Should The Rich Be Required To Pay Higher Taxes In the US?

So NO you can't refute FACTS that Ronnie increased the capital gains tax rate to 28%, same as earned wages! How the fuk could the economy work? Hell Ronnie had a TOP rate of 50% the first 6 years Bubba, how could the economy function at those levels? lol

Economy functions regardless of policy... idiot.

Yes, Reagan signed the bill presented to him by a Democrat Congress where he agreed to increase the cap gains tax rate from 20% to 28% temporarily. His reasoning was, it was better to compromise here in order to reduce the top marginal income tax rates from 50% to 28%. He didn't LIKE it... it wasn't what HE wanted to do... he had to work with the Congress he was dealt, which was controlled by the opposing party.

GOP Senate Bubs, weird though how the top tax rate of 50% the first 6 years of Ronnie THEN increasing capital gains taxes to the same as EARNED income 28% the last 2 years, seems like there can be ZERO correlation with how tax rates effect the economy right Bubs?

I mean in right wing world view, how the fuk could that commie Reagan have had a successful economy?

PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE show me Ronnie "increase the cap gains tax rate from 20% to 28% temporarily"

Oh, sorry... I forget that I am talking to an imbecile who has to have every little detail explained to him on a kindergarten level. Reagan's original proposal in 1985 called for a cut in capital gains tax. The eventual increase was the result of an amendment added to gain Democrat votes and get the bill passed. Reagan also eliminated long term capital gains for corporations. He also added an "alternative tax" which somewhat mitigated the modest increase in capital gains tax.

Let's also remember, he reduced capital gains tax from 25% to 20% in 1981. When he originally unveiled his 1985 tax plan, he called for capital gains to be cut to 17.5%. He said, "To marshal more venture capital for new industries–the kind of efforts that begin with a couple of partners setting out to create and develop a new product–we intend to lower the maximum capital-gains tax rate to 17-1/2 percent."

So... The "Reagan tax plan" was always to reduce capital gains taxes. It's when his plan hit the Senate that liberal republican Bob Packwood negotiated a deal to get the tax cuts Reagan wanted on top marginal income in exchange for raising the capital gains taxes to the same as "regular income" ...but Reagan wasn't happy about it. He reluctantly signed the bill in order to get the huge reduction in top marginal rates, but he spent the remainder of his presidency calling for reduction or elimination of capital gains taxes and estate tax.

When I said "temporarily" it wasn't meant to imply the tax law had some built in time bomb... I meant from a philosophical standpoint. Reagan NEVER wanted to increase capital gains tax.

yes, the wealthiest should pay taxes according to worth under Any form of capitalism.

But we don't tax wealth in America.
We do, just not at the federal level. I pay property taxes every year for the privilege of "owning" a house and a car. The more valuable the house and car, the higher the taxes.

Sorry, you are giving an example of taxation on real property assets, not actual wealth. I can be super-wealthy and not own a car or house. I can live in a state or rural area with virtually no property tax.

Again-- We do not tax people according to their worth! Morons like danielPOS assume that people who earn large incomes are wealthy and their income is indicative of their wealth. This is simply not true... great propaganda... works really good to get abject morons all riled up and envious... but just not remotely true.

Trump (of all people) has suggested we have a one time "wealth tax" to generate revenue. I happen to think he may run into some Constitutional issues with that. The 4th Amendment prohibits the government from confiscating your property... wealth is part of your property.

"Sorry, you are giving an example of taxation on real property assets, not actual wealth. I can be super-wealthy and not own a car or house. I can live in a state or rural area with virtually no property tax. "

YOU AND YOUR NUTTY FUKKN "THEORIES" BUBBA, GROW UP AND GROW A BRAIN!

yes, the wealthiest should pay taxes according to worth under Any form of capitalism.

That SMALL sliver at the top paying estate taxes would disagree Bubs

LMAOoo... Probably not... since they are DEAD!

Estate taxes are levied on the net value of the estate of a deceased person before distribution to the heirs.

Weird, so estates taxes DON'T touch the wealthy? REALLY Bubba? Hint, yes it's the ESTATES of the dead, NOT those inheriting it... THAT IS A TAX ON WEALTH DUMMY!

So NO you can't refute FACTS that Ronnie increased the capital gains tax rate to 28%, same as earned wages! How the fuk could the economy work? Hell Ronnie had a TOP rate of 50% the first 6 years Bubba, how could the economy function at those levels? lol

Economy functions regardless of policy... idiot.

Yes, Reagan signed the bill presented to him by a Democrat Congress where he agreed to increase the cap gains tax rate from 20% to 28% temporarily. His reasoning was, it was better to compromise here in order to reduce the top marginal income tax rates from 50% to 28%. He didn't LIKE it... it wasn't what HE wanted to do... he had to work with the Congress he was dealt, which was controlled by the opposing party.

GOP Senate Bubs, weird though how the top tax rate of 50% the first 6 years of Ronnie THEN increasing capital gains taxes to the same as EARNED income 28% the last 2 years, seems like there can be ZERO correlation with how tax rates effect the economy right Bubs?

I mean in right wing world view, how the fuk could that commie Reagan have had a successful economy?

PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE show me Ronnie "increase the cap gains tax rate from 20% to 28% temporarily"

Oh, sorry... I forget that I am talking to an imbecile who has to have every little detail explained to him on a kindergarten level. Reagan's original proposal in 1985 called for a cut in capital gains tax. The eventual increase was the result of an amendment added to gain Democrat votes and get the bill passed. Reagan also eliminated long term capital gains for corporations. He also added an "alternative tax" which somewhat mitigated the modest increase in capital gains tax.

Let's also remember, he reduced capital gains tax from 25% to 20% in 1981. When he originally unveiled his 1985 tax plan, he called for capital gains to be cut to 17.5%. He said, "To marshal more venture capital for new industries–the kind of efforts that begin with a couple of partners setting out to create and develop a new product–we intend to lower the maximum capital-gains tax rate to 17-1/2 percent."

So... The "Reagan tax plan" was always to reduce capital gains taxes. It's when his plan hit the Senate that liberal republican Bob Packwood negotiated a deal to get the tax cuts Reagan wanted on top marginal income in exchange for raising the capital gains taxes to the same as "regular income" ...but Reagan wasn't happy about it. He reluctantly signed the bill in order to get the huge reduction in top marginal rates, but he spent the remainder of his presidency calling for reduction or elimination of capital gains taxes and estate tax.

When I said "temporarily" it wasn't meant to imply the tax law had some built in time bomb... I meant from a philosophical standpoint. Reagan NEVER wanted to increase capital gains tax.

Says the Klown who didn't understand WHY Ronnie agreed to increasing cap gains to the same rates as labor? Weird Bubba

I get Ronnie "philosophically' was opposed to increasing cap gains taxes. But did

Ronnie "philosophically' was opposed to arming terrorists, BUT DID

Ronnie "philosophically' was opposed to running from terrorists, BUT DID

Ronnie "philosophically' was opposed to going against the US Constitutions in Iran/Contra, BUT DID

Ronnie "philosophically' was opposed to abortions, but NEVER actually made it a priority as Prez AND signed the most liberal abortion law in the nation as Guv of Cali

See how it works Bubba, no matter what you"philosophically" are pushing, your actions count!!!

We do, just not at the federal level. I pay property taxes every year for the privilege of "owning" a house and a car. The more valuable the house and car, the higher the taxes.

Sorry, you are giving an example of taxation on real property assets, not actual wealth. I can be super-wealthy and not own a car or house. I can live in a state or rural area with virtually no property tax.

Again-- We do not tax people according to their worth! Morons like danielPOS assume that people who earn large incomes are wealthy and their income is indicative of their wealth. This is simply not true... great propaganda... works really good to get abject morons all riled up and envious... but just not remotely true.

Trump (of all people) has suggested we have a one time "wealth tax" to generate revenue. I happen to think he may run into some Constitutional issues with that. The 4th Amendment prohibits the government from confiscating your property... wealth is part of your property.

"Sorry, you are giving an example of taxation on real property assets, not actual wealth. I can be super-wealthy and not own a car or house. I can live in a state or rural area with virtually no property tax. "

No "theory" about this... We do not tax wealth in the United States. Period! We tax estates when someone dies... we tax property someone owns... we apply a luxury tax to what someone purchases... we tax dividends and earned income... but we simply do not tax wealth.

No "theory" about this... We do not tax wealth in the United States. Period! We tax estates when someone dies... we tax property someone owns... we apply a luxury tax to what someone purchases... we tax dividends and earned income... but we simply do not tax wealth.
Sounds like we should.

Says the Klown who didn't understand WHY Ronnie agreed to increasing cap gains to the same rates as labor? Weird Bubba

I get Ronnie "philosophically' was opposed to increasing cap gains taxes. But did

Ronnie "philosophically' was opposed to going against the US Constitutions in Iran/Contra, BUT DID

Ronnie "philosophically' was opposed to abortions, but NEVER actually made it a priority as Prez AND signed the most liberal abortion law in the nation as Guv of Cali

See how it works Bubba, no matter what you"philosophically" are pushing, your actions count!!!

Again, his actions were that he reduced capital gains taxes from 25% to 20% in 1981. His actions were to propose reducing them to 17.5% in 1985. His actions were that he agreed to raise them to 28% in order to get the top marginal rates reduced from 50% to 28% in 1986. His actions were to continue vocally calling for reduction or elimination of capital gains and estate taxes. Nowhere in his political career did he ever advocate raising capital gains taxes.

Sounds like we should.

Then you should be supporting Donald Trump because he is the only candidate who has proposed we do this. I personally believe you CAN'T do this because the Constitution doesn't allow it. But hey... give 'er a go! You have a liberal SCOTUS, they can simply rewrite the Constitution to make it happen!

The main thing with taxes, and government in general, is to fuck the other guy.

dude, our capitalists should pay the finest tax rates money can pay.

Sure Bubba, sure

The simple solution, for those of you who are annoyed by people amassing wealth, is to stop giving them your money.

Again, his actions were that he reduced capital gains taxes from 25% to 20% in 1981. His actions were to propose reducing them to 17.5% in 1985. His actions were that he agreed to raise them to 28% in order to get the top marginal rates reduced from 50% to 28% in 1986. His actions were to continue vocally calling for reduction or elimination of capital gains and estate taxes. Nowhere in his political career did he ever advocate raising capital gains taxes.

Actually Ronnie decreased Cap gains from 28% to 20% in 1981 THEN decided to put it back up to 28% in 1986. YOU KNOW WHAT ACTIONS MEAN RIGHT BUBBA?

The nation is still recovering from a crushing recession that sent unemployment hovering above nine percent for two straight years. The president, mindful of soaring deficits, is pushing bold action to shore up the nation's balance sheet. Cloaking himself in the language of class warfare, he calls on a hostile Congress to end wasteful tax breaks for the rich. "We're going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share," he thunders to a crowd in Georgia. Such tax loopholes, he adds, "sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying 10 percent of his salary – and that's crazy."

Preacherlike, the president draws the crowd into a call-and-response. "Do you think the millionaire ought to pay more in taxes than the bus driver," he demands, "or less?"

The crowd, sounding every bit like the protesters from Occupy Wall Street, roars back: "MORE!"

The year was 1985. The president was Ronald Wilson Reagan.

Today's Republican Party may revere Reagan as the patron saint of low taxation. But the party of Reagan – which understood that higher taxes on the rich are sometimes required to cure ruinous deficits – is dead and gone.

How the GOP Became the Party of the Rich | Rolling Stone

Sure , raise the tax rate to 90% then you know what those 1% will do? Why they will stop earning of course.

Think the Waltons need to keep Wal Mart open to eat? Of course not, they could close every store in the company tomorrow and it wouldn't affect them at all.

The workers , however............

Sure , raise the tax rate to 90% then you know what those 1% will do? Why they will stop earning of course.

Think the Waltons need to keep Wal Mart open to eat? Of course not, they could close every store in the company tomorrow and it wouldn't affect them at all.

The workers , however............

Sure, we had EFFECTIVE rates 3 times today's rates 1932-1980, did they stop creating wealth? lol

average_effective_federal_tax_rates.png

AMAZING THE RIGHT SUCKS OFF THE PLUTOCRAT CLASS!

Forum List

Back