Revised Same-sex Marriage/Religion Poll

Do you support state recognized same-sex marriage or not, and are you religious?

• I am against state recognized same-sex marriage and I'm religious.

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • I am against state recognized same-sex marriage and I'm not religious.

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • I support state recognized same-sex marriage and I'm religious.

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • I support state recognized same-sex marriage and I'm not religious.

Votes: 16 43.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can't answer that poll because it does not fit my beliefs at all.

I do not believe that the state has any business being in the marriage business. Marriage is a Rite of the church. The state should set up contracts between people establishing a relationship and certain legal rights. If the state (by a legal means) chose to allow those people to be of the same sex then so be it, but regardless, the state should stay out of the marriage business. If the state made such a decision, I would have to live by it as I have chosen to live by the state's decisions on abortion. I don't have to like the decision, but as long as I CHOSE to remain a citizen of this fine nation then I must and will live by the rules established by our society. I can work to change those rules if I desire by a legal means or I can simply chose to live by the rules.

Immie

So, would you say that you are not just against state-sanctioned same-sex marriages, but any state-sanctioned marriages because you believe marriage is a religious rite?

If so, then in a way, you could vote: I am against state-sanctioned same-sex marriage (because I am against all state-sanctioned marrages), and I'm religious. Does that work for you alright?

That would be about the closest fit, but then it puts me in a box that I am not comfortable being in. Take out the "same-sex" and we'll talk. :lol:

Immie

That would be about the closest fit, but then it puts me in a box that I am not comfortable being in. Take out the "same-sex" and we'll talk. :lol:

Immie

Well, oh well, I guess. Next time I do a poll it'll be "Should the government have nothing to do with marriage? Yes or No, and are you religious?" How does that one sound? Just for you, my friend.

I'm looking at this poll and wondering if we're in the twilight zone. Even California isn't as liberal as the voters in this poll. What's going on here? Where are the conservatives around here and why aren't they making themselves heard? Are they just sick and tired of all the same-sex marriage threads?

Good! Our diabolical scheme is working, mwa ha ha ha haaaaa! Soon conservatives everywhere will be so over the same-sex marriage issue that they won't even care about oppressing homosexuals anymore!

Immie

Well, oh well, I guess. Next time I do a poll it'll be "Should the government have nothing to do with marriage? Yes or No, and are you religious?" How does that one sound? Just for you, my friend.

You'd get about as many participants some many of us just don't care about who is getting married to what as much as we do about whether the government should be involved at all.

Are you against same-sex marriage because of the what the Bible says? Then vote, against it and I am religious. Clear now? If not, then vote: against it and I'm not religious.

I voted because I wanted to. When you become a mod here you can have some say over what I do, until then... not so much. :lol:

I'm for civil unions because that is equality, it has nothing to do with the Bible. My spiritual beliefs have NOTHING to do with my conclusion. THAT is why your poll is flawed. You're pre-supposing something that isn't necessarily true and hoping your poll will prove it.

If you want people to check the "right" box give them a box to check that is accurate.

No, then you did check the right box. Unless you're deluding yourself because you don't think you're against homosexuality because of what the Bible says but its the Bible or Christianity which has influenced your perspective in that regard...[/QUOTE]

WTf??? The Bible has very little to do with my beliefs about homosexuality. It's amazing to me that you think yourself so clever as to know why I think what I think. Your arrogance is overwhelming.

I'm looking at this poll and wondering if we're in the twilight zone. Even California isn't as liberal as the voters in this poll. What's going on here? Where are the conservatives around here and why aren't they making themselves heard? Are they just sick and tired of all the same-sex marriage threads?

Good! Our diabolical scheme is working, mwa ha ha ha haaaaa! Soon conservatives everywhere will be so over the same-sex marriage issue that they won't even care about oppressing homosexuals anymore!

Uh... that's the point, we are here and we are being heard, it just doesn't fit your preconceived ideas about us. You don't seem to get that you have a flawed premise, but... you do. You have what seems to me a fundamental misunderstanding about conservatives (and religious people) and you seem hell bent on validating these beliefs.

Do some people think the way you seem to imagine all cons think? Probably. Is it the all or most you like to imagine, probably not.

CMM, when you first came here you struck me as being sincere and genuine, but over the last couple of days you seem intent on proving you're a partisan hack. Please come back to reality.

You cannot be a Christian and encourage a sin, such as encouraging homosexuality by legalizing gay marriage.

You cannot be a Christian and encourage a sin, such as encouraging homosexuality by legalizing gay marriage.

God and Jesus BOTH said "love one another". They didn't specify gender.

Besides.......whose to say that your definition is right dude?

And don't go quoting Leviticus on me unless you are a Jewish priest..........

Coloradomtnman said:
No, then you did check the right box. Unless you're deluding yourself because you don't think you're against homosexuality because of what the Bible says but its the Bible or Christianity which has influenced your perspective in that regard...

WTf??? The Bible has very little to do with my beliefs about homosexuality. It's amazing to me that you think yourself so clever as to know why I think what I think. Your arrogance is overwhelming.

Let me just rephrase that bolded statement so its clearer:

Are you sure the Bible, the Church you attend, or Christian values about which you have been surrounded your entire life has nothing to do with your beliefs? That's all I meant to say. The reason I ask is because, for someone who says she doesn't consider herself religious, you defend Christianity a lot. Now you may defend all religion, but I've only seen your defense of Christianity and your conservatism (and in this country the two often, not always, go hand-in-hand).

I didn't assume to know what you think, I was just asking if you're sure of the root of your beliefs.

Uh... that's the point, we are here and we are being heard, it just doesn't fit your preconceived ideas about us. You don't seem to get that you have a flawed premise, but... you do. You have what seems to me a fundamental misunderstanding about conservatives (and religious people) and you seem hell bent on validating these beliefs.

Do some people think the way you seem to imagine all cons think? Probably. Is it the all or most you like to imagine, probably not.

CMM, when you first came here you struck me as being sincere and genuine, but over the last couple of days you seem intent on proving you're a partisan hack. Please come back to reality.

First of all, we all have preconceived notions. I started this poll to determine if non-religious people were against homosexuality for traditional reasons. Some who are against same-sex marriage have posited that many non-religious people in California voted for Prop. 8 because of they support the idea of traditional marriage, i.e. between a man and a woman, and that the same could be said for the cultural perspective around the country. I, being skeptical of the statement, started this poll.

That doesn't mean I am determined to, if I find it that I may be wrong and it looks as though I very well could be, at least about the sample of USMB posters who voted, to refuse to be open-minded about it. If I'm wrong, I'll have to rethink my perception of the issue.

But it seems you are telling me that most conservatives don't mind same-sex marriage. That it is mostly liberals who support restrictions on what type of marriage is state-sanctioned. Am I understanding you correctly? And do you think that's true?

And could you lay off the insults. Hardly the respectful type of interaction that leads to open discourse.

Immie

"Nothing" sounds grammatically incorrect so maybe "Should the government have anything to do with marriage? Yes or no, and are you religious?" :tongue:

There are more ways to discouraging something than simply beating someone over the head with sin. Although, I agree that the "Law" is to be used as a mirror and to point us to our need for a savior.

Rarely, does using the tactic, "You are going to Hell if you are a homosexual!!" change their lifestyle. Jesus did not change the adulteress' lifestyle by stoning her or letting her be stoned. He took a much more subtle approach and guess what, it worked.

Immie

Last edited:

First of all, we all have preconceived notions. I started this poll to determine if non-religious people were against homosexuality for traditional reasons. Some who are against same-sex marriage have posited that many non-religious people in California voted for Prop. 8 because of they support the idea of traditional marriage, i.e. between a man and a woman, and that the same could be said for the cultural perspective around the country. I, being skeptical of the statement, started this poll.

That doesn't mean I am determined to, if I find it that I may be wrong and it looks as though I very well could be, at least about the sample of USMB posters who voted, to refuse to be open-minded about it. If I'm wrong, I'll have to rethink my perception of the issue.

But it seems you are telling me that most conservatives don't mind same-sex marriage. That it is mostly liberals who support restrictions on what type of marriage is state-sanctioned. Am I understanding you correctly? And do you think that's true?

And could you lay off the insults. Hardly the respectful type of interaction that leads to open discourse.

Wasn't Prop 8 the ultimate poll? You should learn from that.

Good point!:eusa_eh:

They didn't have a box on the voting forms where one was supposed to check if they were religious or not. And if they did, which they didn't, I didn't get the results from the election board. Hence the purpose of this poll.

They didn't have a box on the voting forms where one was supposed to check if they were religious or not. And if they did, which they didn't, I didn't get the results from the election board. Hence the purpose of this poll.

Take a look at the demographics in California, that should give you a clue. :lol:

Coloradomtnman said:
No, then you did check the right box. Unless you're deluding yourself because you don't think you're against homosexuality because of what the Bible says but its the Bible or Christianity which has influenced your perspective in that regard...

Let me just rephrase that bolded statement so its clearer:

Are you sure the Bible, the Church you attend, or Christian values about which you have been surrounded your entire life has nothing to do with your beliefs? That's all I meant to say. The reason I ask is because, for someone who says she doesn't consider herself religious, you defend Christianity a lot. Now you may defend all religion, but I've only seen your defense of Christianity and your conservatism (and in this country the two often, not always, go hand-in-hand).

I didn't assume to know what you think, I was just asking if you're sure of the root of your beliefs.

I don't have time right now to spend writing the 5 page post this would really require for an answer. Actually, I probably never have that kind of time.

Of course the Bible/Church/Christianity have influenced my beliefs. BUT NOT ON HOMOSEXUALITY. Is this thing on? Can you hear me?

If my beliefs about gays came from the Bible I would be "They're gonna burn for their abominations" but I don't think that way. The Bible is pretty clear it's not acceptable, I accept it. I'm for them being happy and having civil unions. I just wish they'd leave me alone and stop trying to force cultural changes. I don't think it's a healthy or natural lifestyle, I don't get that from the Bible, I get that from hearing about AIDS and average shorter life spans. I get that from knowing what are genitals are for, we fit together a certain way for a certain reason. But please, where's the hate I'm supposedly so legendary for that none of this truth of how I actually feel matters?

I don't believe in shame-sex marriage. Shame-sex marriage advocates should be ashamed for advocating shame-sex. Shame-sex is something that shame-sex people do when they get into prison or want shame-sex or like the risk of getting HIV by having shame-sex.

Take a look at the demographics in California, that should give you a clue. :lol:

C'mon, Newby, you can do better than that!

I don't believe in shame-sex marriage. Shame-sex marriage advocates should be ashamed for advocating shame-sex. Shame-sex is something that shame-sex people do when they get into prison or want shame-sex or like the risk of getting HIV by having shame-sex.

You're a Nasty Gust.........you are almost as big of an asshole as Chucked Ass.

Go pump your neighbor's dog ya penis puffer.

Forum List

Back