🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Some Patients Refuse to See Doctors of Different Race

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
This is another consequence of affirmative action. Everyone knows most negro and hispo doctors and nurses can barely read and patients have a right to reject these unqualified people. Of course, then everyone is gonna specify white or asian care-giver and that's what the hospitals are really scared of.

Some Patients Refuse to See Doctors of Different Race

Friday, 22 Feb 2013 04:41 PM

It's been called one of medicine's "open secrets" - allowing patients to refuse treatment by a doctor or nurse of another race.

In the latest example, a white man with a swastika tattoo insisted that black nurses not be allowed to touch his newborn. Now two black nurses are suing the hospital, claiming it bowed to his illegal demands.

The Michigan cases are among several lawsuits filed in recent years that highlight this seldom-discussed issue, which quietly persists almost 60 years after the start of the civil rights movement.

The American Medical Association's ethics code bars doctors from refusing to treat people based on race, gender and other criteria, but there are no specific policies for handling race-based requests from patients.

"In general, I don't think honoring prejudicial preferences ... is morally justifiable" for a health care organization, said Dr. Susan Goold, a University of Michigan professor of internal medicine and public health. "That said, you can't cure bigotry ... There may be times when grudgingly acceding to a patient's strongly held preferences is morally OK."

Those times could include patients who have been so traumatized - by rape or combat, for instance - that accommodating their request would be preferable to forcing on them a caregiver whose mere presence might aggravate the situation, she said.

• Banned
The title says different race but i bet most of the complaints involve negro race. Neither black nor white patients want an affirmative action baby attending them.

Everyone knows? Gotta learn not to put them impossibilities in your proposed statements of fact.

Interesting how these sick folks don't know how to pick a good doctor based on success and just choose skin color. Welfare for whatever skin color they prefer I suppose.

How often does this come up btw?

Do you agree with only these skin tone motivated patients?

Hey Shitshisspeedos, what medical school did you graduate from?

Good grief. What racism from the OP, as per usual.

If you refuse you allow that black nurse to attend to you, you obviously are not that in need of medical treatment, and you should either find another doctor, or hospital, or go home.

I am most concerned about that poor baby born to an obvious racist.

I hope those two nurses win their case, too.

Best primary care I ever received was from a team including a Black doctor, and a Lesbian nurse practitioner who was also Jewish; care for 17 years after a severe illness which included treatment in a federal lab and clinical trials that gave me time to fight to save my life. These people were part of a team that nurtured me and helped me along the road to health. I am forever grateful to them. When in deepest and darkest despair they held my hand and more.

thank gawd I wasn't prejudiced and bigoted

I rarely discuss this stuff. It goes back over 20 years ago, before I ever went online. You can blame them for my presence here. :laugh2:
Dante
:cool:
dD

Last edited:
Nice post, Dante.

I have 2 friends who have had to have their appendix's out while travelling - one in India and one in Nicaragua. Both were terrified. Both got excellenr treatment and left hospital with very small scars!

I can understand why a white woman would be reluctant to let a black male doctor examine her.

Nice post, Dante.

I have 2 friends who have had to have their appendix's out while travelling - one in India and one in Nicaragua. Both were terrified. Both got excellenr treatment and left hospital with very small scars!

I rarely go there. It's been a few years since I left their care and moved out to the West Coast. These people were only doing their jobs but we became close. I think of them often. I miss them Imagine that:(

Best primary care I ever received was from a team including a Black doctor, and a Lesbian nurse practitioner who was also Jewish; care for 17 years after a severe illness which included treatment in a federal lab and clinical trials that gave me time to fight to save my life. These people were part of a team that nurtured me and helped me along the road to health. I am forever grateful to them. When in deepest and darkest despair they held my hand and more.

I rarely discuss this stuff. It goes back over 20 years ago, before I ever went online. You can blame them for my presence here. :laugh2:
Dante
dD
How do you know she was a lesbian, did you ask?

Dante
dD
How do you know she was a lesbian, did you ask?

She was out. After we became friendly we often spoke about life and family and friends. She was a religious Jew, who was a lesbian. She was the best NP I had. Out here I have one who is great, but we do not have the past history of the drama that was my life for a few years.

Why do you ask if I asked?

Nice post, Dante.

I have 2 friends who have had to have their appendix's out while travelling - one in India and one in Nicaragua. Both were terrified. Both got excellenr [sic] treatment and left hospital with very small scars!

They must have had "excellenr" doctors.

I can understand why a white woman would be reluctant to let a black male doctor examine her.
Probably depends on how attractive he is! I would think that most black male doctors have a female nurse or assistant present when examining any woman!

I read about this earlier and it baffles me as much now as it did then. To refuse medical from from someone due to their skin color? I mean...really???? That is just assinine.

I read about this earlier and it baffles me as much now as it did then. To refuse medical from from someone due to their skin color? I mean...really???? That is just assinine.
Not if you were a white woman who had been the victim of sexual assault by a black man.

Forum List

Back