Shifting the tax burden to the wealthy class does NOT harm the economy

Another means of silently lessening the inequality of property is to exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions or property in geometrical progression as they rise.
To James Madison Fontainebleau Oct. 28 1785; The Letters of Thomas Jefferson
That clarifies it, thank you! Believe it or not, I didn't know Jefferson wrote this, it's actually a brilliant idea, and when it comes to Reagan, I've actually been looking back on him and I've realized he is more liberal then my side makes him out to be..

"Contrary to what Republicans would have you believe, super-high tax rates on rich people do not appear to hurt the economy or make people lazy: During the 1950s and early 1960s, the top bracket income tax rate was over 90%--and the economy, middle-class, and stock market boom."

THE TRUTH ABOUT TAXES: High Rates On Rich People Do Not Hurt The Economy - Business Insider

The true driving force of the economy is the middle class - not the wealthy. This economy depends on consumer spending. That is why you all should care about income inequality. Despite productivity skyrocketing over the previous decades, wages have remained mostly flat in the lower class and most of the income gains have gone to the top 1%.. The middle class is shrinking and the U.S. has the worst child poverty rate in the developed world.

Wealth And Inequality In America - Business Insider

That statistic has been debunked many times over. I'm late to this thread and I'll bet someone has already pointed it out to you.

The thing that probably no one has noted us that you could take every penny from everyone who makes $500K or more per year and you would only be able to fund the government for 6 months. And of course it would hurt the economy, it's stupid to believe otherwise.

Every penny from those making $500,000 or more only 6 months? Oh you mean WITHOUT keeping existing tax revenues TOO?

Since taxing ONLY the top 1% at DOUBLE today's EFFECTIVE rate (23%) would wipe out the current deficit?

Yep, ONLY a 46% EFFECTIVE tax rate for the top 1% and we go back to a surplus like Clinton had US at!

The point remains that we don't have an income problem, we have a spending problem.

Right Reagan GUTTING the treasury by almost 3% of GDP didn't matter NOR Dubya gutting it by 5%+ of GDP, it was ONLY the spending increases (3% under Reagan, 2% under Dubya) by the GOPers that was the problem *shaking head*

Hint taking US from 20% of GDP like Clinton had US to under 15% of GDP WHILE DUBYA EXPLODED THE CREDIT CARD CHARGES, CREATED THIS SITUATION (along with his ponzi scheme)

From that same letter written by Jefferson:

The property of this country is absolutely concentred in a very few hands, having revenues of from half a million of guineas a year downwards.

Sound familiar?

I am conscious that an equal division of property is impracticable, but the consequences of this enormous inequality producing so much misery to the bulk of mankind, legislators cannot invent too many devices for subdividing property, only taking care to let their subdivisions go hand in hand with the natural affections of the human mind.

Whenever there are in any country uncultivated lands and unemployed poor, it is clear that the laws of property have been so far extended as to violate natural right.

Reagan understood this.

"Contrary to what Republicans would have you believe, super-high tax rates on rich people do not appear to hurt the economy or make people lazy: During the 1950s and early 1960s, the top bracket income tax rate was over 90%--and the economy, middle-class, and stock market boom."

THE TRUTH ABOUT TAXES: High Rates On Rich People Do Not Hurt The Economy - Business Insider

The true driving force of the economy is the middle class - not the wealthy. This economy depends on consumer spending. That is why you all should care about income inequality. Despite productivity skyrocketing over the previous decades, wages have remained mostly flat in the lower class and most of the income gains have gone to the top 1%.. The middle class is shrinking and the U.S. has the worst child poverty rate in the developed world.

That statistic has been debunked many times over. I'm late to this thread and I'll bet someone has already pointed it out to you.

The thing that probably no one has noted us that you could take every penny from everyone who makes $500K or more per year and you would only be able to fund the government for 6 months. And of course it would hurt the economy, it's stupid to believe otherwise.

Every penny from those making $500,000 or more only 6 months? Oh you mean WITHOUT keeping existing tax revenues TOO?

Since taxing ONLY the top 1% at DOUBLE today's EFFECTIVE rate (23%) would wipe out the current deficit?

Yep, ONLY a 46% EFFECTIVE tax rate for the top 1% and we go back to a surplus like Clinton had US at!

The point remains that we don't have an income problem, we have a spending problem.

Right Reagan GUTTING the treasury by almost 3% of GDP didn't matter NOR Dubya gutting it by 5%+ of GDP, it was ONLY the spending increases (3% under Reagan, 2% under Dubya) by the GOPers that was the problem *shaking head*

Hint taking US from 20% of GDP like Clinton had US to under 15% of GDP WHILE DUBYA EXPLODED THE CREDIT CARD CHARGES, CREATED THIS SITUATION (along with his ponzi scheme)
I will never forgive George Bush and the mock GOP Congress for taking the conservative movement so far off the reservation.

Ever.

From that same letter written by Jefferson:

The property of this country is absolutely concentred in a very few hands, having revenues of from half a million of guineas a year downwards.

Sound familiar?

I am conscious that an equal division of property is impracticable, but the consequences of this enormous inequality producing so much misery to the bulk of mankind, legislators cannot invent too many devices for subdividing property, only taking care to let their subdivisions go hand in hand with the natural affections of the human mind.

Whenever there are in any country uncultivated lands and unemployed poor, it is clear that the laws of property have been so far extended as to violate natural right.

Reagan understood this.
I heard Reagan raised taxes multiple times and lowered them on the rich, this seems to be the case..

The reason we are having economic problems in this country are directly related to Progressive policies.

When you punish business for operating here, they go elsewhere. When you make poverty a viable option for people, they choose it. The income gap is a result of left wing policies and in true left wing dishonesty, they cause it and point their fingers elsewhere.
Hilarious, when you refer to "punishment" you do realize corporations move on their own to get the cheapest labor, that's why we need a global movement to keep these corporations in check.

That isn't the only reason. Cheapest labor is only for companies that can use it. Nany companies need skilled workers and those cannot be found in Chinese sweatshops. Those companies go to where they aren't so regulated and taxed. N other words, where they don't get harshly punished.

RECORD Corp US profits, lowest SUSTAINED tax "burden" on the "job creator" (top 1%) since 1932 AND lowest Corp tax burden in 40 years AS their labor costs for first time EVER hit below 50% of costs, and they are getting "harshly punished"?? lol

When the American economy was rockin' and rollin' back in the 60's and 70's we had a top tax rate on the wealthy of 91% and a 10% usery law that prevented charging more than 10% interest.

The peasants were also allowed to deduct 100% of the interest they paid on everything on their income taxes both state and federal.

Until Ronald Reagan created the largest tax increase on the middle class in history when he took the interest deduction away, except for your home mortgage -- and he WANTED to take that away too.

Having a high tax rate on the uber wealthy serves two purposes.

1) It raises more money to pay down the country's debt -- thanks to Bush's Follies.

2) It motivates the wealthy to use their remaining money to start more businesses and expand the one's they own in order to get more money.

If a man has 100 million dollars rs a year coming in from his factory, and the government lets him keep 92 million, he has little motivation to expand his plant or start another business.

If he had 100 million dollars a year coming in from his factory, and the government lets him keep 10 million, he has LOTS of motivation to expand his operations and start more.

He still owns his yacht and mansions and now needs more money to KEEP them just like his employees need to make money to pay their rent / house payment.

He's still a rich man, nobody took his factory away from him, but with a high tax rate he pays more to society for the better life he is receiving from society. And that helps society.

Proof of my statement is that when we HAD high tax rates on the wealthy ... they DID expand their businesses and start more. Times were booming.

But, since Reagan and the massive give aways to the wealthy under the pretense it would create more jobs ( which has been proven untrue ) we have cut the taxes on the wealthy and they just hide their money overseas and sit on their wealth.

The conservatives claim that giving welfare to the poor encourages them not to work.

Well, tax cuts for the rich are the same thing as welfare to the poor --- only it's welfare for the RICH.

===============

It's kind of weird how good it was then and now how bad it is today since the rich have been getting away with this crap.

We spent far more on infrastructure, science, r&d and education when we had the revenue to do so.

Why is their so many ignorant fools on here in history?

Again you moron it's not 1950. Not 1960...

Europe and Asia were coming out of WWII

We didn't have the regulations we have now We didn't have the Competition we have now...

An high tax rate won't work.....

Looks like the job creators are doing a fine job of killing the middle class all by themselves.
corporate-profits-and-wages.jpg

Tell us some more about the job killing regulations.

EFFECTIVE TAX RATES

average_effective_federal_tax_rates.png
1.Take your charts and shove them up your ass

2. Pick up a history book

3. Stop your stupid ass left wing taking points the year is 2015 who the he'll benefits with a higher tax rate?

In 2015 no one will benefit people will just keep their money and say

Fuck you and retire...it's that simple...

I will never forgive George Bush and the mock GOP Congress for taking the conservative movement so far off the reservation.

Ever.
I'm curious, do you support social welfare programs and maintaining them? Where do you stand on social security? Military spending?

You all probably remember Dick Cheney saying during the 2000 campaign that Reagan taught us "deficits don't matter".

That is not what Reagan taught us.

What Reagan taught us was as long as GDP growth matched or exceeded the growth in the deficit, then we would be fine. And for the most part, Reagan held the deficit to GDP growth.

Clinton did not. Not even close.

And neither did Bush/Cheney.

Which makes Cheney a fucking asshole. And Bush.

What would really help the economy is to completely end all social programs (including obamacare) and shift that money over to paying off obamas debt.
those on welfare dont contribute anyway, the money they spend in the community is generated by the taxes paid by the working members of that community in the first place, so its pretty much a negative however you look at it.
This would do a couple of things, but the biggest thing it would do is to end poverty at the lowest level while reducing the number of unemployed in the country.

Gutting the money for the poor ends poverty???? lol

ONLY in right wing "reality" Bubs

HINT IT'S LACK OF JOBS THOSE "JOB CREATORS" ARE CREATING, NOT LACK OF PEOPLE LOOKING!

WHILE Corps have record profits!

Weird right?

Would that be corporations like GE, run by Obama's "jobs czar" Imelt? The GE that moves jobs out of this country and paid zero corporate income taxes last year? That corporation?

You mean like NewsCoprp who ALSO didn't pay fed taxation? THAT CORPORATION OBAMA'S BUD TOO BUD?

Glad you CAN'T REFUTE THE FACTS THOUGH BUBBA, IT'S NOT LACK OF PROFITS RIGHT?

You all probably remember Dick Cheney saying during the 2000 campaign that Reagan taught us "deficits don't matter".

That is not what Reagan taught us.

What Reagan taught us was as long as GDP growth matched or exceeded the growth in the deficit, then we would be fine. And for the most part, Reagan held the deficit to GDP growth.

Clinton did not. Not even close.

And neither did Bush/Cheney.

Which makes Cheney a fucking asshole. And Bush.
GDP isn't really a good measure of how well people are doing though, so that's sticky.

bullshit. you could take 100% of the income of the top 1% and it would run the govt for 6 months.

I get it Bubba, CONservatives HATE math. AGAIN, are you talking ONLY the top 1% OR the entire existing tax revenues AND the top 1%?

TOP 1% "MADE" NEARLY $2 TRILLION BUBS, PAID $451 BILLION TAXES, LEAVES $1.5 TRILLION TO WIPE OUT THE $450 BILLION DEFICIT THIS YEAR??

Summary of Latest Federal Income Tax Data

IT'S A REAL MATH THING BUBS, NOT RIGHT WING THING!

So, based on your data the evil rich paid around 25% after all the evil exemptions and deductions that the evil rich are given by the evil dems who have controlled congress for most of the last 75 years. right?

Should it be 50%? 75%? how much of a successful person's income should the govenment confiscate fromt them? Have you talked to Oprah and Beyonce about paying more?

Good YOU agree your earlier posit was just MORE right wing BS based NOT in reality that we can have a surplus by increasing the tax burden on the 1% back to where they were taxed 1932-1980. Glad we cleared that up Bubs. Like I said, 46% EFFECTIVE tax rate for the top 1% wipes out the deficit!!!

Dems? No Bubba, it was Dubya/GOP who did that, remember the tax cuts for the rich was going to "boom" the economy? lol

Oprah and Beyonce? They have a say on Gov't tax policy? I thought it was a Congress thing?

But Warren was on board with the Buffett rule, min 30% fed tax on $1,000,000+ incomes!

Last edited:
"Deficits dont matter"

wow leftard Dems really took cheney's ball and ran with it huh?

what point are you trying to make.; other than to embarrass yourself David42?

Ever.
I'm curious, do you support social welfare programs and maintaining them? Where do you stand on social security? Military spending?
I'm a retired vet, so I believe in a strong defense. However, there is no reason which explains why we are spending, in dollars adjusted for inflation, as much on defense today as we were in WWII. We are not in a world war. We are not under an existential threat like we were in the Cold War.

I support Social Security and Medicare, but I believe we should have raised the eligibility age to 70 a long time ago, and indexed it to 9 percent of the population. We are living longer, we should be working longer. Common sense.

Only 5.4% of the population was over 65 when Social Security was established. 9% were over 65 when Medicare was established. Today, 14% are over 65. This is unsustainable.

We need to go back to 9%.

Food stamps? Yes, I believe we should provide for the poor. Absolutely. This in no way means I think it is okay for someone to buy alcohol and steaks with an EBT card. I just don't believe it happens anywhere near the scale the gullible haters do.

The reason we are having economic problems in this country are directly related to Progressive policies.

When you punish business for operating here, they go elsewhere. When you make poverty a viable option for people, they choose it. The income gap is a result of left wing policies and in true left wing dishonesty, they cause it and point their fingers elsewhere.
Hilarious, when you refer to "punishment" you do realize corporations move on their own to get the cheapest labor, that's why we need a global movement to keep these corporations in check.

That isn't the only reason. Cheapest labor is only for companies that can use it. Nany companies need skilled workers and those cannot be found in Chinese sweatshops. Those companies go to where they aren't so regulated and taxed. N other words, where they don't get harshly punished.
Skilled workers exist all around the world, even tech companies are starting to rely on cheap labor from China and India to do programming and the like. Yeah, and where they aren't regulated and taxes, the workers suffer.

Bull. You are playing with words. I responded to his erroneous brief that the ONLY reason they are moving is for cheap labor. That is patently false.

This country has the highest tax rate on businesses in the entire world, increasing it still will punish them further and either drive more away or make it nearly impossible for people to create more business.

Starting a business in this country is already very difficult.

Weird, Obama proposed 3 years ago to cut Corp tax RATE from 35% to 28% and the GOP refused? HMM

Warren Buffett: ‘It Is A Myth’ That U.S. Corporate Taxes Are High

“Corporate taxes are not strangling American competitiveness,” Buffett explained, even bringing a chart to prove his point:

The interesting thing about the corporate rate is that corporate profits, as a percentage of GDP last year were the highest or just about the highest in the last 50 years. They were ten and a fraction percent of GDP. That’s higher than we’ve seen in 50 years. The corporate taxes as a percentage of GDP were 1.2 percent, $180 billion. That’s just about the lowest we’ve seen. So our corporate tax rate last year, effectively, in terms of taxes paid for the United States, was around 12 percent, which is well below those existing in most of the industrialized countries around the world. So it is a myth that American corporations are paying 35 percent or anything like itCorporate taxes are not strangling American competitiveness.

Warren Buffett: ‘It Is A Myth’ That U.S. Corporate Taxes Are High

It looks like President Barack Obama is making the tax proposal called the Buffett Rule (also known as the “Paying a Fair Share Act”) into a wedge issue. This weekend, the President was pushing the tax proposal, named after billionaire Warren Buffett, as a way to reduce the deficit. The pending legislation says anyone making more than $1 million a year should pay no less than 30% federal tax. Democrats are going to try to vote on the Buffett Rule this week, but it probably will not get very far in the Senate, and it is a non-starter in the Republican controlled House.
The reason why I say this is merely a “wedge issue” is because it will not do much to reduce the $15.6 trillion deficit. It will set up another totally false narrative that will not help the country. According to the Joint Committee on Taxation, which provides the official Congressional analysis of tax legislation, the Buffett Rule will only raise $4.7 billion a year over the next ten years. Mr. Buffett’s plan is nothing more than a proverbial drop in the bucket. Counting TARP, QE 1, QE 2 and the $16.1 trillion the Federal Reserve pumped out after the 2008 meltdown, we are well on our way to the $23.7 trillion Neil Barofsky, special inspector general for the Treasury’s Troubled Asset Relief Program, predicted the crisis would cost back in 2009. But, even that number, as big as it is, does not tell a complete story, and Mr. Buffett knows it.

Bernie and Ted are next door neighbors. They earn identical incomes. Their combined share of the federal budget is $1000, so by all rights they should each be paying $500 in taxes.

But Ted has participated in the government behavioral control programs by purchasing the right products, and so he gets to deduct $100 from his share of the tax burden.

Now the federal government is short $100. It has only received $900 from Bernie and Ted. We have a $100 deficit.

That deficit is going to either have to be borrowed from the Fed or China, or else it will have to be made up for by raising tax rates on everyone.

That's the system we are living under. People earning identical incomes paying radically different taxes, and deductions being paid for out of other people's pockets.

That's right, boys and girls, your tax deductions, credits, and exemptions are paid for with OPM. So whenever you whine about social programs being paid for with OPM, take a look in the mirror because tax expenditures add up to TWICE what we spend on social welfare.

your example is valid. Now, which party put those exemptions into the tax code? Hint: the party that has controlled congress for most of the last 75 years------------------------the dems.

Yeah, current tax policy goes back 75 years *shaking head*

Other companies Mr. Buffett invested in or owns include: American Express, Goldman Sachs, General Electric, JP Morgan, Wells Fargo and US Bankcorp. All of these companies have or continue to get financial help from taxpayers. If the government would not have stepped in and bailed out these companies (and others), Mr. Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway fund would have been decimated! Had there been no bailouts, no zero percent interest rates and no government sanctioned accounting fraud with the suspension of “mark to market” accounting by FASB in 2009, I’ll bet it would be difficult for Mr. Buffet to still be called the “Oracle of Omaha.” Party on, Mr. Buffett. Party on at the taxpayer expense. I think this is exactly what is meant by “privatize the profits and socialize the losses.” Of course, no one on financial TV would ever call Mr. Buffett out on this shame called the “Buffett Rule.”

The banks are continually being bailed out in many backdoor ways, and to be fair, neither party will say a word about it. The recent $25 billion “Robo signing/foreclosure fruad” settelement was a form of a bank bailout. Foreign bank bailouts are also American bank bailouts in disguise. Take Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, for instance. Taxpayers now own a 100% stake in these two failed mortgage giants. Last year, Fannie and Freddie either forgave or bought a total of nearly $200 billion in mortgage debt liability from Bank of America–alone. (I wrote about this before.) Let that sink in, and then consider Warren Buffet invested $5 billion, last year, into B of A at $7.14 a share. Friday, the stock price closed at $8.63 a share. If Buffett sold B of A today, he’d make about $750 million by my calculation. Give me a break! Would Mr. Buffett have invested the money into B of A if he knew the bailout party would stop? I think not. Why doesn’t Buffett talk about one of the real problems facing America and that is the continuing bailouts for billionaires! These bailouts have greatly contributed to the ballooning $15.6 trillion U.S. deficit. Now, there is talk of committing another $100 billion to Fannie and Freddie to add to the $170 billion already blown in backdoor banker bailouts. (Click here for more on that story.)

"Gimme gimme gimme, and make that guy over there pay for it."

Everyone wants a handout, but they don't want to pay for it.

That's how we got here, folks. It wasn't food stamps. It wasn't Obamaphones. It wasn't illegal aliens.

It is tax expenditures. And if you think $18 trillion of federal debt should be paid by someone else, then you are an asshole. You took, and now you must pay.

Weird, you mean the past 34 years of Reaganomics hasn't benefited US YET the top 1% has quadrupled their after tax incomes AS the US debt exploded?

Reagan's reduction of tax expenditures has been undone. Hugely undone. There has been a tax expenditure added to the tax code at the average of one a day for over ten years.

Did you even bother to look at all the charts I posted earlier in this topic?

You mean when Reagan gutted taxes (and revenues) on the rich while he upped taxes on the average worker? AS he upped the debt by 289%?

Yeah, thats it, attack the dead presidents. Reagan did not cause today's problems. Clinton, Bush, and Obama did.

Grow up and ditch the political bullshit.

Oh right sorry, in right wing world Ronnie was responsible for Clinton's booming economy but NONE of the debt created under his policies AND Obama inherited the economy Jan 20, 2009 and NONE of it fell on Duubya!

Forum List

Back