Sarah is getting her Lung transplant!!!! :)

This incident speaks loudly in favor of euthanasia. There are many people who for one reason or other simply don't wish to live anymore. I recently read that suicide prevention is a priority issue in most maximum security prisons, which I believe is a cruel and unjustifiable absurdity.

Someone who just doesn't wish to live anymore should be provided with a peaceful comfortable, narcotic-assisted lapse into permanent unconsciousness. I'm sure so many of these individuals would be organ donors there would never again be a shortage.

Needed it more?? Sorry.. this girl was just as much in need as anyone on the top of the adult list

This is about the most ignorant thing I have seen on this board today.. and I have seen a lot of ignorant things

She was first on the pediatric list, NOT on the adult list. There is a whole string of adults who have ALL been knocked back one place on the list because a child was deemed more valuable than they were.

And if an adult gets a lung, there is a whole string of children that get knocked back one place, because an adult was deemed more valuable than they were.

It is a tough situation, either way.

No, there are not, because adults do not receive child lungs - the child in this case received an adult lung!

She was first on the pediatric list, NOT on the adult list. There is a whole string of adults who have ALL been knocked back one place on the list because a child was deemed more valuable than they were.

And if an adult gets a lung, there is a whole string of children that get knocked back one place, because an adult was deemed more valuable than they were.

No, there are not, because adults do not receive child lungs - the child in this case received an adult lung!

Okay, yet if the lung works on a child and the child is on the top of a list, has been there for sometime and more at risk of death...I'd give it to the one more in need, since children lungs are very tough to come by...logic has to dictate over emotion.

Okay, yet if the lung works on a child and the child is on the top of a list, has been there for sometime and more at risk of death...I'd give it to the one more in need, since children lungs are very tough to come by...logic has to dictate over emotion.

But the child does not have a good chance of survival, given how sick she is, and the fact that the lungs are not designed for her body. An adult is more likely to recover - logic tells me that the person with the best prognosis should come first.

But the child does not have a good chance of survival, given how sick she is, and the fact that the lungs are not designed for her body. An adult is more likely to recover - logic tells me that the person with the best prognosis should come first.

Did the adult at the top of the list have a better chance, because of their current health? Maybe between the two, she had the better prognosis.

The Gift of a Lifetime: The Transplant Waiting List
Patients on the waiting list are in end-stage organ failure and have been evaluated by a transplant physician at hospitals in the U.S. where organ transplants are performed.

OPTN: Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network

Here's how it goes:
Sickest first. (There is no arguing that one)
Adults first, kids LAST!

Isn't that age discrimination?

Last year, there were just 20 lung donors under the age of 12. That's out of more than 1,700 total donors.

Children only need a partial lobe.

I know I've posted all of this before.

The Gift of a Lifetime: The Transplant Waiting List
Patients on the waiting list are in end-stage organ failure and have been evaluated by a transplant physician at hospitals in the U.S. where organ transplants are performed.

OPTN: Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network

Here's how it goes:
Sickest first. (There is no arguing that one)
Adults first, kids LAST!

Isn't that age discrimination?

Last year, there were just 20 lung donors under the age of 12. That's out of more than 1,700 total donors.

Children only need a partial lobe.

I know I've posted all of this before.

Sickest first is what I have heard.

Did the adult at the top of the list have a better chance, because of their current health? Maybe between the two, she had the better prognosis.

Doesn't change the fact that she was NOT on the adult list for a reason.

She wasn't on the list because some government bureaucrat made a rule that she couldn't be.

Jeebus, you are such a pathetic hack.

Why do you hate dying children?

Do we even know an adult is going to die because of this? Isn't it just speculation on our part? It's quite possible the next adult on the list will get a transplant too.

She was not on the adult list due to a rule - she was near death, I think they did the right thing to let her have the lungs, who knows how long she had been waiting.

Looks like the surgery went well, now if her body doesn't reject the lungs, everything should be fine.

As for someone having to die in order for her to get the lung, it's not like they killed the person to get the lungs, the person would've died whether or not they had volunteered to donate their organs.

As for her bumping someone else, she had been on a pediatric list, but apparently there are not that many children donors, and considering that she was near death, it was a good thing that the judge ruled in their favor.

God Bless the little girl and her family, I hope she lives on.

If you believed in Miracles, then you'd be praying to your Sky Pixie for a solution, not waiting for SCIENCE to fix the problem.

According to you? Like we should live under the limits you impose on reason and faith imposed by one with little understanding of one, and none of the other. How about you live within your own limits, and get out of the way of the rest of us. We'll leave the light on for ya. ;)

I have no opinion about how much you clowns mix superstition and science, or even your hypocrisy on the matter.

It's when you all try to impose your superstition on the rest of us I have a problem.

People like you could see a miracle, and probably have right in front of your eyes....but you would never recognize it as that. To you, it would be just a 'coincidence'. We know better.

She wasn't on the list because some government bureaucrat made a rule that she couldn't be.

That law was made for a reason.

Do we even know an adult is going to die because of this? Isn't it just speculation on our part? It's quite possible the next adult on the list will get a transplant too.

And if they don't? That is something no one is willing to consider. Its all about how the girl should survive, the girl should get the transplant. No one is considering the life of an adult here, an adult who was AHEAD of her on the list!

So you think when a law is written, that it's always right and for a good reason? Lol! Laws are changed all the time to hopefully make them better and more fair.

So you think when a law is written, that it's always right and for a good reason? Lol! Laws are changed all the time to hopefully make them better and more fair.

Of course not. Some laws are just plain stupid, others are wrong.

But the problem with this law is that it means that parents can head off to a judge to get their own kids on the adult donor list, ahead of an adult who is more likely to survive the surgery.

The law should not be saying that children are more important. It is bad enough that someone had to die in order for Sarah to live - but right now, there is an adult, who was #1 on the adult list, who has been pushed down the list because Sarah took their place. An adult who had a better chance of survival because the lungs that Sarah received were designed for an adult body.

Of course Sarah deserves to live - if her doctors were confident she would survive the transplant, fine, if she was too ill, then it is preferable to let nature take its course.

I am considering both sides. One, a little girl who has been ill her entire life and now has a chance at life, and also an adult - ALL the adults on the adult transplant list who now have to wait longer for their transplants because Sarah took the lungs that were meant for them.

But the problem with this law is that it means that parents can head off to a judge to get their own kids on the adult donor list, ahead of an adult who is more likely to survive the surgery.

The law should not be saying that children are more important. It is bad enough that someone had to die in order for Sarah to live - but right now, there is an adult, who was #1 on the adult list, who has been pushed down the list because Sarah took their place. An adult who had a better chance of survival because the lungs that Sarah received were designed for an adult body.

Of course Sarah deserves to live - if her doctors were confident she would survive the transplant, fine, if she was too ill, then it is preferable to let nature take its course.

I am considering both sides. One, a little girl who has been ill her entire life and now has a chance at life, and also an adult - ALL the adults on the adult transplant list who now have to wait longer for their transplants because Sarah took the lungs that were meant for them.

They must feel that if this transplant is successful that she has a good chance of surviving for years. If they felt there was no hope, and the new lungs would not work, they wouldn't have done it or let her even get on the list! They're not going to "waste" a set of lungs on someone that has no hope anyway!

She had just hours to live....the "next" person on the list may have 3 months to live. That other person has a very good chance of getting what they need in time, just like Sarah did. But until you actually hear and prove that the next person on the list died because Sarah got the lungs, then come back and argue your point....because like I said before, right now you have no point, just what ifs!

They must feel that if this transplant is successful that she has a good chance of surviving for years. If they felt there was no hope, and the new lungs would not work, they wouldn't have done it or let her even get on the list! They're not going to "waste" a set of lungs on someone that has no hope anyway!

She had just hours to live....the "next" person on the list may have 3 months to live. That other person has a very good chance of getting what they need in time, just like Sarah did. But until you actually hear and prove that the next person on the list died because Sarah got the lungs, then come back and argue your point....because like I said before, right now you have no point, just what ifs!

If she did indeed have 'hours' to live, no one would have done the surgery, because her body would have been so weak, she would have died. You don't get to have even minor surgery if you are seriously ill - she had plenty of time left - NOT hours.

Forum List

Back