Russian Military is inept

I am very surprised how amateur the Russian Army looks at least on TV. The convoy made 3 miles yesterday. On a road.

Friendly bet:

They are admitted to the EU before this conflict is even over.
If they hadn't been admitted before why would you think they would be admitted now? The only thing that is certain is that the US and the EU will not be drawn into this conflict no matter what. Their assistance will be limited to arms, money and sanctions.

It is a keystone to Mutually Assured Destruction
We won’t consider some nuclear attacks to be acceptable.
It is an invitation to nuclear war as long as you don’t attack the US, you are OK

If Putin were to use nukes against Ukraine, we would retaliate
Only if it's our country that got nuked. I'm not even certain we'd retaliate if Europe was nuked.

Do you think that is because Biden has no balls?
No. I think it's because it's not our fight. The US and the EU have already shown their hand. They are sitting this one out. Arms, money and sanctions. That's it. And Putin knows it.

true.

Putin managed to shock the world again with the depths to which he will sink.

There will be no surprises next time.
C'mon man. You know this wasn't a surprise. Arms for Ukraine - specifically anti-tank weapons - from the US was discussed back when Obama was president. The way I understand it when Russian forces were massing at the border that was the first time anti-tank weapons were sent (from the EU), which was right before the invasion. The no fly zone which the EU and US will not break - for fear of being drawn into the conflict - complicates getting more arms into Ukraine.

If they hadn't been admitted before why would you think they would be admitted now?
Because things have changed. Turn on a TV lately? Some things go are happening in Europe.

In addition, the EU Presdent and Euro parliament have expressed support for bringing in Ukraine. Pretty solid sources, wouldn't you agree?

And Ukraine has been a candidate for a while.

Because things have changed. Turn on a TV lately?

And Ukraine has been a candidate for a while.
Exactly and they haven't been invited.

I can't think of a better invitation for Europe to enter this war than to invite Ukraine into the EU during this war.

Exactly and they haven't been invited.
I would say that the EU President and Euro Parliament saying Ukraine should be inthe EU constitutes about as strong an invite as one could imagine and which has ever occured.

But maybe someone with a prescribed narrative would claim otherwise.

No. I think it's because it's not our fight. The US and the EU have already shown their hand. They are sitting this one out. Arms, money and sanctions. That's it. And Putin knows it.
Hopefully you are right.

I would say that the EU President and Euro Parliament saying Ukraine should be inthe EU constitutes about as strong an invite as one could imagine and which has ever occured.

But maybe someone with a prescribed narrative would claim otherwise.
Prescribed narrative? Such as what?

What exactly do you think Ukraine's membership in the EU will do for Ukraine or for Europe? What exactly would their commitment to each other be?

Because I think you are shooting from your hip and thinking with your feels instead of your head. You have not thought through the unintended consequences during a shooting war.

Hopefully you are right.
I'd be shocked if the US or EU did anything which might bring them into this conflict. They won't even break the no fly zone for fear of having a plane shot down and being forced to retaliate. They have already said as much.

Prescribed narrative? Such as what?
In your case, not sure. There are many possibilities.

But not acknowledging what I posted as an invite requires some kind of fetishist attachment to a narrative. I don't have much interest in parsing it out.

Or maybe you do acknowledge it.

If the EU takes in Ukraine, Putin will not react by invading other European countries. The conflict in Ukraine -- prosecuted by his entire foreign fighting force -- shows Putin would not be able to impose his will on any NATO country.

Nukes is a line you do not cross unless your country is being invaded
Putin likely managed to unite even China and India against him with that threat, though still behind closed doors.

Surely they understand a Russian nuke launch into Europe would mean destruction of their own countries and economies, if even just from the aftereffects of a nuclear exchange.

In your case, not sure. There are many possibilities.

But not acknowledging what I posted as an invite requires some kind of fetishist attachment to a narrative. I don't have much interest in parsing it out.

Or maybe you do acknowledge it.

If the EU takes in Ukraine, Putin will not react by invading other European countries. The conflict in Ukraine -- prosecuted by his entire foreign fighting force -- shows Putin would not be able to impose his will on any NATO country.
I don't have a narrative, dummy. What exactly do you think I should have acknowledged? That Ukraine has asked for emergency admittance? Yeah, so what. The question I am asking - that you don't have the answers to - are what are the commitments being made by admittance and what are the unintended consequences. So while you may not believe these are valid or relevant or important questions, I assure you that the members of the EU consider these to be very valid, very relevant and very important questions.

Discussing anything with you is like having a conversation with a spoiled child. Seriously, grow up.

Forum List

Back