🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Study Links Low I.Q. To Prejudice, Racism, Conservatism

Disagree. White people came up with the concept of IQ tests specifically to try and pretend they were smarter than everyone else.

Ugh, no. That you're view is based on misunderstandings of 150 year old rejected philosophies of men unqualified for the subject in the first place makes any further discussion with you on this matter unworthy of my time or effort.

I think it's the other way around, society does not value it's smartest people enough. Just look at TV, Bill Nye has to act like a silly clown just to get people to absorb some knowledge while people take the dolts on "reality" TV far too seriously. Intellectuals are too often lonely misfits who get passed over for jobs, promotions and mates because they are not as social.

I tend to agree that society doesn't adequately value our brightest and most gifted people, but I find that to be due to over emphasis on measuring a person's total human worth based on their IQ. What I found through most of my life was that because I was deemed exceptionally gifted, I was expected to live up to people's ideals and their own preconceived notions of what a gifted person should be. I was in 2nd grade and was able to absorb 6th grade level, so all of a sudden everyone had images of Doogie Howser going through their minds. When I wasn't interested, nor capable, of living up to their own unrealistic expectations, people were baffled and would soon write me off and chastised me for not living up to their expectations, or their hopes to live vicariously through what they wanted me to be. They decided I was less valuable to them than the average bear, precisely because in their minds I chose to not live up to their ridiculous notions of what a gifted child's value should be. It's an insane paradox.

Meanwhile, I couldn't spell worth shit, and people around me couldn't comprehend the fact that a child who ought to be a case study in giftedness was constantly flunking an "easy" subject like spelling. The only conclusion they could figure out was that I was simply lazy. So their appraisal of my human value sunk even further. Then, when I didn't get along with classmates I became bad. The standard line was "You're smarter than everyone else, you should be able to find a way to get along with them." In their minds, my intelligence should have been the answer to everything. When it turned out to not be the answer, it was because something was wrong with me. The result was that I was seen as a less worth while human being. I've learned that people don't measure you based on who or what you are. They measure based on what they expect of you. They rarely bother to stop and check whether their expectations are reasonable or valid.

Just look at the way that intelligent people are criticized by society. The chief complaint isn't that they're intelligent. It's that despite being intelligent they haven't done enough or solved enough problems. What do you hear people say about doctors? "Well, if the doctors are so smart why can't they cure the common cold?" When the subject turns to biology and cosmology it's "They think they're so smart with their evolution and big bang theory, but they still can't tell us where all the stuff came from before all that happened, so I don't believe anything they say, I believe what the bible tells me." So on and so forth....

On a side note, research has shown that high intelligence can have a negative social impact. The idea that the "best and brightest" achieve the highest success has been shown to be patently false. While it's true that individuals who reach the highest levels of professional and social success tend to be above average intelligence, there's also a maximum threshold. IIRC, the 115 to 130 range tends to be the sweet spot. As a person's IQ goes higher, their chances of professional and social success diminish, notably below that of the average intelligence individual. This is belief is that being "above average" tends to give people the ability to wield the advantages of being more intelligent, while still being close enough that they can relate well enough that they can be effective leaders, which translates into upward mobility professionally and socially. Meanwhile, the higher end of the spectrum begins having difficulty relating to the "average Joe" and can become impatient when feeling like they are being held back by other people's shortcomings. And they can especially grow frustrated when dealing with superiors who are substantially less intelligent who end up forcing them to operate against their own better knowing. That then leads to the "well if you're so smart" complex which results in the gifted individual being viewed unfavorably.
Your story is so much like my story it's eerie. I also went through school with the "gifted" label, might as well have been "tackling dummy" or "punching bag". I still despise jocks to this day.

Disagree. White people came up with the concept of IQ tests specifically to try and pretend they were smarter than everyone else.

Ugh, no. That you're view is based on misunderstandings of 150 year old rejected philosophies of men unqualified for the subject in the first place makes any further discussion with you on this matter unworthy of my time or effort.
History disagrees with you but we will agree to disagree.

I've noticed this aswell, many on the ultra right lack a basic understanding of anything they're against.

I've noticed that about every six to eight months this same stuff gets posted.

I am not a conservative.

But I have to ask just how is it that democrats are so want to call the GOP stupid when the GOP has essentially kicked their asses in two of the last three elections and holds 60+ percent of state houses.

If the conservatives are stupid.

What does that make the democrats or liberals ?
Conservative hater dupes are so dumb and brainwashed they vote in off years even though Pubs have made politics so disgusting....we'll show up for Hillary...or against Booosh or Walker...

People didn't think about the black outlook, not a conspiracy...

I've noticed this aswell, many on the ultra right lack a basic understanding of anything they're against.

I am not a conservative.

But I have to ask just how is it that democrats are so want to call the GOP stupid when the GOP has essentially kicked their asses in two of the last three elections and holds 60+ percent of state houses.

Conservative hater dupes are so dumb and brainwashed they vote in off years even though Pubs have made politics so disgusting....we'll show up for Hillary...or against Booosh or Walker...

Show up for whoever you want.

I will be happy with a federal government that is gridlocked.

And I'll take your lack of data to mean you can't support your claim.

I think it's the other way around, society does not value it's smartest people enough. Just look at TV, Bill Nye has to act like a silly clown just to get people to absorb some knowledge while people take the dolts on "reality" TV far too seriously. Intellectuals are too often lonely misfits who get passed over for jobs, promotions and mates because they are not as social.

I tend to agree that society doesn't adequately value our brightest and most gifted people, but I find that to be due to over emphasis on measuring a person's total human worth based on their IQ. What I found through most of my life was that because I was deemed exceptionally gifted, I was expected to live up to people's ideals and their own preconceived notions of what a gifted person should be. I was in 2nd grade and was able to absorb 6th grade level, so all of a sudden everyone had images of Doogie Howser going through their minds. When I wasn't interested, nor capable, of living up to their own unrealistic expectations, people were baffled and would soon write me off and chastised me for not living up to their expectations, or their hopes to live vicariously through what they wanted me to be. They decided I was less valuable to them than the average bear, precisely because in their minds I chose to not live up to their ridiculous notions of what a gifted child's value should be. It's an insane paradox.

Meanwhile, I couldn't spell worth shit, and people around me couldn't comprehend the fact that a child who ought to be a case study in giftedness was constantly flunking an "easy" subject like spelling. The only conclusion they could figure out was that I was simply lazy. So their appraisal of my human value sunk even further. Then, when I didn't get along with classmates I became bad. The standard line was "You're smarter than everyone else, you should be able to find a way to get along with them." In their minds, my intelligence should have been the answer to everything. When it turned out to not be the answer, it was because something was wrong with me. The result was that I was seen as a less worth while human being. I've learned that people don't measure you based on who or what you are. They measure based on what they expect of you. They rarely bother to stop and check whether their expectations are reasonable or valid.

Just look at the way that intelligent people are criticized by society. The chief complaint isn't that they're intelligent. It's that despite being intelligent they haven't done enough or solved enough problems. What do you hear people say about doctors? "Well, if the doctors are so smart why can't they cure the common cold?" When the subject turns to biology and cosmology it's "They think they're so smart with their evolution and big bang theory, but they still can't tell us where all the stuff came from before all that happened, so I don't believe anything they say, I believe what the bible tells me." So on and so forth....

On a side note, research has shown that high intelligence can have a negative social impact. The idea that the "best and brightest" achieve the highest success has been shown to be patently false. While it's true that individuals who reach the highest levels of professional and social success tend to be above average intelligence, there's also a maximum threshold. IIRC, the 115 to 130 range tends to be the sweet spot. As a person's IQ goes higher, their chances of professional and social success diminish, notably below that of the average intelligence individual. This is belief is that being "above average" tends to give people the ability to wield the advantages of being more intelligent, while still being close enough that they can relate well enough that they can be effective leaders, which translates into upward mobility professionally and socially. Meanwhile, the higher end of the spectrum begins having difficulty relating to the "average Joe" and can become impatient when feeling like they are being held back by other people's shortcomings. And they can especially grow frustrated when dealing with superiors who are substantially less intelligent who end up forcing them to operate against their own better knowing. That then leads to the "well if you're so smart" complex which results in the gifted individual being viewed unfavorably.
Your story is so much like my story it's eerie. I also went through school with the "gifted" label, might as well have been "tackling dummy" or "punching bag". I still despise jocks to this day.
So, you got your ass kicked a lot in high school?

Of course they thought about the Black outlook. The concept was used to remove Blacks from places they were not desired by using "scientific" evidence of low intelligence like they did Blacks in the military during WW1. The IQ concept is tied directly to eugenics and some of the rationale for Jim Crow..

History of the race and intelligence controversy - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

I am not a conservative.

What claim? Lowest turnout in years...

I am not a conservative.

That Rush and Fox somehow taint 25% of the population.

Of course they thought about the Black outlook. The concept was used to remove Blacks from places they were not desired by using "scientific" evidence of low intelligence like they did Blacks in the military during WW1. The IQ concept is tied directly to eugenics and some of the rationale for Jim Crow..

History of the race and intelligence controversy - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
They certainly didn't need another way to discriminate- already had enough lol...Scientists who came up with tests wouldn't do it...
I don't believe in conspiracies, except the Pub Propaganda Machine/money grubber one...

I was in a 7-12 high school, the football team beat up nearly everyone especially the nerds, sucked balls. What of it?

he

I am not a conservative.

Rush, Savage, Levin, Heritage, Examiner Times Telegraph etc, the Kochs, REPUBLICAN pols, your redneck friends hate talk, etc etc etc, it's all the same crap. 10-15 google pages of websites repeating endlessly stupid bs.

he

I am not a conservative.

Rush, Savage, Levin, Heritage, the Kochs, REPUBLICAN pols, your redneck friends etc etc etc, it's all the same crap.,

Thanks for wasting my time.

I was in a 7-12 high school, the football team beat up nearly everyone especially the nerds, sucked balls. What of it?
It explains your obvious psychological problems and hostility toward anything you perceive as conservative. I expect to read about you in the news some day.

So living in the ghetto, living around people that kill at 10 times per capita and ignoring stats = intelligence.

lol!!!!

Having a strong family = being stupid
Staying with your children = being stupid
Being around sane and good people = being stupid.

This study is stupid.

Take it up with the study's authors....But you might want to check out the meanings of such terms as : IDEOLOGIES, and COGNITIVE CAPACITIES.
Nope just the idiot that would swallow such nonsense.should we believe all the studies that suggest liberalism is a mental disorder,there are plenty?

They certainly didn't need another way to discriminate- already had enough lol...Scientists who came up with tests wouldn't do it...
I don't believe in conspiracies, except the Pub Propaganda Machine/money grubber one...
Of course they didnt need another way to discriminate however, they did need a way deal with their cognitive dissonance. This allowed them to develop rationale for keeping Blacks in their place and out of the way that made more sense "scientifically" and not just based on random observations. Now they had a paper trail so to say. A conspiracy is something that is not proven. The history of IQ testing and its relation to eugenics and segregation is documented.

Of course they didnt need another way to discriminate however, they did need a way deal with their cognitive dissonance. This allowed them to develop rationale for keeping Blacks in their place and out of the way that made more sense "scientifically" and not just based on random observations. Now they had a paper trail so to say. A conspiracy is something that is not proven. The history of IQ testing and its relation to eugenics and segregation is documented.
We get it, you tested as a moron.

In light of the right wingers' anger in the SCOTUS' recent decisions, here's a possible explanation. NOTE: I DO NOT believe that all right wingers have low IQs, but I DO believe that most people with low IQs tend to be ultra conservatives.

Are racists dumb? Do conservatives tend to be less intelligent than liberals? A provocative new study from Brock University in Ontario suggests the answer to both questions may be a qualified yes. The study, published in Psychological Science, showed that people who score low on I.Q. tests in childhood are more likely to develop prejudiced beliefs and socially conservative politics in adulthood.

I.Q., a score determined by standardized tests, but whether the tests truly reveal intelligence remains a topic of hot debate among psychologists. Dr. Gordon Hodson, a professor of psychology at the university and the study's lead author, said the finding represented evidence of a vicious cycle: People of low intelligence gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, which stress resistance to change and, in turn, prejudice, he told
LiveScience.

Why might less intelligent people be drawn to conservative ideologies? Because such ideologies feature "structure and order" that make it easier to comprehend a complicated world, Dodson said. "Unfortunately, many of these features can also contribute to prejudice," he added.

Dr. Brian Nosek, a University of Virginia psychologist, echoed those sentiments. "Reality is complicated and messy. Ideologies get rid of the messiness and impose a simpler solution. So, it may not be surprising that people with less cognitive capacity will be attracted to simplifying ideologies."

What you fail to see is both Liberal and Conservatives can go to far...

Extreme behavior can easily be found in both, IQ has no political preference...

The ruling is purely political, you can not legislate morality nor create laws that change it...

So let me get this straight, you can question the IQ of Conservatives, yet they cannot question the morality of Gay Marriage?

You need to work on your own IQ...

Forum List

Back