Sterling refuses to pay fine, plans to sue NBA

Really what can they do to him if he refuses to pay?

Nothing.

Sterlings problem is that he owns an NBA team that he expects to make a profit off of

As long as he is associated with the team, Sponsors will stay away. Corporations will refuse to buy season tickets. His TV deal will dry up as soon as it expires
He is dead man walking as an owner

Sooner or later he will have to sell the team. The NBA can take their cut from the sale or just deduct it from what he receives in league revenue

Never underestimate the power of crazy and the ability of a feeling of persecution to motivate. He has enough money to survive and he can make it hurt the league far more than the league can hurt him.

If he does, it will get ugly

He will have to give tickets away. He will not have a TV deal Players will start to boycott the team. Right now, players support the NBA because they banned Sterling. If he is still associated with the team next year, I would expect an NBA wide boycott with players refusing to take the court

I'd wager a king's ransom that all the Sterling apologists here don't watch basketball or follow the NBA in any way, shape or form.

Sterlings problem is that he owns an NBA team that he expects to make a profit off of

As long as he is associated with the team, Sponsors will stay away. Corporations will refuse to buy season tickets. His TV deal will dry up as soon as it expires

Sooner or later he will have to sell the team. The NBA can take their cut from the sale or just deduct it from what he receives in league revenue

Never underestimate the power of crazy and the ability of a feeling of persecution to motivate. He has enough money to survive and he can make it hurt the league far more than the league can hurt him.

If he does, it will get ugly

He will have to give tickets away. He will not have a TV deal Players will start to boycott the team. Right now, players support the NBA because they banned Sterling. If he is still associated with the team next year, I would expect an NBA wide boycott with players refusing to take the court

That could be one possible scenario.

He doesn't care and neither should you. It's his money, his life, and it's his TEAM.

Sterling's comments notwithstanding, the NBA is the real "retard" here. They shot their wad in 7 days......it will never hold up in court. They have to prove damages. How will they do that?

They don't have to prove damages. Did Sterling violate the NBA Constitution & Bylaws? If so, they can do exactly what they are doing.

Actually according to the letter of the NBA Constitution and bylaws, he didn't.

Right about now, the NBA is having a collective case of the shits. Here are the facts in real life. Not every member of the NBA is black. Donald Sterling has in excess of 2 billion dollars to make this case his hobby. It's all his money. The money the NBA has isn't their money. Given even costs, do all the members of the NBA want to spend 2 billion dollars of their money so black members can pursue a vendetta against an old man who got mad at his girlfriend? Likely no.

Of course he violated it.

NBA Constitution & Bylaws said:
The Commissioner shall have the power to suspend for a definite or indefinite period, or to impose a fine not exceeding $1,000,000, or inflict both such suspension and fine upon any person who, in his opinion, shall have been guilty of conduct prejudicial or detrimental to the Association.

The Membership of a Member or the interest of any Owner may be terminated by a vote of three fourths (3/4) of the Board of Governors if the Member or Owner shall do or suffer any of the following:

(a) Willfully violate any of the provisions of the Constitution and By-Laws, resolutions, or agreements of the Association.

Not to mention that collectively they have more money than Sterling as well and Sterling will pay court costs in the end.

Because of course anytime anyone plans something out, the results are 100% guaranteed to be the way they want them...

Its doesn't matter if they have more money than him, the dude is in his 80's and has enough money to tie up the league legally for a decade.

They have enough money to wait him out and the ability to simply remove his team from the schedule and invalidate the players contracts. That would render his team worthless on the market by the way.

That would be a direct challenge to the power of the NPBA, which means that, even if your addled brain actually produced something true, it is not going to happen.

Last edited:
A good review of anti-trust law exemptions is long overdue. Though this isn't specifically about anti-trust it does shine a little light on how the exemptions are routinely abused.

Really what can they do to him if he refuses to pay?

Nothing.

For every dollar Sterling loses, the team loses two dollars. There are other owners who will lose those two dollars. It won't be worth it to them. It really won't. This entire vendetta against Sterling is because of the grievance industry getting outraged. They are always outraged. Now it's going to cost them. The team and the NBA will flounder around for awhile and then look for a settlement. This may be an indication that the shakedown racket has reached its end.

So for making racists statements, there can be no forgiveness or pardon?

Everything about this 'story' makes my skin crawl.

I actually think he was telling the truth when he told Anderson Cooper--'I wanted her and would have said anything'. Taking carnal urges to a new low.

I have no idea how to explain his obsession with Magic Johnson. The thought of a black man having his 'prize'? Sick and perverted.

But --whatever--

You didn't answer the question. Should racists statements mean the person has to be permanently ostracized from society?

That would be a good solution.

He doesn't care and neither should you. It's his money, his life, and it's his TEAM.

Sterling's comments notwithstanding, the NBA is the real "retard" here. They shot their wad in 7 days......it will never hold up in court. They have to prove damages. How will they do that?

They don't have to prove damages. Did Sterling violate the NBA Constitution & Bylaws? If so, they can do exactly what they are doing.

It is written very vaguely- which is why it will be litigated. Also, the owners haven't voted yet.....I wonder why? Maybe they don't have the 3/4ths they need?

:lol:

Either way, I don't care. I am not an NBA fan.

You really think they don't have the 3/4ths vote needed? The NBA wouldn't have done this if they didn't have the votes. Silver most likely spoke with every other owner regarding this before laying down the decision.

Because of course anytime anyone plans something out, the results are 100% guaranteed to be the way they want them...

Its doesn't matter if they have more money than him, the dude is in his 80's and has enough money to tie up the league legally for a decade.

They have enough money to wait him out and the ability to simply remove his team from the schedule and invalidate the players contracts. That would render his team worthless on the market by the way.

That would be a direct challenge to the power of the NPBA, which means that, eeven if your addled brain actually produced something true, it is not going to happen.

Not really. They would cooperate with this as long as the players were signed elsewhere. You must be mad or out of your skull.

It is written very vaguely- which is why it will be litigated. Also, the owners haven't voted yet.....I wonder why? Maybe they don't have the 3/4ths they need?

You really think they don't have the 3/4ths vote needed? The NBA wouldn't have done this if they didn't have the votes. Silver most likely spoke with every other owner regarding this before laying down the decision.

If it comes to that, I'd expect the vote to be unanimous.

Nobody wants to be the owner that stood behind this racist ****.

Actually according to the letter of the NBA Constitution and bylaws, he didn't.

Right about now, the NBA is having a collective case of the shits. Here are the facts in real life. Not every member of the NBA is black. Donald Sterling has in excess of 2 billion dollars to make this case his hobby. It's all his money. The money the NBA has isn't their money. Given even costs, do all the members of the NBA want to spend 2 billion dollars of their money so black members can pursue a vendetta against an old man who got mad at his girlfriend? Likely no.

Of course he violated it.

The Commissioner shall have the power to suspend for a definite or indefinite period, or to impose a fine not exceeding $1,000,000, or inflict both such suspension and fine upon any person who, in his opinion, shall have been guilty of conduct prejudicial or detrimental to the Association.

The Membership of a Member or the interest of any Owner may be terminated by a vote of three fourths (3/4) of the Board of Governors if the Member or Owner shall do or suffer any of the following:

(a) Willfully violate any of the provisions of the Constitution and By-Laws, resolutions, or agreements of the Association.

What CONDUCT did he engage in that was prejudicial to the Association? Speaking of CONDUCT only, not having a personal opinion about a girlfriend, nor expressing in words that opinion. It is conduct and it would have to prejudice the association. At best, the farthest stretch, he engaged in conduct prejudicial to himself.

Funny how people don't think this billion dollar league that has firms of attornies at their disposal didnt have this mapped out from day 1. :lol:

Everything about this 'story' makes my skin crawl.

I actually think he was telling the truth when he told Anderson Cooper--'I wanted her and would have said anything'. Taking carnal urges to a new low.

I have no idea how to explain his obsession with Magic Johnson. The thought of a black man having his 'prize'? Sick and perverted.

But --whatever--

You didn't answer the question. Should racists statements mean the person has to be permanently ostracized from society?

That would be a good solution.

at the moment--that would be fine with me.

When I have read and processed this article--I may be able to answer the question.

Source: Donald Sterling refuses NBA sanctions, threatens to sue - NBA - Michael McCann - SI.com

Funny how people don't think this multi-billion dollar league that has firms of attorneys at their disposal didnt have this mapped out from day 1. :lol:

Any lawsuit by Sterling against the NBA would face a daunting task, as Sterling contractually agreed to follow the NBA's system of justice. Sterling's failure to pay the fine is additional evidence of his insubordination of league policies. His failure triggers other contractual provisions that can be used by the NBA under Article 13(d) to justify his ouster. It is also possible the NBA could deduct $2.5 million, plus interest, from proceeds the NBA would share with the Sterlings after the league sells the Clippers.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nb...ng-nba-la-clippers-adam-silver/#ixzz31uOnKapn

Love it!!

Last edited:
Not to mention that collectively they have more money than Sterling as well and Sterling will pay court costs in the end.

He has enough money to play legal defense for a decade at least.

They have 100x that amount and time on their side.

They could probably run him out of money in 20 years or so. Considering that he is 83, and senile, I don't think that matters much to him. On the other hand, those other owners are going to be cutting into their profits and future earnings, and they are all younger, and saner, than he is.

They could probably run him out of money in 20 years or so. Considering that he is 83, and senile, I don't think that matters much to him. On the other hand, those other owners are going to be cutting into their profits and future earnings, and they are all younger, and saner, than he is.

It would cost the other owners a shitload more to do nothing.

Not if his family has him committed for spending up their trust fund. Money does strange things to people.

Forum List

Back