Starbucks employees now encouraged to berate you over thorny racial issues in America

Heres an idea. Go to the FBI website or your local police website and print out the past years crime stats, sorted by race of the offenders.

Hang it at the baristas cash register.

Discuss!

Heres an idea. Go to the FBI website or your local police website and print out the past years crime stats, sorted by race of the offenders.

Discuss!
It will show whites commit the vast majority of crime. That would be a good starting point for race discussions. It would dispel some of the myths.

By that logic...Africa should've long surpassed Europe and the Soveit nations in prosperity. Why hasn't that happened?
White people invaded. Prior to that a Black man was the wealthiest human in the world. Matter of fact he is still the wealthiest human to have ever walked the planet. Dont you hate when your deflections come back to bite you in the ass? :laugh:

OHHH...what a surprise. So Africa Iis generally a shit hole of violence, disease and poverty today because....whites invaded...when?

Whites also invaded Japan. And nuked Japan. Yet...they somehow rebuilt into a powerful economy.

A pretty evil white army invaded most of Europe and destroyed it 70 years ago. They recovered.

Enough with excuses blaming whitey. Its pathetic.
Who told you Africa was a shit hole of violence? You must have never been there so its typical white boy chatter. Japan was rebuilt by America stupid.

Um...are we talking the same Africa where tribal wars wage daily and dictators in North Africa slaughter their own people and they mutilate female genitalia and...well...Boko Harram and Somalia sum it up well.

Forgive me. Africa is as peaceful as Mayberry. Who was I fooling

This is like saying America is bad because Catholic priests fucked kids

So you're saying Africa does NOT have a massive problem with violence disease and poverty?

White people invaded. Prior to that a Black man was the wealthiest human in the world. Matter of fact he is still the wealthiest human to have ever walked the planet. Dont you hate when your deflections come back to bite you in the ass? :laugh:

OHHH...what a surprise. So Africa Iis generally a shit hole of violence, disease and poverty today because....whites invaded...when?

Whites also invaded Japan. And nuked Japan. Yet...they somehow rebuilt into a powerful economy.

A pretty evil white army invaded most of Europe and destroyed it 70 years ago. They recovered.

Who told you Africa was a shit hole of violence? You must have never been there so its typical white boy chatter. Japan was rebuilt by America stupid.

Um...are we talking the same Africa where tribal wars wage daily and dictators in North Africa slaughter their own people and they mutilate female genitalia and...well...Boko Harram and Somalia sum it up well.

So you're saying Africa does NOT have a massive problem with violence disease and poverty?
Sounds just like europe to me. Still deflecting from the US though I see.
laugh.gif

LOL It's bad when you can't even get Think Progress behind your cockeyed idea.

The campaign has predictably elicited strong reactions. Here are a few we found interesting.

Over at Medium, Tressie McMillan Cottom wonders who the audience is, to begin with.

It is unclear who Starbucks is aiming for with this campaign. If you are a colorblind ideologue, just mentioning race is racism. If you are racist, being confronted with "perspectives" on race will piss you off. If you know the difference between race and racism, race stickers will confuse you. If you would rather talk about your feelings about that thing that was about race that one time rather than talk about racism, you're really going to slow down the latte line.

Think Progress says a company that already "manipulates language" has no business talking about race.

The branding of places like Starbucks are particularly obnoxious: the operation requires you to adopt a nonsensical lexicon that elevates the ordinary (calling a cashier a barista is the equivalent of calling an Apple employee, a.k.a., a glorified RadioShack worker, a "genius"). Even a small is "tall" at Starbucks. A place that manipulates language in this way should not be responsible for "starting a conversation" about anything, least of all an issue as fraught, complex and sensitive as race.

Entrepreneur says the campaign is unfair to the people who have to dish it out.

Putting this immense task on workers, even if it is voluntary, is taxing and unfair. Customers sue restaurants and attack employees over problems as inconsequential as order mix-ups. With hundreds of customers served at a single Starbucks every day, it's easy to imagine employees suddenly dealing with a slew of ignorant, racist or violent reactions — or individual baristas making ignorant or racist comments themselves.

Danielle Henderson at Fusion was more blunt with the headline, "The Starbucks 'Race Together' campaign sounds like a terrible idea."

It's the height of liberal American idealism and a staggering act of hubris to think we can solve our systemic addiction to racism over a Frappucino.

Over at The Daily Telegraph, Rosa Silverman is concerned about the language used in the campaign.

If Starbucks wants to tackle this, then all the better (even if it has precious little to do with the serving of coffee).

But the language with which we discuss the topic is too important to use carelessly. Unwittingly legitimizing the view that humans can be divided into separate races risks doing more harm than good in the long run.

Staying silent, as Schultz says, may be wrong, but let's make sure that if we're going to speak up, we think hard about the words we're using to do so.

Here s What People Are Saying About Starbucks Race Together Campaign Code Switch NPR
Nothing is over the top for zealots.

They probably figure the kids at the cash register are all hopped up on caffeine and their energy should be put to good "social justice" use.

:laugh:

Discuss!
It will show whites commit the vast majority of crime. That would be a good starting point for race discussions. It would dispell some of the myths.

Would it? You sure? What if it was only for violent crimes..like murder and armed robbery?

Discuss!
It will show whites commit the vast majority of crime. That would be a good starting point for race discussions. It would dispell some of the myths.

Would it? You sure? What if it was only for violent crimes..like murder and armed robbery?
Yes it would. Especially if it was bestiality.

laugh.gif

Hahahahahaha....yeah....Africa and Europe are worlds apart.

laugh.gif

Hahahahahaha....yeah....Africa and Europe are worlds apart.
Theyre actually very close. I guess you flunked geography among many other subjects.
laugh.gif

Why do you always ask these silly ass questions that start with "So" and end with something no one said.

America has a massive problem as well, that doesnt mean that America as a whole is a fucked up place.

Its easy to broad brush people and places you dont go.

Why do you always ask these silly ass questions that start with "So" and end with something no one said.

America has a massive problem as well, that doesnt mean that America as a whole is a fucked up place.

Thats when you know you have reached the limits of Bucs reasoning ability. Some topics get too difficult for him so he has to deflect thinking no one will notice.

Last edited:
Explain again how special treatment is equates to equal?
It brings the people that were unequal to an equal status idiot.
If you need special consideration you're not equal. You understand that concept?
I agree. Special consideration is needed to address those inequalities much like whites needed special consideration during slavery and Jim Crow.
So you're saying blacks are inferior and can't get by on an even playing field. And at the same time saying whites were inferior and needed the Jim Crow laws to keep blacks down. How can both of those statements be true?
Would you say a lower income is inferior to a higher income?

If whites couldn't make it without Blacks doing the work for them then you would have to say they possessed inferior working ability. in order to compensate for that they need Blacks. Once the Blacks were freed their superior working ability necessitated Jim Crow so whites would not be outworked.
You seem to have an inferiority complex. Is that the reason for AA today?

If you need special consideration you're not equal. You understand that concept?
I agree. Special consideration is needed to address those inequalities much like whites needed special consideration during slavery and Jim Crow.
So you're saying blacks are inferior and can't get by on an even playing field. And at the same time saying whites were inferior and needed the Jim Crow laws to keep blacks down. How can both of those statements be true?

If whites couldn't make it without Blacks doing the work for them then you would have to say they possessed inferior working ability. in order to compensate for that they need Blacks. Once the Blacks were freed their superior working ability necessitated Jim Crow so whites would not be outworked.

How many times do we have to tell you the people who use it most are white women?

Where is your rant about white girls being inferior? But...its not about race tho, right?

I already explained the concept of AA is to bring about equality. Unfortunately white women are getting more equal to white males that used exclusively white AA for centuries. Did whites have an inferiority complex?

Thats when you know you have reached the limits of Bucs reasoning ability. Some topics get too difficult for him so he has to deflect thinking no one will notice.

Yeah. You and him saying that is like the 5th graders saying "The teacher is so dumb she dont know nothing".

Go ahead and keep using race as your crutch.

Us whiteys will keep ruling the world muwhahahahahaha!

Yeah. You and him saying that is like the 5th graders saying "The teacher is so dumb she dont know nothing".

Go ahead and keep using race as your crutch.

Us whiteys will keep ruling the world muwhahahahahaha!
Keep using your deflections when you cant address the topic. It serves you well and just reinforces my belief that white guys like you arent too intelligent. You just benefit from what your ancestors did.

I already explained the concept of AA is to bring about equality. Unfortunately white women are getting more equal to white males that used exclusively white AA for centuries. Did whites have an inferiority complex?
So white women outflanked you. I'm kind of wondering when you'll reach the point of maybe this AA crap isn't so good for anyone and it should be dropped. Then every individual will be able to succeed on his or her own without any other favored group of the day getting their spot.

Forum List

Back