Should the Social Security and Medicare Age be Raised

You made up a couple of fails if that's what you mean. You said they were different because military money goes into the general fund. I informed you that so does social security, no difference.

You haven't addressed my question until you find a difference or you admit there isn't one. Listing things that aren't different does not answer my question. God you're thick ...

When you file your taxes, do you take all the legitimate deductions? The gov't in wallowing in debt that your children and grandchildren will have to pay. Why not skip all the deductions?

Or your tax refund. Why not send that back, since it would help with the debt and cover current gov't spending so others don't have to pay for them in coming years.

My drawing SS is the same thing. The money they took from me is available and I will draw it. Your silly name-calling will not change that.

Then how is it that the Trust Fund will be exhausted??

That IS what we are discussing
There is no Trust Fund

Social Security taxes are spent on retirees as soon as they are received

Very true, the proposed fixes don't affect seniors.
No action affects seniors, when SS goes insolvent.
The dems should put it up for a vote or the GOP will need to fix it after 2023.
Read through this thread.

All your right wing buddies are parroting what they have been fed from right wing think tanks that want to KILL Social Security.

And your GOP lawmakers listen to those same think tanks and these people

I have been paying for retirees for almost 50 years. Happily, other tax payers, like Kaz, will pay for mine.
That system has worked for 75 years
No reason it can not keep working

Just needs to be tweaked

There is no Trust Fund
There absolutely is.

It is made up of Treasury Bills that get redeemed (yes out of the General Fund) as needed until those T Bills are exhausted.

Please do not parrot RW talking points

Options available to make SS solvent

1. Increase the retirement age up to 70
2. Make all income subject to SS taxes
3. Increase contributions from workers/employers

Choose your poison

Stop raiding it for pet projects and more welfare(SSI and the like). The government has and continues to "borrow" from SS and gives it what amounts to an IOU with interest. That nice, but ultimately where does the government get their money to pay it back? You guessed it, us via a myriad of taxes. Its a ponzy scheme.

All income shouldn't be be on the table unless they are going to change the maximum benefit as well. If you are making 250k per year you are making about 122k over the current SS tax cap of 128k. At a 6.8% tax, you would be paying an additional $8330/yr to SS alone, or $694/mth. If you put that extra money in a conservative investment earning 5%, for say 20 years, with compounding you are losing an additional $275k of potential retirement income. Remember, it was slow Joe who said that 400k was "rich", not 250k so how can you justify a non "rich" person losing that much in retirement to supplement a system in which they already pay more than average based on our progressive income tax system?(Remember, the feds are paying back borrowed SS money from our non SS tax dollars)

Edit: The current rate is at 6.2% so the numbers would need to be adjusted down a small amount. I won't do it because the point still stands.

Last edited:
So it is fair that a family struggling to pay for food and shelter pays the same rate as the Billionaire wondering where to buy his next yacht

They pay the same percentage of taxes on money spent on new goods and services. Buy a Mercedes and you pay 23% in consumption tax (no income tax). Buy a used car and pay no taxes.

Plus, the gov't would send out "refund" checks on whatever the amount figured to live. So no one pays taxes on the basic living costs.

Stop raiding it for pet projects and more welfare(SSI and the like). The government has and continues to "borrow" from SS and gives it what amounts to an IOU with interest. That nice, but ultimately where does the government get their money to pay it back? You guessed it, us via a myriad of taxes. Its a ponzy scheme.

All income shouldn't be be on the table unless they are going to change the maximum benefit as well. If you are making 250k per year you are making about 122k over the current SS tax cap of 128k. At a 6.8% tax, you would be paying an additional $8330/yr to SS alone, or $694/mth. If you put that extra money in a conservative investment earning 5%, for say 20 years, with compounding you are losing an additional $275k of potential retirement income. Remember, it was slow Joe who said that 400k was "rich", not 250k so how can you justify a non "rich" person losing that much in retirement to supplement a system in which they already pay more than average based on our progressive income tax system?(Remember, the feds are paying back borrowed SS money from our non SS tax dollars)
There is a lot of money on the table that is not taxed for Social Security.

Someone making $1 million or more a year stops paying at $122k

Give them additional payouts at a reduced rate

Billionaires are not looking forward to drawing on Social Security
Working Americans are

They pay the same percentage of taxes on money spent on new goods and services. Buy a Mercedes and you pay 23% in consumption tax (no income tax). Buy a used car and pay no taxes.

Plus, the gov't would send out "refund" checks on whatever the amount figured to live. So no one pays taxes on the basic living costs.
There is NO Fair Tax that doesn't increase taxes on the middle class and poor and lower taxes on the wealthy

Full stop

Forum List

Back