South Dakota Lawmaker Says Businesses Should Be Allowed To Ban Colored People

If there is a business owner who actually doesn't want certain people, based on skin color, in their business, I want to know who and where they are, so that I don't give them my business. I also want to know who would patronize such a place, for future reference.

So yeah, go ahead and do that, and advertise it.
The thing is, there was a time not so long ago when businesses openly advertised WHITES ONLY, and it not only did them no harm, they actually thrived.

We do not want to go backwards.
I think the best way to marginalize these cockroaches is to shine a light on them. It ain't pretty, it ain't easy, but it's better than letting them fester. It's partially what gave us TRUMP.

Anyone that wishes to do business must be willing to provide services and/or goods to everyone equally.

Why? It seems more reasonable to me that a private business owner should be able to do businesses with whoever he/she chooses.

No, it's not reasonable at all. Not only does it violate the founding principals of this country, but it also destroys the very notion of the free market system.

It reeks of Naziism.

I think they should. I also think black people should be able to ban white people. Its their fucking property. They should be able to ban anyone for anything.

I also share this rather unpopular opinion. It's not like people have nowhere else to shop. Nobody that acquired property and built a business should have to service anybody they don't want to.
And if there is NO other place to shop.......?

I think they should. I also think black people should be able to ban white people. Its their fucking property. They should be able to ban anyone for anything.
People like you are the reason racism will never end.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

I also share this rather unpopular opinion. It's not like people have nowhere else to shop. Nobody that acquired property and built a business should have to service anybody they don't want to.

Ok well we have a lot of rural areas in our nation. Towns with one gas station. One store. One post office. Places where no other gas or store exists for miles and miles.

If the gas station doesn't want to sell gas to you because you're not the right color or skin or you love the wrong sex person or you're the wrong sex or a list of any other things, where are you going to get gas? How are you going to get around? If you're a farmer, how are you going to run your equipment to farm and make money?

If the store refuses to allow you inside, where are you going to get your food and everything you need to live?

Do you expect to have to go to every business in a small town to make sure they will serve you before you move there? Or while you're growing up there?

Do you expect that certain parts of our nation are off limits to people just because someone there discriminate?

What about a hospital? What happens to the person who is in a car accident and needs life saving care? The hospital refuses to allow them inside. So they die on the street in front of the door?

Are we now supposed to go back to separate but not equal again? Are we supposed to have stores, gas stations, hospitals and everything else one for whites and one each for every other race? Then one for homosexual people and on and on? Do you realize how stupid that is?

Do you think about the ripple effect of such thinking? Being a business doesn't give you the right to discriminate against people. Those people paid the taxes that created the infrastructure for that person to be able to do business. And it's very unrealistic to force segregation in our nation on top of being very unconstitutional.

So a sitting South Dakota lawmaker recently voiced his belief that businesses should be able to discriminate against people of color. Obviously this guy saw the recent Supreme Court ruling as a green light to go full racist -- and more and more openly racist/bigoted people are feeling more embolden to run for office (mainly as Republicans).

so my question is -- How many people here wish the Civil Rights bill was never passed?

Because essentially, to try to argue that businesses should be allowed to discriminate on the basis of race is saying you are against the Civil Rights Act.

From the article:
In an interview with the Leader, Clark said he believed that business owners should be able to turn away certain customers if they would otherwise violate their religious beliefs.

"If it’s truly his strongly based belief, he should be able to turn them away," Clark told the Leader. "People shouldn’t be able to use their minority status to bully a business."

It's stunning to me that an elected state lawmaker- no matter what the state - can be so ignorant as to not know what the Civil Rights Act is and does.
The only religion that practices racial discrimination is Black Liberation Theology, Obama's favorite church in Chicago.

There is no Constitutional or inaleinable right to do business. The government has a responsibilty to set standards.

Anyone that wishes to do business must be willing to provide services and/or goods to everyone equally.
Please show me where you saw that enumerated power in the constitution.

It's called the Commerce Clause.

It gives the government the right to regulate business or set business standards.

You might want to read that document.

Soooo. He didn't say businesses should be able to ban colored people. Democrats made it up.
clark.jpg

Why? It seems more reasonable to me that a private business owner should be able to do businesses with whoever he/she chooses.

Because the supreme court ruled as such according to the constitution.

You don't have to like it. You don' have to agree with it. You do have to accept it and follow our laws if you want to legally live in our society.

That's why.

If there is a business owner who actually doesn't want certain people, based on skin color, in their business, I want to know who and where they are, so that I don't give them my business. I also want to know who would patronize such a place, for future reference.

The thing is, there was a time not so long ago when businesses openly advertised WHITES ONLY, and it not only did them no harm, they actually thrived.

I think the best way to marginalize these cockroaches is to shine a light on them. It ain't pretty, it ain't easy, but it's better than letting them fester. It's partially what gave us TRUMP.
What gave us Trump should inform you that we could easily return to the days of Whites Only lunch counters, and that such businesses would thrive again.

What gave us Trump should inform you that we could easily return to the days of Whites Only lunch counters, and that such businesses would thrive again.
I doubt it. When in doubt, I always defer to freedom of expression.

I want to know how the crazies are, and who agrees with them.

But your tax dollars are still being used to create and maintain roads that bring that business's goods to them to sell or allows that business's goods to get to market to sell.

Your tax dollars are still paying for the police that serve and protect that business.

Your tax dollars are still paying for the firefighters who put fires out if they happen at that business.

Your tax dollars are still going to the court system that business uses.

Sure if they want to discriminate let everyone know and totally cut them off from 100% of every benefit they get from tax dollars. So they would have to create their own infrastructure to get their goods to sell or get their goods to market.

That's not reasonable. The most reasonable thing is to follow our constitution and not discriminate against people in business.

Forum List

Back