Should we be fiscally responsible?

Should the USA be fiscally responsible?

• Yes

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
Since republicans have thrown out fiscal responsibility I'm really curious what people say now. I think everyone should be for balanced budgets and decreasing debt. If you are for small government the reason is obvious. If you are a liberal you should hate all the tax dollars that are going for interest rather than your programs.

You take the lead.

Step one, be honest in your support of high taxes for everyone.
I haven't said what I would do to balance the budget. One would think freezing increases alone would be very helpful.

So, i ask you to take the first step, ie being honest about being for higher taxes for everyone,

and you change the subject.

Boo-yah.

And that is a wrap.

That is all the needs to be said about this issue.
Yes you are making false claims. That is to be ignored.

Since republicans have thrown out fiscal responsibility I'm really curious what people say now. I think everyone should be for balanced budgets and decreasing debt. If you are for small government the reason is obvious. If you are a liberal you should hate all the tax dollars that are going for interest rather than your programs.

You take the lead.

I haven't said what I would do to balance the budget. One would think freezing increases alone would be very helpful.

Helpful? Yes. Solve the problem? No.

I looked at the numbers a few years ago. Before the latest tax cut and spending increases. Here's what I found.

Some people believe that reducing the military expenditures will balance the budget and they are correct. But we're not talking about eliminating a carrier group or two. To balance the budget on the backs of the military, one would virtually have to zero out the military budget. When I looked at the numbers, we would have a little left over if we zeroed it out. Perhaps enough to fund the Marines but that's about it.

Other folks think that we simply need to reduce domestic spending. I zeroed out everything but Soc Sec, Medicare, and the military and it still did not balance our budget. Since then, the deficit has gotten even worse.

We have dug ourselves a very deep hole to get out of when it comes to the Federal deficit. The only way I can see to realistically balance our budget is to put everything on the table. Military, entitlements, tax increases--everything.

But not one POTUS candidate is seriously addressing this issue--from either party.

:smh
The hole was much less deep just 3 years ago. If we freeze spending economic growth alone would slowly get us out of the mess. It's slow, but better than making the mess worse....

The spending increases are mandated by law. People retiring are going to be demanding their benefits they paid if for, for their entire lives.

A spending freeze is not political viable.

GWBush didn't even come close to suggesting such a radical concept and people like you dogpiled him and shut it down before ANYTHING constructive was even discussed.

You take the lead.

So, i ask you to take the first step, ie being honest about being for higher taxes for everyone,

Boo-yah.

And that is a wrap.

You want fiscal responsibility and you don't want higher taxes on everyone? LOL!!!!!!!

Don't waste my time. Just give me the bullet point, how you pretend to think that would work.

You take the lead.

I looked at the numbers a few years ago. Before the latest tax cut and spending increases. Here's what I found.

Some people believe that reducing the military expenditures will balance the budget and they are correct. But we're not talking about eliminating a carrier group or two. To balance the budget on the backs of the military, one would virtually have to zero out the military budget. When I looked at the numbers, we would have a little left over if we zeroed it out. Perhaps enough to fund the Marines but that's about it.

Other folks think that we simply need to reduce domestic spending. I zeroed out everything but Soc Sec, Medicare, and the military and it still did not balance our budget. Since then, the deficit has gotten even worse.

We have dug ourselves a very deep hole to get out of when it comes to the Federal deficit. The only way I can see to realistically balance our budget is to put everything on the table. Military, entitlements, tax increases--everything.

But not one POTUS candidate is seriously addressing this issue--from either party.

The hole was much less deep just 3 years ago. If we freeze spending economic growth alone would slowly get us out of the mess. It's slow, but better than making the mess worse....

The spending increases are mandated by law. People retiring are going to be demanding their benefits they paid if for, for their entire lives.

GWBush didn't even come close to suggesting such a radical concept and people like you dogpiled him and shut it down before ANYTHING constructive was even discussed.
GWBush inherited a balanced budget and ruined it with tax cuts and spending.

You take the lead.

Boo-yah.

And that is a wrap.

You want fiscal responsibility and you don't want higher taxes on everyone? LOL!!!!!!!

Don't waste my time. Just give me the bullet point, how you pretend to think that would work.
Just 3 years ago deficits were drastically lower. We got here from trump spending and tax cuts. The tax cuts have not paid for themselves as promised. We likely need to cut back his spending and increase taxes back to where they were 3 years ago. Economic growth is about the same as it was 3 years ago, the cuts were a failure.

You take the lead.

eta - and budget projections during the Obama administration predicted increasing debt. Trump may have added to the problem but there were structural issues that preceded his administration.

For that to happen, I think that we would need to reduce the interest payments on our debt. According to this:--the interest on our current debt is approaching half a trillion $ and that's at historically low interest rates. And are you also proposing to freeze spending on Medicare and Soc Sec? Those two programs are currently growing very quickly and projections are that they will continue on the same trend due to the boomers.

4 Ways to Reduce the Interest on the National Debt

That's just the first site that came up on my search.

As long as interest rates are growing, I think we continue to take on water. So I think that we need to reduce the deficit to the point that our interest on the deficit shrinks. Only then will we be making progress over the long term.

Perhaps I'm missing something.

You take the lead.

LOL!!!!

You made a point, I addressed it seriously and honestly, and you changed the subject.

A spending freeze is not political viable. Not even close.

YOu know it. I know it. What is your real game here?

LOL!!!!

You made a point, I addressed it seriously and honestly, and you changed the subject.

I realize republicans are not currently caring about the debt. Thank you for proving that.

You take the lead.

Boo-yah.

And that is a wrap.

Just 3 years ago deficits were drastically lower. We got here from trump spending and tax cuts. The tax cuts have not paid for themselves as promised. We likely need to cut back his spending and increase taxes back to where they were 3 years ago. Economic growth is about the same as it was 3 years ago, the cuts were a failure.

1. Getting back to where we were three years ago, is not fiscal responsibility.

2. Much, if not most of the spending increase would have been mandated increases in entitlement spending. YOu are not going to touch that. So, that's not serious.

3. Undoing the tax cuts, won't put US into fiscal responsibility. Not even close.

4. Ignoring that his programs almost certainly artificially extended the economic upswing is even more dishonesty from you.

Boo-yah.

And that is a wrap.

2. Much, if not most of the spending increase would have been mandated increases in entitlement spending. YOu are not going to touch that. So, that's not serious.

3. Undoing the tax cuts, won't put US into fiscal responsibility. Not even close.

4. Ignoring that his programs almost certainly artificially extended the economic upswing is even more dishonesty from you.
We got here when trump flattened revenue with tax cuts and the largest spending increase was military. We can go back to 3 years ago.

I still think it is bizarre that a bunch of democrats are lecturing anyone about deficits. Many republicans will tell you that we want to control spending, and I'm betting they are serious. When the democrats start getting holier than thou, I have I hard time believing that they want to do anything other than spend as much as possible. To all the people who claim they are neutral, good luck with that. I hope you love Mexican food and your 20 hour service job. People keep pointing out how long we've had a deficit, and if a president can actually stop it without help, but that doesn't stop our supposedly non-biased regulars from bashing Trump and his supporters. Again, learn to take a win. You'll be happier accepting the good things Trump is doing, and be grateful the doom squad isn't banning everything in sight and taxing you out of your jockey shorts. If you ever find that perfect candidate that will magically get congress to write a responsible budget, let me know. I'd be interested. Otherwise, just keep griping continue to believe that government control of every industry will somehow, ironically, solve government spending.
The thing is trump talked a big game about the debt. What he delivered is higher deficits than Obama. Most of what trump does is by executive order, it will be gone quickly. The debt we are stuck with for a long time...

That's a good reason to build the wall.

I still think it is bizarre that a bunch of democrats are lecturing anyone about deficits. Many republicans will tell you that we want to control spending, and I'm betting they are serious. When the democrats start getting holier than thou, I have I hard time believing that they want to do anything other than spend as much as possible. To all the people who claim they are neutral, good luck with that. I hope you love Mexican food and your 20 hour service job. People keep pointing out how long we've had a deficit, and if a president can actually stop it without help, but that doesn't stop our supposedly non-biased regulars from bashing Trump and his supporters. Again, learn to take a win. You'll be happier accepting the good things Trump is doing, and be grateful the doom squad isn't banning everything in sight and taxing you out of your jockey shorts. If you ever find that perfect candidate that will magically get congress to write a responsible budget, let me know. I'd be interested. Otherwise, just keep griping continue to believe that government control of every industry will somehow, ironically, solve government spending.
The thing is trump talked a big game about the debt. What he delivered is higher deficits than Obama. Most of what trump does is by executive order, it will be gone quickly. The debt we are stuck with for a long time...

That's a good reason to build the wall.
Some democrat will enjoy knocking it down someday.

LOL!!!!

I realize republicans are not currently caring about the debt. Thank you for proving that.

If you were serious about the debt, you would have given me a serious reply to my point about how a spending freeze is not politically possible.

Boo-yah.

And that is a wrap.

We got here when trump flattened revenue with tax cuts and the largest spending increase was military. We can go back to 3 years ago.

We got here, when the Baby Boomers did not have enough children. Everything since then has just been kicking the can down the road.

That Trump is not kicking the can down the road the way you want, is not making him responsible for the mess.

I realize republicans are not currently caring about the debt.
I've noticed that a few Trumpsters here, unable to deny the scope and nature of Trump's All-You-Can-Eat Fiscal Donut Shop, are admitting that fiscal responsibility is no longer a priority for them. As long as HE is being fiscally irresponsible, it's okay.

This guy turned these people from (claiming to be) fiscal conservatives into hyper-Keynesians, virtually overnight.

I've never seen anything like this. It amazes me every freaking day.

We got here, when the Baby Boomers did not have enough children. Everything since then has just been kicking the can down the road.

That Trump is not kicking the can down the road the way you want, is not making him responsible for the mess.
He has certainly made the mess much worse. Trillion dollar deficits?

Republicans were fiscally responsible before 1998.

Since 1998, Republicans have been as bad or worse than Dems....

The LIBERTARIAN PARTY is the only party today that has any claim on the term "fiscally responsible..."

Got Gulag, Bro?

Democrats & Sanders Reveal Their True Plans for America

Said the man that does not want higher taxes on everyone.

Or at least, won't be honest about it.

Forum List

Back