Should Gerrymandering be Banned?

States drawing up congressional districts is in the Constitution and is a check on potential federal abuse of power. Liberals like to force their values on rest of nation from afar with a central authority...like Moscow...Beijing...Pyongyang...Tehran..

OMG, you really don't know what gerrymandering is, do you? And you're so god damned sure of your idiotic opinion that you haven't bothered to look into it further. What a tool.
You can’t come to grips that it currently legal as a beagle can you?

The USSC has approved gerrymandered maps and it's also chosen not to get involved when a state supreme court ruled that gerrymandered maps went against that states constitution.

It's certainly undemocratic and leads to one of the biggest problems we have in Congress in that most congressional districts are not competitive and therefore we get the same clowns being reelected for decades.

States drawing up congressional districts is in the Constitution and is a check on potential federal abuse of power. Liberals like to force their values on rest of nation from afar with a central authority...like Moscow...Beijing...Pyongyang...Tehran..

OMG, you really don't know what gerrymandering is, do you? And you're so god damned sure of your idiotic opinion that you haven't bothered to look into it further. What a tool.
Yes...it’s constitutional.

What is your definition of gerrymandering?
“Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union...” redistricting is left up to the states. Elections have consequences. In those states where majority wants to skew it their way...good for them. If they want a commission or panel...sure. But keep the power of Congressional districts in the hands of the states. If they want to gerrymander...so be it.

Just as I thought, you're conflating redistricting with gerrymandering. You should go back to whatever shithole you got your poli-sci degree from and demand a refund.
Educate yourself dip shit. Gerrymandering born out of redistricting and is alive and well in United States at federal and state levels. Fuck your dumb.
Gerrymandering, Where to Draw the Line? - The Legal Edition

“Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union...” redistricting is left up to the states. Elections have consequences. In those states where majority wants to skew it their way...good for them. If they want a commission or panel...sure. But keep the power of Congressional districts in the hands of the states. If they want to gerrymander...so be it.

Just as I thought, you're conflating redistricting with gerrymandering. You should go back to whatever shithole you got your poli-sci degree from and demand a refund.
Gerrymandering is born out of redistricting...part of politics. Happens all the time. Grow up. You better talk to your high school civics teacher tomorrow in class.

No, gerrymandering is perverting the redistricting process.

The USSC has approved gerrymandered maps and it's also chosen not to get involved when a state supreme court ruled that gerrymandered maps went against that states constitution.

It's certainly undemocratic and leads to one of the biggest problems we have in Congress in that most congressional districts are not competitive and therefore we get the same clowns being reelected for decades.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh....so your the one that did not understand what gerrymandering is.

Educate yourself dip shit. Gerrymandering born out of redistricting and is alive and well in United States at federal and state levels. Fuck your dumb.

Gerrymandering is perverting redistricting and you are now conflating common with fair. A democracy does not work when the majority party bends the rules to it's own favor.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh....so your the one that did not understand what gerrymandering is.

Where did you get that from?

Gerrymandering is born out of redistricting...part of politics. Happens all the time. Grow up. You better talk to your high school civics teacher tomorrow in class.

Win state elections then. Party politics goes all the way down to grassroots. It’s bottom up. Democrats think it’s top down. They will lose more seats on 2018. Platform puts them too far to the left of average Americans.

You said I was confusing redistricting with gerrymandering...they go hand-in-hand. It’s part of politics and has been since Eldridge Gerry.

Win state elections then. Party politics goes all the way down to grassroots. It’s bottom up. Democrats think it’s top down. They will lose more seats on 2018. Platform puts them too far to the left of average Americans.

It's difficult to win state elections when the thumb is on the scale in favor of the party in power. Should be pretty obvious that gerrymandering is bad for democracy.

As a citizen, Gerrymandering dilutes or intensifies my own vote, my one man, one vote....what right do congress critters have to take away the power of one man, one vote?

They are silencing the vote of the people, through gerrymandering.

When you have a state that has 3 million voters, and 2 million of the 3 million vote for Democrats, and the Republicans end up winning 60% of the opened seats with just 33% of the people's vote ...due to the way they have gerrymandered the district, then they are STEALING the power of our one man, one vote...from us, the citizen.
States gerrymandering...states rights...check on federal power. Power comes from the states...
And the State government does not have the power to take your or my vote, away from me/us, through their illegal gerrymandering.
Yes...they do...my State enhances my Congressional delegation the way I like it because of gerrymandering. I think it’s great. My party controls both houses of state legislature. I think it’s great.
Well, it's unconstitutional, in many cases, so that makes YOU unamerican and a thief... :rolleyes:

You said I was confusing redistricting with gerrymandering...they go hand-in-hand. It’s part of politics and has been since Eldridge Gerry.

Oh, look someone finally googled 'gerrymandering', congratulations, idiot.

Redistricting and gerrymandering go hand in hand like baby and bathwater.

It's difficult to win state elections when the thumb is on the scale in favor of the party in power. Should be pretty obvious that gerrymandering is bad for democracy.
Why is that party in power in that state? Will of the people. It’s more about urban areas vs. rural areas.

Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha...I googled it...ha,ha,ha,ha,ha....

Yes, you did. You obviously didn't know that gerrymandering had a negative connotation to it and then you came back with the unimportant fact of who gerrymandering was named after to try to cover for yourself. I'm guessing Wikipedia.

Yes, you did. You obviously didn't know that gerrymandering had a negative connotation to it and then you came back with the unimportant fact of who gerrymandering was named after to try to cover for yourself. I'm guessing Wikipedia.
Sure it has a negative connotation attached to it...BUT ITS LEGAL and part of politics.

I see it as another check that states, the state parties, and the people have over the dangerous federal government. Keep the practice.
Why the North Carolina redistricting ruling could end gerrymandering as we know it - CNNPolitics

How is it a check on state parties? It allows them to effectively end competition.

I say end it - both parties abuse it hugely.
Its a way for the states to check the Fed. Better re-read what I posted.

Yes, but how do we find non partisan people to set the districts up?
There are computer programs, algorithms that have been developed, that can reset district lines with the same amount of people in each district....that are not calculated in a partisan manner.

That would shrink the number minority representatives in the US House.
Alteady been proven. Again, the looney left needs to read Shaw v. Reno

Forum List

Back