Should morals be taught in school? (Ethics is taught in college)

some kids are not

they should be exposed to such at school if only bc their classmates have been (some)

in other words, no one is fully educated who doesn't know... things like the essentials of the BIBLE (accepted by Jews, Catholics and Protestants, albeit all the varied interpretations... )
Not the school's place to teach religion, religious disciplines, the ancient stories, parables, and texts of religion as a required course, unless it is a private religious school sponsored by a religion. While I agree, you are not full educated, unless you have at least a passing familiarity. It is not the public schools place, needing to devote their time to reading, english, math, science, history, computer literacy, economics/business and things to prepare for higher studies and studying or learning on their own.

Not the school's place to teach religion, religious disciplines, the ancient stories, parables, and texts of religion as a required course, unless it is a private religious school sponsored by a religion. While I agree, you are not full educated, unless you have at least a passing familiarity. It is not the public schools place, needing to devote their time to reading, english, math, science, history, computer literacy, economics/business and things to prepare for higher studies and studying or learning on their own.
They do it all the time. The very concept of fairness is a moral argument.

The story of Christianity is the story of how modern western society was created including our own.

They are inseparable.

That includes such things as the end of slavery as it was Christians who spawned the abolitionist movement and pushed it hard until slavery was driven out of the western world.

Our own nation would not have existed without it.

Which teacher taught you that?
Fairness by definition is a question of morality and philosophy.

To me, "Fairness" is a flat tax for all, everyone pays the same rate no matter what.

To democrats "Fairness is using the tax code to take money from the "wealthy" to redistribute among the lower classes.

Equality to me is everyone has the same opportunity to succeed as long as they work hard and follow the rules.

To a democrat equality is changing the rules to punish success and reward failure.

The story of Christianity is the story of how modern western society was created including our own.

They are inseparable.

That includes such things as the end of slavery as it was Christians who spawned the abolitionist movement and pushed it hard until slavery was driven out of the western world.

Our own nation would not have existed without it.
Either taught in the home, the church or at a cost of Ten Grand a semester at a good religion based university, if you choose to attend.
I was raise correctly, but that also means I would not want people like you to turn this country from a Democratically elected representative republic where freedom of religion and from religion is cherished, to some denomination or sect's idea of a theocracy, where religion is inserted into all aspects of education, government and workplace. We have freedom of religion and that by definition also grant those who want it freedom from religion. That is why it is not taught in public schools and does not need to be, except by an elective high school level course, if you can find the money in the budget in your school district.

Last edited:
The teacher of common sense. Just about every argument you make is effectively a moral argument. Just look at your posting history.
And you think I learned it and adopted my way of looking at things primarily from school? I didn't.

And you think I learned it and adopted my way of looking at things primarily from school? I didn't.
That's not what I am saying. I am telling you that morals are taught in school. The concept of fairness is a moral argument.

we have a set of moral guidelines. The 10 commandments.

Romans 2:14-15 NLT​

Even Gentiles, who do not have God’s written law, show that they know his law when they instinctively obey it, even without having heard it. [15] They demonstrate that God’s law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right.

Either taught in the home, the church or at a cost of Ten Grand a semester at a good religion based university, if you choose to attend.
I was raise correctly, but that also means I would not want people like you to turn this country from a Democratically elected representative republic where freedom of religion and from religion is cherished, to some denomination or sect's idea of a theocracy, where religion is inserted into all aspects of education, government and workplace. We have freedom of religion and that by definition also grant those who want it freedom from religion. That is why it is not taught in public schools and does not need to be, except by an elective high school level course, if you can find the money in the budget in your school district.
We were told liberal education was the best to open minds. It is not happening the way we were told but maybe the way it was designed.

That's not what I am saying. I am telling you that morals are taught in school. The concept of fairness is a moral argument.
True, to a minor extent. But, it is more like kids getting it (if they get it) by osmosis from observation of good teachers going about their job, than classes in early school education, and very minorly at that. The overall effects on the child are low. If the school teaching it is your plan, rather than taking responsibility to make sure your kids get it, you are probably raising a future, politician, lawyer or criminal.

True, to a minor extent. But, it is more like kids getting it (if they get it) by osmosis from observation of good teachers going about their job, than classes in early school education, and very minorly at that. The overall effects on the child are low. If the school teaching it is your plan, rather than taking responsibility to make sure your kids get it, you are probably raising a future, politician, lawyer or criminal.
I disagree. They have the kids for 8 hours a day 5 days a week 270 days a year for 12 years.

By the time a kid gets to college and takes an Ethics class, it is too late to form the child w/ proper morals and ethics... Well, I suppose it may not be too late for all students but for many, it is because they have already been formed by bad parents... parents who let their kids do whatever t hey want, have whatever t hey want... disrespect anyone they want...

hard to teach someone already set in his ways something different

but yeh... Schools teach all kinds of dumbass stuff these days but not morals... or religion... World Religions should not just be a college class...

They're taught whether we intend for them to be or not.

We were told liberal education was the best to open minds. It is not happening the way we were told but maybe the way it was designed.
That needs a quote link. Told by who? Told when? How come they didn't tell me. How come they didn't tell my parents or my grandparents. If somebody told you something like that, why were you so dumb, that you listened and acted in reliance. Some of you people are like really, really easy.

Public schools teaching morals. What could go wrong?

No, they should not. It would be nice if they just focused on getting better at teaching the core subjects.

Forum List

Back