed to apply for a license.

Since your immigration status is not considered a factor in safely operating a vehicle, a visa is not generally required, however adequate documentation is and that varies with every country and often the province or state.

I couldn't find any law about illegals driving in Canada. Google can't seem to find anything on it. Maybe they don't have any illegals. I couldn't find anything about Mexico either. But here is what I did find that has me skeptical whether they are allowed to drive or not:

‐ Illegal entry into the country is equivalent to a felony punishable by two years’ imprisonment. Document fraud is subject to fine and imprisonment; so is alien marriage fraud. Evading deportation is a serious crime; illegal re-entry after deportation is punishable by ten years’ imprisonment. Foreigners may be kicked out of the country without due process and the endless bites at the litigation apple that illegal aliens are afforded in our country (see, for example, President Obama’s illegal-alien aunt — a fugitive from deportation for eight years who is awaiting a second decision on her previously rejected asylum claim).

How Mexico Treats Illegal Aliens | National Review
You couldn't find any law because it is not illegal. With the exception of a few totalitarian states, license requirements are granted based on the privileges granted by the license. If being a legal resident of the country has some impact on the ability to drive a vehicle, buy a home, own a vehicle, own a dog, or operate a business then proof of legal residence should be required. To do otherwise, infringes on everyone's personal freedom. I've been in countries where you can't rent a room, buy train ticket, enter a museum, or just walk down a street without proof of your legal residency. Hopefully, we not come to that here.

It's not proof of residency we're talking about. It's about people who broke our laws by illegally entering this country or staying past their Visa expiration date, and rewarding their transgressions with a drivers license. You are making assumptions about Canada, when it likely could be the other way. Apparently it's not an issue over there; at least not enough for anybody to write about. Also, no stories of motor vehicle deaths or DUI's with illegals as is a major problem over here.

You said that ALL Lefties were after the same conclusion. Well, chipper, I asked you two questions.

Am I a leftie?
Do ALL Lefties want Illegals to have a legal Drivers License and be Insured?

Why are you asking me if I think you are a lefty? I don't need to ask anybody how they think about what side I'm on. I said "you on the left" to another poster, and if you think I was talking about you, then so be it. But I didn't make the judgment on you being a lefty or not.

Forum List

Back