The $2 trillion war

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
Iraq War Cost U.S. More Than $2 Trillion, Could Grow to $6 Trillion, Says Watson Institute Study

By Daniel Trotta

NEW YORK, March 14 (Reuters) - The U.S. war in Iraq has cost $1.7 trillion with an additional $490 billion in benefits owed to war veterans, expenses that could grow to more than $6 trillion over the next four decades counting interest, a study released on Thursday said.

The war has killed at least 134,000 Iraqi civilians and may have contributed to the deaths of as many as four times that number, according to the Costs of War Project by the Watson Institute for International Studies at Brown University.

When security forces, insurgents, journalists and humanitarian workers were included, the war's death toll rose to an estimated 176,000 to 189,000, the study said.

The report, the work of about 30 academics and experts, was published in advance of the 10th anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq on March 19, 2003.

It was also an update of a 2011 report the Watson Institute produced ahead of the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks that assessed the cost in dollars and lives from the resulting wars in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq.

The 2011 study said the combined cost of the wars was at least $3.7 trillion, based on actual expenditures from the U.S. Treasury and future commitments, such as the medical and disability claims of U.S. war veterans.

That estimate climbed to nearly $4 trillion in the update.

The estimated death toll from the three wars, previously at 224,000 to 258,000, increased to a range of 272,000 to 329,000 two years later.

Excluded were indirect deaths caused by the mass exodus of doctors and a devastated infrastructure, for example, while the costs left out trillions of dollars in interest the United States could pay over the next 40 years.

The interest on expenses for the Iraq war could amount to about $4 trillion during that period, the report said.

The report also examined the burden on U.S. veterans and their families, showing a deep social cost as well as an increase in spending on veterans. The 2011 study found U.S. medical and disability claims for veterans after a decade of war totaled $33 billion. Two years later, that number had risen to $134.7 billion.

Iraq War Cost U.S. More Than $2 Trillion, Could Grow to $6 Trillion, Says Watson Institute Study

Maybe this institute will let us know how much Obama's drone program is costing us and how many lives and casualties it has racked up

Like there has never been wars before

So it's okay. That's how you defend it.

Holy crap, Stephanie. Seriously.

not defending any war, but like I said, it's NOT LIKE there hasn't been wars
and I don't see you wailing over Obama war he is carrying out with drones and how much that is costing us

And now you're comparing the costs of the Iraq war to those of drones.

I'm not going to continue with this, Stephanie. I don't even know how to respond to that.

Breathtaking.

and I don't see you wailing over Obama war he is carrying out with drones and how much that is costing us

I'm not going to continue with this, Stephanie. I don't even know how to respond to that.

Breathtaking.

ooooooooo breathtaking..good I'm not continuing with you dramatics either

Breathtaking.

ooooooooo breathtaking..good I'm not continuing with you dramatics either

Thousands of American soldiers dead.

Thousands of American soldiers maimed.

Thousands of American families destroyed.

Thousands of American children orphaned.

Thousands of innocent Iraqis mutilated.

Two trillion dollars (plus interest) wasted.

Iran emboldened.

My "dramatics", Stephanie? What in the world is wrong with you?

War and national defense costs money.. and while you may or may not be one who agrees with war X or war Y, the fact is that they are things that the government legitimately spends on.. a justified expense...

And not saying war is 'good', but sometimes they have to happen

Wish we would have cut 2T from other areas of spending though to offset... could have easily cut that much from entitlement spending

War and national defense costs money.. and while you may or may not be one who agrees with war X or war Y, the fact is that they are things that the government legitimately spends on.. a justified expense...

Wish we would have cut 2T from other areas of spending though to offset... could have easily cut that much from entitlement spending

"Have to" is the operative phrase.

This was and is a disaster, and many of us were pleading for it not to happen.

The costs I list above are the result.

Dammit conservatives! this is your chance to own up to this disaster and come to terms with the fact our debt sky rocketed because of this war and the trillions wasted. Taking ownership of the war in Iraq and admitting to the flaws in conservatism we all can see might be the first step to gaining respect outside of the right wing echo chamber.

The writing is on the wall for crying out loud. own it GOP, this is your disaster.

Last edited:
Like there has never been wars before
"The total cost of World War I to the United States (was) approximately $32 billion, or 52 percent of gross national product at the time."
In my humble opinion we are still trying to correct the mess created in the aftermath of World War 1.
After the war the Ottoman Empire was divided up, and the British Mandate of Mesopotamia was established by League of Nations mandate . Britain imposed a Hāshimite monarchy on Iraq and defined the territorial limits of Iraq without taking into account the politics of the different ethnic and religious groups in the country, in particular those of the Kurds and the Assyrians to the north. During the British occupation, the Shi'ites and Kurds fought for independence. Iraq also became an oligarchy government at this time.
History of Iraq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So the entitlements that people have been paying into their whole lives should be cut to fund an unnecessary war? No thanks.

And I think it should be cut from the Military Industrial Complex instead. Let machines of war pay for machines of war. Reduce our nuclear arsenal instead of granny's SS.

$2 Trillion on a useless war and we can't afford healthcare for our citizens

"Have to" is the operative phrase.

This was and is a disaster, and many of us were pleading for it not to happen.

The costs I list above are the result.

In YOUR opinion.. in MY opinion it was justified and long overdue... our job should have been finished right the FIRST time we were there.. and because it was not, it led us to that...

But remember.. the MINUTE Saddam violated the terms of cease fire (which he did repeatedly) it was justified and needed to be taken care of.. it was not and the situation was neglected for too long...

So the entitlements that people have been paying into their whole lives should be cut to fund an unnecessary war? No thanks.

Most receiving entitlements are NOT the contributors... the food stamps, the welfare, the Obama phones, etc... are not handed out to the tax payers.. they are handed out to the entitlement junkies

National Defense (hence war, etc) is a charge of the federal government.. taking care of the personal WANTS and/or needs of individuals is not

And I think it should be cut from the Military Industrial Complex instead. Let machines of war pay for machines of war. Reduce our nuclear arsenal instead of granny's SS.

Plenty of other entitlements to cut before you take away "granny's SS"... even if you do try and phase it out for people entering the workforce now or who have only been in the workforce 10 or 20 years

Forum List

Back