Satan's Role in Christian Religion

CorvusRexus

The Raven King
Mar 6, 2014
When Christians imagine Satan, I for one have always seen that people tend to picture him as some malevolent anti-god of sorts who rules a fiery domain known as Hell. But if one were a Bible thumper literalist, one would dispute that claim by quoting the first chapter of Job:
6 One day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them. 7 The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?" Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it." 8 Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil." 9 "Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. 10 "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face." 12 The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger." Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.
This passage implies 2 things:
1. Satan was still an angel by the time of Job, and thus not the evil serpent in Eden who persuaded Eve to bite the fruit.
2. God lets Satan do just about whatever the hell (pun intended) he wants, and doesn't treat him with contempt.

BTW, I will be playing the role of Bible Thumper Literalist for this discussion. This does not reflect my honest and personal views.

do you recall the story of the rescued shipwrecked sailor who was showing his rescuers his island......and this palmfrond shack was his home and that one his church...and the third the church he used to belong to?......

that is the role of Satan in the Christian religion......

as to point 1) I can't imagine why you would think Satan had to be something other than an angel after the Garden of Eden....if he had the power to take on the appearance of a serpent, there's no reason to assume it had to be permanent.....

as to 2), I don't think the fact there is no epilogue to the book of Job means you have to assume God didn't say "told you so" the next time Satan dropped by......

13For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. 14No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15Therefore it is not surprising if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end will be according to their deeds. 2 CORINTHIANS 11:14

When Christians imagine Satan, I for one have always seen that people tend to picture him as some malevolent anti-god of sorts who rules a fiery domain known as Hell. But if one were a Bible thumper literalist, one would dispute that claim by quoting the first chapter of Job:
6 One day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them. 7 The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?" Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it." 8 Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil." 9 "Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. 10 "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face." 12 The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger." Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.
1. Satan was still an angel by the time of Job, and thus not the evil serpent in Eden who persuaded Eve to bite the fruit.
2. God lets Satan do just about whatever the hell (pun intended) he wants, and doesn't treat him with contempt.

BTW, I will be playing the role of Bible Thumper Literalist for this discussion. This does not reflect my honest and personal views.

Satan is an arch angel but he rebelled against God and he continues to do so today. However, he does serve a very important purpose within God's will. He can do NOTHING without God allowing it. His main purpose is to test our (Christians') faith. Job was tempted but so was Jesus Christ tempted. Job passed his trial as did Christ. Satan exists and his influence is strong. It's getting stronger by the day but it's finite. It will end and he will end up in chains. The faith of a true Christian is under a major trial today but we can be fully protected from the fiery darts of the enemy if we don the full gospel armor of Jesus Christ. He warned us of this day but He also comforted us with the promise of salvation if we endure until the end.

do you recall the story of the rescued shipwrecked sailor who was showing his rescuers his island......and this palmfrond shack was his home and that one his church...and the third the church he used to belong to?......

that is the role of Satan in the Christian religion......

as to point 1) I can't imagine why you would think Satan had to be something other than an angel after the Garden of Eden....if he had the power to take on the appearance of a serpent, there's no reason to assume it had to be permanent.....

as to 2), I don't think the fact there is no epilogue to the book of Job means you have to assume God didn't say "told you so" the next time Satan dropped by......

1. Many people such as [MENTION=42952]GISMYS[/MENTION] claim that Satan is an ultimate force for evil and always was shunned by God. I have decided to argue as a Bible thumper in order to appeal to his small sense of reason. Thus, I demonstrate that Satan was still respected and treated at least like an angel after the whole Eden incident.
2. But God said to Satan something along the lines of, "Sure. Do what you want, but don't kill him. Everyone else is expendable. You can kill them if you like."

Satan is an arch angel but he rebelled against God and he continues to do so today. However, he does serve a very important purpose within God's will. He can do NOTHING without God allowing it. His main purpose is to test our (Christians') faith. Job was tempted but so was Jesus Christ tempted. Job passed his trial as did Christ. Satan exists and his influence is strong. It's getting stronger by the day but it's finite. It will end and he will end up in chains. The faith of a true Christian is under a major trial today but we can be fully protected from the fiery darts of the enemy if we don the full gospel armor of Jesus Christ. He warned us of this day but He also comforted us with the promise of salvation if we endure until the end.

Find me the Scripture passage that says Satan rebelled against God.

25 years ago, I stopped imagining God, Christ, and Satan.

And I began viewing my beautiful earth-life that lay before my eyes. And I marveled at the stars above and the ground beneath my feet.

And I was home. In my heart, mind, and soul. I finally managed to release myself from the manacles of Religion.

Being born and raised in the Church I found nothing but paranoia, self-doubt, and hatred of my own person.

Today, I revel in the magnificent physical world, and I have my own knowing of God as it suits my understanding. I am living my own contented life, and I will die my own contented death.

And if there is one connection to the Church, it is my firm belief that the Mother of Christ is also my Mother in God. She is my connect, and She will greet me when my soul leaves this borrowed body.

6 One day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them. 7 The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?" Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it." 8 Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job?

The word "considered" is a military word. Satan is a strategist. Have you strategized against my servant job?

Find me the Scripture passage that says Satan rebelled against God.

There are several. 'I saw satan fall like lightning'. Jude, etc.

Have you read the "I wills of Satan"?

Isaiah 14:12-15

Isaiah 14 (Blue Letter Bible: KJV - King James Version)

The physical universe could not have come to be were it not for an entity other than "God".

This entity is what the Bible metaphorically defines as "Eve".

At the moment the pure spirit of God co-existed with "Eve" was in fact the event that we describe today as "The Big Bang".

And now... you know... the rest... of the story.

G'day!

PS- God made a farmer. Because Paul Harvey said so.

You do know that Job is a work of literature, don't you? A parable designed to teach deeper truths?

You do know that Job is a work of literature, don't you? A parable designed to teach deeper truths?

Parables are an earthly truth coupled with a heavenly truth. There is little about heaven here. Job is scripture.

Satan = an imaginary bad guy fighting against an imaginary good guy.

So much of what you guys write sounds like a video game or a graphic novel for kids. Clement's avatar is perfect and and laughable, like Templar's cardboard sword.

There are actual "bad things" in this world. Why not fight against them?

Seriously. Its pretty easy to win against an imaginary foe. How about feeding the hungry and homeless in your area? How about shoes for the very poor kids in your area?

Now THAT is real evil.

Lucifer = bringer of light.

when Jesus said that 'Satan was a murderer from the beginning; he was referring to the story of Adam and Eve where the talking serpent in the garden of Eden deceived them into defying the command of God with the false promise that they would not die, but their eyes will be opened and they will become like God"

Satan is a allegorical depiction of any such person. There is no such thing as a disembodied entity, that is invisible, whispers in peoples heads and makes them do bad things.

Find someone who claims that the law of God is obsolete and that a person can worship another human being or an imaginary trinity and they will not die but will receive eternal life and you will find a highly venomous and murderous descendant of that ever elusive serpent of old.

They pretend to be enlightened, saved, whatever, and then attempt to get people to defy the laws of God. They have a fondness for presiding over ceremonies as if the world would stop turning if they weren't in charge of their holy charade.

Know any anyone like that?

sometimes I wonder why people who don't like to talk about religion hang around a religion forum......

I really don't wonder why some people who like to talk about religion are dismissive of any rational point made by any rational question.

what did ludly say that was too difficult for you to face or respond to?

What would be surprising is if any of you had the honesty or self respect acknowledged a valid point.

I really do believe that a hungry child is the result of very real evil.

Why do we, as a species, allow that to continue?

And, for those who believe in a god, how can you belong to churches who do not pay taxes but do not put that money into their own community?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, churches do SOME good but if they really followed the teachings of their god, there would be no homeless and no hungry.

I really do believe that a hungry child is the result of very real evil.

Why do we, as a species, allow that to continue?

And, for those who believe in a god, how can you belong to churches who do not pay taxes but do not put that money into their own community?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, churches do SOME good but if they really followed the teachings of their god, there would be no homeless and no hungry.

WOULD YOU like to tell us the dollar amount you have given to feed the poor this year????? TALK IS CHEAP!!! HUH??

Forum List

Back