Should Detroit's municipal retirees lose their pensions?

Hey.. that's what happens when you screw around.

With that said, if they do lose them.. they should round up the politicians and prosecute the fuck out of them for fraud.

Detroit isn't alone. 36 different cities have had to declare bankruptcy for the very same reasons.

Crisis has put scrutiny on unholy alliance of politicians, unions - Sun Sentinel

If there's an upside to the budget crises that face so many states and municipalities, it's that they have put the spotlight on the unholy alliances between public employee unions and politicians.

The racket is a simple one: The unions provide campaign contributions from members' dues, and in exchange elected officials approve pay and benefit packages far out of proportion to those available in the private sector.

This is three years old. It was known what was going to happen way back then.

You celebrate a 70 year old woman who spent her life working as a secretary for the city of Detroit losing her pension?

How would you react if you were that woman?

She was hired by affirmative action and can't even read so she never did anything in her secretarial job. Why should we give her more money?

the "American people" did not make these promises...

detroit and the unions did.

the American people should not be made to bail them out and pay for any of it.
Again we have representatives that run our cities and states.....They are a extension of the american people....So promises made by them is like we making that promise....This is why electing the correct rep is important.

sorry..... you are wrong.

What do you think representative means?

You celebrate a 70 year old woman who spent her life working as a secretary for the city of Detroit losing her pension?

She was hired by affirmative action and can't even read so she never did anything in her secretarial job. Why should we give her more money?

So in your racist eyes this is all because they Might be black?

Again we have representatives that run our cities and states.....They are a extension of the american people....So promises made by them is like we making that promise....This is why electing the correct rep is important.

you are extending that to say.... the country must bail out what local politicians have done...

that is wrong.

They are not extensions of the "American people" ... they are extensions of the local corruption that elected them.

Work 35 years and have your pension pulled

Republican version of the American Dream

If you rob a bank, how much of it do you get to keep when the Law finally catches up to you?

I sincerely think it as an absolute tragedy. I hope the retirees don't lose their pensions. That being said, moving forward, neither Big Government nor Big Company (GM) can guarantee pensions and benefits at such levels. Any politician campaigning on such a promise would be negligent and irresponsible as we see in Detroit and some municipalities throughout California. These policies don't work.

Found it...

Detroit overstaffed compared to other cities | The Detroit News

bilde

Think about that.

Twice as many employees as the VERY affluent and VERY well-run Indianapolis.

More than any other City on the Chart except for the uber-rich, VERY tourist-oriented Sang Frang.

No, I'm NOT going to feel sorry for workers losing something they were stealing in the first place

a guy was a fireman for 30 years fought fires rescued people and he is stealing money?....fascinating.....

you are extending that to say.... the country must bail out what local politicians have done...

that is wrong.

They are not extensions of the "American people" ... they are extensions of the local corruption that elected them.

I am saying the STATE needs to pay its obligations. I am not saying the country needs to bail out Detroit.... It is lost . this isn't a federal issue but it is a state one. things will now have to change....We are seeing the end of unions. That is the ONLY good thing about this.

I blame whoever decided to let the japs sell cars in the USA....we can't sell them anything to this day yet they've buried not only Detroit, but everybody in the electronics, music instruments, small-displacement engines, motorcycles, and each and every other industry they drove under with predatory below-cost selling. A number of our trade reps during those years actually switched sides and represented the Nips......traitorous.
angry_zps189e41d9.png

Last edited:
Found it...

Detroit overstaffed compared to other cities | The Detroit News

bilde

Think about that.

Twice as many employees as the VERY affluent and VERY well-run Indianapolis.

More than any other City on the Chart except for the uber-rich, VERY tourist-oriented Sang Frang.

No, I'm NOT going to feel sorry for workers losing something they were stealing in the first place

a guy was a fireman for 30 years fought fires rescued people and he is stealing money?....fascinating.....

They were not properly contribtuing into thier pension funds, and the politicans were not providing enough funding at the time to cover the future costs.

The stealing is on the part of the politican who KNEW this was going to happen 20 years down the road.

Lots of talk about doing that and i say go for it. These were all affirmative action hires and didn't deserve the job in the first place.

Absolutely. This is an important battle in the War Against American Workers. The GOP can win a key victory here.

I wouldn't call them "Affirmative Action" hires.

"Political Hires"? Hell yeah.

But I wouldn't introduce race into the equation.

These were political hires.

You hire people that will work for the same thing you're working for -- Getting re-elected.

Because if you don't get re-elected, all the people you hired might very well get layed off.

Couldn't have that.

I wouldn't go so far as to introduce race, it's dimocrap scum being dimocrap scum. That they happened to be mostly Black is a coincidence.

Know much about Boston Politics?

Same thing, except they're not Black.

dimocraps are scumbag, thieving, lying, robbing, corrupt motherfuckers no matter what color they are. No matter where they are.
the garbage man was a political hire?.... :eusa_eh:

that is wrong.

I am saying the STATE needs to pay its obligations. I am not saying the country needs to bail out Detroit.... It is lost . this isn't a federal issue but it is a state one. things will now have to change....We are seeing the end of unions. That is the ONLY good thing about this.

the state did not make these promises..... Detroit did.

Why should the entire state have to pay for the mistakes of Detroit?

that is wrong.

the state did not make these promises..... Detroit did.

Why should the entire state have to pay for the mistakes of Detroit?

It doesn't matter it is still a state responsibility.

The unions bled the auto makers dry, now they are bleeding cities dry. Unions are leeches that eventually kill off the host.

Bullshit....the UAW got safe working condiitions, training programs so a guy on the line could learn multiple skills, and yeah, make a decent living so he could buy his own house and send his kids to college. That's how it's supposed to work in the USA. If you've never walked through the gate into an auto plant every morning for years, you have no business talking shit about the UAW.

The unions bled the auto makers dry, now they are bleeding cities dry. Unions are leeches that eventually kill off the host.

Bullshit....the UAW got safe working condiitions, training programs so a guy on the line could learn multiple skills, and yeah, make a decent living so he could buy his own house and send his kids to college. That's how it's supposed to work in the USA. If you've never walked through the gate into an auto plant every morning for years, you have no business talking shit about the UAW.

can you walk into an auto and work..... and NOT be a paying union member?

So let me get this right.....Many of you feel it is a good thing for retired people to lose pensions promised to them from their employers namely us? Are we going to start doing this to soldiers and police and firemen?

If the cops were hired by affirmative action, then i say take their pensions too. AA hires stole the job and have no right to anything.

You really need to get your race lens off. It's keeping you from seeing reality.

Contract law is not simple, and since the parsimonious callous conservatives don't care about others, popular opinion is that those government workers who toiled for decades should be denied the fruits of their labor. I have no doubt that the Tea Party Members of Congress would happily revoke and declare null and void all contracts which included pensions for those working and those already retired. Of course as Congress does, that would not include their own.

Taking from others is a simple solution for simple minds, such minds have proven such on this thread (and many others). The reality is they too will suffer. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the consequences of such a policy; those who actually think about the impact of such a policy understands its impact.

So let me get this right.....Many of you feel it is a good thing for retired people to lose pensions promised to them from their employers namely us? Are we going to start doing this to soldiers and police and firemen?

If the cops were hired by affirmative action, then i say take their pensions too. AA hires stole the job and have no right to anything.

Why the fuck would you being race in to this?

Because he is an open racist. He lets race cloud his view on life for some reason.

Forum List

Back