Sen Paul: Govt spent $118,000 to see if Thanos could really snap his fingers...

It has nothing to do with it. They just didn't build an arm, they built the entire character. For what?
Here read this and check sourcing of you like. Share it with your buddy struth please

——
The grant is #2019371, where the $118k+ is only the 2020 funds. From the description, it seems clear that they published a paper and are planning another that builds on the first. That first paper is open access; a snippet reads:

Using high-speed imaging and force sensors, we analyse the dynamics of the finger snap… Our analysis reveals the central role of skin friction in mediating the snap dynamics by acting as a latch to control the resulting high velocities and accelerations. We evaluate the role of this frictional latch experimentally, by covering the thumb and middle finger with different materials to produce different friction coefficients and varying compressibility… We also develop a soft, compressible friction-based latch-mediated spring actuated model to further elucidate the key role of friction and how it interacts with a compressible latch.
They did not test a "metal glove". The closest test was of thimbles under medical gloves:

Force data are collected for 5 snaps made while wearing a nitrile glove with lubrication, while wearing latex rubber on both fingers, and while wearing a metal thimble on both fingers underneath the nitrile glove.
We thank two members of the BhamlaLab for volunteering to participate in the finger snap experiments.
Thanos was an inspiration for the work, but it's not about him. The authors suggest that the research will be helpful in understanding the mechanics behind creatures like termites and ants which have snapping mandibles, in addition to being useful for developing prosthetics and "soft robotics".

Here read this and check sourcing of you like. Share it with your buddy struth please

——
The grant is #2019371, where the $118k+ is only the 2020 funds. From the description, it seems clear that they published a paper and are planning another that builds on the first. That first paper is open access; a snippet reads:

They did not test a "metal glove". The closest test was of thimbles under medical gloves:

Thanos was an inspiration for the work, but it's not about him. The authors suggest that the research will be helpful in understanding the mechanics behind creatures like termites and ants which have snapping mandibles, in addition to being useful for developing prosthetics and "soft robotics".
Thanos inspired our Govt to spend over $100K to figure out how a snap works? Wow....meanwhile, children are freezing in Buffalo...congrats

No, I am not the idiot that needed to spend 100K to learn how to snap, nor am I the one defending it.
I’m not defending anything about a program I know nothing about. I’m just trying to accurately lay out the facts after a US senator and people like you fail to be able to do so.

I sit around watching Marvel movies and snap my figures......I am pretty good at it....want to pay me six figures?
Are you that ashamed of your profession that you need to hide from it? Come on, don’t be scared. What do you do to make a living?

I’m not defending anything about a program I know nothing about. I’m just trying to accurately lay out the facts after a US senator and people like you fail to be able to do so.
The fact is we spent six figures on a snap...that's what the Senator and I are mocking...and ashamed of...and call a waste...and you are defending

Are you that ashamed of your profession that you need to hide from it? Come on, don’t be scared. What do you do to make a living?
I am quite happy with what I do...what I do, pays for idiots like you to learn how to snap

The fact is we spent six figures on a snap...that's what the Senator and I are mocking...and ashamed of...and call a waste...and you are defending
The funding wasn’t about a snap. You’re hiding the true intentions of the experiment just like Rand did. That’s lying

I told you. I pay for idiots like you to learn how a snap works, and discuss Marvel movies
I didn’t ask what you pay for, I asked what you did. What’s the job? Why are you avoiding giving a direct answer?

Forum List

Back