🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Salt Lake City going solar

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Salt Lake City is going solar. Will cost about 2% more than present day energy costs. However, I am sure, by the time it gets fully online, it will be cheaper than fossil fuel costs.

Salt Lake City is going solar. Will cost about 2% more than present day energy costs. However, I am sure, by the time it gets fully online, it will be cheaper than fossil fuel costs.

Dumbass! That is with the filthy ass subsidies and that means somebody else is paying the bills. Just like wind turbines have been a failure these solar farms will be a failure.

You would think those Mormon boys would be smart enough not to fall for a scam like that, wouldn't you?

When did you start having reading comprehension issues? Since you've been doing this for decades now -- the TIP OFF should have been knowing how far 80MWatts goes.

Almost all electricity used by Salt Lake City’s government will be generated by renewable means by 2023 when a massive solar farm is expected to connect to Utah’s power grid.

Wonder if that includes the street and traffic light in the FUCKIN DEAD OF NIGHT @!!!!!

Elektron Solar — which will generate enough electricity to power the equivalent of about 15,000 homes for a year.

Yeah except NOBODY gets ANYTHING from that solar farm for 14 or 15 hours EACH DAY. And maybe NOTHING 8 days a month.

Yawn.. Goforit. Like buying toys for kids at Christmas that they're screaming for -- KNOWING it'll be sitting in the closet forever by end of January.

Last edited:
Dumbass! That is with the filthy ass subsidies and that means somebody else is paying the bills. Just like wind turbines have been a failure these solar farms will be a failure.

You would think those Mormon boys would be smart enough not to fall for a scam like that, wouldn't you?

Depends on how much solar they previously installed. The ONLY THING massive solar generation CAN do is to relieve the day time peaks on the grid. And once you reach 12 or 15% of your total peak generation -- you're screwed.

It's a peaker supplement -- not an alternative. I hope Old Rocks lives long enough to finally realize that. :poke:

Lordy, lordy, isn't wonderful how new technology gets our Luddites panties in a knot? LOL Combine this with VPP's and agrivoltaics, there is no reason Utah could not supply all it's power from solar. And Utah has plenty of room for the various grid scale storage strategies. In fact, Utah could well export power North and East.

Lordy, lordy, isn't wonderful how new technology gets our Luddites panties in a knot? LOL Combine this with VPP's and agrivoltaics, there is no reason Utah could not supply all it's power from solar. And Utah has plenty of room for the various grid scale storage strategies. In fact, Utah could well export power North and East.

Betcha none of those "incentives and tax breaks and rebates" ARE EVER included in your +2 cents analysis.

Why do you think it's funny that the "solar powered" SLCity government streets and traffic lights WILL NOT WORK AFTER DARK? Are U some kind of terrorist or something? :badgrin:

Betcha none of those "incentives and tax breaks and rebates" ARE EVER included in your +2 cents analysis.

Why do you think it's funny that the "solar powered" SLCity government streets and traffic lights WILL NOT WORK AFTER DARK? Are U some kind of terrorist or something? :badgrin:
LOL Never heard of grid scale storage? I guess you are still living in the 19th century.

For you illiterate types, this is unsubsidized prices;
1639164242530.png

I've watched the real time dashboard for Tucson Ariz for about 2 months preparing to write a paper.

They are the #1 spot for leveraging solar energy and it does TONS more for THEM than their silly wind toys. (which are actually owned by NMex, but located in better positions in Arizona).

THEY probably never will bust the 12 to 15% of installed generation because they are not glitter coated unicorn hunters. THEY are installing enough NEW high performance NAT GAS to COVER 100% of whatever deficits of PEAK GENERATION that solar causes. And it will likely STOP there.

No ARMAGEDDON of "grid scale batteries" or other enviro nightmares. Like the one Cali is building that's the battery equivalent of 17,000 Tesla Model S cars. And only holds that section of the grid up for 3 hours.

LOL Never heard of grid scale storage? I guess you are still living in the 19th century.

No.. I'm now and in the future. YOURE living to mine the world for lithium and other metals BIG ENOUGH to drown all of of seaboard in TOXIC "hard to recycle" waste.

The mining ALONE -- given the demand from consumer toys and portable computing and NOW - EVERY FUCKING CAR --- is completely insane and NOT SUSTAINABLE. Unless you want to volunteer to bend over and take it in the ass for for all of us, begging to every 3rd world hellhole and China

I've watched the real time dashboard for Tucson Ariz for about 2 months preparing to write a paper.

They are the #1 spot for leveraging solar energy and it does TONS more for THEM than their silly wind toys. (which are actually owned by NMex, but located in better positions in Arizona).

THEY probably never will bust the 12 to 15% of installed generation because they are not glitter coated unicorn hunters. THEY are installing enough NEW high performance NAT GAS to COVER 100% of whatever deficits of PEAK GENERATION that solar causes. And it will likely STOP there.

No ARMAGEDDON of "grid scale batteries" or other enviro nightmares. Like the one Cali is building that's the battery equivalent of 17,000 Tesla Model S cars. And only holds that section of the grid up for 3 hours.
Those batteries are completely recyclable. And they leave no pollutants in the air, land, and water as does coal. The Horndale battery and wind farm in Australia have proven the worth of the batteries.

No.. I'm now and in the future. YOURE living to mine the world for lithium and other metals BIG ENOUGH to drown all of of seaboard in TOXIC "hard to recycle" waste.

The mining ALONE -- given the demand from consumer toys and portable computing and NOW - EVERY FUCKING CAR --- is completely insane and NOT SUSTAINABLE. Unless you want to volunteer to bend over and take it in the ass for for all of us, begging to every 3rd world hellhole and China
LOL Your ignorance is again showing. We have enough lithium in the US for all of our needs, with spare to export. And it is far less dirty to mine than coal, and less polluting than natural gas.

And the ill informed and ill advised rush to usher in extensive continental northern hemisphere glaciation marches on.

Last edited:
I see lots of glowing (heh) predictions about green technologies...but predictions don't keep the lights on.
How old are you? 13? In my lifetime, I have seen computers go from overgrown adding machines to devices you can hold in your hand, call to anywhere on Earth, and talk to, and get an answer. When I was a boy, we knew almost nothing about our solar system, now we have robots on the moon and Mars. We have flown by and taken pictures of all the planets and their moons. We are on the verge of having internet and communications anywhere on Earth via Space X's Starlink. These green technologies are being developed by the same people that gave us all of that and so much more. In the meantime, you are left standing beside the road, yelling "get a horse".

One of the major aces in the hole for solar power is the much lessened need for power during the dark hours. That came with our switch to LED lighting that consumes about 1/10 of most other lighting. And of course the industrial power consumption being much lower during the dark hours.

Is Las Vegas switched over to LED lighting yet?

Even Alaska and Canada's north is benefitting from solar, with their longer daylight hours!

The jury's in folks!

Those batteries are completely recyclable. And they leave no pollutants in the air, land, and water as does coal. The Horndale battery and wind farm in Australia have proven the worth of the batteries.

Those batteries are lithium-ion. Mining lithium is a dangerous, energy-intensive, environmentally-damaging business.

Forum List

Back