Should Detroit's municipal retirees lose their pensions?

It was a giant con game. I just wish the people running this would see jail time but to add insult to injury we will never see that.

oh i agree.... i would be very happy to toss every union employee in jail.....

[MENTION=18909]thanatos144[/MENTION].... so are you one of these people getting your pension yanked?

what makes you think anyone is happy about any of this?

understanding the problem, and dealing with..... *gasp* ...reality..... is not "happy" any of this is happening.

I feel very sorry for them.... but the free ride is over. They need to deal with that.
Thats the point their ride wasn't free. They worked for their pension. You know who is getting a free ride? Politicians and union executives.

they worked for an inflated union voted in or we are going to strike pension.... which is no longer feasible to pay.

oh... they were very happy when they voted in said politicians and union demands for more free benefits.....
I k now why this happened. I am not a idiot liberal. I just think believe it or not that the first pensions that should be taken away are those not yet retired. Then all the legislation pensions in that city and state. Then they sell everything not bolted down. Detroit should be liquidated. and then even after that we can start cutting the incomes of those retired and even then it should be top down. Scorched earth.

trust me... your "victims" did not think they were victims when they were voting unions and liberal freebies and more more more......
So you wouldn't want the best deal you can get???????? They were sold a bill of goods. Their greed was fanned by union leadership.

So basically they need to be given a pass and everyone else has to take the fall for it.

This is a zero sum game being played in detroit, barring any mircale growth and population recovery. You have to either cut money going out, or get more money coming in. As the tax base is already shot, the only way to ger more money in is via the state or feds, and thus the people and workers of detrioit get bailed out by the rest of us for thier own idiocy.

Then municipality after municipality will do the same thing. There will be no repercussions for spending and promising more than you are able to pay, until of course the final federal bill comes to tally and there is no level higher to then bail thier asses out.

and THAT is the funniest part!!

all of the people who want their Detroit pension check... have moved away....

decreasing the tax and revenue base to "pay" themselves that fat pension check.

It was a giant con game. I just wish the people running this would see jail time but to add insult to injury we will never see that.

[MENTION=18909]thanatos144[/MENTION].... so are you one of these people getting your pension yanked?

No nor is anyone in my family as far as I know. I just think it sets bad president.....If we cant honor these pensions will we honor our obligation to those who die and kill for us?

So you wouldn't want the best deal you can get???????? They were sold a bill of goods. Their greed was fanned by union leadership.

So basically they need to be given a pass and everyone else has to take the fall for it.

This is a zero sum game being played in detroit, barring any mircale growth and population recovery. You have to either cut money going out, or get more money coming in. As the tax base is already shot, the only way to ger more money in is via the state or feds, and thus the people and workers of detrioit get bailed out by the rest of us for thier own idiocy.

Then municipality after municipality will do the same thing. There will be no repercussions for spending and promising more than you are able to pay, until of course the final federal bill comes to tally and there is no level higher to then bail thier asses out.
What I want is for the American people to keep their word.

the "American people" did not make these promises...

detroit and the unions did.

the American people should not be made to bail them out and pay for any of it.

Thats the point their ride wasn't free. They worked for their pension. You know who is getting a free ride? Politicians and union executives.

they worked for an inflated union voted in or we are going to strike pension.... which is no longer feasible to pay.

oh... they were very happy when they voted in said politicians and union demands for more free benefits.....
I k now why this happened. I am not a idiot liberal. I just think believe it or not that the first pensions that should be taken away are those not yet retired. Then all the legislation pensions in that city and state. Then they sell everything not bolted down. Detroit should be liquidated. and then even after that we can start cutting the incomes of those retired and even then it should be top down. Scorched earth.

paying the union pensions.... is NOT scorched earth.

Again we have representatives that run our cities and states.....They are a extension of the american people....So promises made by them is like we making that promise....This is why electing the correct rep is important.

The problem is it wasnt the american people, it was the "people" of Detroit. In actuality it was the politicans of Detroit buying votes with pension promises they KNEW other people would have to worry about. They then compounded by not funding said pensions properly so they would be self sustaining. Look at other union type operations like construction. The unions themselves control the pensions, and thus make damn sure they get enough coming in to cover thier expenses.

But when the government runs them, politicans see it as a giant piggy bank, to be used to garner votes, and to be left for someone else to deal with it when the bill comes due.

The bills are now coming due, and no class of creditors should be allowed to take precedence over another.

We live in a republican.... Those politicians are an extension of us.

They are an extension of the political class these days, especially in local big city politics. Most run unopposed or nearly so, and thus think they can get away with whatever they want.

If your going to act the ass at least comprehend what I wrote. I only stated the fact what Michigan's constitution said and that we already know the pensions have been raped. Unlike you I dont see thins as a victory. No I see this as victims again getting harmed.

trust me... your "victims" did not think they were victims when they were voting unions and liberal freebies and more more more......

If its to good to be true. its to good to be true. The Unions and Detroit ran off 300,000 manufacturing jobs to Southern states... at the time they prolly said fuck them...

No nor is anyone in my family as far as I know. I just think it sets bad president.....If we cant honor these pensions will we honor our obligation to those who die and kill for us?

look around.... the military benefits are being cut on a daily basis.

They are promised obligations. You seem stuck on the union.

Again we have representatives that run our cities and states.....They are a extension of the american people....So promises made by them is like we making that promise....This is why electing the correct rep is important.

sorry..... you are wrong.

look around.... the military benefits are being cut on a daily basis.

Where?

So let me get this right.....Many of you feel it is a good thing for retired people to lose pensions promised to them from their employers namely us? Are we going to start doing this to soldiers and police and firemen?

If the cops were hired by affirmative action, then i say take their pensions too. AA hires stole the job and have no right to anything.

So let me get this right.....Many of you feel it is a good thing for retired people to lose pensions promised to them from their employers namely us? Are we going to start doing this to soldiers and police and firemen?

If the cops were hired by affirmative action, then i say take their pensions too. AA hires stole the job and have no right to anything.

Why the fuck would you being race in to this?

They are promised obligations. You seem stuck on the union.

and those obligations are now in bankruptcy.....

end of pensions....end of story.

You bet. Everyting will get cut except Congressional perks. Those will continue no matter who else takes a hit.

As for Detroit?

They made the bed now someone will have to pay. You can bet it won't be those who made all the fat cat deals. Those guys are gone and they took they're largess with em.

:clap2:

They worked for them and deserve the pensions.

No they didn't WORK for their pension. They were hired via affirmative action and can't even read and write. These bums never did a days work in all the years they were on the job. If anything they should be forced to return all the salary they received over the years. Anyone hired via AA in effect stole the job and have no right to anything.

I'm a native Detroiter yet I can't fight that hard for my hometown because I got the hell out of there in 1973 to live out my dream to be a cowboy out in Arizona. Whipped Larry Mahan in an arm-wrestling contest during Rodeo Days in Prescott and he was King of the Cowboys so there ya go...mission accomplished. :lol:

The way it stands now is the retirees have 6 months of continuing benefits coming as fair warning there will be cuts. These aren't "affirmative action" hires....most of these guys are former cops and firemen....cutting their pensions is a shit-bird trick and I'm opposed to it. Other retirees will have to face the music if it comes to that. A good idea I heard is for metro-Detroit proper to start selling off land on the cheap to raise money and reduce the need for far-ranging services.......it's a HUGE city landwise.....so sell as much land as you can to surrounding suburbs and everybody comes out ahead.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back