Scary Books

I like Anne Rice's books...Witching Hour and it's spinoffs....and the vampire books and their spinoffs. Not really scarey, but different.

Some of S. King's books, but for awhile there he was in some weird zone and wrote some bad novels. He redeemed himself with Dumas Key.

I also LOVE Robert McCammon and his Wolf's Hour, Swan Song, and the rest of his books. Read all of them more than once.

I spent most of my life avoiding the scary stuff, because of night terrors. Lately though, I have been reconsidering the suspense genre.

I know in movies, I am fine with suspense, but not straight-out scary or slasher type films. My daughter loves scary movies, but The Ring scared the everloving daylights out of her. So I am trying to find a comparable "This is in books as that is to in movies" balance ... I really don't know what I'm looking for, lol!

I love supernatural, though. Like the TV show, that kind of genre.

I recommend (HIGHLY), Swan Song. Did you ever read The Stand by stephen king? If so...it is BETTER, and along the same vein sorta kinda. I think you will love it. I know I did.

I recommend (HIGHLY), Swan Song. Did you ever read The Stand by stephen king? If so...it is BETTER, and along the same vein sorta kinda. I think you will love it. I know I did.

If I did, it was forever ago. I'd definitely need to read it again.

Did you read The Shining, and know that there is finally a sequel out?

Swan song, by Robert McCammon? Got 4.6 out of 5 stars, very respectful Amazon average.

Anybody love 'em? Any recommendations of books, authors?

Hostage To The Devil by Malachi Martin. It's the account of 5 real life exorcisms. Scary as hell. Martin also wrote The Robe which was made into a movie starring Richard Burton and Ernest Borgnine.

Should mention Father Martin was a priest. It's a really good book that would appeal mainly to Catholics, but any religious person or one curious about the possibility of Satanic possession would like it.

The late Father was a fascinating man and an excellent writer. I would also recommend THE JESUITS, by him.

Anything by John Saul or Dean Koontz is good solid mainstream horror. King, everyone knows. Peter Straub is probably the best, most literate horror writer alive. His books are rich tapestries of complex lives and disturbing tales. My favorite writer.

Hostage To The Devil by Malachi Martin. It's the account of 5 real life exorcisms. Scary as hell. Martin also wrote The Robe which was made into a movie starring Richard Burton and Ernest Borgnine.

See, that's my trip point. I can't do the demonic stuff ... I can like the TV show Supernatural, demonic. But not actual demons actually possessing actual people, actually.

That makes me sleep with the lights on, and even that's not enough. I'd probably start seeing faces in my monitors. I have a very vivid imagination, and that's not a road I'm willing to go down.

Sorry. Good recommend, I'm sure but I personally cannot go there.

Anything by John Saul or Dean Koontz is good solid mainstream horror. King, everyone knows. Peter Straub is probably the best, most literate horror writer alive. His books are rich tapestries of complex lives and disturbing tales. My favorite writer.

Thank you for dragging me back in from the "HOLY SHIT, NOT THAT" edge.

Thank you for dragging me back in from the "HOLY SHIT, NOT THAT" edge.

Ghost Story by Straub is good.

Some of King's early short stories were good..."The Mist" and "The Raft" pretty creepy.

Straub and King wrote one together, called The Talisman, followed a few years later by Black HOuse, which is part 2. Both very good books.

See, that's my trip point. I can't do the demonic stuff ... I can like the TV show Supernatural, demonic. But not actual demons actually possessing actual people, actually.

That makes me sleep with the lights on, and even that's not enough. I'd probably start seeing faces in my monitors. I have a very vivid imagination, and that's not a road I'm willing to go down.

The Stand
Swan Song (All McCammons books are good)
Blackwood Farm
Witching Hour
Taltos
Interview With A Vampire
From A Buick 8

That should get you started and no...they are not like The Exorcist, etc. I can't watch nor read those kinds of books, so I am like you.

The Stand
Swan Song (All McCammons books are good)
Blackwood Farm
Witching Hour
Taltos
Interview With A Vampire
From A Buick 8

That should get you started and no...they are not like The Exorcist, etc. I can't watch nor read those kinds of books, so I am like you.

I gotta tell you a funny. My sister and I are really close, 13.5 months apart.

We watched The Exorcist together. By this I mean you could view us in a horizontal line in front of the TV, head-to-head and lying down. We each had our head propped on our hands, leaning on one elbow - facing away from the TV.

That was us, 'watching' The Exorcist.

Forum List

Back