Should Gerrymandering be Banned?

Gerrymandering is born out of redistricting...part of politics. Happens all the time. Grow up. You better talk to your high school civics teacher tomorrow in class.

No, gerrymandering is perverting the redistricting process.
Win state elections then. Party politics goes all the way down to grassroots. It’s bottom up. Democrats think it’s top down. They will lose more seats on 2018. Platform puts them too far to the left of average Americans.

The problem is when gerrymandering is so extreme it essentially entrenches one political party. It has nothing to do with being too far left or right. And a key difference between previous electoral maps and todays is the ability to use Big Data tools and computers to create maps that essentially entench one party making it almost impossible for the other to gain seats. This is niether healthy nor does do anything to help regional intetests. Instead it is more likely to further national party interests over regional.
There is no fairness in politics. It’s a zero sum game. You go too far left or right...other party takes over. Power is simply transferred.

Not when it comes to gerrymandering - it's not a matter of too far it's a matter of keeping control even when your party's out of favor.

It's close to fraud.
Then break it. You mean to tell me that California that is almost 70% Democrats should modify for fairness? You mean that Alabama that is 70% Republicans should modify?

No, gerrymandering is perverting the redistricting process.
Win state elections then. Party politics goes all the way down to grassroots. It’s bottom up. Democrats think it’s top down. They will lose more seats on 2018. Platform puts them too far to the left of average Americans.

The problem is when gerrymandering is so extreme it essentially entrenches one political party. It has nothing to do with being too far left or right. And a key difference between previous electoral maps and todays is the ability to use Big Data tools and computers to create maps that essentially entench one party making it almost impossible for the other to gain seats. This is niether healthy nor does do anything to help regional intetests. Instead it is more likely to further national party interests over regional.
There is no fairness in politics. It’s a zero sum game. You go too far left or right...other party takes over. Power is simply transferred.

Not when it comes to gerrymandering - it's not a matter of too far it's a matter of keeping control even when your party's out of favor.

It's close to fraud.
Then break it. You mean to tell me that California that is almost 70% Democrats should modify for fairness? You mean that Alabama that is 70% Republicans should modify?

Yes. And btw, fairness doesn't mean 50/50.

It's close to fraud.

Democracy is not designed to be fair to everyone. Majority rule...but...in United States...we preserve minority rights.

I see it as another check that states, the state parties, and the people have over the dangerous federal government. Keep the practice.
Why the North Carolina redistricting ruling could end gerrymandering as we know it - CNNPolitics

Yes it should be banned. It is an attack on our voting rights.
No...it is not. When were you denied the right to vote?

It of course is. The politicians move things around and pick the winners, not the people.

They've said districts can't be intentionally drawn to preclude the election of minorities
And what exactly do you see wrong with that ruling?

If Republicans were INTENTIONALLY drawing lines to preclude the election of minorities, then that is PURE EVIL.....

It's close to fraud.

Democracy is not designed to be fair to everyone. Majority rule...but...in United States...we preserve minority rights.

Actually I think majority rule is fair and democratic with a constitutional democracy that guarantees rights of minorities. However when you carve up those minority communities (whether by race or political party) so that you eat away at what little representation they do have becomes undemocratic and infringes on the rights of those minorities.

I see it as another check that states, the state parties, and the people have over the dangerous federal government. Keep the practice.
Why the North Carolina redistricting ruling could end gerrymandering as we know it - CNNPolitics

It of course is. The politicians move things around and pick the winners, not the people.
So when were you turned away at a polling place?

It's close to fraud.

Actually I think majority rule is fair and democratic with a constitutional democracy that guarantees rights of minorities. However when you carve up those minority communities (whether by race or political party) so that you eat away at what little representation they do have becomes undemocratic and infringes on the rights of those minorities.
Oh....you tire me out...how are they based on race? If 90% of Blacks are Democrats how can that be helped? Geezus...fucking race card...is that all you got? It’s tiresome to listen to this broken record.

So when were you turned away at a polling place?

It without a doubt damages voting rights. You want the politicians picking the winners?

It's close to fraud.

Oh....you tire me out...how are they based on race? If 90% of Blacks are Democrats how can that be helped? Geezus...fucking race card...is that all you got? It’s tiresome to listen to this broken record.

When you cut a large black populace into pieces and contain those tiny pieces into larger white populated areas. It's called cracking, look into it.

There is no way to draw district lines in a way that doesn't favor one side over the other.

Gerrymandering is a problem without a solution.

Naturally drawing districts is going to favor the majority, however when you divide up the minorities populations so that they are absorbed by the majority then it's undemocratic.

When you cut a large black populace into pieces and contain those tiny pieces into larger white populated areas. It's called cracking, look into it.
What happens when whites do it to whites in Utah? What the fuck are talking about. Blacks are no more affected by gerrymandering than any other ethnic group. Democrats gerrymander to produce black districts and maintain black districts.

There is no way to draw district lines in a way that doesn't favor one side over the other.

Naturally drawing districts is going to favor the majority, however when you divide up the minorities populations so that they are absorbed by the majority then it's undemocratic.

What is "naturally"?

I don't disagree that particularly egregious gerrymandering should go to the courts - and it does - but at it's root, it's a political inevitability.

Dude I’m out. This race shit is not supported and just plain dumb. Nice talking to ya Maxine Waters.

Forum List

Back