South Dakota Lawmaker Says Businesses Should Be Allowed To Ban Colored People

So a sitting South Dakota lawmaker recently voiced his belief that businesses should be able to discriminate against people of color. Obviously this guy saw the recent Supreme Court ruling as a green light to go full racist -- and more and more openly racist/bigoted people are feeling more embolden to run for office (mainly as Republicans).

so my question is -- How many people here wish the Civil Rights bill was never passed?

Because essentially, to try to argue that businesses should be allowed to discriminate on the basis of race is saying you are against the Civil Rights Act.

From the article:
In an interview with the Leader, Clark said he believed that business owners should be able to turn away certain customers if they would otherwise violate their religious beliefs.

"If it’s truly his strongly based belief, he should be able to turn them away," Clark told the Leader. "People shouldn’t be able to use their minority status to bully a business."

It's stunning to me that an elected state lawmaker- no matter what the state - can be so ignorant as to not know what the Civil Rights Act is and does.

I think I read that he took this back but he can't un-say it.

A lot of trumpanzees would be in favor of this. They post right here on this board. Dummies actually say they want to "make America white again" because they actually do not know that America has never been white.

The US would be a lot better off if we could get rid of this scum. Including trump.
I have never heard/seen anyone say that besides steve mcgarret and those with TDS

And we have leftists publicly claiming that they would like to "get rid of" people who they disagree with. Hmm. Tolerance? :D

Can you provide a link to the elected leftist who is in favor of getting rid of people they disagree with?

Or are you talking about what some random person on the message board said -- because if so, I think your outrage meter is a tad bit selective

So a sitting South Dakota lawmaker recently voiced his belief that businesses should be able to discriminate against people of color. Obviously this guy saw the recent Supreme Court ruling as a green light to go full racist -- and more and more openly racist/bigoted people are feeling more embolden to run for office (mainly as Republicans).

so my question is -- How many people here wish the Civil Rights bill was never passed?

Because essentially, to try to argue that businesses should be allowed to discriminate on the basis of race is saying you are against the Civil Rights Act.

From the article:
In an interview with the Leader, Clark said he believed that business owners should be able to turn away certain customers if they would otherwise violate their religious beliefs.

"If it’s truly his strongly based belief, he should be able to turn them away," Clark told the Leader. "People shouldn’t be able to use their minority status to bully a business."

It's stunning to me that an elected state lawmaker- no matter what the state - can be so ignorant as to not know what the Civil Rights Act is and does.

Yeah conservatives are really feeling their racism now aren't they? They see a real opportunity to put their ideas of oppressing all non-white non-straight minorities across the board. It's ok, Hitler had his heyday too. The only question is how much damage will need to be fixed afterwards.
The law is not allowing them to have their heads, yet. There is no Hitler here. Just a tubby old fart who prefers very wealthy white folks. The jackals won't win.

No one said Hitler is here. There is a propensity of people, especially on the internet these days, to ascribe any mention of Adolph Hitler as saying he has arrived again and the end is upon us. When instead it is merely one of many bells being rung, "look here, we've seen similar before and that road is one which cannot be traveled again, it is so horrendous, and even going down that road a little leaves open the possibility that the road will at some point again be open and the few travelers going that way be joined by followers." 'Godwin's Law' is fake. There is no law, it is a flippant response that people in chat rooms and discussion boards use to describe anyone that goes immediately to a comparison to Hitler or the Nazis when it isn't warranted, and in many cases it isn't. But there is no such thing as a godwin's law, it's fake. Yet people online use the knowledge of this fake 'law' to then discredit ANY mention of Hitler, what he did and stood for, as well as the Nazis, even when such a comparison IS warranted. It has been known by another name for much longer, The Boy Who Cried Wolf. A story everyone knows. After having cried "Wolf!" a number of times and alarmed the village into frantic action Peter finally found himself guarding the sheep when a wolf did appear. He cried out again "Wolf!", but the people ignored him and their sheep were slaughtered.

You have to fine tune your filter to weed out the fake, but never ignore the signs of the real.

"The jackal's won't win." They never do, until they do. These are not normal times, recognize that.
I didn't say it would be easy, Isaac. Social media HAS changed everything and it has amplified every idea, every complaint and every social movement to the Nth degree. I know these times aren't "normal," but we will figure out how to cope with this monster we have created and let loose. I have faith in that because of the people around me irl and all the people I have known all my life. Most of us are decent. I recognize there are jackals at the door.

I don't believe that a hospital should be able to discriminate and refuse to see a patient based on that. That is not the same as a wedding cake that you can order online.
Hek, many hospitals are owned/controlled by the govt.
At least around here. They buy all of them up. Which sucks.
Or maybe discriminating against people on the basis of race should not be allowed ...period...

Why do some keep twisting themselves into pretzels to justify someone being treated as a second class citizen -- that battle has been fought, blood has been shed -- and the people who were on the side of discrimination lost...period.
If there are no PA laws, then ANYONE could be treated as a second class citizen. Why do you support institutional discrimination against so many people?
How bigoted of you.

..and like I said -- the people who are not the ones historically discriminated against are usually the ones who feel laws preventing discrimination against EVERYONE is so passe.
Plus, i really just dont care about the past. That has nothing to do with our freedom, now.
Why should i lose rights because some dudes i dont even know were assholes? What fucking sense does that make?
Plus, the fed gov has no constitutional authority to create PA laws. And i never condone giving a central govt more power.
and it seems like the right you are whining about -- is losing your right to discriminate against people based on skin color -- just like those assholes you didn't know did back in the past you don't care about -- which is why the past is prologue

Hek, many hospitals are owned/controlled by the govt.
At least around here. They buy all of them up. Which sucks.
Or maybe discriminating against people on the basis of race should not be allowed ...period...

Why do some keep twisting themselves into pretzels to justify someone being treated as a second class citizen -- that battle has been fought, blood has been shed -- and the people who were on the side of discrimination lost...period.
If there are no PA laws, then ANYONE could be treated as a second class citizen. Why do you support institutional discrimination against so many people?
How bigoted of you.

..and like I said -- the people who are not the ones historically discriminated against are usually the ones who feel laws preventing discrimination against EVERYONE is so passe.
Plus, i really just dont care about the past. That has nothing to do with our freedom, now.
Why should i lose rights because some dudes i dont even know were assholes? What fucking sense does that make?
Plus, the fed gov has no constitutional authority to create PA laws. And i never condone giving a central govt more power.
and it seems like the right you are whining about losing is your right to discriminate against people based on skin color -- just like those assholes you didn't know did back in the past you don't care about -- which is why the past is prologue
Discrimination for anything. You cant seem to grasp i am for equality. Not just special treatment for groups of people you think should have them.

How bigoted of you.

and it seems like the right you are whining about losing is your right to discriminate against people based on skin color -- just like those assholes you didn't know did back in the past you don't care about -- which is why the past is prologue
Discrimination for anything. You cant seem to grasp i am for equality. Not just special treatment for groups of people you think should have them.

I really have little patience for intellectually dishonest people so I will ask you one simple question.

How many white folks were oppressed by Jim Crow laws?

I'll wait while you deflect.

From the article:

Yeah conservatives are really feeling their racism now aren't they? They see a real opportunity to put their ideas of oppressing all non-white non-straight minorities across the board. It's ok, Hitler had his heyday too. The only question is how much damage will need to be fixed afterwards.
The law is not allowing them to have their heads, yet. There is no Hitler here. Just a tubby old fart who prefers very wealthy white folks. The jackals won't win.

No one said Hitler is here. There is a propensity of people, especially on the internet these days, to ascribe any mention of Adolph Hitler as saying he has arrived again and the end is upon us. When instead it is merely one of many bells being rung, "look here, we've seen similar before and that road is one which cannot be traveled again, it is so horrendous, and even going down that road a little leaves open the possibility that the road will at some point again be open and the few travelers going that way be joined by followers." 'Godwin's Law' is fake. There is no law, it is a flippant response that people in chat rooms and discussion boards use to describe anyone that goes immediately to a comparison to Hitler or the Nazis when it isn't warranted, and in many cases it isn't. But there is no such thing as a godwin's law, it's fake. Yet people online use the knowledge of this fake 'law' to then discredit ANY mention of Hitler, what he did and stood for, as well as the Nazis, even when such a comparison IS warranted. It has been known by another name for much longer, The Boy Who Cried Wolf. A story everyone knows. After having cried "Wolf!" a number of times and alarmed the village into frantic action Peter finally found himself guarding the sheep when a wolf did appear. He cried out again "Wolf!", but the people ignored him and their sheep were slaughtered.

You have to fine tune your filter to weed out the fake, but never ignore the signs of the real.

"The jackal's won't win." They never do, until they do. These are not normal times, recognize that.
I didn't say it would be easy, Isaac. Social media HAS changed everything and it has amplified every idea, every complaint and every social movement to the Nth degree. I know these times aren't "normal," but we will figure out how to cope with this monster we have created and let loose. I have faith in that because of the people around me irl and all the people I have known all my life. Most of us are decent. I recognize there are jackals at the door.

And that is what is needed. To recognize the threat before you. Have your hand on the gun in your holster, but no need to take it out yet. You just know some bad shit is going down and action may be required. And people raising the alarm should not be ignored or silenced by worthless memes. Those who will seek to fool you will do so in the most obvious ways possible and in all the ways hidden.

How bigoted of you.

Oh by the way, making sure EVERYONE has equal protection under the law doesn't mean a person with a different skin color than you is being treated better than you.

Some conservatives tend to think that.

Because the government is public sector. The private sector is ran by individuals and owned by individuals.
I see. Yet if discrimination is alright with you for individuals, I don't see why it wouldn't also be alright with you for the government, which makes the laws.
The lawmaker in the OP's article is an individual. Yet he is in government. So is he within his rights to offer a racist opinion on behalf of his individual constituents?
What is racist about freedom? o_O
No country anywhere has absolute freedom. This country is actually founded on a self-evident truth that all men are created equal. It took awhile to get all citizens into the mix, but we have. No American citizen should be discriminated against because of race. American citizens give up the "freedom" to discriminate when they enter the public market place. It's really that simple. You like to say freedom isn't free. I would add that your freedom ends at my nose. Racism violates my space and unfairly limits my options, whether it is to sit down and eat the blue plate special at lunchtime or get that good paying job or that nice apartment. Read some of the posts around you and guess if that would happen to folks if there were no discrimination laws. As G-5000 pointed out, if people were willing to go along with it back in '64, there wouldn't need to be laws about it. Guess what? The laws were needed and apparently still are.
No they dont, OL. Thats some bullshit statist rhetoric. People give up their freedoms when they enter the public SECTOR. NOT the market.
Of COURSE my freedom ends at your nose. As does yours.THATS what you need to understand. My property is not your freedom. It is a symbol of my freedom.
Racism is bad, but its ok to let you go hungry over political stances right? Or for you wearing a yellow shirt? Or for simply being against the anti-racists? All thats ok but not my skin color! Or my personal beliefs on religion! Or where i come from!
What utter fucking bullshit.
Sorry, I couldn't follow that at all, except it sounds like you were whining about being abused somehow, some way. How does being fair to blacks hurt you? You can't wear a yellow shirt? Help me here.

From the article:

I think I read that he took this back but he can't un-say it.

A lot of trumpanzees would be in favor of this. They post right here on this board. Dummies actually say they want to "make America white again" because they actually do not know that America has never been white.

The US would be a lot better off if we could get rid of this scum. Including trump.
I have never heard/seen anyone say that besides steve mcgarret and those with TDS
There are a great many bigots on this forum, and almost every pseudocon on this forum supports them with their silent consent.

The bigots have felt more and more comfortable airing their beliefs on this forum and in the general population. And still the Right refuses to shut them down, because they suffer from the stupid belief these people are their base.

If you think and behave as though bigots are your base, that should be a HUGE internal signal that something has gone horribly awry which you better fix IMMEDIATELY.

But instead, the Right has been coddling bigots for far too long.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

You can go online and have a cake made and delivered and even have catering services at your home. This is not the 1950s anymore!
LOL. Where do you live?

What does that have to do with anything? I live in America where we have easy internet access and access to lots of different businesses. There are no shortages of businesses all offering the same products!
Okay, Chris. You have convinced me how things are where I live. LOL

How bigoted of you.

I really have little patience for intellectually dishonest people so I will ask you one simple question.

How many white folks were oppressed by Jim Crow laws?

I'll wait while you deflect.
Deflect from what? You bringing up more institutional discrimination? LOL

How bigoted of you.

Oh by the way, making sure EVERYONE has equal protection under the law doesn't mean a person with a different skin color than you is being treated better than you.

Some conservatives tend to think that.
Its not all about skin color dude. Why are you so obsessed?

I see. Yet if discrimination is alright with you for individuals, I don't see why it wouldn't also be alright with you for the government, which makes the laws.
The lawmaker in the OP's article is an individual. Yet he is in government. So is he within his rights to offer a racist opinion on behalf of his individual constituents?
No country anywhere has absolute freedom. This country is actually founded on a self-evident truth that all men are created equal. It took awhile to get all citizens into the mix, but we have. No American citizen should be discriminated against because of race. American citizens give up the "freedom" to discriminate when they enter the public market place. It's really that simple. You like to say freedom isn't free. I would add that your freedom ends at my nose. Racism violates my space and unfairly limits my options, whether it is to sit down and eat the blue plate special at lunchtime or get that good paying job or that nice apartment. Read some of the posts around you and guess if that would happen to folks if there were no discrimination laws. As G-5000 pointed out, if people were willing to go along with it back in '64, there wouldn't need to be laws about it. Guess what? The laws were needed and apparently still are.
No they dont, OL. Thats some bullshit statist rhetoric. People give up their freedoms when they enter the public SECTOR. NOT the market.
Of COURSE my freedom ends at your nose. As does yours.THATS what you need to understand. My property is not your freedom. It is a symbol of my freedom.
Racism is bad, but its ok to let you go hungry over political stances right? Or for you wearing a yellow shirt? Or for simply being against the anti-racists? All thats ok but not my skin color! Or my personal beliefs on religion! Or where i come from!
Sorry, I couldn't follow that at all, except it sounds like you were whining about being abused somehow, some way. How does being fair to blacks hurt you? You can't wear a yellow shirt? Help me here.
OMG
I wasnt whining about being abused. I am complaining about discrimination and how liars that say they are for equality, only care giving certain classes special rights.
How is me losing my rights fair to me? Why should i be the loser in this? Why cant it be EQUAL?

From the article:

And that is what is needed. To recognize the threat before you. Have your hand on the gun in your holster, but no need to take it out yet. You just know some bad shit is going down and action may be required. And people raising the alarm should not be ignored or silenced by worthless memes. Those who will seek to fool you will do so in the most obvious ways possible and in all the ways hidden.
Who silences us with worthless memes? Takes a lot more than that to shut me up. I am CERTAINLY not ignored here; I get trolled every day and I suppose you do, too. I don't believe in using guns, but I'm pretty good at giving lectures. We all contribute in our own little way.

• Thanks
Reactions: xyz

From the article:

Oh Goodie, another SJW troll! We don't have nearly enough of these!

This disingenuous trolling twerp did not provide a link to the article.

The phrase quoted is includes "minority status", which covers far more than race. If a business owner suspects someone with minority status is trying to entrap him in order get some $$$ or publicity, then he has every right to deny to do business with said person.

OMG
I wasnt whining about being abused. I am complaining about discrimination and how liars that say they are for equality, only care giving certain classes special rights.
How is me losing my rights fair to me? Why should i be the loser in this? Why cant it be EQUAL?
Please in simple English tell me a right you have lost because of anti-discrimination laws. You, yourself.

OMG
Please in simple English tell me a right you have lost because of anti-discrimination laws. You, yourself.
I dont have the right to determine who i sell my property to. I should be able to deny my product to anyone or anything for any reason.

Well if some people did not have to pay taxes, serve in the armed forces, obey the laws and so forth you might have a talking point. In the meantime more equality will be taking place and so life in America goes on.

From the article:

The phrase quoted is includes "minority status", which covers far more than race. If a business owner suspects someone with minority status is trying to entrap him in order get some $$$ or publicity, then he has every right to deny to do business with said person.
He's not a troll. I'm hoping the guy doesn't finish with us after this little beauty of a thread. He couldn't provide a link because he's too new. I put one in for him a few pages ago.

From the article:

He's not a troll. I'm hoping the guy doesn't finish with us after this little beauty of a thread. He couldn't provide a link because he's too new. I put one in for him a few pages ago.

I stand by my assessment. A poster of goodwill would cite the source.

He didn't, which is quite dishonest.

Forum List

Back