Should our laws allow authorities to charge this woman?

Ray From Cleveland

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2015
ASHEVILLE, N.C. -- When Christine Braswell found a man breaking into her SUV in a Walmart parking lot in North Carolina, she chased him. When the 26-year-old couldn't catch him, she jumped behind the wheel -- and what happened next is scary and disturbing to watch.

Editor's note: Video contains graphic content.

"She slammed on her brakes, crammed it in reverse, and ran over the median there in between and hit him in the back. I mean she, just he was running and she just flat hit him," said witness Janice Kelley.

Witnesses told WLOS the man who was hit was allegedly going through Braswell's belongings in her red-orange Ford Explorer.

"When I walked out of Walmart, he had her purse and was pulling all of her stuff out then me and my friend told him to put it down and what are you doing. She stopped and he ran off and then she came up behind him and hit him with her car," said witness Blake Bennett.

Asheville police told WLOS the man escaped with minor injuries. Police are charging Robert Raines with breaking and entering, larceny, and damage to property.

Braswell is facing an assault with a deadly weapon charge.

Pregnant woman runs over suspected purse thief in Walmart parking lot

Yes, it contains a video of the guy getting run over.

Now that Republicans have the power, perhaps it's time they write more laws for victims of crime. Much like they did with Concealed Carry laws in various states, law abiding citizens should have more rights than criminals.

This pregnant woman took off after a guy that robbed her of her purse. IMO, she had every right to stop him no matter how. Now she's being charged with assault with a deadly weapon.

If you were on a jury, how would you vote on this case, guilty or not guilty?

ASHEVILLE, N.C. -- When Christine Braswell found a man breaking into her SUV in a Walmart parking lot in North Carolina, she chased him. When the 26-year-old couldn't catch him, she jumped behind the wheel -- and what happened next is scary and disturbing to watch.

"She slammed on her brakes, crammed it in reverse, and ran over the median there in between and hit him in the back. I mean she, just he was running and she just flat hit him," said witness Janice Kelley.

Witnesses told WLOS the man who was hit was allegedly going through Braswell's belongings in her red-orange Ford Explorer.

"When I walked out of Walmart, he had her purse and was pulling all of her stuff out then me and my friend told him to put it down and what are you doing. She stopped and he ran off and then she came up behind him and hit him with her car," said witness Blake Bennett.

Asheville police told WLOS the man escaped with minor injuries. Police are charging Robert Raines with breaking and entering, larceny, and damage to property.

Now that Republicans have the power, perhaps it's time they write more laws for victims of crime. Much like they did with Concealed Carry laws in various states, law abiding citizens should have more rights than criminals.

This pregnant woman took off after a guy that robbed her of her purse. IMO, she had every right to stop him no matter how. Now she's being charged with assault with a deadly weapon.

She should absolutely be allowed to be charged. At this point, as far as our legal system is concerned, both of those people are innocent of any wrongdoing (or at least, that's the theory).

I'd need to know the relevant law before I could say how I might vote if I were on a jury. Assuming she did, in fact, break the law, I might vote for her to be guilty but recommend a light sentence, if possible.

He was running away, posed no immediate threat, guilty. Of course that is dependent on the pertinent laws of the state...

Seriously, does what he did warrant death? Because she could have easily killed the little shit stain. He definitely deserves a serious beat down, but not with the front bumper of an SUV...

He was running away, posed no immediate threat, guilty. Of course that is dependent on the pertinent laws of the state...

Seriously, does what he did warrant death? Because she could have easily killed the little shit stain. He definitely deserves a serious beat down, but not with the front bumper of an SUV...
1) He wasn't killed, but bumped.
2) I know you are defending a fellow Democrat, but he was a criminal fleeing a crime.

The problem is she was not in fear of harm. This means she premeditated the attack on him. Could be assault with a deadly weapon.

Her course of action once the initial chase ended (A reasonable person would conclude that if someone snatched something from you, you'd go after it) was to dial 911 and then to follow the suspect in aid to the police.

The law in most states clearly reads you have the right to use only that force necessary to ensure that your safety. Sometimes that means deadly force, but often it means you go until you have neutralized the threat.

I would have to take a hard look at the law. How hard did she hit him? How fast was she going? Did she try to kill him or just stop him and went too far. Don't know how I would rule.

Did the OP just say we need to rewrite our laws to say that running people over should be legal?

posed no immediate threat,

of course he did

he posed a threat to her income

and perhaps credit

plus other things

she stopped it

The problem is she was not in fear of harm. This means she premeditated the attack on him......
Seriously? You think pregnancy makes a woman psychic?....or do you think she's a psycho who set up a trap for this poor Democrat to be tempted into breaking into her car and rifling through her purse just so she could try to murder him?

Police: Woman charged after hitting thief with vehicle
According to the police report, Christine Marie Braswell, of Canton, saw Robert Edward Raines, 34, of Leicester, rummaging through her purse in the parking lot of the Bleachery Boulevard Wal-Mart.

When Braswell confronted Raines he fled the scene, so she proceeded to get in her 1999 Ford Explorer and hit Raines, according to police.

Mission Hospital treated Raines for minor injuries, police spokesman Wally Welch said in an email.

Raines is charged with breaking and entering, larceny and damage to property.

636343281879505797-raines.PNG

Look. We all hate thieves . But really, leathal force ?

Say your stupid kid steals a neighbors garden nome as a prank . The neighbor should be allowed to shoot him dead?

1) He wasn't killed, but bumped.
2) I know you are defending a fellow Democrat, but he was a criminal fleeing a crime.

Yeah, I'm not a Democrat. Nice ASSumption. I wasn't defending anyone, I said he was a shit stain in need of a serious beat down. He should also be incarcerated for as long as the law will allow. With any luck the cretin is a habitual offender.

It was a pretty serious "bump" and unnecessary.

I would imagine her attorney might even go for some type of emotional reaction of just stopping a thief and her ire got in the way and over reacted. Should be an interesting case to follow.

Forum List

Back