Supreme Court: Coach Can Pray on the Sidelines. Ruling 6-3

Status
Not open for further replies.
No.

When someone becomes an employee, private or public, they do not give up their rights.

So then you are saying that a teacher should be free to speak to their students about their same sex spouse, since they have not given up any rights.

So then you are saying that a teacher should be free to speak to their students about their same sex spouse, since they have not given up any rights.

See if you can find the pertinent line in the above. I highlighted it for you.

Here is the really funny part as pointed out by Justice Gorsuch:

"Mr. Kennedy prayed during a period when school employees were free to speak with a friend, call for a reservation at a restaurant, check email, or attend to other personal matters. He offered his prayers quietly while his students were otherwise occupied. Still, the Bremerton School District disciplined him anyway. It did so because it thought anything less could lead a reasonable observer to conclude (mistakenly) that it endorsed Mr. Kennedy’s religious beliefs. That reasoning was misguided. Both the Free Exercise and Free Speech Clauses of the First Amendment protect expressions like Mr. Kennedy’s. Nor does a proper understanding of the Amendment’s Establishment Clause require the government to single out private religious speech for special disfavor. The Constitution and the best of our traditions counsel mutual respect and tolerance, not censorship and suppression, for religious and nonreligious views alike."

LINK

If you consider going against Jesus' teachings the sign of a good Christian, anyway.

Why do you think Jesus got it all wrong when He said to go behind closed doors and pray silently in private instead of doing so in very public ways?

Jesus prayed publicly: in the synagogue; with his disciples in open areas; in stories where there were thousands present. Jesus did not make a commandment never to pray in public. He said this:

When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men

In Matt 6:5-8. As you see, the hypocrites pray ONLY to be seen by men. Their primary goal is not to give thanks to or make connection to God. That's the difference, and it's why Jesus broke His own commandment. He wasn't a hypocrite.

Bad decision by the Court.

The Coach is a paid employee, by choosing to pray to his chosen god he is endorsing that god as part of his official duties as head coach. Endorsing one religion over all others is the first step to establishing it.

I cannot wait till the Satanist get ahold of this and start to hold their version of "prayers" after a football game.
He isn't endorsing his God. That's a bullshit propaganda term. He has a Constitutional right. No one is buying that crap any longer.

He isn't endorsing his God. That's a bullshit propaganda term. He has a Constitutional right. No one is buying that crap any longer.

If praying to someone/thing is not an endorsement I do not know what would be

I don’t want to see you guys whining when Muslims, Satanists, and Pastafarians do the same thing.

“Gather around kids. Let’s all form a pentagon and thank Satan for this victory.“

God, the First Amendment, and Trump win again. On the Trump appointed justices, I believe one of the smartest things that Trump did in nominating these justices is to listen to the Federalist Society that painstakingly graded these judges.

donald-trump-high-five.gif

I agree, you don't know the definition of "endorsement". Your new judge also doesn't know the definition of a few words. Thank God we have 6 educated people on the Supreme Court.

an act of giving one's public approval or support to someone or something.

So, praying is not giving approval or support? You sure you want to stick with that?

God, the First Amendment, and Trump win again. On the Trump appointed justices, I believe one of the smartest things that Trump did in nominating these justices is to listen to the Federalist Society that painstakingly graded these judges.

donald-trump-high-five.gif

tolerant-liberal.jpg

That's not the entire issue, and you still haven't read the opinion.

If you're going to say this much about it--read the opinion.

I was responding to this comment...

When someone becomes an employee, private or public, they do not give up their rights.

Do you agree with this?

I'm not saying that at all. Your agenda ends in this topic right here.

I am saying that a teacher, on his or her own, in public, is permitted to pray to whatever God they worship, and the Government cannot stop it.

If you think that a person praying in public is formal education, then you need to evaluate what you know about education.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back