The Appropriation Of Black Culture By White Americans

Asclepias

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2013
Growing up I noticed that white people always seemed to be behind the 8 ball when it came to being current with Black culture. However, it seems that younger white people have whole heartedly jumped on the Black bandwagon and have taken many aspects of Black culture to incorporate into mainstream culture. From rap music to cornrows and now to big booties and curvy bodies Black culture seems to drive mainstream culture more than ever. What is causing this shift?

In five more years it will be latino. I wouldn't put much stock in teenage and mid-twenty year Olds. They historically are naive, I'm sure some aspects will stick. I still cling to parts of my youth counter culture from twenty years ago.

Growing up I noticed that white people always seemed to be behind the 8 ball when it came to being current with Black culture. However, it seems that younger white people have whole heartedly jumped on the Black bandwagon and have taken many aspects of Black culture to incorporate into mainstream culture. From rap music to cornrows and now to big booties and curvy bodies Black culture seems to drive mainstream culture more than ever. What is causing this shift?

Growing up I noticed that white people always seemed to be behind the 8 ball when it came to being current with Black culture.

We are behind the curve when it comes to crime and out of wedlock children too.

Growing up I noticed that white people always seemed to be behind the 8 ball when it came to being current with Black culture.

Not in crime. You set the standard when it comes to crime. However, we are talking about Black culture not white culture.

I haven't noticed hundreds of white people running around like savages, burning down Korean businesses. I haven't noticed 80% of white people not knowing who their father is. I haven't noticed 74% of urban white males being convicted of a violent felony by the time they're adults. I haven't noticed a thousand white Chicago teenagers murdering one another every year. I haven't noticed gunshot wounds as the #1 killer of white males age 14-28. I could go on all night, couldn't I? Corn rows, rap, and gang-banging. Those are the highlights of black "culture"? How fucking sad. I'll pass, thanks anyway.

Not in crime. You set the standard when it comes to crime. However, we are talking about Black culture not white culture.

Yeah, what's the percentage of black men in jail?
Keep setting that curve.

I haven't noticed hundreds of white people running around like savages, burning down Korean businesses. I haven't noticed 80% of white people not knowing who their father is. I haven't noticed 74% of urban white males being convicted of a violent felony by the time they're adults. I haven't noticed a thousand white Chicago teenagers murdering one another every year. I haven't noticed gunshot wounds as the #1 killer of white males age 14-28. I could go on all night, couldn't I? Corn rows, rap, and gang-banging. Those are the highlights of black "culture"? How fucking sad. I'll pass, thanks anyway.

So what's wrong with gangbangin'?

Looting and rioting is what Blacks got from white people. Like when Jack Johnson beat the ass of the white heavyweight champion, white people flipped out and started the first riots. We are talking about Black culture not white culture.

Yeah, what's the percentage of black men in jail?
Keep setting that curve.
Thats another problem with white culture. You seem to like letting your white criminals go free to serial kill, mass murder and sexually molest animals.

"Thats another problem with white culture. You seem to like letting your white criminals go free to serial kill, mass murder and sexually molest animals."

Boy you're really out on a limb, aren't you? Well, OK, we're not perfect, but then people from my culture were discussing the fundaments nuclear physics and the probability of an infinite universe 3000 years ago...you know?

"quote" button inop

More cultural innovation comes from blacks, there is more cultural churn and so more new features get traction and some bust out to the wider culture.

Black culture is more showboaty, very loaded with symbolism.Blacks are good at thinking up stuff like this. It centers on kids always seeking a new way to be cool and keeps expanding.

This is evident in our history. Jazz, Rock, R&B, Rap, Ska Hip Hop all came from blacks. Gang signs, Jive Turkey, Hang Ten, wassup, and underwear showing came from blacks as well.

So lots of innovation but my beef is that every new innovation is a step towards simpler and stupider. Its always a step down towards the lowest common denominator. Jazz was more complex than rock. Singing melodic songs was more complex than spoken word poetry.

When white invent culture, they invent opera and classical music which weaves together dozens of instruments. That;s not popular though but it sure is complex.

I'd much rather black innovation build towards complexity rather than towards simplicity.

"Thats another problem with white culture. You seem to like letting your white criminals go free to serial kill, mass murder and sexually molest animals."

Boy you're really out on a limb, aren't you? Well, OK, we're not perfect, but then people from my culture were discussing the fundaments nuclear physics and the probability of an infinite universe 3000 years ago...you know?

"quote" button inop
Are you Black? Your people? 3000 years ago you were learning at the feet of Black people.

More cultural innovation comes from blacks, there is more cultural churn and so more new features get traction and some bust out to the wider culture.

Black culture is more showboaty, very loaded with symbolism.Blacks are good at thinking up stuff like this. It centers on kids always seeking a new way to be cool and keeps expanding.

This is evident in our history. Jazz, Rock, R&B, Rap, Ska Hip Hop all came from blacks. Gang signs, Jive Turkey, Hang Ten, wassup, and underwear showing came from blacks as well.

So lots of innovation but my beef is that every new innovation is a step towards simpler and stupider. Its always a step down towards the lowest common denominator. Jazz was more complex than rock. Singing melodic songs was more complex than spoken word poetry.

When white invent culture, they invent opera and classical music which weaves together dozens of instruments. That;s not popular though but it sure is complex.

I'd much rather black innovation build towards complexity rather than towards simplicity.

Only people with insecurities want things to be complex. That way they can pretend they know more than someone else that only has to study what you did to acquire the knowledge. True genius is when everything is simple. Haven't you noticed that when someone is a master at something they make it look easy?

"quote" button inop
Are you Black? Your people? 3000 years ago you were learning at the feet of Black people.
I dont know if that is true, but today black people are at our feet. Unfortunately they seem incapable of learning. Its easier to just drop out of school apparently.

"Only people with insecurities want things to be complex. That way they can pretend they know more than someone else that only has to study what you did to acquire the knowledge. True genius is when everything is simple. Haven't you noticed that when someone is a master at something they make it look easy?"

Very insightful, and very true. Simplicity is it's own beauty. It's so beautiful because it's so difficult to achieve.

"quote" button inop

Rebellion against their parents.

"Only people with insecurities want things to be complex. That way they can pretend they know more than someone else that only has to study what you did to acquire the knowledge. True genius is when everything is simple. Haven't you noticed that when someone is a master at something they make it look easy?"

Very insightful, and very true. Simplicity is it's own beauty. It's so beautiful because it's so difficult to achieve.

"quote" button inop
Im going to have to disagree. People who compose classical music are called geniuses frequently and so are chess players. Have you ever heard anyone refer to a rapper as a genius? For the record it doesnt count when Kanye calls himself a genius. It doesnt take a genius to write rap lyrics. The lyrics might be clever and possibly even deep, but not genius.

The ability to do complex things is genius.

Forum List

Back