Still Not Tired of Winning

^ posts that in a thread supporting leftist trade policy

Tariffs are actually a protectionist trade policy, something that is neither left nor right, or more so can change as the political winds do.
Tariffs and subsidies are definitely big gubmint, leftist policies.

Subsidies yes, Tarriffs no.

They may be non-globalist, non-free trade, but right now lefties are the big fans of globalism and free trade.
Until Muslims put you rubes in the fetal position the U.S. loved free trade and globalism. It made us the wealthiest and most powerful nation in the world. Leftists fought that tooth and nail, and it was the one thing the GOP was good for. Note that elected Democrats are either applauding Trump for this or not saying anything, while GOP politicians blast him. Tariffs are very much leftist policy.

It also banged up our domestic industries over time, something that only Trump payed attention to in the election.

Again, protectionist, not leftist.

and they are constitutional.
so the first thing trump should do now is just ignore the people that put him in office because the people investigating him said he should. How fking stupid are these people?

Let me guess, you are a fan of the Cleveland Browns, so you don't really understand what "winning" is

Are you always cheery? ;)

I am! It just comes naturally. I live very close to the steel mills in Ill that have been shut down, I know a lot of laid off workers and while the 500 coming back is a great thing for them personally, it is a tiny drop in the bucket.

That's good to know. Stay warm. :)

It is chilly today. I was so happy I got to golf last week and this BOOM winter snuck back in!
that's because trump is messing with the environment.

Well damn it he needs to stop. I need all the practice I can get before my Florida trip this summer. If I am going to fork out the cash to play at Sawgrass, I want to at least not waste 50 bucks on lost balls!

Big gubmint’s forcing people to buy their steel, and increased the price they’re able to sell it at, and they can only call back 500 people?

You know either way it is a "Win-Win" situation.
A) Either the auto makers for example pay a tax of 25% on foreign steel... a tax passed on to us the consumers of in the case of an auto:
In 2009 a North American car weighing 3,755 pounds consisted of 17.1% steel or 642 pounds.

http://www.autosteel.org/~/media/Files/Autosteel/Great Designs in Steel/GDIS 2009/06 - Metallic Material Trends For North American Light Vehicles.pdf

Galvanized steel price per ton $300-600... worst case $600 or 30¢ per pound times 642 pounds= $192.00 PLUS tariff of 25% or another $48 for total of $240.00
Steel Price Per Ton, Steel Price Per Ton Suppliers and Manufacturers at Alibaba.com

What is the cost of average car in USA? Average new car price zips 2.6% to $33,560
$33,560. What percent of the car costs is the 25% tariff at $48? 0.14%...less then one 2/10ths of 1%!

B) Or the automaker buys the steel from US Steel mill with NO tariff AND the 500 steel workers along with the company pay 13% in SS/Medicare taxes as well as income taxes.

Hmmmm...
Is there something here I'm missing?
Either we the consumers pay 2/10ths of 1% for foreign steel i.e. the tariff or we save that and the steel workers/employers pay 13% in SS/Medicare!
How is there a losing position?
A very leftist viewpoint. The steel worker cannot compete, so if we all just sacrifice a little, they don’t have to learn a new skill that’s actually in demand. From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

Are you always cheery? ;)

I am! It just comes naturally. I live very close to the steel mills in Ill that have been shut down, I know a lot of laid off workers and while the 500 coming back is a great thing for them personally, it is a tiny drop in the bucket.

That's good to know. Stay warm. :)

It is chilly today. I was so happy I got to golf last week and this BOOM winter snuck back in!
that's because trump is messing with the environment.

Well damn it he needs to stop. I need all the practice I can get before my Florida trip this summer. If I am going to fork out the cash to play at Sawgrass, I want to at least not waste 50 bucks on lost balls!
I really don't think the paris accord is going to go. I'm just saying, get used to trump fking with the environment.

Big gubmint’s forcing people to buy their steel, and increased the price they’re able to sell it at, and they can only call back 500 people?

A) Either the auto makers for example pay a tax of 25% on foreign steel... a tax passed on to us the consumers of in the case of an auto:
In 2009 a North American car weighing 3,755 pounds consisted of 17.1% steel or 642 pounds.

http://www.autosteel.org/~/media/Files/Autosteel/Great Designs in Steel/GDIS 2009/06 - Metallic Material Trends For North American Light Vehicles.pdf

Galvanized steel price per ton $300-600... worst case $600 or 30¢ per pound times 642 pounds= $192.00 PLUS tariff of 25% or another $48 for total of $240.00
Steel Price Per Ton, Steel Price Per Ton Suppliers and Manufacturers at Alibaba.com

What is the cost of average car in USA? Average new car price zips 2.6% to $33,560
$33,560. What percent of the car costs is the 25% tariff at $48? 0.14%...less then one 2/10ths of 1%!

B) Or the automaker buys the steel from US Steel mill with NO tariff AND the 500 steel workers along with the company pay 13% in SS/Medicare taxes as well as income taxes.

Hmmmm...
Either we the consumers pay 2/10ths of 1% for foreign steel i.e. the tariff or we save that and the steel workers/employers pay 13% in SS/Medicare!
A very leftist viewpoint. The steel worker cannot compete, so if we all just sacrifice a little, they don’t have to learn a new skill that’s actually in demand. From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

God, you are such an idiot marxist that you got marxism wrong.

Hmmmm...

^ ironic

Hmmmm...

^ ironic

Not ironic, you are an idiot.

Hmmmm...

^ ironic

Okay, lib

Hmmmm...
Leftist wants no pollution laws and workers making $2 a day so they can compete.

Hmmmm...
Leftist wants no pollution laws and workers making $2 a day so they can compete.
so you're saying the left doesn't believe in environmental conditions right?

The left have no concept of what the Constitution says or that it even exists.

Tariffs are actually a protectionist trade policy, something that is neither left nor right, or more so can change as the political winds do.

They may be non-globalist, non-free trade, but right now lefties are the big fans of globalism and free trade.
Until Muslims put you rubes in the fetal position the U.S. loved free trade and globalism. It made us the wealthiest and most powerful nation in the world. Leftists fought that tooth and nail, and it was the one thing the GOP was good for. Note that elected Democrats are either applauding Trump for this or not saying anything, while GOP politicians blast him. Tariffs are very much leftist policy.

Agree. As a liberal I can say that one thing the left often gets wrong often is tariffs and the more broad the worse they are. These proposed steel and aluminum tariffs affect our relationship with our allies more than anyone else. Putin has got to be pissing his pants from laughing so hard.

Agree. As a liberal I can say that one thing the left often gets wrong often is tariffs and the more broad the worse they are. These proposed steel and aluminum tariffs affect our relationship with our allies more than anyone else. Putin has got to be pissing his pants from laughing so hard.
well either you and your liberal buddies agree with environmental concerns or not when manufacturing steel. Well? Let's remove all of the restrictions and regulations in place and let the US plants make steel like the Chinese. Ok?

As a liberal? Are you translating for someone else? o_O

Hmmmm...

^ ironic

Okay, lib

how is levelling the playing field against government subsidized industries "marxist?"

well either you and your liberal buddies agree with environmental concerns or not when manufacturing steel. Well? Let's remove all of the restrictions and regulations in place and let the US plants make steel like the Chinese. Ok?

Sure, whatever, we don't buy much steel from China anyway.

Hmmmm...
^ leftist wants big gubmint to force people to pay $100 a day for $2 a day’s worth of work

^ ironic

Okay, lib

how is levelling the playing field against government subsidized industries "marxist?"
“Level the playing field.” The free market is just so unfair. Time for big gubmint to impose massive taxes... I mean tariffs... to force people into paying more.

Dumbass lib

^ ironic

Okay, lib

“Level the playing field.” The free market is just so unfair. Time for big gubmint to impose massive taxes... I mean tariffs... to force people into paying more.

Dumbass lib

Some countries put their fingers on the lever and make the market unfair.

Dumbass lib

Some countries put their fingers on the lever and make the market unfair.
Yeah. Like the EU. Their leftist economic policies call for lots of massive tariffs and subsidies. That’s why despite having 200 million more people than we do, they have a lower GDP.

Forum List

Back